Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 315208 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#322094 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You could say that about a lot of people but we don't stop giving them food. I assume that you are in favor of euthanizing people that you feel aren't mentally contributing anything.
I never said that, but in those cases the person was gone. Only the vessel was being sustained.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#322095 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, she's a hypocrite. She whines constantly about how mean and nasty people are, when she's the say way.
Glad I made you laugh :)
Yeah, it was an unexpected remark. I was drinking my a.m. java so I'm glad I wasn't sipping at that moment. hee hee!
katie

Tacoma, WA

#322096 Feb 17, 2014
Something interesting that explains the hive-like brain-sharing qualities of those ACers/PLers.

"The consequences of social movements

It has been suggested that the committed participant in a social movement undergoes a psychological reorganization. It is clear that his new sense of security and importance is acquired at the sacrifice of autonomy. As a loyal member he tends to let the leaders do his thinking for him, suppressing doubts as to the validity of the ideology and the wisdom of the leader’s decision. He repeats their arguments in a dogmatic fashion; persons who are not in the movement find it difficult to debate with him since they start from different premises. His perception is selective in a different way from theirs. The ideology, for example, may lead him to view all governmental authorities as villains, while the ordinary citizen views them as legitimate leaders, some good, some bad. The end product of this surrender of autonomy may be an altered worldview. Some things taken for granted before becoming part of the movement will never seem the same again, even after leaving the discipline of the movement."

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/551...
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322097 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
She wasn't just "mentally incapacitated", Cabbage. She was a vegetable, with extensive, irreversible brain damage, and zero chance of recovery.
Still, you can't on one hand say that your God MEANT for a woman with an unplanned pregnancy to NOT be able to avail herself of a medical procedure to terminate that pregnancy, and then claim that Terri Schiavo's condition was not the will of your God that medical science should have been used to sustain her indefinitely.
Lots of people in nursing care have irreversable brain damage and they aren't being killed.

All she needed was to be fed and she had family willing to provide that for her.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322098 Feb 17, 2014
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that, but in those cases the person was gone. Only the vessel was being sustained.
Teri was brain damaged but alive and not terminal. you are saying that she and other people like her should be starved until they die.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322099 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Sarcasm noted....I don't know anything about souls, but I find Bitner to be intelligent and spirited.
We all see things differently. I gyess it would depend on who she is being compared to.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322100 Feb 17, 2014
guess
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322101 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to continue implying that she was just mildly retarded, but otherwise fully functioning, that's fine. But it's a lie you're telling because you can't refute what we're saying, so that you are reduced to these lame attempts to demonize those you can't refute, and we ALL know this. Even you.
No I compared her to a child I know who could do nothing for himself, nothing. He had to be fed cleaned and carried everywhere. Very brain damaged with no hope of recovery. He was born that way and yet his family never starved him to death.

There are people who treat their with love and dignity and those who force their death.
I realize that it is easier to get rid of the burden and you can't blame people for doing just that. But my admiration goes to the true caregivers.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#322102 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of people in nursing care have irreversable brain damage and they aren't being killed.
All she needed was to be fed and she had family willing to provide that for her.
Her parents were "providing" nothing, except a media circus.

And that has nothing to do with my point, but of course I understand you must ignore that.

Your general statement about these "lots" of people is meaningless. Their next of kin are making that decision for them, or they have a written directive that does so. "Lots" are also allowed to die.

Again, the only thing you're proving is that you think the world should act according to what YOU feel is the right thing to do. It doesn't.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#322103 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Teri was brain damaged but alive and not terminal. you are saying that she and other people like her should be starved until they die.
She was terminal if measures had to be taken to keep her alive, like the surgically implanted feeding tube. They weren't just spooning food into her mouth, you know.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322104 Feb 17, 2014
<quoted text>
If the bible is to be believed then God himself has done far, far worse to his "children".
You should only use arguments that you believe.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#322105 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No I compared her to a child I know who could do nothing for himself, nothing. He had to be fed cleaned and carried everywhere. Very brain damaged with no hope of recovery. He was born that way and yet his family never starved him to death.
There are people who treat their with love and dignity and those who force their death.
I realize that it is easier to get rid of the burden and you can't blame people for doing just that. But my admiration goes to the true caregivers.
The situations are not nearly the same, and that was my point.

