Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313382 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#319407 Dec 28, 2013
You keep bringing up science, and scientific terminology is not subjective. A fetus is a potential member of a species, not a member until successfully born.

Why do people like you keep arguing scientific principles while clearly not comprehending them?
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Member of the species. The term "member of the species" can be subjective as well. What exactly qualifies someone as a "member" can be subjective. A fetuses are homo sapiens stop denying basic scientific principles. They are living organisms which are biologically classified as homo sapiens.

Indianapolis

#319408 Dec 28, 2013
I call needs things like medical care and coverage, a stable home, proper nutrition, decent clothing, and intellectual stimulation/education. Most people have kids too young, before they are ready economically, emotionally, and intellectually. The effects are obvious--children raising children.
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
If people wait until they can afford what we call needs. Health care, education, including college, then there would not be many born.
Kids need food, water, clothing, and lots of solid love. Most of what we see as needs are wants.
Go to any convenience store and see how many needs they sell verses wants.

Indianapolis

#319409 Dec 28, 2013
Nothing wrong with lust; it's part of our biological/psychological heritage.
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many do. I have. It's called lust.

Indianapolis

#319410 Dec 28, 2013
There is no need at all for a compromise; it's the woman's body and her pregnancy. Its nobody's business what she does with it. Why should moralistic buttinskies have any say at all in that process?
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>What you seem to confuse is that "morals" do not have to have religious foundations, in fact, religious morals were founded by man, not God, do you understand that? Unfortunately, their "morals" were not inclusive of any other view point but their own, which really was not moral, right/just. What I was saying is that although there may not be a "moral" conclusion to the abortion issue, since morals are subjective, there must be a moral approach to a compromise, which considers all, realistic and relevant.

Indianapolis

#319411 Dec 28, 2013
The SCOTUS only allows state's interest in the third trimester, and there is no mandate for a state to do anything at all if it chooses not to.
No matter how "good" a man is, he carries precisely ZERO risk or liability during the pregnancy.
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe it comes down to this, if you don’t like the fact that the SCOTUS found that once a woman is pregnant it is no longer JUST about her, don’t like it? Don’t get pregnant! But you’re fooling yourself if you think that good men are not a major part of supporting a pregnancy and a born child. Well, sometimes you can’t see the trailer for the trailer park, perhaps you should hold out for a good partner rather than the man with the crack pipe? Sorry, but I gue5370ss I’m not "holier than thou"...

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#319412 Dec 28, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Atheists are people who realize deities are mythical pacifiers and nothing more. Women react to pregnancy in many ways; not all find it something to look forward to.
<quoted text>
Exactly.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319413 Dec 28, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Continue to be willfully ignorant if you want to. The pro-life movement is making gains with democratic support. Burying your head in the sand is not going to change that. Abortion has nothing to do with human reproduction. You reproduce by having sex not giving birth. It is called sexual reproduction. Abortion in no way stops sexual reproduction from happening. If you think otherwise you need to go back and take 8th grade biology. You also have lost all credibility to make fun of people who don't believe in evolution and climate change. Understanding evolutionary theory and climate change are much more difficult to understand than whether or not a fetus is human or how people reproduce. Your willful ignorance is a sign that there is no point in discussing things with you. You can't or won't acknowledge grade school biology. This is not a difficult thing to grasp. I guess you are so blinded by your pro-abortion rights mentality that you can't seem to admit basic scientific principles.
What are you going on about? Your attempts to make yourself look intellectually superior are failing miserably. I'm pretty sure most women have a very clear understanding of female reproductive biology and don't need your help on that, Mikey. Biology is not the ultimate point here, and we all know how pregnancy occurs and that a fetus is human. This is about women having the right to choose what is best for themselves, and not being forced to give birth against their will...something nobody will ever do to you, Mikey.

Bitner is in an honored profession of caring for women and infants after birth. You Lifers simply loose interest in what happens after birth has occurred since your only interest is forcing women to gestate and raise children.

It's all about the embryo with you lifers, but women (and babies once born) are the ones with the rights...as it should be.

Indianapolis

#319414 Dec 28, 2013
You can consider a fetus to be precious if you wish, but nobody else needs to agree with you...not even your wife.
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously RC, I'm going to ask you because I know you will give me a thoughtful, honest answer.
I go to work every day to support my wife and kids, I have been hurt physically at times but I keep on. Many in my trade have lost fingers, limbs, and some their lives, but its part of being a man, a husband, a father, I feel it's my responsibility/obligation. I would never hurt or kill any potential life to this family to make it easier for me. Yeah, I understand that I could never endure the temporary inconveniences and pain of pregnancy, as I could never understand the true beauty and majesty of giving birth to something that truly grew from me and within me. And I do understand that there are times when abortion is a necessary option, but is there ever a time when abortion is ONLY about the woman's personal interests? Is there ever a time that the woman considers that fetus just a "worthless wad of cells"? Is there ever a time that a woman aborts without considering the father or the potential child? As a man, and considering some of these women’s posts here, I question how they could ever even attempt to insult people like me, you or your husband's view that life is precious and must be considered as such.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319415 Dec 28, 2013
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't. That is not what I said. Consent to sex is consent to the possibility of sexual reproduction which can result in becoming a life support system for another homo sapiens.
Mikey, when you become one of those "life support systems" then you can choose to do what you think is best, until then I doubt very many women give a damn about your rhetoric.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319416 Dec 28, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
ridiculous. if the definition states that it causes the death of the embryo/zygote are you trying to claim the definition does "not" include causing the death of the same entity a few weeks later when it is labelled a fetus ?
No, my point was that most abortions occur during the earlier stages.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319417 Dec 28, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm not arguing for no restrictions. i'm trying to find out just exactly why you "aren't".
you are as thick as a pc brick.
You want to talk about thick? I have said this dozens of times so pay attention...

