Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310174 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#319817 Dec 30, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you ever disappear from this forum we'll now know why!
So far, every time I have disappeared, temporarily, it's been because of my schedule, but you never know, lol.
Gtown71

Tampa, FL

#319818 Dec 30, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>You know, just because you have a hidden agenda, doesn't mean everyone, or even 'most people' do .
I will agree with one thing you say here, however - you don't make sense.
Next...
Just try and imagine being woke n up by somerhing something you refered to as God, and the next day even the smallest curse word bothers you.

Plus now you have a deep desire to read a Bible watch preaching the Bible and praying.

Not to mention all the other things you used to believe in you now do not believe and such as abortion.

You tell me.
VoteVets Org

Brooklyn, NY

#319819 Dec 30, 2013
katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You have things backward. The C-Section was forced upon her against her wishes. She chose to treat the cancer, but the hospital wouldn't let her while pregnant. Her wishes were ignored even though, posthumously, the higher court determined her bodily autonomy was paramount over the fetus'.
"At age thirteen, Angela Stoner was diagnosed with a rare and usually fatal form of cancer, Ewing's sarcoma. Despite numerous doctors warning her of imminent death she survived. After years of chemotherapy and radiation therapy she was declared to be in remission. She got married and sought her doctor's advice on whether she could become pregnant with her health history. Since her cancer had been in remission for several years, her obstetrician said to go ahead and get pregnant, which she did.
In 1987, when Carder was twenty-six weeks pregnant, her cancer was discovered to have recurred and metastasized to her lung. Her initial plan was to begin radiation and chemotherapy immediately as she had been through too much already not to at least try to prolong her life, regardless of risks to the fetus. The doctors at George Washington University Hospital in Washington, D.C. immediately gave Carder only days to live and disagreed with her choice to put her own life ahead of that of the fetus. Instead of treating the cancer, they ignored her protests and inserted an oral feeding tube into her and administered sedatives in an effort to delay her death and increase her fetus' chance of continued development."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_re_A.C .
Great, you tell me I got it backwards with you having the benefit of the additional information NOT included in your original post.
Go back and read your original post and link. All that is indicated in there is that she was 26 weeks pregnant, doctors had determined that her death was close, her family didn't want the section because it might shorten her life (no explanation how a c-section could shorten the life of someone whose death was already imminent) and that the hospital was seeking a c-section in order to save her potentially viable fetus. Nothing about the fact that she intended to undergo chemo to possibly save or prolong her life or that chemo at that point was even an option.....NOTHING.
Based on your original post my questions and comments were valid and I had nothing backward.
In hindsight given the additional info you provided she certainly should have been given potential life saving chemo. So there goes your theory that all PL were pleased with the decision and outcome.
Never ASS-ume.
katie

Federal Way, WA

#319820 Dec 30, 2013
VoteVets Org wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, you tell me I got it backwards with you having the benefit of the additional information NOT included in your original post.
Go back and read your original post and link. All that is indicated in there is that she was 26 weeks pregnant, doctors had determined that her death was close, her family didn't want the section because it might shorten her life (no explanation how a c-section could shorten the life of someone whose death was already imminent) and that the hospital was seeking a c-section in order to save her potentially viable fetus. Nothing about the fact that she intended to undergo chemo to possibly save or prolong her life or that chemo at that point was even an option.....NOTHING.
Based on your original post my questions and comments were valid and I had nothing backward.
In hindsight given the additional info you provided she certainly should have been given potential life saving chemo. So there goes your theory that all PL were pleased with the decision and outcome.
Never ASS-ume.
You chose to post an opinion before copying and pasting the name into your search bar. Don't blame me because you couldn't decipher the forced C-Section from the first paragraph of what I'd posted. It's in there. Nobody fooled you. Except yourself maybe. Or you are just blaming me for your ineptness.

<shrug>

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#319821 Dec 30, 2013
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>But you're not accounting for Higgs' Bosons.
No indeed not "grump," and the reason for that is simply that I don't understand the Higgs Boson branch well enough to adequately comment on it. I've read the articles in Time magazine, National Geographic, Smithsonian, and articles online and, quite frankly, the more I read, the more I find myself scratching my head. Theoretical physics and particle physics are branches of scientific inquiry that I've not studied. Yeah I've read a couple of books like, "God and the New Physics," or "Quark and the Jaguar," but these are subjects that really require a formal method of study and, more importantly, a solid understanding of the foundation material.
My math is fairly dreadful so, even though I made it through Physics, it was clear to me that I wasn't progressing much further along that avenue--heck even the Wikipedia entry for the Higgs Boson has enough eye-watering formulas to make my head turn to clay;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson
What I was trying to illustrate for "Gtown," was that there are methods that scientists use to gauge the age of the Earth, and the Universe that aren't simply "guesstimations." There's an orderly process that they teach in basic Astronomy, that this isn't some mystical sort of "soothsaying," or blind stabbing randomly in the dark...

