Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310175 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ink

Levittown, PA

#315737 Nov 14, 2013
katie wrote:
<quoted text>
All you did was repost the excerpt I initially left for you plus a little more. I told you twice, if you'd bothered to read the entire article, you'd know where the author of the book got her information. That it was from court papers and other documents.
Here is what the article states in the third paragraph regarding the book author's facts. Why you weren't able to find this yourself is a mystery. I post links so you can read them when time permits.
"Some of the story of illegal abortion has been told by other historians: Linda Gordon, Rickie Solinger, James C. Mohr. But Reagan, who is an assistant professor of history, medicine, and women's studies at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is the first to span the whole period of criminalization and to cover the subject in such depth. Moving skillfully between a nationwide perspective and a detailed study of Chicago, Reagan draws on a wide variety of primary documents, many never before examined. Using patient records, transcripts of trials and inquests into abortion-related deaths, medical-society proceedings, and reports in the popular press, she reconstructs the complex, shifting network of arrangements and understandings that enabled illegal abortion to persist, and sometimes even to flourish, for more than a hundred years. In doing so she not only brilliantly illuminates a hitherto shadowy aspect of American life but also raises crucial questions about the relationship between official mores and the values by which people -- including the promulgators of those official mores -- make the decisions that shape their lives."
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/9...
That paragraph in no ways supports the estimate of 2,000,000 abortions by observers. Sorry but you are reading something into this that isn't there.
Ink

Levittown, PA

#315738 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text>Ocean's logic is,if you don't want a child,use birth control but if you do conceive one,kill it if you choose.
She visits Susan Smith in prison every year. They have a like mindset. They discuss the joys of "choice" or being "CF"(which means CHILD-FREE just in case you didn't see Oceans 4,000 post describing it).
Oh yes I have seen the litany. I could go toe to toe with her for the benefits of having children but there would be no purpose. So I ignore it.
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#315739 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I do. Most of my kids weren't conceived at convenient times but I didn't kill them. I adjusted and welcomed them into my life and am I ever glad I did. I could have used many of those excuses.
Good point. I think that goes with alot of couples. Seems like many are waiting for more money,bigger homes,better financial situations to happen before adding to their families. Is there really ever a "perfect" timing,ya know?

The only time that I had to make SURE I didn't get pregnant,was a very few specific times. Naturally,what we can't have,we want more but my husband and I knew we had to remain abstinent for a short time.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#315740 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The results, being a dead fetus is the issue.
No, it's not. We were discussing how you were using the word "convenient". The REASONS were the issue, not the result.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#315741 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text>I will bet my life that you don't give a flying fig as to the reasons behind ANYONES choice for killing a born humans life.
It's "okay" for you to be arrogant in those cases. Their decisions aren't even worthy of being disussed or categorized. You'd be the first to lock em up and throw away the key.
Even if it was a young mom who killed her seconds old newborn and dumped them in a garbage.
Now,.....give me some lame excuse as to why you like to not compare the humans in the womb to the humans born who are seconds old.
You'd lost that bet. Good thing you won't ever have to pay up, huh?

It's not a question of "like". They don't compare, for a number of reasons.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#315742 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you ask such a stupid question unless you thought he should seek a divorce from an aborting wife?
Answer it, and you'll find out why I asked.
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#315743 Nov 14, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Of course. As Bitner, quite correctly, pointed out, there are herbs which have been used as abortifacients, for nearly as long as pregnancy has been a 'thing'...and they were around for millions of years before humans were around to use them.
Why don't you believe this? It's well documented, and even the Bible speaks of 'bitter water' which is a reference to an herbally-induced abortion.
A fact which you routinely ignore, when asked where the Bible specifically mentions abortion....because there's no punishment attached to it, probably.
The verse which you misquote in numbers 5, says no such thing about abortion NOR about a woman possibly being pregnant. What it is referring to is making the woman barren.

But,yes,abortificants have been around for a long,long time I suspect. Is there a point to this? Rape,murder,abuse,neglect,chea ting,etc..has been also.

So?
Ink

Levittown, PA

#315744 Nov 14, 2013
katie wrote:
<quoted text>
It is inaccurate, I have miscarried. While the emotions are under the umbrella of what we call grief, the difference between losing an embryo/fetus and losing a child is this: One was but a dream, the other a reality. Ask any parent who's lost a born and known child.
Empathy and sympathy are not the same. If you need to ask why anyone needs it, you might be incapable of giving it.
I know the difference and can relate on both emotions.

