Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Comments (Page 14,623)

Showing posts 292,441 - 292,460 of304,892
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Especially crucial to the story is that it rained for forty days--something none of the theories are compatible with.
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
"An ancient Babylonian flood myth, the Epic of Gilgamesh, tells us a story analogous to that of Noah and his ark. In it, a man named Utnapishtim builds a ship to save his family and animals from floods brought on his city by a wrathful god. After seven days, Utnapishtim and his family come to rest safely on a mountaintop.
Greek and Roman mythology tell the tale of angry gods who planned to flood the Earth and destroy humanity; the story's hero Deucalion and his wife take shelter in an ark and are spared. American Indian legends also tell of people taking shelter in a boat to be saved from a flood."
From your link, page one.
With all of that, why do you choose to believe it was only Noah's flood? Or only applied to Noah? Or that the others mentioned are not as real as Noah?
Thanks, though, for showing scientists are looking at ancient tsunamis and evidence left behind. Still, none of it confirms Noah's Flood happened.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer anything. Is this the first time marriage has been between two people of the same sex?
No. The first recorded same sex marriage actually occurred in the Catholic Church in Spain.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

cpeter1313 wrote:
Especially crucial to the story is that it rained for forty days--something none of the theories are compatible with.
<quoted text>
Hey Peter

Just popping in ..And want to explain

My belief is indeed in the bible account . I know you don't believe it

It says,clearly not only did it rain forty days,...But fountains beneath the,surface erupted ..if you can imagine this ..it accounts for all this "layers,of things being found""

Thing is,..You either believe this was,a,supernatural event for supernatural reasons ..the,NEPHIL POLLUTING THE HUMANS BEING ONE..

or you don't..

the flood,stories were passed down if course ... but the facts,were inspired to be written ....by God

Even in Moses time ..who knew there were fountains,of water deep WITHIN the earth ..in the one before the flood things,were different
As far as land masses,because of this ....

See you all later ..wanted to MSKE it clear,on what we who believe the BIBLE BELIEVE.

Peace and,God bless
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry doo doo boy, you're wrong. While you can fit a smaller diameter hose into a larger hose, if they are both male or both female ends there can be no threaded connection unless you use a coupling. mon sense elude you and the clueless poser.
Who said anything about a thread or a tight fit? Can a smaller diameter hose fit into a larger diameter hose??? Yes.
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I have said in the past and I say again I don't take the Bible word for word. Recollections are just that, recollections.These are oral histories finally written down before calendars or clocks.
I will say that eventually the Bible will prove to contain a lot of truth about 'real' history.
What "real" history are you seeking to validate?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I am probably going to get plenty of heat here but, here it is.
It is easy for people who don't believe in God as their heavenly Father and as Creator to think about an unborn child as a pregnancy. Eliminating one child in the world is no big deal. After all life is a bitch and then you die.
For people of faith, it is a child created in the image and likeness of God who He cares about. We are all His children and we wouldn't hurt another child. Having an abortion or advocating that others do or learning to accept it as part of culture is wrong.
We believe that all people are loved by God even when their parents don't, especially then.
You have your rights and you should be satisfied but don't minimize and ridicule the strong feelings on the other side.
They are genuine and not just trying to make your life harder. People do that for themselves.
"For people of faith, it is a child created in the image and likeness of God who He cares about."-Ink

If he 'cares' so much, why is abortion even a thing? Why does he do it himself, affecting one of every three pregnancies conceived??

"People of faith" have no business involving themselves in the decisions of others, simply because of their OWN faith. You're welcome to believe abortion is 'wrong', and to act accordingly ON YOUR OWN BEHALF. No one is stopping you from making the decision to gestate a pregnancy. But beating pregnant women who DON'T want to continue a pregnancy over the head, with YOUR faith, is wrong. And the evidence that your 'God' loves us, especially when our parents don't, is sadly lacking. Just ask any 'unadoptable' kid in the foster care system - there are hundreds of thousands to choose from.

