Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313197 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Katie

Puyallup, WA

#313597 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what it means at all.
is used to designate any action or word or thing as reckoned to a person. Thus in doctrinal language (1) the sin of Adam is imputed to all his descendants, i.e., it is reckoned as theirs, and they are dealt with therefore as guilty; (2) the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them that believe in him, or so attributed to them as to be considered their own; and (3) our sins are imputed to Christ, i.e., he assumed our "law-place," undertook to answer the demands of justice for our sins. In all these cases the nature of imputation is the same (Rom. 5:12-19; comp. Philemon 1:18, 19).
I believe he was referring to #2
Yeah, I know what he meant. He's saying he has no righteousness except what jesus/god gave him. And, like I said, if he's saying his righteousness is being imputed to him, then he has none. That what he believes has been given to him has been done falsely. That's what imputed means -- to decide blame falsely.

Perhaps you guys don't see the dysfunction in believing it's okay to blame anyone and everyone for one person's wrong-doing. Or to hold all accountable for one person's misdeed. However, I know from my childhood, that's usually what happens. The whole class is held hostage until someone else tattles on the wrong-doer.

And you wonder why people don't believe in your religion...
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313598 Oct 17, 2013
HalleBarry90 wrote:
everyone who is aginst the rights of someone to choose there own life course, please go and adopt every kid out there who starving and illitarate, and show that you really care about life. when that´s taken care of then you can start meddling into issues you obviously don´t have the brain power to handel. Stop beleiving in fairlytails .
Where do you keep your 'fairy tail'?

“CRITICAL THINKING -- try it.”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#313599 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your point that these children should have been aborted?
50,000 are being adopted each year.
hhs.gov
Children Waiting to be Adopted, with TPR: The number of waiting children whose parents’ parental rights had been
terminated as of the last day of each year increased from 74,000 in FY 2004 to 82,000 in FY 2007. Since FY 2007, the
number has steadily declined to just 59,000 in FY 2012. The percentage of children waiting to be adopted whose children
whose parental rights had been terminated has shown a similar decline, from 63% in FY 2008 to 58% in FY 2012. Further
analysis reveals that the number of children whose parents’ rights were terminated during the year has remained very
consistent over the past several years (around 32,000), but the proportion that they make up of all waiting children with
TPR has increased, from 49% in 2009 to 55% in 2012, suggesting that the population of children legally free for adoption
may be shifting toward more children who more recently had parental rights terminated, as states have improved in their
efforts to get more children with TPR to adoption.
Children Adopted: Between FY 2002 and FY 2006, the number of adoptions remained relatively flat, ranging between
50,000 and 52,000. We saw an increase from 51,000 in FY 2006 to 57,000 in FY 2009, but the numbers decreased back
to 51,000 in FY 2011, and slightly back up to 52,000 in FY 2012. Note that although the numbers declined in FY 2010
and FY 2011, the proportion of adoptions to all exits from foster care has been relatively stable, just under 21% in the last
several years, with a slight increase in FY2012 at 21.6%.
I don't know how to make my point to you any more clear than I already have (although I realize both you and NR want to set up a strawman argument as my point is irrefutable): there are way more children available for adoption right now than there are families waiting/wanting/willing to adopt.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#313600 Oct 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol -you don't want to hear the truth.
I could've went the abortion route, which everyone would've said was the right thing in my situation and did say, but instead "we" did the right thing for a change :)
If you truly don't want to hear any more bs, then just stop talking.
You guys are doing the same thing that has been done forever -hate the message? Attack the messenger.
All messengers have things in life that their not proud of, except there was, is, forever will be ONE who lived a perfect life, but my guess is you guys hate His message as well :)
"I could've went the abortion route"

No, you could not have. You were not pregnant.
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#313601 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I found the article quite startling and chilling. All of our efforts to prove that it is a child separate and unique is a waste of time because it doesn't matter. No pro abort cares that it is really a child being killed and not a wad of cells. All they care about is keeping abortion legal to allow themselves or their friends and family out of an irresponsible boo boo.
The problem is that the advertising of PP and others dehunanizes the child, the real deal and conflicted vulnerable young women fall for their financially profitable spiel and have the abortion. Later when they take the time to realize what was done, they often regret the choice they made.
Not evryone who has had an abortion is as coldhearted and callous as the women on here.
Nooooooooo, you're not an extremist when it come to this topic.
feces for jesus

Brooklyn, NY

#313602 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what it means at all.
is used to designate any action or word or thing as reckoned to a person. Thus in doctrinal language (1) the sin of Adam is imputed to all his descendants, i.e., it is reckoned as theirs, and they are dealt with therefore as guilty; (2) the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them that believe in him, or so attributed to them as to be considered their own; and (3) our sins are imputed to Christ, i.e., he assumed our "law-place," undertook to answer the demands of justice for our sins. In all these cases the nature of imputation is the same (Rom. 5:12-19; comp. Philemon 1:18, 19).
I believe he was referring to #2
Forget your "doctrinal language". Let's deal with reality.

