Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310654 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Troll Be Gone.”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#323201 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. I'm glad that you think it is a lie. It gives me hope to know that you think birth and life is better than abortion.
So you are admitting no pro choicer ever said that! So why lie? Is it christ like?

I don't think birth is better than abortion or abortion is better than birth. If it isn't my pregnancy I simply don't care either way.

“Troll Be Gone.”

Location hidden

#323202 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you answer me? I didn't ask a question.
I answered your post. Is this getting too difficult for you to follow?

“Troll Be Gone.”

Location hidden

#323203 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
"I didn't assume anything about you" Yes you did, second paragraph.
Katie said
"It's you who seems to want it both ways. You want to pretend not inducing abortion is the loving thing to do, that putting newborns up for adoption is better, but you'll insist all the kids in the foster care system are abused and neglected. Life just doesn't work like that. Best thing any of you PLers can do is mind your own business and adopt just one available kid (no matter age, gender, race, medical and mental issues) and give them a "forever home".
But you won't. You'll look down your nose and act like they're all the *Sneetches without "stars upon thars" while you glance down at your star every chance you get."
"Since when do I have any problem with differing opinions or beliefs? Please point out once specific instance. Just one"
Katie said
''Best thing any of you PLers can do is mind your own business ''
You do realize that none of these things are an assumption about you, right?

I'm beginning to think you either don't understand english and basic concepts or are a troll being deliberately obtuse and disrupting topix threads. Which is it, because if you are playing a game perhaps Topix should review your posting style and location??

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#323204 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but in taking the risk that I will be called all sorts of names, I think that the current young culture of girls taking naked selfies and hooking up, the guys are getting a different message. I also think that with women insisting that the fathers of their children have no say in what she does with her body takes all the responsibility off their shoulders.
I also think that sex ed for boys should include what the cost of supporting a children you don't even want for the next 18 years.
With women wanting to have the only say about a pregnancy, then it make the pregnancy only their concern, sadly.
Good evening "Ink,"
You make some good points, and you raise some valid questions.
I'm gonna "date" myself here as a grumbly "Luddite," but even though I haven't transitioned to a "smart-phone" yet, I do know the term "selfie."
If you're arguing that our culture has degenerated into a worship of surfaces, appearances, presentations, and is totally ignoring depth, I'd be hard pressed to disagree.
I'm fairly certain that you'd argue that it's been a cultural embracing of spontaneous indulgence of self-gratification brought on by a turning away from traditional "family values" and an acceptance of "Liberalism."
And, believe it or not, I'd actually agree with some of those sentiments; like the famous song phrase goes--"Every generation blames the one before." And every "older" generation looks on the newest with disdain, but unlike you, and other religion-minded conservatives, I won't agree that it's a "moving away from God."
All of that aside, there is definitely a strange sort of hypocrisy that we all seem to indulge in in our culture.
Why is it that when a boy/guy boasts of his (perceived) sexual encounters, he's referred to as a "stud," with a measure of "reverence," and if a girl does the same, she's referred to as a "slut?"
We, as a society, love to claim that we're the most "tolerant" group of people in the world, but in the realm of sexuality, we're really adolescents.
We're all hormones, and no rationalization.
Or, we're all condemnation, and no empathy...
We can't seem to find a happy medium.
The way we view men, and women is where we've got to make a serious change...

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#323205 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
So why are women who don't love their babies having babies?
Certainly not because they can get contraception or an abortion. Both easily available.
Bullshit. Contraceptives other than rubbers, are not cheap and readily available -at least not without a prescription- and there are many women for whom the cost of Doctor visits is prohibitively expensive. And thanks to the onerous restrictions on ACCESS to abortion, it's not readily available either - and it sure as hell isn't cheap.

Not to mention a whole lotta women (according to you) are talked OUT of getting abortions, by nosey parkers like yourself. A thing of which you are very proud. In other words, if you'd just left them the hell alone, rather than drilling them with your opinion on what their reproductive choices should be, they might have made different ones, and a whole lotta 'babies' wouldn't be born into such shitty circumstances.

But you just keep ignoring these facts, and patting yourself on the back for your beliefs.

