Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 314712 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#315484 Nov 11, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my stars...Greek Orthodox...there's a church in my neighborhood I've been wanting to visit in a capacity other than 'polling place'.
(!)
St. Anthony's is a Greek Orthodox church, which lays claim to the distinction of being the only church I've considered attending since I attained the age of reason, and left organized religion flat.
You should check out Sunday services. And Good Friday service is amazing. Most Greek parishes have pretty good choirs and the music is gorgeous. The service is old world and very beautiful. I liked being Greek Orthodox, but it requires a belief in God...pesky technicality. Plenty of church members are agnostics, I'm sure, but I'm a purist. Lol.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#315485 Nov 11, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>You should check out Sunday services. And Good Friday service is amazing. Most Greek parishes have pretty good choirs and the music is gorgeous. The service is old world and very beautiful. I liked being Greek Orthodox, but it requires a belief in God...pesky technicality. Plenty of church members are agnostics, I'm sure, but I'm a purist. Lol.
My Kingdom Come (Lyrics)
With the beast inside,
there is no where to hide.
Gtown71

United States

#315486 Nov 11, 2013
godless by choice wrote:
"Gtown71"
Sounds like I was born again,
what? two belly buttons?
No, just the one.
First one was my flesh birth, and the secound my spiritual birth.

Born once -die twice.
Born twice die once.

First birth is flesh, and the secound in spiritual.
first dead is flesh, and the second is spiritual.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#315487 Nov 11, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay it's a human fetus. One of us just waiting to be born.
It's a physical shell, alive but without Spirit, a blank slate.
Gtown71

United States

#315488 Nov 11, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, so only Jesus got to choose, not the rest of us. Nobody else gets that privilege.
He could've chose not to die for us.
as far as having evil done toward us, well it depends, if someone gets the jump on you, or has a weapon, then not much one can do, but as far as where we spend eternity, then yes we get to choose.

All have sinned, some waaaay worse than others, but all means all.
life isn't fair, but all things will be made right one day.

Fear not what "man" can do unto you, since killing you is as far as they can go, but rather fear Him who has the power to kill the body, and cast the soul into Hell.

He will take care of the rest.
Gtown71

United States

#315489 Nov 11, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good afternoon "Gtown."
You certainly have passion, and your conviction is quite evident in the way you express your "becoming saved."
You can of course ask, "Where did God come from?" but that would be an exercise in futility; those whose convictions are as great as yours can't provide an answer and clearly don't require one...they rely on faith. Those who don't believe as you do can't answer because there is no definitive evidence for the existence of such a being and, as such, they may take this lack of evidence as "proof" of God's nonexistence.
Admittedly, I do not believe in the concept of God as you do. The Abrahamic God of Judaism, Christianity and Islam is not a deity that I subscribe to. However what I find especially fascinating about these three religions is that they're able to simultaneously bring out the best and the worst in those who adhere to them. Granted, it can be argued that this is the case with all religions; anything that ignites such passion in people is bound to unleash those passions from time to time.
I can, however, give you a brief explanation of how the sun works. It, like all stars, requires a balance between its internal forces called hydrostatic equilibrium. One force, which holds the sun together, comes from its own gravity. The second, which prevents it from collapsing, comes from the rapid motion of its atoms which creates pressure. The sun generates its energy by converting hydrogen into helium via a process called nuclear fusion in which two or more nuclei are bonded into a single, heavier one. This process happens in the sun's core because of its extremely high temperature.
As you can tell I was, at one time, rather interested in astronomy. Still am for that matter, which is why I tend to groan inwardly when Biblical Literalists--and I know you happen to be one--state straight-faced that the universe is only a few thousand years old. Folks who hold steadfastly to such don't take into account that it flies in the face of where we find ourselves today via our scientific knowledge. Such a belief effectively negates the sciences of astronomy, chemistry, geology, archaeology, paleontology, evolutionary biology. This is not to say that I haven't met people who dedicate themselves to scientific research and who happen to be deeply religious--I have. They usually tend to take the Book of Genesis more allegorically than literally.
^^^^THIS^^^^ is why I say you're way smarter than me.:)

Just in a quick statement John. I was a guy who didn't believe in God, nor did I care. At the age of 29 I did find my life in a mess, but many if not most go through messes.