It is obvious that you would mourn more for the child you knew the longest but just because you don't mourn for the one you never saw doesn't mean his death was any less tragic. We are all equal even if some of us don't mean much to someone else.
katie

Seattle, WA

#315745 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text>It would only make sense to mourn a child moreso that you've known(who probably died accidently or violently or was ill) vs one that was just conceived and naturally died.
Some people equate the embryo/fetus to a newborn and that's what I addressing. There's hope for you yet if you do not make such a comparison.
I can't image that someone who supports abortion or has had one to feel much of anything for her unborn child. There HAS to be a block there(of her emotions)in order to continue this evil game.
Why would you assume/presume such a thing? Especially if, as you claim, you've had no personal experience losing your pregnancy prior to term (whether induced or spontaneous).

Why do you refer to women's civil rights of bodily autonomy and personal privacy as an "evil game"? Is it a game to you? It's not to me. Evil or otherwise.
It's like when you were on here defending abortion,dehumanizing the humans in the womb,ALL while your daughter was gestating your Granddaughter. That was a whole new low for you. Chicky did that as well.
Why are you making such outlandish claims about me? You're mistaken, flat out wrong even. I don't "defend abortion". I don't "dehumanize humans in the womb". Neither did Chicky, but I can't speak for her.

My daughter's pregnancy is none of your business. Nothing beyond what I chose to share with this thread is any of your business. And just look what it got me. Nothing but grief. But you call yourself prolife? Have you any of that shame left for yourself? Or are you too busy trying to fling it onto others?
I Bet BOTH of you found out the sex of your Grandchild,saw pics via ultrasound,started to buy baby girls clothes,rubbed your daughters bellys to get a feel of your little baby granddaughters first movements and all...
My daughter carried a wanted/healthy pregnancy. And what's it to you? Her stepmom was a cold, callous b*tch when DD's dad was dying during that pregnancy. You are no different than she, imo. You wear a cute, giggly mask, but that's all it is. You are incapable of caring for others; especially those facing unwanted/unhealthy pregnancy.
It made me sick AND sad for your family who've been bought up by such hate.
There's no hate here. I protect me and mine from the hatred of people like you and that horrible stepmom my girls were lucky enough not to see on a consistent basis.
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#315746 Nov 14, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Not here. Another poster posed the question on a different forum, and the one answer offered (by only one person) was that the IVF embryos weren't as human because they weren't in a woman.
It was then suggested that wombs are just more fun to control, than petri dishes.
Oh,don't listen to Elise. We in fact have discussed this topic of IVF many times over. Don't know why you think that we haven't. Seems like you are in disguise and know alot of history here among older posters. Sshhh..it's okay.You're secret is good with me.

Please allow me to recap;

abortion is electively killing a humans life before birth whether done by the ones providing IVF or in clinics or by mom taking herbs.

End of discussion.
Ink

Levittown, PA

#315747 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> Good point. I think that goes with alot of couples. Seems like many are waiting for more money,bigger homes,better financial situations to happen before adding to their families. Is there really ever a "perfect" timing,ya know?
Many times when they finally get ready, their body says nope, you are too old. Then they spend thousands of dollars trying to get something God would have given them anytime.
sassyjm

Lake Grove, NY

#315748 Nov 14, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Casual? Really?
You have a pretty low opinion of women in crisis....unless, of course, they decide to gestate rather than abort.
Abortion is not a mani-pedi appointment...you make it sound like pregnant women everywhere just wake up one morning, with the attitude "Oh, let's see, what to do today...think I'll take a stroll down to that clinic and get me some abortion. Yeah that sounds like fun..."
You're an idiot.
Proabortion women dehumanize the unborn child. They call it a parasite,not a child,a blob of cells,etc...yet...you seem to think that it is nothing comparable to a mani-pedi appointment. WHY not? What's the big deal?

Heck,it was even compared to having a tooth pulled or mole removed. No biggie.

Why the "trauma" involved in the decision? Why do the proaborts get their feelings hurt if their previous abortion is brought up?