Happy New Year "Grump!"

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#319822 Dec 30, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just try and imagine being woke n up by somerhing something you refered to as God, and the next day even the smallest curse word bothers you.
Plus now you have a deep desire to read a Bible watch preaching the Bible and praying.
Not to mention all the other things you used to believe in you now do not believe and such as abortion.
You tell me.
Again, no one cares about your conversion. It had nothing to do with her post.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#319823 Dec 30, 2013
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously RC, I'm going to ask you because I know you will give me a thoughtful, honest answer.
I go to work every day to support my wife and kids, I have been hurt physically at times but I keep on. Many in my trade have lost fingers, limbs, and some their lives, but its part of being a man, a husband, a father, I feel it's my responsibility/obligation. I would never hurt or kill any potential life to this family to make it easier for me. Yeah, I understand that I could never endure the temporary inconveniences and pain of pregnancy, as I could never understand the true beauty and majesty of giving birth to something that truly grew from me and within me. And I do understand that there are times when abortion is a necessary option, but is there ever a time when abortion is ONLY about the woman's personal interests? Is there ever a time that the woman considers that fetus just a "worthless wad of cells"? Is there ever a time that a woman aborts without considering the father or the potential child? As a man, and considering some of these women’s posts here, I question how they could ever even attempt to insult people like me, you or your husband's view that life is precious and must be considered as such.
okay, I'll try. In the 'past' when a country went to war, wasn't the man (majority of the fighter's were men,,, c'mon people) putting his life at risk? Don't men all over the world put their lives at risk for their families, their countries? Women too, of course, but let's be reasonable, more men.

As far as pain goes? Really? Okay, labour hurts A LOT, so what? So do a lot of things,,, like a limb getting shot off etc etc etc...(I'd pick labour) At standing (and yes, I realize I'll get a beat down for this) there are more men in 'dangerous' work than women. From 'our' countries perspective, we choose our own vocation (for the most part) and then we can get into the advantage/disadvantage argument, but let's move from that for a bit. Men put their lives at risk for a whole lot of things... women too, but again, more men. Life's a risk, and no one gets out alive!

Men's rights? This is not a secret from me. I defiantly think they should have more. How? beats me. To what extent? Again,((shrug))

It's a heartless woman that won't include 'him' in her decision, and if the woman is dealing with a man like you with your perspective, mind set, YOU should not be dismissed, especially with the level of involvement a man like you would be willing to commit. 100% if need be imo. And not to have you toot your own horn too much (lol), there are a lot of men like you. My bro is one of them. I know it would break his heart if that happened to him, but then there's the argument he knew what he was doing... blah blah blah.... but that doesn't change his 'feelings'. Then there is the alternative giving the men equal say... Holy Sh*t.... complicated, and beats the hell out of me.

And as far as feeling a 'life' growing inside me, I can go through it, but you can't? Yes, awe inspiring, incredible, beautiful,.... you won't ever know what that's like, but you kinda already do. You went through the same emotions as your wife. Mentally? Same. Physically? ummmm errrrrrr coughcough

What's it like to be kicked in the balls? Nah,,,, not really that curious... nevermind
Gtown71

Tampa, FL

#319824 Dec 30, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, no one cares about your conversion. It had nothing to do with her post.
Well apparently you did well enough to comment as usual :)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#319825 Dec 30, 2013
Happy New,Year .

Evidently Hollywood believes,there is,money to be made from believers in God .

First link is to one of three movies ...I've Said this before ..during the FLOOD ..IT DID NOT just rain ...if the heart basically flooded from inside and above ...imagine a this layers that archaeology is so proud of
Turned into mush ..

Anyhow this looks great so do the others mentioned in the second link ..big name actors too !!!! Very graphic depiction of what j was trying to explain a,few times ..regarding the flood :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Here is the article about here New movies

http://flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com/2013/12...

PEACE EVERYONE ..

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#319826 Dec 30, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell me.
Sounds like a mental disease.

Have a licensed psychiatrist tell you.

Next...

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#319827 Dec 30, 2013
They're also going to release a new Godzilla movie....:)
RoSesz wrote:
Happy New,Year .
Evidently Hollywood believes,there is,money to be made from believers in God .
First link is to one of three movies ...I've Said this before ..during the FLOOD ..IT DID NOT just rain ...if the heart basically flooded from inside and above ...imagine a this layers that archaeology is so proud of
Turned into mush ..
Anyhow this looks great so do the others mentioned in the second link ..big name actors too !!!! Very graphic depiction of what j was trying to explain a,few times ..regarding the flood :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
Here is the article about here New movies
http://flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com/2013/12...
PEACE EVERYONE ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#319828 Dec 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,but that is,not ODD for,Hollywood ..spending so much on that NOAH movie,..Russell Crowe ..Tony Hopkins,...nothing this,big since the,sixties for the,believers...except the,PASSION..wish that had been in English ...

