Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310476 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#321629 Feb 5, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
She was fourteen weeks pregnant when her husband found her. At fourteen weeks she hadn't had an abortion so she obviously wanted her child to be born and live.
And from your perspective, and that includes every woman who gets pregnant, what would you want to happen? Leave it alone, and see what happens, right? Leave that woman alone, don't interfere in any way, and see what happens. You want to have that happen in all pregnancies, right?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#321630 Feb 5, 2014
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>And from your perspective, and that includes every woman who gets pregnant, what would you want to happen? Leave it alone, and see what happens, right? Leave that woman alone, don't interfere in any way, and see what happens. You want to have that happen in all pregnancies, right?
Let the back pedaling begin....good question, Honey.

:)

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#321631 Feb 6, 2014
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>Not to seem insensitive, but this is what I don't understand.... we don't pay for stuff like that, insured or not. We have insurance for stuff like dental, and dental.... and ummm dental.....dental insurance? huh? Anyways... Everything is automatically covered for everyone equally. I believe the hospital should pay for it, of course... but that's coming from a Canadian. Our system works, thank you Tommy Douglas (greatest Canadian EVER), but you guys may only know him as Keifer Sutherland's Grandfather. He's the reason for our Health Care, and the reason we (Canadians) don't have to worry about Health Care. Operations, hospital stays, c-sections, vaccines, flu shots.... mental health too. etc etc etc We pick our own Doctor's, and WTH is an HMO anyways? The movie "As Good as it Gets" clued me in a tad, but not really.
AND I'm hearing conflicting opinions on Obama Care... huh? WTH is that anyways?
BUT, in your defense, I don't think Chicky would be covered for anything here.. Health Care would shut down, riots, mayhem, self harm, debauchery, mass hysteria, and vigilantism would suddenly become the norm if Chicky sought help here.((shiver))
Here we have had deductibles (usually 2,000-5,000/year) that we have to pay out before the insurance kicks in, and even then, then insurance is only paying around 80% of the bill.

On a side note, I would love to know why this post was flagged for profanity, as neither of us used any.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#321632 Feb 6, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we have had deductibles (usually 2,000-5,000/year) that we have to pay out before the insurance kicks in, and even then, then insurance is only paying around 80% of the bill.
On a side note, I would love to know why this post was flagged for profanity, as neither of us used any.
Happens all the time - Usually, I just hit the 'post comment' button again, and it sails on through.....

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#321633 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Happens all the time - Usually, I just hit the 'post comment' button again, and it sails on through.....
Yeah, me too. I was just having a hard time figuring out what word it was flagging :)
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#321634 Feb 6, 2014
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Insured or not, he'll still have a massive amount in the way of hospital bills for that two month period. Are you so stupid you don't understand this? The hospital should have to eat that amount, don't you think?
Yes
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#321635 Feb 6, 2014
R C Honey wrote:
<quoted text>And from your perspective, and that includes every woman who gets pregnant, what would you want to happen? Leave it alone, and see what happens, right? Leave that woman alone, don't interfere in any way, and see what happens. You want to have that happen in all pregnancies, right?
I was speaking about her specifically.
Ink

Philadelphia, PA

#321636 Feb 6, 2014
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>It is an interesting article, but it's just a few cases and out of the few cases the patients still died. Yes, there have been cases of misdiagnosis, which are very few.
Would you be okay with a loved one of your's being prematurely harvested? From what I read, it isn't all that rare.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#321637 Feb 6, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you be okay with a loved one of your's being prematurely harvested? From what I read, it isn't all that rare.
First, define prematurely!?!?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#321638 Feb 6, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I was speaking about her specifically.
And specifically deviating from your usual stance. Because this particular circumstance, and the way it's being resolved, doesn't fit your usual script.

Your usual stance, and script, being that we shouldn't be able to interfere with the natural progression of pregnancy....but in this case, it's interference of which you approve....apparently you like the idea of flogging a corpse to gestate.

Friggin' hypocrite.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#321639 Feb 6, 2014
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, define the patient case!?!?
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321640 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>It's the explanation the doctor who presided over my son's case gave us, when my son was pronounced brain dead, the day after he collapsed from a brain aneurysm. We elected to let him stay on the vent until recipients were found for his organs - a process that took approximately 48 hours - and we were also told that if the harvest team couldn't start in 72 hours, his organs wouldn't be viable enough to transplant.
Why would anyone allow a loved one to remain attached to a ventilator for fourteen years - and why did they then 'pull the plug'?
Tired of waiting? Got a bit pricey? Or was the poor corpse just too pathetic to keep flogging at that point?
Your son was kept alive while brain dead amd you were *okay* with that? Yet, you were digusted that the courts wanted to keep the woman alive so that her child could have a chance at her life?!?!

