Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313382 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ocean56

AOL

#316041 Nov 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
I say it is working quite well for women/girls. How can demanding birth from an unwilling participant be beneficial? if you think going backwards for women is appropriate then I challenge to also go backwards. Do you own a car? Give it up and return to a horse and carriage.
Women/girls having choices and in control of their reproductive decisions is as it should be. Not government, not religion and certainly not you. Try to grasp that.
"Gtown" is having a lot of trouble grasping the simple concept of women/girls making our OWN choices regarding sex and reproduction instead of some guy -- preferably him -- making those decisions for us.

To me, he's one of those regressive religionist guys who would love to see the 19th-century "cult of true womanhood" nonsense imposed on all women. He and other guys like him are just mad because that isn't going to happen.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#316042 Nov 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lady, you seem to be a passionate nostalgic person. I am myself, and that's a good thing :)
I'm off Thanksgiving Day and the day before, but go in at 6pm Christmas eve, and get off at 6am Christmas Day.
There will be momments and pockets of those who still get a glimpse of the Holiday spirit. It seems it's up to each person, to a point.
Peace :)
Mornin' G.

People are complaining about wallowing in debt. People are complaining about being stressed or too busy. So why is it so difficult to have one day to just relax, spend time with family and friends and keep the credit cards in the wallet?

I don't care if a person celebrates Christmas for secular or religious reasons, but damn, do we have to sacrifice part of one holiday to start a spend-a-thon for the next holiday? Is adding to personal debt and amassing more material possessions really what it's all about??

One good thing about the whole shopping season is that I get to spend the weekends having the running/hiking trails to myself because most everyone else is running from store to store, waiting in long lines and incurring more debt.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#316043 Nov 17, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes NR, certain babies. What about all the children growing up in foster homes and orphanages? What about them, NR?
I'm not sure we even have orphanages anymore but even if we do many well know accomplished people have grown up in orphanages.

Second the children in foster care have parents who have let them down in some way. Many are children of drug addicted mothers or criminals. Thank God for the wonderful people, for the most part who care for these kids while their mothers are getting their act together or family members can be found to care for them. Totally irresponsible parents aren't being avoided by abortion or there wouldn't be neglectful parents. Abortion has been legal for 40 years now and we still have children in crisis.

It starts in the home where children who turn in young adults are influenced by parents and if they are getting the wrong influence and role modelss, it continues generation after generation.
Ocean56

AOL

#316044 Nov 17, 2013
keepyoursnatchshut wrote:
Maybe if all them bi#ches and #hores kept their legs and snatches shut in the first place, there wouldn't be any reason for them to have abortions! RLMFAO
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight; another misogynist moron who want women to have only TWO "choices," pregnancy or celibacy. Guess what, goofy, NO woman has to punish herself with celibacy if she doesn't want pregnancy. Maybe one day you'll figure that out.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#316045 Nov 17, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you have contradicted yourself, several times.
What wrong with it? I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.
I DID say that no sane parent would allow someone they consider to be an unrepentant "baby murderer" "borrow" their child, especially one they claim they didn't share much of their personal life with, just had "interests together". And I stand by that.
Put the shovel down.
Maybe her daughter was being an "inconvenience" that day. Maybe putting a wrench in Inks plans.

Location hidden

#316046 Nov 17, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bacterial vaginosis doesn't smell like roses.
Why your nose in her vagina?
Gtown71

United States

#316047 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Mornin' G.
People are complaining about wallowing in debt. People are complaining about being stressed or too busy. So why is it so difficult to have one day to just relax, spend time with family and friends and keep the credit cards in the wallet?
I don't care if a person celebrates Christmas for secular or religious reasons, but damn, do we have to sacrifice part of one holiday to start a spend-a-thon for the next holiday? Is adding to personal debt and amassing more material possessions really what it's all about??
One good thing about the whole shopping season is that I get to spend the weekends having the running/hiking trails to myself because most everyone else is running from store to store, waiting in long lines and incurring more debt.
As the saying goes -people spend money they don't have to buy things for people they don't like. Who don't like them either and may carry the thing back. Lol

I've been there done that, but not anymore.

Not having much family comes in handy at times :)

What you wrote was very true! Sad but true!

