UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince will remain No. 1 QB

Full story: Whittier Daily News

One day after telling reporters on a conference call that he planned to put the quarterback position back up for grabs, UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel said sophomore Kevin Prince will start against Houston on Saturday at the Rose Bowl.
Comments
18,401 - 18,420 of 27,092 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

“Taking theTopix summer off!”

Since: Jul 10

San Marino, CA

#19376 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>What's done is done, but sorry I need to say my seethe about the Howland firing as I am not sure if this won't reverse our reputation further into the abyss.
Today’s expectations for college basketball coaches is the heart of the problem. With the one and done option for these kids, it is hard to roster a cohesive team, and then be expected to restock when they move on for greener pa$tures.
Say what you will, but the Howland Era in Westwood ends with a not too shabby 233-107 during his decade at the helm of the Bruins. He won four conference titles in the past eight years and guided UCLA to the Final Four in three straight seasons from 2006-08.
But after that great start and then only having two NCAA tournament games, plus missing March Madness altogether twice in the three seasons before this year, having had a losing record in 2009-10, NBA level players bolting after just one freshman season, and unworthy players transferring made most Bruin faithful uneasy.
This season's expectations were quite high in Westwood with Howland bringing in the nation’s second-ranked recruiting class led of course by forward Shabazz Muhammad. And regardless that expectations are always high in Westwood, I heard everyone saying that it’s “final four and/or championship or bust”.
But is it really fair to compare all future UCLA coaches to the Wizard of Westwood? As we know, Wooden coached the Bruins 27 seasons, appearing in 12 final fours and winning 10 national championships.
But consider that the first 15 seasons for the Wizard resulted in ZERO final four appearances or national championships. With that 15-year stat alone and considering Howland's UCLA record, Wooden would've been relieved of his coaching duties (just as Howland) in today’s UCLA college basketball landscape.
Again what is done is done and I hope we find the right fit (I like Fey from Gonzaga or Stevens from Butler) but I still think Howland made players more NBA ready than any college coach I can think of. Howland did a solid job, it just wasn't a Wizard job!
Obviously less patience and teaching is no longer the name of the game today. Hopefully whoever we do land, our fans will think is more "Wooden-like" in coaching philosophy and appearance along with more "Wizard-like" results IF given the proper time!
Go Bruins!!!
Good job, this post is actually heart felt and insightful. Every once in awhile you (B)ruins (yes EVEN Rob) makes a comment that is a good representation of a subject without any hype or slant.

San Marino, CA

#19377 Mar 27, 2013
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was on campus in 2006 the day RB5, ML11, LDW21, et al, had their Pro Day. Talk about a spotlight; Loker Stadium was jam-packed!
Heard MB7 killed it today and the arm strength/injury issue was put to rest! Looking forward to yet another first round pick for of a Trojan!

FIGHT ON
Trojan

Encino, CA

#19378 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonderfully said Brewie! Brings tears to my True Blue Bruin eyes...The only thing you forgot to mention was that without Sam Gilbert there would have not been a Wizard. Otherwise spot on....Go Bruins!!!
They like to ignore that simple fact.
Bruin Nation

Los Angeles, CA

#19379 Mar 27, 2013
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome back Chosen Babeler right where you left off with your selective statistics that always conveniently miss data (harmful to you or SUC's reputation).
In case your computer had a glitch while hatefully looking up UCLA first rounds picks, I thought the least I could do is help you out to include those respected NBA players 1999 and later "overlooked" by your inconsistent details:
JRUE HOLIDAY (1ST RND/#17)
DARREN COLLISON (1ST RND/#21)
RUSSELL WESTBROOK (1ST RND/#4)
KEVIN LOVE (1ST RND/#5)
ARON AFFLALO (1ST RND/#27)
JORDAN FARMAR (1ST RND/#27)
BARON DAVIS (1ST RND/#3)
You are too comical! Heh heh heh heh heh heh
Ya I agree. To keep with our Great Bruin Tradition I heard that Dan Guerrero is about to name UCLA Alum Bruce McNall as the new Sam Gilbert to our BB program. Bruce is an honest man and a Bruin! Happy days are here again!....Go Bruins!
Bruin For Life

United States

#19381 Mar 27, 2013
Getting not Herring

San Marino, CA

#19382 Mar 27, 2013
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
They like to ignore that simple fact.
Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!

FIGHT ON

“Love El Monte & my trojans”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19383 Mar 27, 2013
Chosen Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!
FIGHT ON
Fight On Ct Fight On
Bruin Nation

Los Angeles, CA

#19384 Mar 27, 2013
fight__on wrote:
<quoted text>
Fight On Ct Fight On
Ya I agree, I love your Bruin Blue and Gold make up ;). I have to ask where you get it done, I can't seem to find that shade of blue you must tell me your secret. Howz about a cruise in my 66 Chevelle in macho Bruin Blue. I'm cruising Montebllo HS tomorrow looking for the next BFL, you ought to ride shot gun with me toots....Go Bruins!
Bruin For Life

Los Angeles, CA

#19385 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya I agree. To keep with our Great Bruin Tradition I heard that Dan Guerrero is about to name UCLA Alum Bruce McNall as the new Sam Gilbert to our BB program. Bruce is an honest man and a Bruin! Happy days are here again!....Go Bruins!
Bruce McNall! One of the greatest Bruins of all time...I can't wait!!! Go Bruins!
Trojan

La Habra, CA

#19386 Mar 27, 2013
Chosen Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>Well at this point it is what is is, and the Gilbert/Wooden era will not diminish the fact that they are recognized with those basketball banners in their rafters. Just like I wont let the Trojan haters attempt to diminish the domination of the USC/Pete Carroll football era and the bullcrap some try to pull asking to take away any of our WON-ON-THE-FIELD championships!
FIGHT ON
OK, CT, you must be hungover. I know you're not this slow.

