Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 314353 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#314953 Nov 7, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
you must be married timmy. ahhh, if only me lad.....if only.
Excuse me, but WTF are you babbling about?

Try for a coherent structured sentence.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#314954 Nov 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
They are women, just look at the anger on here when anyone challenges their ideals.
Challenges their ideas with what?

AND what ideas of feminist women are being challenged?

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#314955 Nov 7, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Romney, Ryan, Santorum, all of those guys are militant religionists who have crept into politics over the years. I am just very grateful that all three of them LOST their elections. They would have made things far worse for women if they had won.
Let's not forget the now-classic remark of Santorum's, that "contraception is not okay" nonsense. How is it ANY of his business or anyone else's whether women use contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy or not? Simple; it ISN'T his business at all. But his public comments have made it clear that he would like to MAKE it his business if he ever got the chance. Thank goodness he DIDN'T get it.
I find it amusing that the question was even asked. It is SO obvious, but playing like they don't notice is pathetic.

Santorum is the head catholic lunatic!!!
Ocean56

AOL

#314956 Nov 7, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
I wish though,that you would stop misintrepting the word of God though. You personally might have felt prisoner of God or his church,but that's just your experience. It is a flat out lie to claim that those who do accept God,are mere "second-class citizens" who are denied free will choice.
Yeah, sASSy, I'm sure you do wish I'd stop expressing my negative views of gods, religions, and churches. Not a chance. I'm not interested in what YOU wish I would do or not do.

As far as I'M concerned, many religions and churches DO treat women as second-class citizens, especially those who impose oppressive doctrines forbidding the use of reliable contraception to AVOID unwanted pregnancy. That's one of the reasons why I kicked that toxic baggage to the curb over two decades ago.

It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained by some regressive and oppressive religious institution. I so love being church-FREE.
Ocean56

AOL

#314957 Nov 7, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
Morgie,I am no slave. I am in a wonderful marriage,where we are one. Equal. I treat him as I would treat myself. With respect and value. My bible doesn't degrade my marriage. In fact,our belief in God,allows us to grow together towards our creator,which actually diminishes the self-centeredness/selfish nature that we were born into. It allows us to put another first which allows that love to grow. We receive when we give of ourself. Let's fact it,we are all trapped in that sinful nature and it takes much faith and srength in God to keep it at bay.
Yeah, sASSy, you keep telling yourself that, if that's what gets you through the days and nights. I don't buy this nonsense any more now than I did when I kicked the toxic baggage of gods, religions and churches to the curb many years ago.

As far as I'M concerned, the whole "traditional marriage" thing is a trap for women, which I would prefer to AVOID. Sorry (not really) that you have such an issue with women who aren't interested in having a BOSS for a husband, but that's YOUR issue, not mine.
Ocean56

AOL

#314958 Nov 7, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
Honey,you can get married,have children or not. I don't care.It doesn't affect my in any way. But,...if you ARE married or you HAVE children,and are unhappy about it,it is your ways of coping with it that bothers me and affects me. You think that killing is a choice solution to rid yourself of your current state. IF your child(ren)exist or IF you are presently married,and decide that you don't want to mother your children or be a wife any longer,then LEAVE. DO NOT KILL!
Get it?
Oh PLEASE, sASSy, I think you and religionists like you DO care that more women are choosing NOT to marry and/or have children in spite of your phony claims that you don't. Whether a woman chooses to use reliable contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy or uses abortion to terminate one, it ISN'T YOUR DECISION. Why? Because it isn't YOUR pregnancy. Do you get THAT? Obviously not.

I couldn't care less what bothers or affects you. Whether YOU like it or not, some women don't want marriage or children and prefer to be independent career women instead. I suggest you get over it.
Ocean56

AOL

#314959 Nov 7, 2013
sassyjm wrote:
Do you feel inferior by mothering your child? WHY? Why can't women today embrace their womanhood,feminity and role in their childs life? Why are they degraded who they are,what their bodies where meant for? You girls are your own worst enemies.
Ah, so you DO care that more women today are choosing NOT to have children, and in some cases, choosing NOT to get married either. I knew your "I don't care" claim was a phony one.