Goodnight :)
Gtown71

United States

#316048 Nov 17, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Gtown" is having a lot of trouble grasping the simple concept of women/girls making our OWN choices regarding sex and reproduction instead of some guy -- preferably him -- making those decisions for us.
To me, he's one of those regressive religionist guys who would love to see the 19th-century "cult of true womanhood" nonsense imposed on all women. He and other guys like him are just mad because that isn't going to happen.
Did you bother reading my post? Lol

Not mad ocean.

I feel for the modern woman.

Again women can and do as they please.

Don't like men? Don't have one :)
doc

Australia

#316049 Nov 17, 2013
Is there any other country in the world that feels the same way when it comes to the abortion issue ?
Gtown71

United States

#316050 Nov 17, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight; another misogynist moron who want women to have only TWO "choices," pregnancy or celibacy. Guess what, goofy, NO woman has to punish herself with celibacy if she doesn't want pregnancy. Maybe one day you'll figure that out.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Pregnancy : OPTIONAL, not required.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#316051 Nov 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pregnancy : OPTIONAL, not required.
Yep, and what a woman does about her own is not a requirement, either. Now you're getting it. It's simply no one's business but her own, and anyone she chooses to share that decision with.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#316052 Nov 17, 2013
For many people, fostering is a job; they get a check for taking care of a kid. The rates of abuse among fostered kids is horrific. Some kids get bounced from home to home. The most bizarre aspect is that, if the family is actually loving and nourishing, most states will not allow them to adopt the kid.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure we even have orphanages anymore but even if we do many well know accomplished people have grown up in orphanages.
Second the children in foster care have parents who have let them down in some way. Many are children of drug addicted mothers or criminals. Thank God for the wonderful people, for the most part who care for these kids while their mothers are getting their act together or family members can be found to care for them. Totally irresponsible parents aren't being avoided by abortion or there wouldn't be neglectful parents. Abortion has been legal for 40 years now and we still have children in crisis.
It starts in the home where children who turn in young adults are influenced by parents and if they are getting the wrong influence and role modelss, it continues generation after generation.
Values

United States

#316053 Nov 17, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, and what a woman does about her own is not a requirement, either. Now you're getting it. It's simply no one's business but her own, and anyone she chooses to share that decision with.
We all began in the depths of our mothers body. Thank goodness that most mothers would protect her chid that's growing inside her. It's nature. Women have legal opportunities to end her Childs life but that's the extent of it. It's dine but it will never be her right.

We are not created by chance. We are meant to be. We have a purpose. Nobody has a right to decide if we live or die based sorely on whether one person- our biological mother-wants us.

Please believe in our existence as more than just a fluke of nature.

Love! Hope! Respect! Dignity!

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#316054 Nov 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Where I grew up orphanages were called receiving homes (just a bit of trivia).

For every issue one has to dig and dig through many layers to get to the root cause(s) and then in doing so perhaps solve the problem by addressing that root cause.

Adoption won't solve the problem. Making abortion illegal won't solve the problem. Forcing women to look at ultrasounds won't solve the problem.

The fact is, no issue stands on its own. For every abortion there is a poverty stricken single mom who had her baby, or there is an abandoned baby/child. For every single mom there is a bad decision, or a runaway father, or a dead father, etc. For every condom passed out in schools there is still a teen walking around thinking "a pregnancy won't happen to me...".

And there are plenty of great parents who ended up with a pregnant teen or a boy who became a teen father.

We will never, ever eradicate abortion OR unwanted children. Yes, parents need to teach, teach, teach their children AND set an example. People need to stop making welfare a generational thing, and boys/men need to be held just as accountable for their actions. Young girls MUST learn that getting pregnant is NOT cool. And drugs? If people can't see what a problem drugs are in this society then they're just ignorant...I'm sorry, but they are, and there is way too much drug dependency going on. And way too much enabling and justifying.

And birth control must be accepted, available, affordable, improved upon, and encouraged.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#316055 Nov 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
As the saying goes -people spend money they don't have to buy things for people they don't like. Who don't like them either and may carry the thing back. Lol
I've been there done that, but not anymore.
Not having much family comes in handy at times :)
What you wrote was very true! Sad but true!
Goodnight :)
I've got an even-steven thing going on...my parents and last surviving grandparent passed away over the course of 4 years and so when the holidays came around I figured I would be scaling back to just a few people, and then my oldest went and had 3 kids...lol!