Next...
Anonymous

New York, NY

#323206 Mar 16, 2014
Lots of comments just

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#323207 Mar 16, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I have worked with families who are in the system and unfortuately most are there because the parents are too dysfunctional to be parents.
Yet you and your gang of busybodies and do-gooders INSIST that they should give birth anyway....and then that they give their children to strangers, rather than try raising it themselves.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>Help is available to all if they choose to accept it.
Proselytizing and slut shaming isn't very helpful - what these women need is SUPPORT. Of all kinds, not just the "I'll pray for you" crap you offer.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>You have provided every off the wall senario to promote more abortion
You have provided a lot of wailing, and gnashing of teeth, over the fact that women can make our own reproductive choices.

Now what?
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>but legal abortion doesn't seem to solve the problem or prevent abuse.
Really? Considering that abused children wouldn't be here to BE abused if they'd been aborted, I don't agree.

Better before birth than after.

I know - you like it better the other way 'round.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>Trying to marginalize me isn't helping the problem either.
Marginalizing doesn't help either side - suppose you stop marginalizing women who don't share your opinions, by categorizing us as 'unloving, stone cold, inhuman, monsters'. Telling us we're murderers for seeking legal medical treatment. And claiming that we 'believe in nothing' simply because we don't believe in the same things you do.

Nah....didn't think so.

Next....

Federal Way, WA

#323208 Mar 16, 2014
ChickBrilliance wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that none of these things are an assumption about you, right?
I'm beginning to think you either don't understand english and basic concepts or are a troll being deliberately obtuse and disrupting topix threads. Which is it, because if you are playing a game perhaps Topix should review your posting style and location??
Twice I began replying to Ink, to point her poor comprehension skills, to remind her the context of my post. Then the phone rang, I got distracted, came back to it, and could only shake my head.

You're right. None of those things were about Ink.

PS Ink was pretty decent when she found out about dd's death.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#323209 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but in taking the risk that I will be called all sorts of names, I think that the current young culture of girls taking naked selfies and hooking up, the guys are getting a different message. I also think that with women insisting that the fathers of their children have no say in what she does with her body takes all the responsibility off their shoulders.
I also think that sex ed for boys should include what the cost of supporting a children you don't even want for the next 18 years.
With women wanting to have the only say about a pregnancy, then it make the pregnancy only their concern, sadly.
The pregnancy IS only their concern. A man has no legal responsibility for it, or the delivery, nor does he take any physical risks due to the pregnancy.

A CHILD, it has been decided by the STATE, has a statutory right to be financially supported by BOTH parents. This has nothing to do with a woman's right to make her own medical decisions regarding her own body, which, just by the way, a man ALSO has.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#323210 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you and the other choicers do feel that children are better off dead [aborted] than in a less than ideal circumstance.
Yes abortion is promoted as an answer to child abuse. It isn't though.
Wrong. You're just dishonestly misstating the position. Which is that NOT allowing women to make their own choice (and you ignore the fact that most CHOOSE to continue their pregnancy) will most certainly create MORE abuse.

That is NOT the same as saying legal abortion will get rid of child abuse.

But, we all know you people can't be honest about what we actually say.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#323212 Mar 17, 2014
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Ink,"
You make some good points, and you raise some valid questions.
I'm gonna "date" myself here as a grumbly "Luddite," but even though I haven't transitioned to a "smart-phone" yet, I do know the term "selfie."
If you're arguing that our culture has degenerated into a worship of surfaces, appearances, presentations, and is totally ignoring depth, I'd be hard pressed to disagree.
I'm fairly certain that you'd argue that it's been a cultural embracing of spontaneous indulgence of self-gratification brought on by a turning away from traditional "family values" and an acceptance of "Liberalism."
And, believe it or not, I'd actually agree with some of those sentiments; like the famous song phrase goes--"Every generation blames the one before." And every "older" generation looks on the newest with disdain, but unlike you, and other religion-minded conservatives, I won't agree that it's a "moving away from God."
All of that aside, there is definitely a strange sort of hypocrisy that we all seem to indulge in in our culture.
Why is it that when a boy/guy boasts of his (perceived) sexual encounters, he's referred to as a "stud," with a measure of "reverence," and if a girl does the same, she's referred to as a "slut?"
We, as a society, love to claim that we're the most "tolerant" group of people in the world, but in the realm of sexuality, we're really adolescents.
We're all hormones, and no rationalization.
Or, we're all condemnation, and no empathy...
We can't seem to find a happy medium.
The way we view men, and women is where we've got to make a serious change...
Now, now John, I never mentioned God.