To answer your "WHY?" question, however, the reason is simple; some women don't WANT the restrictions that both marriage and motherhood can -- and often DOES -- impose on them. Don't like a woman's feeling that way? Too bad. The women who reject marriage and/or motherhood prefer to do other things instead; such as traveling, enjoying their lives as career women with economic indepencence, or anything else THEY choose to do. That's hardly "being their own worst enemies," in spite of what YOU choose to BELIEVE. Thankfully for all progressive women, your regressive beliefs aren't facts.
Ocean56

AOL

#314960 Nov 7, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
No less important than what is important to you. My mother has a cousin who many years ago was in a short, very abusive, marriage. She had her marriage annulled before I was even born. After that she chose to never marry again and had no kids yet she has lived a very happy, full and productive life. Being a wife and mother is a choice like anything else and nobody is required to follow that path.
Exactly. Although religionists like Sassy and Inky seem very bothered by the fact that women CAN reject the paths of religion, marriage, and motherhood with no penalties whatsoever.

It makes one wonder why they get so angry about it. I often think that loss of status may be a very significant factor.
Ocean56

AOL

#314961 Nov 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
I find it amusing that the question was even asked. It is SO obvious, but playing like they don't notice is pathetic.
Santorum is the head catholic lunatic!!!
I totally agree. But it's amazing how many anti-choice women defend that idiot whenever he gets some well-deserved public criticism. Amazing what a guy's "pretty face" will do, isn't it? It can turn some women into brainless marshmallows.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314962 Nov 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are the many who have creeped into politics in order to enforce their no so good book. They wish to role back womens rights, they are on a mission. They take scripture seriously...starting with the ROLE of women, that must be enforced above all other things. You should pay more attention Ink.
I pay attention, I just don't agree with you. I don't see anyone telling women what their 'roles' should be.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314963 Nov 7, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Romney, Ryan, Santorum, all of those guys are militant religionists who have crept into politics over the years. I am just very grateful that all three of them LOST their elections. They would have made things far worse for women if they had won.
Let's not forget the now-classic remark of Santorum's, that "contraception is not okay" nonsense. How is it ANY of his business or anyone else's whether women use contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy or not? Simple; it ISN'T his business at all. But his public comments have made it clear that he would like to MAKE it his business if he ever got the chance. Thank goodness he DIDN'T get it.
This is the 'classic' remark and what is wrong with it?

Santorum: Well, I ó what Iíve talked about it with respect is my Catholic faith, which, you know, I, I agree with the Catholic Church on the issue of contraception. But as you know, I mean, I ó thatís, thatís a different position than I have with respect to public policy. You know, public policy, women should have access to contraception. I have no problem with that at all. The question is whether some religious organization should be forced to pay for something that they believe is a moral wrong, and the issue is ó the answer to that is no. And under the Obama administration policy, they are continuing to be forced to do so.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314964 Nov 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right! I don't believe that. However, the scriptures are quite clear on rank and file.
Shall we take another peek at just a few that I previously posted?
""For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.""
The churches purpose is "worship" correct? Do you worship your husband, is he your savior?
I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.
Well there you have it Ink....you have no authority.
""Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters"""
Women and slaves have much in common it appears.
"""Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives""
How nice, men do not need to obey if their wife is in line......
"""ďI will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.Ē"""
He shall rule over you, enough said.
""""Likewi se, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel,"""
The weaker vessel....enough said.
"""To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."""
That is pretty straight forward, ""working at home", there does not appear to be another option or CHOICE.
"""If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home.""
AH! The wife only is allowed knowledge from her husband! If he desires she has any.
That enough for now, with so much more to go!
Why do you insist that Christians are living by 2000 year old customs and Jewish religious laws? These men who said these things were part of a patriachial orthodox Jewish culture.