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#316056 Nov 17, 2013
Values wrote:
<quoted text> We all began in the depths of our mothers body. Thank goodness that most mothers would protect her chid that's growing inside her. It's nature. Women have legal opportunities to end her Childs life but that's the extent of it. It's dine but it will never be her right.
We are not created by chance. We are meant to be. We have a purpose. Nobody has a right to decide if we live or die based sorely on whether one person- our biological mother-wants us.
You are entitled to your opinion, but our opinions don't constitute fact.

Modern medicine means we are no longer slaves to our biology. Unless you wish to eliminate all medical treatments for unwanted conditions, you have no argument.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#316057 Nov 17, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
For many people, fostering is a job; they get a check for taking care of a kid. The rates of abuse among fostered kids is horrific. Some kids get bounced from home to home. The most bizarre aspect is that, if the family is actually loving and nourishing, most states will not allow them to adopt the kid.
<quoted text>
Sad but true. These are not all loving, altruistic people. This is going to be a gross generalization, but I often think the States scrape the bottom of the social worker barrel when they do their hiring.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#316058 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Sad but true. These are not all loving, altruistic people. This is going to be a gross generalization, but I often think the States scrape the bottom of the social worker barrel when they do their hiring.
That could be. Or, it could be that these people have run into the wall of bureaucracy so many times, and are tired of getting a headache trying to fight a system that no longer works. You see the same thing with teachers. They start out enthusiastic, wanting to help people, full of good intentions, and by the time they reach tenure, so many of them are jaded. I remember being shocked at many of the comments I heard from my first husband and his fellow teachers until I realized it came from sheer frustration with the system, a coping mechanism. Sort of like the "gallows humor" among medical students/professionals. It can be frustrating when you can't do any good, no matter how much you want to.

Location hidden

#316059 Nov 17, 2013
Values wrote:
<quoted text> We all began in the depths of our mothers body. Thank goodness that most mothers would protect her chid that's growing inside her. It's nature. Women have legal opportunities to end her Childs life but that's the extent of it. It's dine but it will never be her right.
No it is not the extent of it. Women who choose to abort have the legal right to safe access the same as you or I have to any other medical/surgical procedure. If the procedure is morally wrong to you and you would never have an abortion it doesn't give you the moral right to make the safe access unavailable to those who will have an abortion.
We are created by a sexual act. It doesn't matter if by intercourse or masturbation lol. Somebody somewhere did either one. You make it sound so miraculous that there are any babies being conceived at all.

Location hidden

#316060 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Where I grew up orphanages were called receiving homes (just a bit of trivia).
For every issue one has to dig and dig through many layers to get to the root cause(s) and then in doing so perhaps solve the problem by addressing that root cause.
Adoption won't solve the problem. Making abortion illegal won't solve the problem. Forcing women to look at ultrasounds won't solve the problem.
The fact is, no issue stands on its own. For every abortion there is a poverty stricken single mom who had her baby, or there is an abandoned baby/child. For every single mom there is a bad decision, or a runaway father, or a dead father, etc. For every condom passed out in schools there is still a teen walking around thinking "a pregnancy won't happen to me...".
And there are plenty of great parents who ended up with a pregnant teen or a boy who became a teen father.
We will never, ever eradicate abortion OR unwanted children. Yes, parents need to teach, teach, teach their children AND set an example. People need to stop making welfare a generational thing, and boys/men need to be held just as accountable for their actions. Young girls MUST learn that getting pregnant is NOT cool. And drugs? If people can't see what a problem drugs are in this society then they're just ignorant...I'm sorry, but they are, and there is way too much drug dependency going on. And way too much enabling and justifying.
And birth control must be accepted, available, affordable, improved upon, and encouraged.
Great post LNM.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,497,257
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Mother Knows Best 10,983
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 hr ResidentPhartx 32,756
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Tue TrumpsPhartsx 99
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Tue waaasssuuup 258,484
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 15 Jhuerta 287
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web