What's with the contradictions?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#315749 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text>The verse which you misquote in numbers 5, says no such thing about abortion NOR about a woman possibly being pregnant. What it is referring to is making the woman barren.
But,yes,abortificants have been around for a long,long time I suspect. Is there a point to this? Rape,murder,abuse,neglect,chea ting,etc..has been also.
So?
The point was that your witless friend, Ink, was posting as though abortion was something new in the world.
katie

Seattle, WA

#315750 Nov 14, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you. I would imagine putting up your child for adoption must be pretty tough. Rose did it. I am sure it broke her heart. She did it out of love. God has reunited her with him and what a beautiful,happy ending. She met her grands too :)
Some(way back then especially,as well as today)give the child up against their will or wants. They are forced kinda. THAT is very sad indeed.
Let's rewind back. SEX EQUALS PREGNANCY. We MUST take responsibility for our actions. Sure,we all love the great feeling of sex,but let's face it,it comes with a price tag. Let's bring everything into this discussion. Drinking,recreational drugs,prescription pills,being married and getting to flirty with someone at work,not taking care of our health,etc.....equals CONSEQUENCES. We MUST think twice before we act.
""""" """"" """"" What gets me about AC is how they accuse us of dehumanizing the embryo/fetus - I don't -"""" """"" """"" """"" ""
You support killing them as choice. THAT is not dehumanizing them?
Your granddaughter was alive,growing and developing and you were here fighting for the right to have her killed as choice.
Hello? Is anyone home here?
Do you think women in the real world with unwanted/unhealthy pregnancies are not thinking twice? Three or four times? Do you think they blithely consider terminating their pregnancies as if they were deciding what movie to see or what kind of food to eat?

To you, women only have one choice -- sex with their husbands while being open to conception. Why are you so hateful toward women facing unwanted/unhealthy pregnancy? And why waste time pretending they should've done something prior to getting pregnant when they're *already* pregnant?
Ink

Levittown, PA

#315751 Nov 14, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was that your witless friend, Ink, was posting as though abortion was something new in the world.
Well try and make a valid point instead of misquoting the Bible that you are so familiar with.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#315752 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
It is obvious that you would mourn more for the child you knew the longest but just because you don't mourn for the one you never saw doesn't mean his death was any less tragic. We are all equal even if some of us don't mean much to someone else.
Your original point was about the feelings of the woman who miscarries. And now you're dismissing the feelings of one of them just because they don't help to make your argument work. Typical.
katie

Seattle, WA

#315753 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That paragraph in no ways supports the estimate of 2,000,000 abortions by observers. Sorry but you are reading something into this that isn't there.
Um, Ink? Do you really need to be told that you now have the list of names of other historians who've written on the history of abortion in this country, a listing of various documents the author used (am sure the book itself would have a bibliography you could examine), and a nudge toward public court documents you could begin researching at your local library.

If you're looking for some polling place during the Victorian era that corroborates the number of an estimated 2M illegal abortions performed, I doubt you'll find it. Why you expect me to is also a mystery. Why are you asking me to vouch for that number anyway? You think I have all the time in the world to peruse the author's bibliography and check out her sources one by one? I highly doubt the claim is an outright lie. It's an estimate. One you obviously don't like.
Ink

Levittown, PA

#315754 Nov 14, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Your original point was about the feelings of the woman who miscarries. And now you're dismissing the feelings of one of them just because they don't help to make your argument work. Typical.
I was only responding to the poster and her feelings which are very understandable. My points have always been about intentional abortion not miscarriage.

So why do you think a man should divorce a wife who has abortions?

Remember you asked me why he didn't divorce her as though she had done something wrong.
katie

Seattle, WA

#315755 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the death of an embryo/fetus as tragic as the death of a born, known child, in your opinion, Ink? Because what I've been saying all along is while lost embryos/fetuses are grieved, it is no way the same kind of grief one experiences when losing a born, known child. One was just a dream, the other a reality.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#315756 Nov 14, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I was only responding to the poster and her feelings which are very understandable. My points have always been about intentional abortion not miscarriage.
So why do you think a man should divorce a wife who has abortions?
Remember you asked me why he didn't divorce her as though she had done something wrong.
I didn't say he should. I asked you, in response to you saying he had "no say" what was stopping him from divorcing her. Is there some reason you can't answer the question?

Again, answer the question, and you will find out why I asked it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min shinningelectr0n 1,250,976
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min polymath257 243,263
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 1 hr Whatajoke 1,637
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Fair Game 6,234
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) 11 hr Fartman 24
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Tue KeS 201,822
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jun 29 tom wingo 29,826
More from around the web