Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313666 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#322688 Mar 9, 2014
Atheist Perspective wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet the person/people who are targeting a foreign entity which has no special privileges in the United States government are themselves protestant or overtly ex-protestant. There's a lot of indications that the U.S. Is basically still a protestant country. Liberals like this have a special, seething, bloodthirsty, hate toward Catholics -- not any kind of enlightenment, more like an entitlement to claim themselves saved and everyone else dumb. They really need to spend time counterattacking their own new/improved versions of christianity or gutless agnosticism. I had to bring a women's rights rally at a Planned Parenthood to a halt some years ago, because the screaming, all-white (except me and 1 asian woman) sign-shaking, pro-choice/pro-healthcare gang was unintentionally scaring away terrified Latino and poor multicultural women and their tiny children who (a) were poor (b) didn't speak English, and (c) displayed appropriate shock and revulsion at the people yelling in their faces about how evil their religion is. Some cried.
There is just so much bullsh*t to this post, one doesn't know where to start.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#322689 Mar 9, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
There is just so much bullsh*t to this post, one doesn't know where to start.
One place to start would be "I had to bring [a pro-choice rally] to a halt...."

...all by [him/her] self.

Another would be how folks who didn't speak English, were able to miraculously understand it well enough to be 'terrified', by people screaming about getting the RCC out of politics.

We don't even need to go into the 'hate' claims....but we could certainly start there, too.
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322690 Mar 9, 2014
Mr International wrote:
Lets kill more in Iraq, thats more moral, we can blame the "Terrorists"
While were at it why not nuke Iran, I mean what would Jesus do?
"Jesus" as quoted in bible is a metaphysical extortionist, kinda like a theocratic terrorist. He warned people they'd deservedly suffer infinite harm if they didn't believe in his magical, abusive Daddy-O! Christianity is a sick set of codependent red flags.
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322691 Mar 9, 2014
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clearly NOT an atheist. Nice try.
Hi there. Sorry, but I am a happy stone cold atheist! My cosmos scintillates with wonder and delight. I blame religion as an odious component of the world's ills. Not only us there no "god," there's no reason to "disprove" it because the question about whether that exists is itself meaningless. The simplest way to show the absurdity of god worship is: Wherever you see a statement that includes "God," just find all incidents of that word and replace "god" with "Glurff." Glurff works in mysterious ways. Glurff is gonna get ya! I survived this home fire because my belief in Glurff is strong...can't speak for my burned-out neighbors, though, guess they didn't pray hard enough. I like Deists well enough. Its more fun sometimes just to promote myself as a HEATHEN!
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322692 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>One place to start would be "I had to bring [a pro-choice rally] to a halt...."
...all by [him/her] self.
Another would be how folks who didn't speak English, were able to miraculously understand it well enough to be 'terrified', by people screaming about getting the RCC out of politics.
We don't even need to go into the 'hate' claims....but we could certainly start there, too.
Use your imagination, and follow my words exactly. I should've added that three other women and I formed the regional pro-choice group, and ran the demo/clinic defense action. And yep, as usual I stuck to my guns, tough I tire of having to "educate whitey." My cohorts were when making rude comments about this primarily Latino and Black working class part of town; I advised my white middle class affiliates "Please stop making fun of the neighborhood I grew up in (poor, Chicana, queer). Annnnnywho...after some consciousness raising discussion, we resumed our clinic defending. The right to lifers used a tactic I called the cannonball: they picked the LARGEST, FATTEST, ANGRIEST of their ranks to team up, two or three at a time -- then run, charging fast toward terrified woman and little kids, faces red with rage, screaming with hoarse voices about Jesus and baby killers, waving bloody-baby pamphlets in the patients' horrified faces. I'm fairly large, so I was employed as the first point of defense, standing to physically block the nutjobs. Their instructions seemed to be brush up against pro-choicers (like me) with their shoulders and signs, then scream (1) "She TOUCHED ME, THAT'S ASSAULT, ARREST HER NOW!!"
So...what made you suspect thus didn't really happen...and that I'm not a full-in atheist?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322693 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>Hi there. Sorry, but I am a happy stone cold atheist! My cosmos scintillates with wonder and delight. I blame religion as an odious component of the world's ills. Not only us there no "god," there's no reason to "disprove" it because the question about whether that exists is itself meaningless. The simplest way to show the absurdity of god worship is: Wherever you see a statement that includes "God," just find all incidents of that word and replace "god" with "Glurff." Glurff works in mysterious ways. Glurff is gonna get ya! I survived this home fire because my belief in Glurff is strong...can't speak for my burned-out neighbors, though, guess they didn't pray hard enough. I like Deists well enough. Its more fun sometimes just to promote myself as a HEATHEN!
Hi, yourself.