Women and children were supposed to be taken care of by men and in turn the women took care of the men. It worked, produced families retained parentage and kept a close community.

Nobody cares about those things anymore and nobody is following old Jewish law.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314965 Nov 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Challenges their ideas with what?
AND what ideas of feminist women are being challenged?
The moral challenge to the right to kill unwanted unborn babies.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314966 Nov 7, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh PLEASE, sASSy, I think you and religionists like you DO care that more women are choosing NOT to marry and/or have children in spite of your phony claims that you don't. Whether a woman chooses to use reliable contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy or uses abortion to terminate one, it ISN'T YOUR DECISION. Why? Because it isn't YOUR pregnancy. Do you get THAT? Obviously not.
I couldn't care less what bothers or affects you. Whether YOU like it or not, some women don't want marriage or children and prefer to be independent career women instead. I suggest you get over it.
I think you have gone off the rails. How could anybody's choice to remain single affect anybody else and why would they even care?
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#314967 Nov 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No sense.
How come there is a freeway to Las Cruces
from El Paso and not to Carlsbad?
They raised the speed limit and there
is no lane to pass. It is a death highway.
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#314968 Nov 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the 'classic' remark and what is wrong with it?
Santorum: Well, I ó what Iíve talked about it with respect is my Catholic faith, which, you know, I, I agree with the Catholic Church on the issue of contraception. But as you know, I mean, I ó thatís, thatís a different position than I have with respect to public policy. You know, public policy, women should have access to contraception. I have no problem with that at all. The question is whether some religious organization should be forced to pay for something that they believe is a moral wrong, and the issue is ó the answer to that is no. And under the Obama administration policy, they are continuing to be forced to do so.
Too bad; health care trumps religious "morals".
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#314969 Nov 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you insist on calling them babies when you know the correct term is fetus?

Is that on page 1 of the fundie handbook?
Ink

Havertown, PA

#314970 Nov 7, 2013
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad; health care trumps religious "morals".
Actuall big government trumps all individual rights under this president.
sassyjm

Cresskill, NJ

#314972 Nov 7, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
No less important than what is important to you. My mother has a cousin who many years ago was in a short, very abusive, marriage. She had her marriage annulled before I was even born. After that she chose to never marry again and had no kids yet she has lived a very happy, full and productive life. Being a wife and mother is a choice like anything else and nobody is required to follow that path.
Who would blame a woman like that for not wanting to remarry? I think that it's sad that women like her,and many on here(who are CLEARLY anti-marriage,anti-having children or more than one)have been exposed to disasterous relationships and therefore blame men in general or marriage,then the individual who did the damage to their perspective of what marriage is suppose to be.

It's like *for them* in order to gain any kind of control back,they will attack the wrong people. I used to work with a woman who was manipulative,controlling and backstabbing. I used to wonder what made her tick instead of going head to head with her(in order to gain a better handle on her situation). Low and behold,she had a VERY controlling,verbally abusive husband. So,in turn,because she couldn't fight him,she had let it out to others in her life. It was almost like NOBODY was gonna ever get the opportunity to have control over her ever again.

Sad.
sassyjm

Cresskill, NJ

#314973 Nov 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what the book says and you can try to sweeten it all you like. But the bottom line is...as you said
"He says that man comes from God and woman from man", nothing degrading about that right Ink? Think about it Ink, she is lower on the totem pole. A child could figure that out.
God made man(ALL of us)in his image and likeness. He made males first and then took a rib out of man and made a female. females were not "from man" like you thought.

I wonder if you think that God favored women by allowing only THEM to have their offspring created in their body,carry/bond while gestating that child and then having breasts to feed that baby. In other words,the mother/child bond is tight.

I suppose not,because then you wouldn't have an opportunity to feel second class.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 min Trojan 33,094
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min RoxLo 1,535,656
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr superwilly 258,471
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) May 16 Patriot 11,170
Penn State University & State College May 12 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr '17 DelucaKoehn 11
More from around the web