I'm OK with acknowledging the banners w/o mentioning the improprieties. But idiots in Westwood shouldn't rag on USC for its improprieties, if they're going to try and deny their own. For the little bitches who cry, "There wasn't a finding in JW's case", they're just showing what morons they are. The NCAA's compliance department of the 60's can't possibly be compared to the compliance of the 2000's...primarily due to technology.

Everyone with a brain knows they had professional players up & down that Bruin roster. In fact, one dumbass even set the standard when referring to USC football players...if a Trojan says players are being paid, they must be. So, since Walton has admitted it, it must have also been the csse when JW was the coach.

It's either one way or the other for BOTH. But not this way for one and that way for the other. Only an IDIOT would try to use one set of rules for USC and another set of rules for the Bruin.
Bill Walton

Los Angeles, CA

#19387 Mar 27, 2013
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm OK with acknowledging the banners w/o mentioning the improprieties. But idiots in Westwood shouldn't rag on USC for its improprieties, if they're going to try and deny their own. For the little bitches who cry, "There wasn't a finding in JW's case", they're just showing what morons they are. The NCAA's compliance department of the 60's can't possibly be compared to the compliance of the 2000's...primarily due to technology.
Everyone with a brain knows they had professional players up & down that Bruin roster. In fact, one dumbass even set the standard when referring to USC football players...if a Trojan says players are being paid, they must be. So, since Walton has admitted it, it must have also been the csse when JW was the coach.
It's either one way or the other for BOTH. But not this way for one and that way for the other. Only an IDIOT would try to use one set of rules for USC and another set of rules for the Bruin.
I remember my junior year I had offers from both the NBA and the ABA. After consulting with Coach Wooden he said I should go where the money is the most plentiful....So I did I stayed another year at UCLA..Bye Bye Ben, Hello Mark Gottfried...Go Bruins!
Bruin For Life

United States

#19388 Mar 27, 2013
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't why I'm even responding to this bull crap...first of all moron, JW and UCLA were cleared if any wrong doing while your your Trojans were smashed into the ground by the NCAA...THAT is the difference...what a moron!
Trojan

La Habra, CA

#19389 Mar 27, 2013
Bruin For Life wrote:
<quoted text>I don't why I'm even responding to this bull crap...first of all moron, JW and UCLA were cleared if any wrong doing while your your Trojans were smashed into the ground by the NCAA...THAT is the difference...what a moron!
YOU are the moron and in denial. You are the exact type of idiot to which I was referring.(Not surprised...too stupid to know what sour grapes means, typing the words "more stupider", the idiot who claimed if players stated it, it must be true, UNLESS IT'S A BRUIN WHO SAYS IT ABOUT JW!! LOL!!!!)

You are still and will always be the BIGGEST IDIOT on Topix. As Bill Engvall would say, here's your sign. ROTFLMAO!!!

“Pac 12 South front runners”

Since: Nov 10

Westwood

#19390 Mar 28, 2013
Poor baby demanded to be traded now liv with it!
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--ca...

Westwood

#19391 Mar 28, 2013

Westwood

#19392 Mar 28, 2013
From an article on USA today on Barkleys pro day;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013...
"Woods, a potential first-round pick, said Barkley's balls looked "great." "
Really ????

LOL
Inland emperor Trojan

Fontana, CA

#19393 Mar 28, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
He didn't graduate already?!!....what was he doing while he was there??!
Inland emperor Trojan

Fontana, CA

#19394 Mar 28, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
From an article on USA today on Barkleys pro day;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013...
"Woods, a potential first-round pick, said Barkley's balls looked "great." "
Really ????
LOL
IDN , what did he mean?....like the way they were hanging or something?.....kinda like a ucla twin Ball-Sack!.....It was probably UCLA's CR Roberts who made the comment/observation!,lmao
Inland emperor Trojan

Fontana, CA

#19395 Mar 28, 2013
Bruin For Life wrote:
<quoted text>OMG!!! you have the gall to even mention MB7 in the same sentence with Luck and RG3???? buaaahhahahahaha MB7 wasn't even the best QB in the city!!! Brett Hundley was!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!
trOJans are H I L A R I O U S!!!!!
I say Mora(n)benches Hundley at some time next year , for Dumbness on the field!
Artie Manhattan

Los Angeles, CA

#19396 Mar 28, 2013
Bruin Nation wrote:
Poor baby demanded to be traded now liv with it!
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--ca...
Ya I agree, my Bruins may be in the same predicament. We let ol Ben Holwand go, looks like the best we can get is Mark Gottfried. Firing Ben Howland so we can hire Mark Gottfried? That's like me driving my 66 Chevelle in reverse on the 405 heading to Ramamdo's.....Go Bruins!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr religionislies 226,397
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Yeah 1,100,625
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr Pearl Jam 305,467
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Aug 26 RICK SERVICE 29
offer Aug 23 Peter 1
Addition of Emmitt Holt is "Big" for Indiana Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE