Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Comments (Page 14,731)

Showing posts 294,601 - 294,620 of303,199
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> You sound like a woman scorned. The consensus of pro-abortion women is that marriage and motherhood is a prison sentence where within the woman is victimized. I don't view marriage or motherhood like that. God intended man to leave his mother and father and clings to his wife. THEY become ONE. With that said,we are one body. Your negative experiences has tanished such a beautiful union. Motherhood is the extension of that beautiful,loving bond.
Interesting, I sound like a woman scorned by posting demeaning biblical passages pertaining to women? Gee, and I only posted a few when there are SO many.

Well I guess I am making some progress at least you recognize the “scorn” in the passages.

The consensus of the pro choice women and men is that the bible and those that wish to enforce it make women a slave in marriage and recognize without a doubt that the bible encourages victimization of women.

Apparently god intended for man to leave his parents and rule over a wife according to a number of scriptures.

How you view marriage and the treatment of women within the book you profess appear to be two different scenarios.

I have not had any negative experiences, you are simply projecting. I have been married for over 30 years and there is no ONE ruler in our house. There is a partnership of equals. I have enjoyed my life, I have worked and accomplished much on top of being a mother, I am an individual with the same rights as a man. My daughter is a source of pride. She has never been subjected to religion that deems her second class, nor does she have time for such nonsense. We brought her up quite well.

I do not need a book written by men telling me that I must be subservient or submissive, and that I am to be ruled over by a man as though I am a child. I am sorry that you find those things acceptable, women have moved on and have a healthy dose of self-respect, self-interest and
self-concern as they should.

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> Oh boy!
Listen,I am truly sorry that many women feel used and abused like you describe. But,I gotta say,today,women ADD to this. Let me explain. I hear women(you and some others on here..cough..cough...OCEAN56.. .)degrade the role of homemaker and motherhood as "if" it is a pathetic and unworthy position in life. If we care for others on the outside(jobs where we attend to,care for,nurse,service,etc..)then we are considered "employeed with honor". If we take on the job at our own home,with our own children and families,we are prisoners some how.
Wake up lady. Charity begins at home. Stand proud. Hold you head high. Understand the true value and honor that it is to be a mother and caretaker of our homes and you will THEN lead the mislead pack to a very serene,honorable place.
No job is stress free or without it's tiring moments. Get a grip on reality. Don't take your insecurities out on motherhood/being a wife.
You wanna leave it all behind in such of a "worthy" lot in life(work outside the home),then be prepared to do doubletime work. If you have kids,THEY come first. You want to put them last,then you will have no joy in your life and your priorities will distort who YOU really are and what YOUR place in life is really about. Sorry to be so harsh.
You are confused. We are not degrading the role of homemaker and motherhood. The bible degrades it. The bible reduces it to subservience, submissiveness and the need to have a man rule over the wife as though she were a child. It gives it no value but that of a slave.

Who and what we really are is a matter of individuality, it is not up to you or anyone else to determine that for another. You are the one who sounds bitter towards women who choose to be individuals and life life to the fullest. In fact you are intimidated by women who step out of a role issued to them by male hierarchy religions.
Gtown71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that the bible can be reinterpreted to produce such an outcome? That would be a difficult task since the bible was written by men as the foundation of male hierarchy and maltreatment of women as his pet/slave/whore.
I have witnessed and read enough history to understand the so called "order" proposed by the bible.
Yes, thankfully women CAN do as they please within or without marriage as she is an individual and not a pet/slave/whore thanks to women stepping up and taken their rightful place as the producers of the human race.
I am married and have been for over 30 years. We have a partnership and we are both the heads of the house. One does not rule over the other.
I never said women were garbage, I was referring to the bible as being such.
Who sinned first in mythical story? The ridiculous HE-MAN Childish male god who decided to play a game with a tree and an apple.
Why the verses concern me so much? Think about it genius, they have been the force behind the maltreatment of women for ages. I would have thought you could have figured that out. Obviously you are a man and this doesn't concern you.
Yes I'm a man, and have been a great husband, and other times I've been a horrible husband.