Here is what righteousness means:

1: acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin

2a : morally right or justifiable <a righteous decision> b : arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality <righteous indignation>

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#313603 Oct 17, 2013
C Hamilton wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how to make my point to you any more clear than I already have (although I realize both you and NR want to set up a strawman argument as my point is irrefutable): there are way more children available for adoption right now than there are families waiting/wanting/willing to adopt.
Oh, there are plenty willing to adopt...an infant, preferably 'their' color, without obvious health or behavior issues.

Other than that, when asked about adopting an older, less-color-coordinated, or possibly 'damaged' kid, it's "Oh no, no thanks, too much trouble. We'd rather go overseas, and get one more suited to our specs."

Sheesh.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313604 Oct 17, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text> You think the right to an abortion equates to the obligation to have one as well, apparently....
<quoted text>I've gone over this many times: I am pro-life - therefore, I am pro-choice.(I happen to value quality of life at least as much as quantity of life. Your values may differ.)
<quoted text>There wouldn't be, if contraception was universally practiced, more consistently, by both genders. But the SCPL wants to put as many obstacles to that in the way, particularly in the way of women, as is humanly possible, on the grounds that they shouldn't have to pay for things which contradict their beliefs....
<quoted text>Yes...but you also ASSUME that every woman is genetically programmed to want babies. You assume women would be better off, if abortion was removed as a choice for dealing with unwanted pregnancy, because you assume that we would stop having sex except as a means to conception. And you also assume that women who have abortions are morally inferior to yourself.
Pah!!
I certainly don't equate the right to an abortion to an obigation to have one but common sense dictates that you would give birth if you don't want a child.

I think you have to be careful when judging someone's 'quality' of life. That soon turns to Godlike judgements of who should die because their 'quality' of life isn't up to your standards.

That's a cop out to make excuses for people not using contraception responsiby. Nobody is getting in the way of men or women to use protection. If one partner had AIDS, they would be conciencous because you can't abort that.

I assume none of what you said.I can talk for myself. The whole point of women having acces to abortion was to prevent non motherly women from having babies. Are you telling me, it's not working?
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313605 Oct 17, 2013
feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget your "doctrinal language". Let's deal with reality.
Here is what righteousness means:
1: acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin
2a : morally right or justifiable <a righteous decision> b : arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality <righteous indignation>
That isn't what 'imputed righteousness' means.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313606 Oct 17, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know what he meant. He's saying he has no righteousness except what jesus/god gave him. And, like I said, if he's saying his righteousness is being imputed to him, then he has none. That what he believes has been given to him has been done falsely. That's what imputed means -- to decide blame falsely.
Perhaps you guys don't see the dysfunction in believing it's okay to blame anyone and everyone for one person's wrong-doing. Or to hold all accountable for one person's misdeed. However, I know from my childhood, that's usually what happens. The whole class is held hostage until someone else tattles on the wrong-doer.
Who is blaming who for what?
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313607 Oct 17, 2013
That you would NOT give birth

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#313608 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your point that these children should have been aborted?
50,000 are being adopted each year.
hhs.gov
Children Waiting to be Adopted, with TPR: The number of waiting children whose parents’ parental rights had been
terminated as of the last day of each year increased from 74,000 in FY 2004 to 82,000 in FY 2007. Since FY 2007, the
number has steadily declined to just 59,000 in FY 2012. The percentage of children waiting to be adopted whose children
whose parental rights had been terminated has shown a similar decline, from 63% in FY 2008 to 58% in FY 2012. Further
analysis reveals that the number of children whose parents’ rights were terminated during the year has remained very
consistent over the past several years (around 32,000), but the proportion that they make up of all waiting children with
TPR has increased, from 49% in 2009 to 55% in 2012, suggesting that the population of children legally free for adoption
may be shifting toward more children who more recently had parental rights terminated, as states have improved in their
efforts to get more children with TPR to adoption.
Children Adopted: Between FY 2002 and FY 2006, the number of adoptions remained relatively flat, ranging between
50,000 and 52,000. We saw an increase from 51,000 in FY 2006 to 57,000 in FY 2009, but the numbers decreased back
to 51,000 in FY 2011, and slightly back up to 52,000 in FY 2012. Note that although the numbers declined in FY 2010
and FY 2011, the proportion of adoptions to all exits from foster care has been relatively stable, just under 21% in the last
several years, with a slight increase in FY2012 at 21.6%.
"Is your point that these children should have been aborted?"

You all have been told many times that this is not the point. The point is that if all the women who don't want to be pregnant put the resulting child up for adoption, there would be even MORE children that would end up not being adopted. How will it help anything to put that many into an already overburdened system?