Everything...In...Our...Societ y....Comes.....With....Some... .Kind....Of.....Restrictions.. ...I....Understand.....That... .Fact.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319418 Dec 28, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. Hope you did as well. I thought about you when wal mart stayed closed until they5am the day after Christmas.:)
LOL! Good for them. Did you see in the news that McDonald's finally shut down their employee website "McResources"? It had such sage advice, like how much to tip the pool boy and the housekeeper. And then McFuckTheWageEarners reps said people were taking their content out of context.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319419 Dec 28, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Fetus is the term for any number of vertebrates, not just humans. So no, you're wrong.
LMAO!! Another embarrassing moment for Mikey the Intellectual Giant.

"Feti" was my favorite so far...haha!

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319420 Dec 28, 2013
Bless the Child wrote:
<quoted text>
We are all equal in the eyes of God. I mean you no harm and only commented on your angry words. Atheism is merely the absence of God in your life. Many lose hope due to the struggles of life and start to doubt their beliefs. Atheists generally are such people. I hope you are well. I pray for your soul; and hope you find peace and joy during this most Holy season of Love.
You clearly make a lot of erroneous assumptions.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319421 Dec 28, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>They can only describe that with which they are familiar.
It's much easier to say we 'hate god' or 'hate babies' or 'hate ourselves', than it is to admit that they are powerless to end abortion, or to affect another woman's reproductive choices.
They hate even the THOUGHT of admitting such a thing.
I think it's some kind of bizarre projection. They speak so often about other people being filled with hate or being so miserable that I suspect the fundies are really the ones who are so miserable and so filled with hate. These people have got some real mental problems.

The fact that they can't control everyone must be making THEM miserable, not us.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#319422 Dec 28, 2013
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, It sounds like bad experience, I'm sorry. But the truth is that any cost incurred for a pregnancy the man is at least 1/2 responsible, any cost necessary to raise that child, the man is at least 1/2 responsible. A far as "her uterus...her body...her life" well, no, once she made a conscience decision to have sex and a developing fetus is involved, it's no longer JUST about her, even the SCOTUS agrees with me on this.
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of men who run from that responsibility and leave women and children living poverty. The usual response on here is something like 'then they're not real men' but that does not solve the problem. The women are the ones who are left to deal with everything when the men run or shirk responsibility...the women, and none of the fundie rhetoric on here will change that fact.
Gtown71

United States

#319423 Dec 28, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Good for them. Did you see in the news that McDonald's finally shut down their employee website "McResources"? It had such sage advice, like how much to tip the pool boy and the housekeeper. And then McFuckTheWageEarners reps said people were taking their content out of context.
I didn't even know Mcdonalds had such a site. Lol
Ink

Havertown, PA

#319424 Dec 28, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can die is you have never lived
I assume you mean 'you can't die if you never lived'. Does that mean you don't think the fetus is alive?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#319426 Dec 28, 2013
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe it comes down to this, if you don’t like the fact that the SCOTUS found that once a woman is pregnant it is no longer JUST about her, don’t like it? Don’t get pregnant! But you’re fooling yourself if you think that good men are not a major part of supporting a pregnancy and a born child. Well, sometimes you can’t see the trailer for the trailer park, perhaps you should hold out for a good partner rather than the man with the crack pipe? Sorry, but I guess I’m not "holier than thou"...
Your premise works on the assumption that all men are 'good men'. We both know that's not the case, and that deadbeat dads (and moms) are actually quite common.

When you figure out a way to physically bind a man to his unborn progeny for nine months, allocating to his body all the risks of gestation, let me know.

I live in a house, in a very quiet neighborhood - if you think living in a trailer park is somehow shameful, don't buy a trailer.

I'm quite aware that you are in no way 'holier' than I ...perhaps you should stop trying to be.

What's a 'crack pipe'?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#319427 Dec 28, 2013
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>OK, I will, not tonight but I will, it's ridiculous Bit. What you're missing is that there are already civil laws and precedence that any person that causes damages via medical conditions to another is liable for costs incurred. Or perhaps your argument is that pregnancy is not a medical condition? lol, another argument... I will provide some cases.
Go ahead.

But the fact that one judge MAY decide that one man owes one woman damages, is not what the question was, and I'm pretty sure you knew that already. You're desperate to show that a man has just as much invested in a pregnancy as a woman does, that you're going to pretend that exceptions are the rule.

There is no law, civil, or otherwise, that states a man is financially responsible for a woman's pregnancy, prenatal care, labor and delivery. None.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,497,257
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Mother Knows Best 10,983
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr ResidentPhartx 32,756
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Tue TrumpsPhartsx 99
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Tue waaasssuuup 258,484
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 15 Jhuerta 287
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web