I've changed diapers, cleaned clothes, cooked, washed dishes, and other times I've not done those things, and took my wife for granted.

There should be some type of order, in anything.

When things have order, they run much better.
When they don't,they don't.

You and ocean just seem to be upset, becouse many men in the past have used the Bible to justify their bad actions.

Had the Bible reversed the man and woman's role, I believe many women would've done the same thing.

Many who cry equality, truly just want to run the show.

No matter what saith the Lord, people still do as they please.
That's the whole reason He sent His son.

I'm just thankful I don't get what I deserve.

Most wouldn't want what they deserved if they only knew.
Gtown71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excellent point. Nobody seems willing to say that we simply don't know and have no way to get all the facts.
Well lady, if it helps I will tell you, that I don't "know" if the flood took place. I don't "know" if any Bible thing happened, since I wasn't there.

I believe by faith that it did.

There were many accounts of a Flood, but again who knows??

I didn't know nor care about anything of God.

I now do,and "believe" He saved me, just like the Bible says.

Better?

I believe if someone truly wants to know about God, they can seek Him, and other then that all I can do is tell my beliefs.

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
You and ocean just seem to be upset, becouse many men in the past have used the Bible to justify their bad actions.
Excuse Ocean and I....and a good many other women on this thread for recognizing the FACT that male hierarchy religions have been used in the maltreatment, abuse, rape, burnings, enslavement, beating, killing, and discrimination of women throughout history. I consider the goal to control women's reproductive lives another product of male hierarchy religion, just another stone in our path.

Gee, why would we be upset? I am surprised you did not say "hysterical", isn't that what the boys use when women stand up and recognize mistreatment or don't accept mistreatment?
Gtown71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that Paul was part of a Godly religion to begin with. He joined forces with some who where not "of God",therefore,displaying unGodly behavior. Was his belonging to this group intentionally meant to be anti-God/Christ? Who knows. Only God know,I suppose.
"BY THE FRUITS YOU WILL KNOW THEM"
When Paul had his conversion,he indeed followed him religiously(he became a Christian. He then belonged to Christs church here on earth. What he became intolerant about was unGodly religions where they didn't obey the teachings of God/Christ...hence,his making of so many enemies,..as well as followers :)
Paul was clearly not of God.
He was just very religious. "Thinking " he was doing Gods work.

After meeting God, and realizing how far he was off on the whole God thing, he made one of my favorite statements,when he listed all of the "great " things he had been, and done, and then turned around and said he counted it all dung.

He then said he only knows Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

He may, like many today, have known a lot of scripture, but really changed when he met the Arthur.:)

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I'm a man, and have been a great husband, and other times I've been a horrible husband.
I've changed diapers, cleaned clothes, cooked, washed dishes, and other times I've not done those things, and took my wife for granted.
There should be some type of order, in anything.
When things have order, they run much better.
When they don't,they don't.
Had the Bible reversed the man and woman's role, I believe many women would've done the same thing.
No matter what saith the Lord, people still do as they please.
That's the whole reason He sent His son.
I'm just thankful I don't get what I deserve.
Most wouldn't want what they deserved if they only knew.
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
The same what?
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, many (women) just want equality they have grown weary of double standards they would simply like to live their life to the fullest. YOU are the one who seems hung up on running the show. I imagine you feel entitled.