(or is that 'high'?)

Who cares what you like? If you intended to lull me into agreeing with you, on the basis of your religious preferences, you were operating under poor logic.

Screaming about getting the RCC out of politics, does not equate even to latent Protestantism.....or to 'gutless agnosticism', for that matter. If the largest segment of Congress, claims to identify as Catholic, and observably votes according to religious convictions rather than Constitutional ones, the push to remove religion from our Legal system will start there. When it's those who identify as Muslims making law, the push will swerve in that direction. Etc.

Regardless of which, or no, religion, with which the people identify.

They're supposed to be representing OUR interests - not those of the Vatican - in Congress.

Period.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322694 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>Use your imagination, and follow my words exactly. I should've added that three other women and I formed the regional pro-choice group, and ran the demo/clinic defense action. And yep, as usual I stuck to my guns, tough I tire of having to "educate whitey." My cohorts were when making rude comments about this primarily Latino and Black working class part of town; I advised my white middle class affiliates "Please stop making fun of the neighborhood I grew up in (poor, Chicana, queer). Annnnnywho...after some consciousness raising discussion, we resumed our clinic defending. The right to lifers used a tactic I called the cannonball: they picked the LARGEST, FATTEST, ANGRIEST of their ranks to team up, two or three at a time -- then run, charging fast toward terrified woman and little kids, faces red with rage, screaming with hoarse voices about Jesus and baby killers, waving bloody-baby pamphlets in the patients' horrified faces. I'm fairly large, so I was employed as the first point of defense, standing to physically block the nutjobs. Their instructions seemed to be brush up against pro-choicers (like me) with their shoulders and signs, then scream (1) "She TOUCHED ME, THAT'S ASSAULT, ARREST HER NOW!!"
So...what made you suspect thus didn't really happen...and that I'm not a full-in atheist?
As I've already indicated my reasons for said suspicion in the post to which you replied, don't look for me to embrace redundancy...your post was full of inconsistencies.

This one hasn't done much, if anything, to eliminate them. If you have to fabricate, to make a point, you have no point....and no credibility.

About your supposed atheism - since you claim to be one, I'll take that with the same grain of salt, with which I take your claims to activism.

It's a pretty big grain....

Next...
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322695 Mar 9, 2014
NoahRS wrote:
<quoted text>
IOW, all you do is pray and hope for an answer, but you don't actively do anything to stop the "murder" of "babies in the womb." Is that it?
You're just as guilty of those you accuse of "murdering babies in the womb" for your failure to actively stop one.
And that makes you a hypocrite. It also proves my point; christianity = the ultimate hypocrisy.
She said she was involved, with God's help in some mothers changing their mind about abortion. Can't you read what is written?

Praying is active and powerful participation.
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322696 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>
Okay, based on what you wrote it seems you think only religious people, who marry in religious institutions should get the designation of "marriage" and everyone else gets a civil union. Yet both are legally binding.
It seems like you just put all non-religious people into a lesser category.
I think you are just looking for an argument. Civil unions for all, period.

If you want a religious ceremony rename the sacrament. The Catholic Church renamed the sacrament of pennance and extreme unction already and they can do it again.
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322697 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>
I never said they changed any laws. However, I'm certain that religious conservative politicians use their positions to try and affect laws in ways that align with their religious beliefs. I also believe the Church is doing whatever it can, behind the scenes, to try and affect certain laws, and I imagine the Church has some lobbyists out there, too.
You have a vivid imagination. You were expressly talking about the RCC's influence. From what I see of politicions who are Catholic, like Pelosi, Kennedy, Kerry, etc, they are working and voting in complete disregard of their faith. So I don't see what your problem is.
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322698 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
Three things:
1. The RCC may not have an officially designated 'body' in Congress, but it assuredly has its tentacles entwined throughout Congress in the form of Catholic Congress critters,. These folks vote on legislation NOT from a position representing their constituents, but from religious convictions which may not be held by those constituents.
2. Religious freedom is the freedom to worship - it is NOT the freedom to remove, restrict, reserve, or ignore the freedom of OTHERS, who don't worship the same as you.
3. Laws won't ever eliminate abortion. Only elimination of undesired pregnancy, will do that.
In case anyone was wondering, desiring pregnancy cannot be legislated.
Just on a quick look, I found some RCCs that you might like to know are protecting your interests.