Interesting!
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321641 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I can see both sides too, you know...I just think your side is nuts.
The woman made her end of life wishes clear, and the State ignored them . Treated her in a manner she specifically said she didn't want, even against the wishes of her next of kin, and the next of kin of the fetus she carried.
You do realize the law the hospital says it was "...trying to follow...", applies to VIABLE fetuses....right? No human fetus is viable at fourteen weeks of pregnancy. The hospital is in for a massive lawsuit, which will cost the State millions to defend, and continue to show Texas Legislators as puritanical narcissists, who are bent on taking women's reproductive health care access, not to mention our legal status, back to the middle ages.
This was nothing more than a political stunt. An attempt to force the views of the hospital's administration on a bereaved family, and to advance the careers of the politicians who backed them.
Like most of the actions of the so-called 'pro-life' cabal, it was never about 'life'.
Wendy Davis for Governor of Texas!!!
"""the woman made her end of life clear"""" "

The case a few years back where a similar situation happened, involved a husband who claimed the same. He said he loved his wife and fought the courts to abort the child claiming it was what SHE would have n wanted. He won eventually. His wife was brain dead and comatose. Well, she unexpectedly awoke. Short story long,he left her amd she said that she would NEVER have aborted.

Secondly, the woman may have said that but it didn't include while pregnant. Think about it, who WOULDN'T say that. Who would want to be in that state forever? Yet, being pregnant changes everything. That husband from day ONE was quick to pull the plug. Many people have been hopeless and yet awake and live normal lives. He didn't even give her a chance and facts were inconclusive at that point. A similar situation happened to another pregnant woman(I forget how far along she was) and the baby was born healthy.
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321642 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>And specifically deviating from your usual stance. Because this particular circumstance, and the way it's being resolved, doesn't fit your usual script.
Your usual stance, and script, being that we shouldn't be able to interfere with the natural progression of pregnancy....but in this case, it's interference of which you approve....apparently you like the idea of flogging a corpse to gestate.
Friggin' hypocrite.
Didn't you *flog* your sons corpse to help another?a total stranger even?
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321643 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Women have IVF procedures, PLANNING on destroying several human embryos....THEIR OWN OFFSPRING, which just don't happen to be in a uterus....
Our little inkubator gives those women a pass, because they WANT to be pregnant. They WANT to 'fulfill their God-given purpose'. So their willingness to kill the many, in favor of the few, is forgiven.
Ink isn't sure embryos absent a uterus to occupy, are REALLY human anyway.
That is called abortion. Who gave you the idea that it wasn't?@@
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321644 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>She KNEW she was pregnant. She knew she was fourteen weeks along....and as paramedic, she knew what happens to brain-dead bodies on a ventilator .
Even Ink should be able to see that she did NOT amend her will / final document / whatever you want to call it, to reflect a desire to BE on a ventilator, should she die while pregnant.
If she had, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
She didn't. The State did it for her.
That's unconscionable.
Again, many patients that were considered "hopeless* cases, brain dead, on life support with no chance of recovery, etc...beat all odds. Drs witness it as well as nurses. I am sure she had too. Of course she most likely made a statement that she didn't want to live like that (hooked upnto extra-ordinary means of life support). Who hasn't? Being pregnant would change that scenerio. Another life is at risk. If shenwas brain dead anyway, she wouldn't know either way. It's not like it was in vain to keep her alive, anymore than your son was (in your opinion).
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321645 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>To whom was it "worth the chance," Ink?
You?
The hospital, covering its own ass?
The father of that 'child' and their OTHER child, who may now be the subject of ridicule about his rotting mom, didn't think it was 'worth the chance'.....but your opinion should trump HIS?
Was it worth the chance to her? She didn't say so before she died, knowing she was pregnant....
"""She didn't say so before she died"""" """

So why assume that she would?

Why assume her childs life(whom she clearly wanted),wasn't worth it?

""""Rottin g mom"""" "

Oh good grief. What a drama queen.

Are you not aware that we are all *rotting* as our days go on?
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321646 Feb 6, 2014
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>She knew death during pregnancy was a possibility, though, Ink. She specifically did NOT provide for that outcome, with a stipulation that she be kept on a vent in the event she did die.....did she.
She was a paramedic, with empirical knowledge of what happens to a brain-dead body on a ventilator. Even a pregnant body. If she'd wanted to be kept on one, for the sake of her fetus, she'd have said so.
She said she didn't.
As far as ridiculing Mateo, of course >I< wouldn't - but I'm no longer a child, nor is Mateo going to grow up in a vacuum. He has a history now, thanks to the State of Texas, which used his mother as a political football in an effort to further political careers, and 'protect' the hospital from consequences it didn't care to risk. And his family may face financial ruin as a result of the hospital bills for "care" they didn't ask for, but were forced to endure anyway.
You might find that acceptable, but I don't.
""""she knew death during pregnancy was a possibility""" "

Oh? Really? Says who?
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#321647 Feb 6, 2014
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear EarthOneDeadBaby,
Remember this exchange? We do, too.==>
Ut oh! Did she get chewed out by her proabort friends?

Tsk tsk! Imagine admiting that the womans child is not her? Oh, and his/her own "unique, distinct human beings"?

*sigh*
VoteVets Org

New York, NY

#321648 Feb 6, 2014
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo!!! Well stated!
Agreed ! I especially like the part about "The unborn should have the same rights as the born".

Bravissimo !!!
<standing ovation>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,275,062
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 39 min Insults Are Easier 247,266
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 58 min SpaceBlues 6,833
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 11 hr tom wingo 29,915
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 16 Doctor Justice_ 201,862
More from around the web