I asked you a question earlier since you were interpreting scripture for me. What purpose does this serve?:

1 Corinthians 11:5-15
New International Version (NIV)
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

VoteVets Org wrote:
<quoted text>
What.....it wasn't the same institution back in the 70's ? It had a different position on abortion and women's reproductive rights ?
There were no instances of priest abuse and church cover-up ?
The fact is there were most likely many more cases than there are today.
And even if I believed your lie about the scholarship, which I don't for a second, scholarships still represent real money. Money was paid to that institution in your name. And the fact the college said nothing about a woman's pregnancy doesn't change the fact that the money still went to the Catholic Church.
Spin it any way you like. It still spells hypocritical phony.
What does it matter if there are cover ups, lies, abortions,
murders, pregnancies?
Tower of Babel?
Priest abuse us just like the media.
We listen to their lectures like teachers.
They never practice what they preach.
The church should feed the children.
Their money is theirs. They are worthless.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
<quoted text> Why is it "great" that he saw abortion in a totally different light that lead to his change?
Well we don't know that he actually did Sassy. That reporter you linked to and was giving the interview was not the reporter that had a change of heart. Mullane is a pro life columnist. I have to question the validity since the "pro choice" reporter hasn't actually come forward and spoke for himself. But if he's out there, it's just not that big of deal that he's had a change of heart.
sassyjm wrote:
It was not based on "lack of inspections",AyakaNeo and you know it.
I never said the trial was based on the lack of inspections Sassy, all I said was that perhaps this reporter could have some influence on the lack of inspections. The media can be the Governments worse enemy sometimes. This is supposedly what the other journalist said:“This is the worst on many levels,” he said.“Not only because of what was going on in Gosnell’s clinic in West Philadelphia, but also because of the indifference of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Department of Health, which did not inspect any of the state’s 22 abortion clinics for 17 years.”
So yeah, his change of heart had alot to do with the lack of inspections on Philadelphia abortion providers. But I get you are thinking he's changed his political stance which is his right, but I'm just not seeing that he has.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

<quoted text>
Well, they kind of ended up with the same fate.
They both cultivate similar adoration, post mortem.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I missed your point,and yes I probably am thick headed.:)
The point was that you couldn't have been an atheist before you were saved, because you felt angry at God. You obviously believed in God. Atheist don't feel any emotion toward any god. Gods don't exist, therefore they don't experience the conflict you underwent. I'm glad you found a belief system that helped you to a path of happiness, though. I mean that.
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Dear, Inky. How often do you forget what you write? One day you say something; the next day you can't even remember what you wrote.

try to follow...

----------
Post 314806
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>

You actually said something along the lines of everything that was written about him is true. I don't remember the exact words; I'll have to find the quote later.
Post 314811
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>

No I didn't. Sometimes you read into the posts things that aren't really there.

I do, however believe that he was probably quoted accurately because there is such a similarity. On message, you might say.
----------

Here are your works, Inky - Post 314719
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was in response to the claim that there is no proof of Jesus and it was only Christians who believed the 'myth'. As you and I both said, it is pretty much a given by most respected scholars, that he did indeed walk on the earth and did what is written that he did.
"....it is pretty much a given by most respected scholars, that he did indeed walk on the earth and did what is written that he did."

Here is a link to your post since you likely can't be bothered to research it yourself:
http://www.topix.com/forum/nyc/T833PCEP80MM49...

Let us not pretend that "most respected scholars" support your biblical jesus.
Gtown71

Royal, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The same what?
<quoted text>
No, many (women) just want equality they have grown weary of double standards they would simply like to live their life to the fullest. YOU are the one who seems hung up on running the show. I imagine you feel entitled.
I asked you a question earlier since you were interpreting scripture for me. What purpose does this serve?:
1 Corinthians 11:5-15
New International Version (NIV)
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
Although I've been a sorry excuse for a husband, if you only knew how my wife and little girl gets whatever they want, it may shock you.

I have "friends " who feel the need to let their wives know who's boss, in Jesus name, but I believe if a man is in right step with God, then there is no need to even bring up who is and who's not the head.

Many folks want to be the boss, but don't want the responsibility that comes -with it.

Not bragging, but I've Never once asked, let alone demand my wife cook any meal period!
or clean anything, period!

If she does either, then great!

She's not Martha stewert on any, but that's ok, neither am I.

Goggle your verse, if you want opinions.

My suggestion is for you to find out what your thoughts on God are first.