All I can say is that something woke me up at 1:30 am, and I just knew it was God, and I referred to this thing as God. No other names. After I finally yeilded and simply said ok. Ok God but You're going to have to help me!

The very next day as I woke up I had been changed.

I went from cursing like a sailor to it bothering me to say the smallest words.
All bad things I used to love -I now hated.

After a week or so I began to have a deep desire to read the bible and attend church.

As I read the Bible for hours upon hours it was like a dry sponge soaking up water. I simply could not get enough!

Before I didn't want any!

All that happened to me points to Jesus Christ. That's it.
Gtown71

United States

#315490 Nov 11, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic doctrine of the Incarnation,
Passion, Death and Resurrection of our
Lord Jesus Christ; and the personal union
of the two Natures, the divine Maternity of
the most holy Mary, together with her most
spotless Virginity;
Mary was only a virgin before Christ was born.
Mary found favor in the eyes of God, but mary was a sinner like any. Sin is passed through the man, and the "man" in this picture was without Sin.
She went on to have other kids, so she was no longer a virgin.

What made mary holy? She was saved by the same Guy I was. It just so happened that Guy was her Son.

As far as the cookie you speak of? Well I'll leave that alone.:)

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#315491 Nov 11, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>You should check out Sunday services. And Good Friday service is amazing. Most Greek parishes have pretty good choirs and the music is gorgeous. The service is old world and very beautiful. I liked being Greek Orthodox, but it requires a belief in God...pesky technicality. Plenty of church members are agnostics, I'm sure, but I'm a purist. Lol.
I'm going tomorrow. It's election day. The Greek Orthodox Church on 6th street is my polling place, and tomorrow is election day.

I'd love to get in on some home made baklava, and this is the best way I can think of to learn again.

(My mother hired a Lebanese lady to make baklava one year, and you could read a cheap newspaper through the sheets of philo on her 8 foot dining room table. It was freakin' amazing to watch.

That sort of dedication I can relate to.
Gtown71

United States

#315492 Nov 11, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pete!" What's happenin' dude?
You know what's an eerie bit of synchronicity here?
I was actually thinking of that film from the 1990's "The Rapture" staring Mimi Rogers, and there's a line in it where she meets one of her earlier "screws" after she's been "saved" and he says to her, "You're just another addict. Instead of doing heroin, you're doing God."
I could agree with that, but John have you ever met an addict, who was hooked on anything they had not yet tasted or known?

People who know not God, have no real desire for God.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#315493 Nov 12, 2013
Hey!

Religious conversion is a pretty inexpensive form of self-me4ication, and it still lets you ignore your core problems by concerning yourself with others`. As a bonus, your new celestial buddy forgives you for everything you previously did, so you don't have to actually resolve your issues.

I've never seen that movie; I may have to check it out.
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pete!" What's happenin' dude?
You know what's an eerie bit of synchronicity here?
I was actually thinking of that film from the 1990's "The Rapture" staring Mimi Rogers, and there's a line in it where she meets one of her earlier "screws" after she's been "saved" and he says to her, "You're just another addict. Instead of doing heroin, you're doing God."
Gtown71

United States

#315495 Nov 12, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Hey!
Religious conversion is a pretty inexpensive form of self-me4ication, and it still lets you ignore your core problems by concerning yourself with others`. As a bonus, your new celestial buddy forgives you for everything you previously did, so you don't have to actually resolve your issues.
I've never seen that movie; I may have to check it out.
<quoted text>
I agree that religion can do that to folks, but God and religion are two different things.

God forgives your past, present, and future Sin.
God just forgives period!:)

Forgiveness is great, but having a personal relationship with God, is what most lack.

Those who know God, and have been saved by His grace WILL still sin, even though they don't look at sin the way they once did, and they WILL pay the consequences for those sins here on earth.

Those who don't know God, and are not saved may get away with lots of sins here on earth, but they will pay for their Sin if they die lost.

sin (small s) effects us all
Sin (big S) only effects those who know not God.