Besides, adoption is not a solution to the woman who doesn't wish to remain pregnant. It's not a reproductive choice, it's a parenting choice.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313609 Oct 17, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them that believe in him, or so attributed to them as to be considered their own;

You don't know that it is false. That is just your opinion. Two billion people disagree with you.
Katie

Puyallup, WA

#313610 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly don't equate the right to an abortion to an obigation to have one but common sense dictates that you would give birth if you don't want a child.
I think you have to be careful when judging someone's 'quality' of life. That soon turns to Godlike judgements of who should die because their 'quality' of life isn't up to your standards.
That's a cop out to make excuses for people not using contraception responsiby. Nobody is getting in the way of men or women to use protection. If one partner had AIDS, they would be conciencous because you can't abort that.
I assume none of what you said.I can talk for myself. The whole point of women having acces to abortion was to prevent non motherly women from having babies. Are you telling me, it's not working?
There was quite a bit more to women having the rights to personal privacy and bodily autonomy than just "having acces to abortion was to prevent non motherly women from having babies."

<blink> <blink>

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#313611 Oct 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
She didn't just consider it, she had it scheduled.
That was clear in the first sentence.
Gtown71 wrote:
She broke down and told me the night before it was to be done.
So you had no idea what she was going to do prior to the appt? That doesn't sound good for you Gtown.
Gtown71 wrote:
All I did was tell her my conviction about the matter.
She always had the power.
She has full custody and always have.
Funny, seems I recall you said they eventually divorced and her husband had custody.
Gtown71 wrote:
The world would've said we fit the perfect mold for abortion. He's 12 now, so you think she regrets not having him killed?
Answer - no, she's glad he's here, and so am I
There is no perfect mold and there is no "we".
Gtown71 wrote:
We all know I'm a screw up saved by grace, but perhaps you should give your own life a check up?
You know, just in case there is a God.
From what I know about you, you seem to be the model person, but what I think and what God thinks are worlds apart.
He sees you as a filthy sinner, and is only pleased with what His Son did.
Accepting His Son, is the ONLY reason He no longer sees me, as a filthy sinner.
ONLY REASON.
We sin everyday, everybody does, so yeah you're still a filthy sinner.
Ink

Havertown, PA

#313612 Oct 17, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, there are plenty willing to adopt...an infant, preferably 'their' color, without obvious health or behavior issues.
Other than that, when asked about adopting an older, less-color-coordinated, or possibly 'damaged' kid, it's "Oh no, no thanks, too much trouble. We'd rather go overseas, and get one more suited to our specs."
Sheesh.
You make an erroneous judgements so that you don't have to stress your brain with thinking.
Katie

Puyallup, WA

#313613 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them that believe in him, or so attributed to them as to be considered their own;
You don't know that it is false. That is just your opinion. Two billion people disagree with you.
Imputed means to credit or blame falsely. I didn't make it up. I didn't create it.

But your religion uses it. I say it uses it wrongly. If you think it's used correctly, great. I think you and the other "two billion" people have been misled. Sorta like the authorities were during the, um, scandal of the last century.
Gtown71

United States

#313614 Oct 17, 2013
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>You're a joke.
"The ONLY righteousness I have was imputed to me" You have no idea how self-righteous that is.
No grumps.
Self righteous would be saying that in a way that made it look like I deserved it, becouse I was such a great person, and that you and others don't.

Yet I never deserved it and neither do you, but it's offered to all. I simply accepted it.
Gtown71

United States

#313615 Oct 17, 2013
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>That was clear in the first sentence.
<quoted text>So you had no idea what she was going to do prior to the appt? That doesn't sound good for you Gtown.
<quoted text>Funny, seems I recall you said they eventually divorced and her husband had custody.
<quoted text>There is no perfect mold and there is no "we".
<quoted text>We sin everyday, everybody does, so yeah you're still a filthy sinner.
They did file, but stopped it, and yes I'm still a filthy sinner, and always will be, BUT God no longer sees me as a sinner, and that's the only difference in a lost person and saved.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#313616 Oct 17, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly don't equate the right to an abortion to an obigation to have one but common sense dictates that you wouldn't give birth if you don't want a child.
It does? Are you saying that aborting an unwanted pregnancy is not only 'sense' but COMMON SENSE? And you accuse ME of promoting abortion. Wow.
Just wow.
Really....that's the most interesting comment you've ever made.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike your 'Godlike judgments' of how humans should behave with regard to sex, of course.

My belief system doesn't hand responsibility for making judgments about my life, to a deity. I reserve that responsibility on my own behalf. Your belief system may differ, and require you to cop-out on this responsibility for exercising your own judgment, by passing the buck to 'God'.
To each her own.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
AIDS can be cured now.(Or 'killed' if you prefer.) Some people with AIDS still have unprotected sex. Does that mean we should withhold the cure when people get AIDS? They knew they were risking a sexually transmitted disease, by having sex,'protected' or not.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you telling me you're okay with the fact that it IS??????

Many "Non-motherly" women are also NOT GETTING PREGNANT. You'd prefer to stick to your script, and ignore them, apparently, than acknowledge their numbers are growing. Abortion rates are going down, remember?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min SobieskiSavedEurope 1,480,077
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 10 min Rudolpho Laspari 10,714
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Tue Trojan 32,714
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Tue Go Blue Forever 75
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Tue louis 19
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jan 15 RiccardoFire 201,892
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Jan 15 Rosa_Winkel 258,461
More from around the web