How did we get here?

Does God exist ?

If God was real, and wanted you to accept Him, would that God have any problem hearing you, if you truly wanted that God to hear you?

What if YOU are wrong?

What if I'm wrong?
What if all you've held onto is wrong?

Why not cut out all the middle "men" and go directly to God?

Jesus had to ask a man who laid near a pool.,if he wanted to be healed "
Many folks today don't truly care about "truth", they just want what they are comfortable in to be accepted by all others :(
Gtown71

Royal, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>The point was that you couldn't have been an atheist before you were saved, because you felt angry at God. You obviously believed in God. Atheist don't feel any emotion toward any god. Gods don't exist, therefore they don't experience the conflict you underwent. I'm glad you found a belief system that helped you to a path of happiness, though. I mean that.
Ok, I claim that I was an atheist, before I was saved,although yes, as a child I was taught about God and how He wanted us to be good. The day I round my father "hero" dead, when I was 9-10 years old I did stop believing in God, after all how could a loving God allow such a situation? Especially since I had tried to be a "good" boy for those few years of my life??

I had a Guy who slapped me EVERYDAY on the school bus, yet I never fought back, becouse I knew it wouldn't make Jesus happy.

After my dad died, the kid almost made it to my seat, before I beat the hell out of him, or as much as a 9-10 year old could.

I went from being a "good" kid, to on probation three times, and state probation twice by the time I was 14 years old.

I didn't care about life, and I know what "religion" can do to a person.

Yet, no matter what has happened to me in this life, or what I've done, to deny that God is real, "regardless of how I feel toward how He does things, or allows things to happen ",it would be lying to myself.

Anywho I'm just very glad you responded to me,and I mean that,with all sincerity!

To me, there are those on this thread, who spew out what they've been taught. No matter, if for / against abortion. For /against God.

Then there are a few, who are what I call "real" and truly want what is real.

Again - I'm probably anything "you" call me, but would like to just thank you :)
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
You sound like a woman scorned. The consensus of pro-abortion women is that marriage and motherhood is a prison sentence where within the woman is victimized. I don't view marriage or motherhood like that.
So? Whether or not YOU see marriage and motherhood "like that" is irrelevant to me. If both marriage and motherhood are AGAINST a woman's will, meaning she was forced or heavily pressured by her family or religious community to both marry and have children when she really didn't WANT to do either, then both marriage AND motherhood is a prison sentence for that particular woman.

Under the so-called "traditional marriage" setup, the husband is basically the wife's BOSS, although I know conservative religionists are very careful to avoid that term. I see absolutely NOTHING good about that kind of marital arrangement, because to me, it WOULD be a prison sentence. So I make sure I avoid it. Any guy who wants to be a woman's BOSS in a marriage is definitely a guy to RUN from.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
Again,women are not victims because you were made to feel inferior or unworthy in your life. Enjoy what you relate "CATHOLIC-FREE" or CF to being. ROCK on babe!
I find it ironic that you live a total contradiction. You discriminate against females in the woman. They are VICIMIZED by your group of anti-lifers to death.
Enjoy YOUR freedom. To hell with everybody else and their rights.
I DO enjoy my freedom from the toxic baggage of gods, religions and churches, which as far as I'M concerned, DO treat women as second-class citizens. That especially applies to the Catholic Church, although it certainly isn't restricted to Catholicism.

Because I am church-FREE, I have the freedom to make all my own sexual and reproductive decisions with NO interference from nosy male church clerics telling me I'm committing some kind of "sin" for making a decision the church disapproves of. I can decide for MYSELF to use reliable birth control to AVOID unwanted pregnancy. I can -- and did -- decide for MYSELF when and IF I wanted to get married. I can and did decide for MYSELF when and IF to become a mother. I decided for MYSELF how many children I wanted to have, as it was MY life, which is not for any church to rule over.