There will be two judgements.
Judgement seat of Christ, is where all the saved goes, before they enter heaven. There works as a christian are judged, which some works will stand, and some will burn up, since many do stuff that's of their own flesh, not what God wanted. These folks will not have their SIN (Big S) judged. That has already been settled.

White throne judgment, is where all the lost and damned will go, to have their SIN judged, since it was not settled before hand.

Look at it this way. You or I am wrong.
What if I'm wrong?
What if you're wrong?

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#315496 Nov 12, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
He could've chose not to die for us.
as far as having evil done toward us, well it depends, if someone gets the jump on you, or has a weapon, then not much one can do, but as far as where we spend eternity, then yes we get to choose.
All have sinned, some waaaay worse than others, but all means all.
life isn't fair, but all things will be made right one day.
Fear not what "man" can do unto you, since killing you is as far as they can go, but rather fear Him who has the power to kill the body, and cast the soul into Hell.
He will take care of the rest.
Mr. G, doesn't that render moot the whole "free will" philosophy?

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#315497 Nov 12, 2013
Oh...and good morning.

Gtown, what do you think of the obscenity that has become Christmas? A friend of mine says we should just call it "Retail Day". Cancel all other holidays, just celebrate "Retail Day", and the whole year can be dedicated to Retail Day shopping.

Even as an atheist I'm horrified at the complete bastardization of a holiday that at the very least is a good day of rest and relaxation with friends and family.

I am so disgusted at this new practice of opening stores on Thanksgiving evening.
Ocean56

AOL

#315498 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
"Just because someone wronged you in life doesn't mean that the rest of us married couples give up our "freedom" or become a "guys UNPAID housekeeper". We as married couples become ONE. We still maintain our individuality but we do things as a couple. When we become moms, our priorities shift but it doesn't mean that we lose our identity. In fact, in a marriage, that love grows."

Oh PLEASE. Nobody wronged me at all, despite your idiotic claims to the contrary. Youíre just pissed that Iím not buying the rosy picture of ďtraditional marriage/motherhoodĒ you keep trying to sell. Too bad.

To me, the whole faith-based traditional marriage package is the very definition of misery for a woman, which is why Iíd never enter into such a toxic marital arrangement. I would rather spend the rest of my days as a single, free, independent woman enjoying life than spend one minute as a ďtraditional housewifeĒ of the 1950ís-1960ís and hating every second of domestic servitude. Obviously you have a big problem with anyone who criticizes ďtraditional marriage.Ē Tough.
Gtown71

United States

#315499 Nov 12, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
Oh...and good morning.
Gtown, what do you think of the obscenity that has become Christmas? A friend of mine says we should just call it "Retail Day". Cancel all other holidays, just celebrate "Retail Day", and the whole year can be dedicated to Retail Day shopping.
Even as an atheist I'm horrified at the complete bastardization of a holiday that at the very least is a good day of rest and relaxation with friends and family.
I am so disgusted at this new practice of opening stores on Thanksgiving evening.
I agree with all the christmas mess.

They now put out christmas decorations with Halloween decorations.

I remember when nothing was open for a day or so, but now you're right, a lot of stores are open Thanksgiving night, with sales starting at midnight.

I would say very few people even have a clue what they celebrate.

Another one of man's traditions.

People do have free will, as to what they believe, but when one is truly saved, thank God they are saved from themselves.

I've been my biggest problem in life.

Many scream about leaving christ in christmas, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's hard to change a persons core values.
if not impossible.

Kinda funny how much time we spend trying to change others, when we cannot even change ourselves.:)

Happy Holidays. Lol
Ocean56

AOL

#315500 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
Your opinion is irrelevent. Can't you disagree with someone without calling them liars? She is mocking God/Christ. She does it constantly. She is angry as are you.

Bottom line,someone might disagree with God/Christ or be confused,but they don't need to exhibit such disrespect and intolerance towards another beliefs.

I hate to break it to you, sASSy (not really), but no religious beliefs are protected from
verbal criticism or even ridicule. Which means a person can ďmock God/ChristĒ as much as that person wants to. Whether YOU approve of that posterís words or not is irrelevant.