Pelosi D
Collins R
Leahy D
Durbin D
Harkin D
Milkulski D
Murry D
Menendez D
Gillibrand D

What Catholics are you actually talking about in congress?
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322699 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>The conservatives are trying to drive home the idea that the gays screwed it up for everybody.
I'm sure you're in agreement.
Next...
Nope.
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322700 Mar 9, 2014
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
So, "Protestants" aren't really "Christian" from your point of view?
What precisely is "gutless" about being an agnostic?
Why are "Liberals" the new "Jews" of the current "right-of-center" whipping folk; any ills of society, the media, the government, the economy, has been attributed to "Liberals" for the past twenty years.
What "versions" of Christianity do you feel don't "jell" with your own interpretation?
You do realize that there are Four Gospels don't you...?
oh, I forgot about your concerns about which branch, which denomination of your Christianity is "correct." Answer: None. All equally false. I've studied belief systems -- I don't "interpret" them. My beef with liberal Protestants is their need to focus on the foolishness of Catholic rituals and doctrine with special vehemence, reserved for Catholics. Not so much knuckle breaking on Protestants no doubt because they (erroneously) believe they are a better breed of Christian. So, there's really nothing advanced, improved, or wiser than previous Brands.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322701 Mar 9, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Just on a quick look, I found some RCCs that you might like to know are protecting your interests.
Pelosi D
Collins R
Leahy D
Durbin D
Harkin D
Milkulski D
Murry D
Menendez D
Gillibrand D
What Catholics are you actually talking about in congress?
How are they protecting MY interests?

The Catholics I'm talking about are the ones who vote for laws supporting freedom to intrude in the reproductive lives of others. You already know who they are - you vote for them.
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322702 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text> Hi, yourself.
(or is that 'high'?)
Who cares what you like? If you intended to lull me into agreeing with you, on the basis of your religious preferences, you were operating under poor logic.
Screaming about getting the RCC out of politics, does not equate even to latent Protestantism.....or to 'gutless agnosticism', for that matter. If the largest segment of Congress, claims to identify as Catholic, and observably votes according to religious convictions rather than Constitutional ones, the push to remove religion from our Legal system will start there. When it's those who identify as Muslims making law, the push will swerve in that direction. Etc.
Regardless of which, or no, religion, with which the people identify.
They're supposed to be representing OUR interests - not those of the Vatican - in Congress.
Period.
Your snide reply us a good example of old school "Don't vote for JFK, He's a tool of Rome!!" (1960) arguments. You still save extra volatility for your castigating of Catholics. My premise was that this is one symptom of U.S. Culture dominated by Protestants. And, no, I don't want to speculate on Alternate Histories, save that for comic-cons or whatever.
BTW...folks, I apologize for too many Autocorrect errors not caught in my posts. I'll try and be bitter. Butter. Better.

so... I'm puzzled by the part of your rant where you suggest I'm trying to "lull [you] into agreeing with [me] on the basis of my religious preferences." What does that mean? Don't get it. Not "high." I thought I made it clear, I have no religion. I "Prefer" no religion. Literally. I prefer: NO RELIGION!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#322703 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>oh, I forgot about your concerns about which branch, which denomination of your Christianity is "correct." Answer: None. All equally false. I've studied belief systems -- I don't "interpret" them. My beef with liberal Protestants is their need to focus on the foolishness of Catholic rituals and doctrine with special vehemence, reserved for Catholics. Not so much knuckle breaking on Protestants no doubt because they (erroneously) believe they are a better breed of Christian. So, there's really nothing advanced, improved, or wiser than previous Brands.
Greetings "A-P."

While I'll thank you for your reply, I'll confess to still being a tad puzzled by it.
You're either a "new" poster here, or you're someone who's playing at being "new."
I haven't decided which just yet...there have been many cases of older posters showing up under new names/personalities.
That said, if you'd spent any significant amount of time here, you'd know quite well that I don't happen to subscribe to any system of beliefs whatsoever. In fact, I'd likely be sneeringly described by you as a, "gutless agnostic."
I don't claim to know without a shadow of a doubt what lies beyond this plane of existence--personally though, I don't really think that anything does. Once you die, you're gone, kept alive by memories of those who knew you, or those you've influenced.
"Liberal Protestants," that's an interesting if somewhat oxymoronic label. I'm sure that there are Protestants who consider themselves liberals, and vice-versa though the two do seem to be mutually exclusive at face-value. If we're going to get into inter-denominational conflicts here then we're going to spend the better part of eternity pointing fingers and saying that, "this group is wrong on this account, that group is wrong on that account..."
I'd rather not get into that. I've seen both faces of the Catholic faith in some of the posters on here and I can honestly say that none have influenced me much one way or the other. There's a trio of extraordinarily unpleasant posters who all claim to cling to Catholicism, there has also been the flip side of that coin on here. I'll confess to being a bit more impressed with the latest Pope than I'd like to be--I hope the Church follows his lead.
One thing I'm really curious about...if you're an Atheist as your screen-name implies, why do you come across as a "Catholic Activist?"
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322704 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>How are they protecting MY interests?
The Catholics I'm talking about are the ones who vote for laws supporting freedom to intrude in the reproductive lives of others. You already know who they are - you vote for them.
They are on your side. Don't you know? Your interest is abortion and gays and they vote your agenda.