Watch that trailer !!!,

Have a,great year Peter.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319829 Dec 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Never heard of hypothermia?
The congress is tasked, among other things, with providing for the general welfare. It has nothing to do with individual rights.
<quoted text>
Taxing people takes away their right to property. The right to do whatever you want is not guaranteed by the constitution. When you take someones money away from them it limits their freedom to do what they what to do with the money they earn. So yes you believe in limiting peoples rights in order to help other homo sapiens survive. I believe we should help provide for the general welfare of all homo sapiens. Including the unborn ones.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319830 Dec 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Sorry, not playing your game. A woman has a right to abort a pregnancy. If the fetus dies in the process, I DON'T CARE. No organism, homo sapien, or future farmer of america has a right to be gestated without her permission.
<quoted text>
I'm guessing that is the closest I'm going to get to an answer to my question. You believe that it is ok to kill homo sapiens that have done nothing wrong. It seems rather self-evident to me that we shouldn't discriminate and kill homo sapiens that have done nothing wrong based on completely arbitrary criteria. You don't believe in equality for all homo sapiens. As a liberal I pride myself on the fact that I push for equality and non-discrimination of all homo sapiens. You clearly think that we should be able to discriminate against certain homo sapiens that you determine are not worthy of any legal consideration based on your own arbitrary criteria. Your position is quite conservative. It is a small government, anti-eguality, and pro-discrimination position. I'm willing to bet that you have absolutely no problem with abortions performed on female homo sapiens based only on their gender. Once we find physical evidence that determines that homo sapiens are conceived gay you will probably still support the right to kill those homo sapiens based on their sexual orientation. Your position is sexist and homophobic. I appreciate the fact that you finally gave me somewhat of an answer. I sure wish it hadn't taken a week to get it though.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319831 Dec 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Both RvW and HIPAA define privacy in terms of abortion specifically and medical info in general. You have no right to know if a woman is pregnant or not, much less what she does about it.
<quoted text>
Why do pro-abortion rights people always do this. Its the current law so I can't disagree with it. It is just non-sense. Partial birth abortion is illegal. I'm not so afraid to argue about it that I just dismiss everyone's opinion by saying its what the law says therefore you can't disagree with it. It shows a sign of weakness when you resort to such tactics. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is none of my business whether or not the law should be changed. That goes for any law.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#319832 Dec 30, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxing people takes away their right to property. The right to do whatever you want is not guaranteed by the constitution. When you take someones money away from them it limits their freedom to do what they what to do with the money they earn. So yes you believe in limiting peoples rights in order to help other homo sapiens survive. I believe we should help provide for the general welfare of all homo sapiens. Including the unborn ones.
I couldn't make much of this word salad, but it sounds suspiciously like you're trying to place a monetary value on the life of the unborn, by comparing abortion to taxation....

What are you, some kinda creep, or something?
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319833 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Then why aren't you over in Africa saving all those people from AIDs and starvation and lack of medical care and genocide...
Why aren't you taking homeless folks into your home so they won't freeze to death...
Why aren't you out there trying to save all the people who are about to be murdered for the change in their pockets...?
I donate money to charity and give to the homeless. I volunteer my time to help addicts and alcoholics. I am disabled so my ability to help is somewhat limited but I feel like I do more than most people. I could do more, everyone can do more. I donated money and voted for Obama and since he was elected we have gotten the affordable care act.(which in my opinion is not even close to as liberal as it should be ex. no public option) I don't feel like I should have to go to Africa in order to support the affordable care act which saves lives. I also don't feel like I should have to go to Africa in order to support pro-life laws which also save lives. The PPACA is a pro-life law BTW.
Khan the Great

Phillipsburg, NJ

#319834 Dec 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
You will go to salivate over the monsters wang. You are a pathetic old tinker bell.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319835 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Wrong. It's about having the right to makes one's own choices. Abortion is just one choice of many, and is not always the choice that is made. It's not even always the choice that is considered.
Either your being willfully ignorant or your having trouble understanding me. If you support the right to an abortion then it is completely fair to say you are "pro-abortion rights." I didn't say you are "pro-abortion" I said you hold a "pro-abortion rights" position. don't understand why you find that so difficult to grasp. If you can't admit that this is your position then you should rethink your position because you are clearly uncomfortable with the way I accurately describe it.
Mike

Belleville, IL

#319836 Dec 30, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I couldn't make much of this word salad, but it sounds suspiciously like you're trying to place a monetary value on the life of the unborn, by comparing abortion to taxation....
What are you, some kinda creep, or something?
No. I am saying that in this country we limit peoples rights in order to help other homo sapiens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Caliphony 1,252,389
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 hr Aura Mytha 243,503
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Sun Earthling-1 6,277
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Sun GoGoGrandMaHillary 1,653
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... Sat Fartman 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 4 tom wingo 29,828
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul 2 Fartman 24
More from around the web