Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 309908 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#322750 Mar 10, 2014
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings "A-P."
While I'll thank you for your reply, I'll confess to still being a tad puzzled by it.
You're either a "new" poster here, or you're someone who's playing at being "new."
I haven't decided which just yet...there have been many cases of older posters showing up under new names/personalities.
That said, if you'd spent any significant amount of time here, you'd know quite well that I don't happen to subscribe to any system of beliefs whatsoever. In fact, I'd likely be sneeringly described by you as a, "gutless agnostic."
I don't claim to know without a shadow of a doubt what lies beyond this plane of existence--personally though, I don't really think that anything does. Once you die, you're gone, kept alive by memories of those who knew you, or those you've influenced.
"Liberal Protestants," that's an interesting if somewhat oxymoronic label. I'm sure that there are Protestants who consider themselves liberals, and vice-versa though the two do seem to be mutually exclusive at face-value. If we're going to get into inter-denominational conflicts here then we're going to spend the better part of eternity pointing fingers and saying that, "this group is wrong on this account, that group is wrong on that account..."
I'd rather not get into that. I've seen both faces of the Catholic faith in some of the posters on here and I can honestly say that none have influenced me much one way or the other. There's a trio of extraordinarily unpleasant posters who all claim to cling to Catholicism, there has also been the flip side of that coin on here. I'll confess to being a bit more impressed with the latest Pope than I'd like to be--I hope the Church follows his lead.
One thing I'm really curious about...if you're an Atheist as your screen-name implies, why do you come across as a "Catholic Activist?"
So it ALL boils down to John-K and how "he" is feeling at the moment about certain people and what they post. The world according to you.How convenient. See, If John approves of a poster based on personal feelings towards that poster(saying ALL or most of the right things or at least being friendly with you), that is where his opinion of God is based on there their particular faith.

Shallow and immature. How about you focus on the humans who we are fighting for here? Ya know the ones who YOU (who thinks that you're better then "those" whom you deem unworthy)feel should die strictlg based on iif they unwanted by their mothers? Listen, you keep acting all judgemental against those of us "fake , unworthy" Catholics while you continue your fight along those who are guilty of crimes against humanity. WhatEVER makes you feel 'wholesome' and like a good person, go for it. You fool nobody but yourself.

I just get a kick out of your kind. Remove yourself from God or any title under God (religious) and you think that you're sins ,human fraility, weakness's, go unnoticed by bothers. At least us "fake, unworthy" Catholics admit to our humannness WHILE we defend the innocent amongst us that are threatened by you "good, non-religious, when I feel like it religious" kind.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322751 Mar 10, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, it was still a marriage.
Marriage has meant different things to different cultures over the course of history. It is not YOUR religion's to define. Especially considering that even your church didn't consider it a sacrament until the 13th century, and didn't insist it be done by a priest in public before witnesses until the 16th century. That means the religious aspects of it have only been "traditional" for the RCC a fairly short amount of time. For people to claim it's always been the same over time is ludicrous.
In no culture has same sex marriage been acceptable until recently. Where homosexuality was accepted, it was never considered marriage. Nero, a homosexual himself thought it was allright especially with unwilling boys but I wouldn't make a case for him.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322752 Mar 10, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>We've been headed toward overt theocracy since the Government changed 'E Pluriubus Unum' to 'In God We Trust', and began funding 'faith-based initiatives.'
We're still headed down that road, and the mile markers say we're getting closer all the time. I mentioned a few of those markers already....but of course, with your usual obtuseness, you decline to see them.
I can see going back to the Declaration of Independence. I think that is your first problem.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322753 Mar 10, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>The field of religious advocacy has mushroomed on Capitol Hill in recent decades, a new survey shows, with the number of groups growing fivefold since 1970 and hundreds of millions spent each year to influence issues from school vouchers and immigration to the right of women overseas to have abortions.
The report, released Monday by the Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, appears to be the most extensive research ever done on D.C.-based lobbyists and advocates on faith matters. It documents the widening range of domestic and foreign issues religious groups push and fight and shows the entrance in recent years of religious minority groups, such as Muslims, Sikhs and secular organizations, into the field.
The survey identifies the work of 212 faith-oriented groups, which spend about $390 million per year. That is up from less than 40 such groups in 1970.
The biggest spenders, the survey says, include the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and established social conservative groups focusing on abortion, same-sex marriage and home-schooling. The report’s authors said that the science of identifying “religious” advocates was imprecise but that they picked groups that said they were driven by faith convictions
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/religious...
Google is your friend....embrace the digital age, Ink.
Thank you for setting me straight.

Do I understand you correctly that you think religious groups should be banned from having a say in the country while pro abortion, pro gays, pro atheists and big business are free to lobby?

“Religious lobbyists used to be like subsistence farmers, and now it’s like agribusiness,” said the Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the 15th-biggest spender, with $6.3 million spent on advocacy in 2008, according to the Pew study.
from your link
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322754 Mar 10, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Marriage is just as unisex as civil unions--which were created originally for hetero couples, btw. Why a new word? Do heteros not feel special enough if gays invade their clubhouse?
<quoted text>
It looks to me like heteros are giving you the word. They aren't using it anymore. Marriage is in decline.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#322755 Mar 10, 2014
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> So it ALL boils down to John-K and how "he" is feeling at the moment about certain people and what they post. The world according to you.How convenient. See, If John approves of a poster based on personal feelings towards that poster(saying ALL or most of the right things or at least being friendly with you), that is where his opinion of God is based on there their particular faith.
Shallow and immature. How about you focus on the humans who we are fighting for here? Ya know the ones who YOU (who thinks that you're better then "those" whom you deem unworthy)feel should die strictlg based on iif they unwanted by their mothers? Listen, you keep acting all judgemental against those of us "fake , unworthy" Catholics while you continue your fight along those who are guilty of crimes against humanity. WhatEVER makes you feel 'wholesome' and like a good person, go for it. You fool nobody but yourself.
I just get a kick out of your kind. Remove yourself from God or any title under God (religious) and you think that you're sins ,human fraility, weakness's, go unnoticed by bothers. At least us "fake, unworthy" Catholics admit to our humannness WHILE we defend the innocent amongst us that are threatened by you "good, non-religious, when I feel like it religious" kind.
Do you know how many American women have obtained an abortion? Those who are alive, today?
katie