I think we view men and women the same. We don't really expect women to be anymore chaste than men these days. We used to. Women were kind of accepted as the glue that kept families together and as the teachers of civilized behavior to men.

One poster threw out the idea that we should go back to the days [caveman?] when men and women just had sex and went their separate ways with no responsibilities to each other.

I told her that we had.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#323213 Mar 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. You're just dishonestly misstating the position. Which is that NOT allowing women to make their own choice (and you ignore the fact that most CHOOSE to continue their pregnancy) will most certainly create MORE abuse.
That is NOT the same as saying legal abortion will get rid of child abuse.
But, we all know you people can't be honest about what we actually say.
Playa said;

Really? Considering that abused children wouldn't be here to BE abused if they'd been aborted, I don't agree.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#323214 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Playa said;
You just proved what I said. You're still being dishonest. Not my problem.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#323215 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Playa said;
I stand by that statement.

But of course, I don't see "better before birth than after," as a call for all women to abort.

You, on the other hand, see "Women conceive" as a call for all women to gestate every conception.

Have fun with that.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#323216 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No there are no guarantees that they will stay together. The likelihood is that a child born to a single mother will be raised by a single parent.
The Governor of Wisconsin
believes that single parenthood IS child abuse, and would like to make it illegal.

He got two of his minions to propose and sponsor such legislation.

Senate Bill 507 is sponsored by State Sen. Glenn Grothman and State Rep. Donald Pridemore, both Republicans. It takes the state-funded Child Abuse Prevention Board to task for not railing against single parenthood.

Read more: According to a Wisconsin Bill, Single Moms Are a Child Abuse Threat | TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/14/accordi...

“Troll Be Gone.”

Location hidden

#323218 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now John, I never mentioned God.
I think we view men and women the same. We don't really expect women to be anymore chaste than men these days. We used to. Women were kind of accepted as the glue that kept families together and as the teachers of civilized behavior to men.
One poster threw out the idea that we should go back to the days [caveman?] when men and women just had sex and went their separate ways with no responsibilities to each other.
I told her that we had.
Thats weird because every single child I know has 2 married parents or 2 married parents and step parents. I know of 1 young woman prenting a child she chose not to abort which I thought YOU supported.

What planet are you living on?
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#323219 Mar 17, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I stand by that statement.
But of course, I don't see "better before birth than after," as a call for all women to abort.
You, on the other hand, see "Women conceive" as a call for all women to gestate every conception.
Have fun with that.
Have you asked anyone who has suffered some kind of abuse, which is a huge percent of people, if they would rather have been aborted. Most who have gotten through it and moved on would say, no.
VoteVets Org

New York, NY

#323220 Mar 17, 2014
NoahRS wrote:
<quoted text>
What's interesting is how not once, but twice, the bill states "emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect[,]" then goes on to say "and the role of fathers in the primary prevention of child abuse and neglect." Which begs the question; what if the father IS the abuser?
Obviously the Wisconsin legislature has forgotten that if there is a "single mother," there has to be a single father as well.
I suppose it would be fair to cal Wisconsin a "pro-dad" state.
Hey tough guy, weren't you supposed to be getting back to me with the specific legislation that made someone morally and legally equally culpable for not preventing a murder as the person who actually committed the murder ?

“Troll Be Gone.”

Location hidden

#323222 Mar 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Playa said;
Point out where this says abortion will stop child abuse. I think you may have a comprehension problem.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Brighton, MI

#323223 Mar 17, 2014
Too many baby killers in NY as 80% are minority........ Margaret Sanger is happy.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Grey Ghost 1,346,429
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 29 min It aint necessari... 253,422
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 41 min Earthling-1 8,604
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sun Mary 284
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Feb 5 Bruins 31,883
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Feb 3 KeS 201,845
News IU ranked 13th, Butler 16th (Dec '07) Feb 3 Fart news 89
More from around the web