The one who comes across as angry here is YOU, because you canít deal with the fact that no one has to kiss your...um...ring because you have religious views. Again, too bad.
Ocean56

AOL

#315501 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
Nobody is shocked to hear that people like you have rejected God. Jesus walked the earth,ate with his friends,performed miracles for them,and they still rejected him at the end of the day.
What I do think is sad is people like you who blame God for your hurts from other people. It's typical and predictable. It's like people embrace their free-will choices,but don't care about the consequences that evil or just bad choices create. THEN,they blame God when all hell breaks loose. That's not fair.

Also,what I find sad is when people like you or,aged or Bitler(etc)reject God/the RCC/etc.. when they didn't truly understand it. They were misled or just brought up with a wishy wash version(if that)of it. Then,when none of it makes sense,they reject it. Can't say that I blame them at that point. I've seen ALOT of that scenerio. It's tragic really.

Ah, the standard nonsense from militant religionists who canít accept the fact that people CAN reject the toxic baggage of gods, religions and churches and arenít civilly or criminally penalized for doing so. Why am I not surprised. Iíve read and heard it so many times from people like you that I lost count ages ago.

By the way, I understand the RCC and its oppressive position against women all too well; thatís why I rejected it. As far as IíM concerned, any religion or church that forbids all forms of reliable contraception even to PREVENT unwanted pregnancy is most certainly treating women as second-class citizens and mindless baby factories. IMO such a church doesnít deserve respect. It deserves nothing but contempt, which is all the RCC and other such churches will ever get from me. Itís wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she isnít mentally chained by a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
Ocean56

AOL

#315502 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
Do me a favor and stop speaking for ALL women. Normal,sane,moral women don't have a thought in their mind regarding killing their child. Pro-abort women decide if their child is worthy of life or death at their hands but PLEASE don't lump us together. It's insulting.

No one here has to do YOU any favors, sASSy. Youíre just not that important. FTR I donít
consider you to be ďnormal, sane, or normalĒ either.
Ocean56

AOL

#315503 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
Abortion is not a "right" that is based personal belief no matter how much you like to think that it is. It(the human life inside of you)is NOT you. It is your offspring. You may be a control freak who likes to victimize your child in or out of the womb,sorely based on the fact that you have power of that vulnerable child. That's not your "right" based on your personal belief. It's a selfish *act*,a crime against humanity. Some other selfish control freak(s) made the act legal but it is what it is. You're discriminating against your own child based on his/her temporary location.

Abortion IS a right for any woman who decides she doesnít want to be pregnant sASSy, no matter how many times you claim otherwise. Although the Republican anti-choice politicians in states like Texas, Kansas, New Mexico and others are pushing through draconian legislation that make it even harder on women to get access to abortion or even contraception.

IMO you are an anti-choice control freak who wants to take away a womanís basic right to decide for HERSELF whether or not she wants to continue a pregnancy, simply because YOU donít like the fact that some women donít want to be pregnant. Despite the anti-choice crowdís repeated efforts to guilt women into believing your ďabortion is murderĒ ideology, prochoice women and men still arenít buying it. And I really think THAT makes you angry, the fact that you canít force your personal beliefs onto all women by making those beliefs into law. Good.
Ocean56

AOL

#315506 Nov 12, 2013
SassyJM wrote:
Iíve actually have read a few. It's sad. It's a tragedy that women are faced with such anti-human tactics because they can't be bothered mothering their child or adopting him/her out.

The worst are the young girls who are coerced/forced by parents to abort or by a bf when they are so scared,desperate and vulnerable. I feel so sorry that nobody cares about her. They are the saddest stories to hear about ESPECIALLY in person.

Yeah, right.@@ I think whatís really sad for you is knowing there are girls and women whose only regret is that they GOT pregnant in the first place. They are just profoundly relieved that they donít have to gestate a pregnancy they didnít want to begin with. You are aware that ALL contraceptive methods can and DO fail sometimes, arenít you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Earl 1,548,988
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr TooPharts 33,190
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jun 13 Patriot 11,181
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun 9 Evidence phart 9
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) May 29 Into The Night 258,476
Penn State University & State College May '17 Truechange 1
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
More from around the web