Federal Way, WA

#322756 Mar 10, 2014
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how many American women have obtained an abortion? Those who are alive, today?
Hi StO :)

You're asking SJM this question? She isn't going to have the first clue. She's too busy spreading that false claim that abortion is somehow a crime against humanity and she is somehow a warrior princess. As if forgetting the opposite is true; forced pregnancy is a crime against humanity. She must force herself to forget that pregnancy ending prior to term whether induced or spontaneous is not a crime nor against humanity.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#322757 Mar 10, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for setting me straight.
Do I understand you correctly that you think religious groups should be banned from having a say in the country while pro abortion, pro gays, pro atheists and big business are free to lobby?
“Religious lobbyists used to be like subsistence farmers, and now it’s like agribusiness,” said the Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the 15th-biggest spender, with $6.3 million spent on advocacy in 2008, according to the Pew study.
from your link
I absolutely think religious lobbying for laws based on religious convictions, rather than Constitutional precepts, which will affect the religious and non-religious alike, should be banned. Hell, YOU thought it was illegal already.

Apparently, the Reverend Barry Lynn agrees with me. Good for him.

Next.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322758 Mar 11, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I absolutely think religious lobbying for laws based on religious convictions, rather than Constitutional precepts, which will affect the religious and non-religious alike, should be banned. Hell, YOU thought it was illegal already.
Apparently, the Reverend Barry Lynn agrees with me. Good for him.
Next.
Well actually 501cs cannot lobby and most activist group are 501cs.

As has been said before when you take away free speech from one group or person then free speech is in jeapardy for all. Be careful what you wish for.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#322759 Mar 11, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
In no culture has same sex marriage been acceptable until recently. Where homosexuality was accepted, it was never considered marriage. Nero, a homosexual himself thought it was allright especially with unwilling boys but I wouldn't make a case for him.
Did Nero claim to be married to someone of the same gender? Did I MAKE such a claim for Nero? No? That's right, no. So can the strawman arguments.

If you're talking about legally recognized, Christian regulated marriage IN THE US, with the same rights and privileges as opposite sex couples, then you'd be right. But, formally recognized same sex marriage has ancient origins, in different cultures, so you're actually wrong.

Just because the Catholic church took over the Roman empire (which ended fairly soon after....just saying), manage to have it's dogma legislated, and ordered the execution of same sex couples who were married already (gee......how very CHRISTLIKE of them), doesn't make it a "recent" thing.

And just because YOU don't want to believe the facts (and you clearly choose to ignore anything that makes you uncomfortable) doesn't make those facts disappear for anyone.
feces for jesus

Westbury, NY

#322760 Mar 11, 2014
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> Marriage has always been a sacrament. It started in Genesis as a Holy bond blessed by God.
Http://www.archden.org/tribunal/documents/sac...
Http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp...
Hey look, another absurd and ridiculous claim by our least favorite, insane fundie.
Lil NAP

Chicago, IL

#322761 Mar 11, 2014
NoahRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you really do all that with a 1 incher???
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm willing to give it the ol' college try....
You have a 1 incher ?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322762 Mar 11, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Well actually 501cs cannot lobby and most activist group are 501cs.
As has been said before when you take away free speech from one group or person then free speech is in jeapardy for all. Be careful what you wish for.
Free speech and laws based on a Congressperson's religious convictions, are two different things.

If a Congressperson SAYS "I believe in Jesus Christ, and think everyone should follow him," that's free speech. If he/she makes a law requiring everyone to abide by the Congressperson's OWN idea of what following Christ looks like, it's Unconstitutional.

Practice your religion ON YOURSELF.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322763 Mar 11, 2014
Lil NAP wrote:
NoahRS wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you really do all that with a 1 incher???
<quoted text>
You have a 1 incher ?
Well, my nose is about an inch long....does that help?

")
Lil NAP

Chicago, IL

#322764 Mar 11, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, my nose is about an inch long....does that help?
")
Yes.
You call it your "nose" ?
Cute.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322765 Mar 11, 2014
Lil NAP wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
You call it your "nose" ?
Cute.
Yeah, it's kinda cute, for a snub on a white girl.

What do you call your nose?
I'm guessing 'garden'.

Next...
grumpy

West Haverstraw, NY

#322766 Mar 11, 2014
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> Marriage has always been a sacrament. It started in Genesis as a Holy bond blessed by God.
Where in Genesis does it say anything about marriage?
grumpy

West Haverstraw, NY

#322767 Mar 11, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Fetuses have never had any rights, and cannot be given rights that supersede the woman's own rights to her own body.
RvW had nothing to do with clinic bombings; that was the work of people who sought to deny women's rights.
<quoted text>
RvW gives "de facto" rights to the fetus by straddling the 10th and 14th amendments.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322768 Mar 11, 2014
sassyjm wrote:

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322769 Mar 11, 2014
A Bible-based,'traditional' marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Incognito4Ever 1,233,915
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Uncle Sam 239,292
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 33 min blueishgalaxy49 5,617
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr tom wingo 29,767
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 25 Pietro Armando 201,809
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... May 25 Timotion 7
Jayhawks dance team #1 May 24 Jeff 1
More from around the web