Terri was not merely mentally incapacitated. 80% of her upper brain was GONE, and part of her brain stem. If you'd do a bit of research into the functions of the human brain, you'd know it's not the same. You won't, though, because it doesn't fit in with your self-centered position.

Allowing someone to die when they've expressed a wish not to be kept alive under those circumstances IS treating them with dignity.

Keeping them alive despite their wish, due to our own (and here, I mean YOUR own) feelings, is not. It's selfish, to the extreme.

How can we do for our pets what we wouldn't do for a person we love, and claim to be loving?
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322106 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
She was terminal if measures had to be taken to keep her alive, like the surgically implanted feeding tube. They weren't just spooning food into her mouth, you know.
We are all terminal if we don't eat or drink.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#322107 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
We are all terminal if we don't eat or drink.
She WASN'T eating and drinking, Cabbage. Don't you know that? She wasn't CAPABLE of it.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#322108 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, obviously YOU don't believe is the word of your God, so we won't be hearing about it from YOU, right?
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322109 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The situations are not nearly the same, and that was my point.
Terri was not merely mentally incapacitated. 80% of her upper brain was GONE, and part of her brain stem. If you'd do a bit of research into the functions of the human brain, you'd know it's not the same. You won't, though, because it doesn't fit in with your self-centered position.
Allowing someone to die when they've expressed a wish not to be kept alive under those circumstances IS treating them with dignity.
Keeping them alive despite their wish, due to our own (and here, I mean YOUR own) feelings, is not. It's selfish, to the extreme.
How can we do for our pets what we wouldn't do for a person we love, and claim to be loving?
[C]ontrary to articles stating the autopsy report “supported” the diagnosis of “persistent vegetative state (PVS),” a neuropathology expert today was careful to say that PVS is a clinical diagnosis rather than a pathological one. He added that nothing in the autopsy was “inconsistent” with a PVS diagnosis.

The real elephant in the living room, of course, is whether or not we can really know how conscious anyone labeled “PVS” really is. Several studies have revealed high misdiagnosis rates, with conscious people being mistakenly regarded as totally and irrevocably unaware.

The autopsy also documented significant brain atrophy, and the medical panel called the damage “irreversible.”

This is not the same as saying she had no cognitive ability.

“It’s always seemed to us that PVS isn’t really a diagnosis; it’s a value judgment masquerading as a diagnosis,” said Stephen Drake, research analyst for Not Dead Yet, a national disability rights group that filed three amicus briefs in the case.“When it comes to the hard science, no qualified pathologist went on the record saying she couldn’t think or couldn’t experience her own death through dehydration.”

Diane Coleman, president and founder of Not Dead Yet, agreed.“The core issues remain the same. Protection of the life and dignity of people under guardianship, and a high standard of proof in removing food and water from a person who can not express their own wishes. These are issues of great concern to the disability community – evidenced by the 26 national disability groups that spoke out in favor of saving Terri Schiavo’s life over the past few years.”
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322110 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
She WASN'T eating and drinking, Cabbage. Don't you know that? She wasn't CAPABLE of it.
She couldn't see either but that doesn't mean she isn't alive and researchers really don't know how conscious a pvs person is. there are thousands of PVS patients alive now and no one is killing them. I wonder why.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

#322111 Feb 17, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, obviously YOU don't believe is the word of your God, so we won't be hearing about it from YOU, right?
I use arguments that I believe in.

'When you do for the least of mankind, you do for Me'
katie

Tacoma, WA

#322112 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
So, according to you, God creates/destroys life, but humanity is only allowed to continue life. Is that your argument?

How do you defend that without the inclusion of war, executions, and self-defense?

Induced termination of unwanted/unhealthy pregnancy *is* self-defense.

So where is the logic in your belief? Can't seem to find it.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#322113 Feb 17, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: "Don't use the word of my God against me if you don't believe in him....it's not fair for you to take what God says literally, when it doesn't support my point."

Wahhhh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 min Into The Night 11,290
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John 1,564,102
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min John 258,471
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Told Pharts 33,405
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web