Actually don't know who they are and I don't think you do either. I am not aware of a single Catholic that I have ever voted for.

I wish you would do a little research before you make unsubstantiated claims.
Atheist Perspective

Oakland, CA

#322705 Mar 9, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>As I've already indicated my reasons for said suspicion in the post to which you replied, don't look for me to embrace redundancy...your post was full of inconsistencies.
This one hasn't done much, if anything, to eliminate them. If you have to fabricate, to make a point, you have no point....and no credibility.
About your supposed atheism - since you claim to be one, I'll take that with the same grain of salt, with which I take your claims to activism.
It's a pretty big grain....
Next...
Weird. Then you must be the "high" one, as you put it. Because you're hallucinating. I can see by your posts you're not interested in thoughtful debate, just mud throwing. I enjoy throwing down. It's just, you're not very good at it. Your attacks are random. Gibberish. You lack specificity. It made me smile when you mentioned activism. Your disparaging remarks about my lifetime of activism seem desperate. Or just plain ignorant.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#322706 Mar 9, 2014
<quoted text>Weird. Then you must be the "high" one, as you put it. Because you're hallucinating. I can see by your posts you're not interested in thoughtful debate, just mud throwing. I enjoy throwing down. It's just, you're not very good at it. Your attacks are random. Gibberish. You lack specificity. It made me smile when you mentioned activism. Your disparaging remarks about my lifetime of activism seem desperate. Or just plain ignorant.
I haven't attacked you - I've merely pointed out the inconsistencies in your diatribe.

If you consider that an 'attack' you need to grow a thicker skin, son.

What mud have I thrown? Suspicion that you're not what you claim to be? Poor you - rather than give evidence that 'debate', rather than mudslinging, is what YOU aspire to, all you've done is solidify those suspicions.

Keep quacking - specifically, while you're walking like an RCC apologist duck.

Next...
Ink

Chalfont, PA

#322707 Mar 9, 2014
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings "A-P."
While I'll thank you for your reply, I'll confess to still being a tad puzzled by it.
You're either a "new" poster here, or you're someone who's playing at being "new."
I haven't decided which just yet...there have been many cases of older posters showing up under new names/personalities.
That said, if you'd spent any significant amount of time here, you'd know quite well that I don't happen to subscribe to any system of beliefs whatsoever. In fact, I'd likely be sneeringly described by you as a, "gutless agnostic."
I don't claim to know without a shadow of a doubt what lies beyond this plane of existence--personally though, I don't really think that anything does. Once you die, you're gone, kept alive by memories of those who knew you, or those you've influenced.
"Liberal Protestants," that's an interesting if somewhat oxymoronic label. I'm sure that there are Protestants who consider themselves liberals, and vice-versa though the two do seem to be mutually exclusive at face-value. If we're going to get into inter-denominational conflicts here then we're going to spend the better part of eternity pointing fingers and saying that, "this group is wrong on this account, that group is wrong on that account..."
I'd rather not get into that. I've seen both faces of the Catholic faith in some of the posters on here and I can honestly say that none have influenced me much one way or the other. There's a trio of extraordinarily unpleasant posters who all claim to cling to Catholicism, there has also been the flip side of that coin on here. I'll confess to being a bit more impressed with the latest Pope than I'd like to be--I hope the Church follows his lead.
One thing I'm really curious about...if you're an Atheist as your screen-name implies, why do you come across as a "Catholic Activist?"
Hey John, how are you? One comment in your post caught my attention and I would love to have you explain.

You said that you were impressed with the Pope MORE than you would like to be. Why does this bother you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,509,134
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 18 hr AnyonePhartss 32,820
News Buzzer-beating shot lifts Florida over Wisconsi... Sat BuzzerPhartss 2
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Mar 14 superwilly 258,490
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
More from around the web