Oh, and YOU don't have the right to impose YOUR backward beliefs on me or anyone else. So your little "to hell with everyone else and their rights" whine doesn't work with me. Religions and churches don't have that right either, at least not in the United States, where a person is free to REJECT them with no civil or criminal penalties for doing so. It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained by a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

sassyjm wrote:
Oh boy! Listen,I am truly sorry that many women feel used and abused like you describe. But,I gotta say,today,women ADD to this. Let me explain. I hear women(you and some others on here..cough..cough...OCEAN56.. .)degrade the role of homemaker and motherhood as "if" it is a pathetic and unworthy position in life. If we care for others on the outside(jobs where we attend to,care for,nurse,service,etc..)then we are considered "employeed with honor". If we take on the job at our own home,with our own children and families,we are prisoners some how.
Yeah, sASSy, I DO think it's degrading for women to be told that marriage and motherhood, both of which are UNPAID of course, are the ONLY valid functions for a woman to have in life. That's a message which conservative religionists like yourself are constantly preaching. Obviously, YOU don't like my saying I find such a setup degrading. Too bleeping bad.

The whole "traditional marriage" arrangement that religions and churches are so fond of telling women is so "great" for them is, to me, nothing more than a giantic CON JOB. I don't buy that con job any more now than when I first heard it a couple of decades ago. Any guy who seriously believes he has the "right" to be a woman's BOSS as a husband is a guy to run as far AWAY from as possible. It WOULD be degrading for me to subject myself to such a toxic marital arrangement, which is why I make sure I avoid it. Hope that clears things up for you.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
Honey, you EAT your loving god. And then you wash his body down with his blood.
My parents created me. I don't snack on them.
Next...
I've always found that whole "blood" thing from religionists like sASSy to be extremely grotesque, to put it mildly. It was another reason why I dumped gods, religions and churches, and it's great that I don't have to listen to long, tedious sermons about that nonsense now.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

sassyjm wrote:
Well,you are very much incorrect when you thought that this..so called.."point" was not intended to degrade wives/mothers/homemakers. Ocean clearly called it enslavement and Leonie also put down being a wife and a mother,referring to it as being a slave. I've had many conversations with Ocean about this.
You've had "conversations" with me about this, really. lol Funny, but I recall those so-called "conversations" as being nothing more than tedious rants from you on one subject or another. But if you want to call them something else, knock yourself out. Even you are free to have your delusions.

I have to wonder why it bothers you so much what my particular views of marriage and motherhood may be when MY personal views don't affect YOUR life directly. If I consider the whole "traditional marriage/motherhood" thing to be enslavement and something I choose carefully to avoid, how does that affect YOUR ability to do whatever you choose? Why would it matter to you what Leonine, myself, or anyone else called it?

I consider the whole "traditional marriage" package, where the woman is treated like an unpaid servant, to be utterly degrading to women, and that's why I avoid it. I would never date, let alone marry, some religionist male imbecile who thinks he has the "right" to be a woman's BOSS, aka "head of the family." And yes, if I were dating, I would make it a point to ask a guy directly whether he's one of those "traditional marriage" guys. The second he said yes, I would DUMP him a minute later.

Got a problem with my saying all of this? Too bad, sASSy. Since it is MY life, I alone make the rules for it. If you choose to be offended by it, that's YOUR problem.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

<quoted text>
"Bring up anything you like as long as it is factual."
Whoa! I can't believe you wrote this, Ink
No that you actually write what 'the text says' in the context that it is said. Most of the time when non believers quote the Bible it is either inaccurate, out of context or not considerate of the times and culture.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 294,601 - 294,620 of303,199
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,033,161
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Just Think 216,630
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 32 min Trojan 26,088
Syracuse basketball: Jim Boeheim tells ESPN Tyl... Apr 14 Lenox Da Kid 2
loan offer (Jun '13) Apr 14 Bryan Cranston 81
Burke Calls Shots With The Best (Feb '08) Apr 12 maryann 19
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Apr 12 plenty 49
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••