We ARE 'satisfied' with our rights, but restricting, removing, and 'reassigning' them, is a genuine cause for protest, because those who would do any of the above are assuredly trying to 'make our lives harder'. You're so full of shit your eyes are brown.

The only person your beliefs should affect, IS YOU.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I am probably going to get plenty of heat here but, here it is.
don't minimize and ridicule the strong feelings on the other side.
Calling a woman's elective abortion of her pregnancy 'casual' is minimizing. Saying she is 'wrong' to do so, because of YOUR faith, is ridiculous.

Try again?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>"For people of faith, it is a child created in the image and likeness of God who He cares about."-Ink
If he 'cares' so much, why is abortion even a thing? Why does he do it himself, affecting one of every three pregnancies conceived??
"People of faith" have no business involving themselves in the decisions of others, simply because of their OWN faith. You're welcome to believe abortion is 'wrong', and to act accordingly ON YOUR OWN BEHALF. No one is stopping you from making the decision to gestate a pregnancy. But beating pregnant women who DON'T want to continue a pregnancy over the head, with YOUR faith, is wrong. And the evidence that your 'God' loves us, especially when our parents don't, is sadly lacking. Just ask any 'unadoptable' kid in the foster care system - there are hundreds of thousands to choose from.
We ARE 'satisfied' with our rights, but restricting, removing, and 'reassigning' them, is a genuine cause for protest, because those who would do any of the above are assuredly trying to 'make our lives harder'. You're so full of shit your eyes are brown.
The only person your beliefs should affect, IS YOU.
Well said.
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>

the flood,stories were passed down if course ... but the facts,were inspired to be written ....by God......

Peace and,God bless
We understand what you may believe, rose.

Thing is, there are no "facts" relating to the noahs arc story told in the bible. It's just a fable with no evidence to support such a ridiculous story.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

feces for jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think you're not a funde!!!!!
Nope, not a single shred of evidence to link any flood to the Noahs arc fable in the links ink provided. Get back to us know when you can be honest
correction, i "know" i'm not a fundie. i only said she provided evidence of a major flood. which she did. i didn't say that evidence constituted proof of the biblical flood or that i even believed a biblical flood occurred.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>...known in scientific circles as...wait for it...yep:
a FETUS.
science and you can assign it any name you like. doesn't change the fact that science still "describes" it accurately, as.....wait for it....yep : a distinct human life.
Next...
yes, i'd like to chat with shovel next. can you summon her please?
you phony.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
The womb? What womb? Whose womb? To whom does the womb belong? Who has ownership?
Pick one.
A. Religion
B. Government
C. Men
D. A woman/girl
i choose 'd'.
now explain how this changes the fact that science describes the fetus as a distinct human life.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
"An ancient Babylonian flood myth, the Epic of Gilgamesh, tells us a story analogous to that of Noah and his ark. In it, a man named Utnapishtim builds a ship to save his family and animals from floods brought on his city by a wrathful god. After seven days, Utnapishtim and his family come to rest safely on a mountaintop.
Greek and Roman mythology tell the tale of angry gods who planned to flood the Earth and destroy humanity; the story's hero Deucalion and his wife take shelter in an ark and are spared. American Indian legends also tell of people taking shelter in a boat to be saved from a flood."
From your link, page one.
With all of that, why do you choose to believe it was only Noah's flood? Or only applied to Noah? Or that the others mentioned are not as real as Noah?
Thanks, though, for showing scientists are looking at ancient tsunamis and evidence left behind. Still, none of it confirms Noah's Flood happened.
Couldn't it have been the same flood reported by many different cultures?
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
This does not answer why you or anyone would care about a stranger's pregnancy in another state or country. You can love anyone and everyone you want to, even from afar. You can claim it's because you love God. But once you start physically getting in someone else's space uninvited, effecting new laws that restrict others' civil rights, you've crossed the line of decency by displaying unacceptable, unwanted behavior.
So what's in it for you? Self-righteous ego stroking?
Yes self rightous ego stroking. Believe what you want.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh PLEASE!
And a bird doesn't have feathers, a bear doesn't shit in the woods, the pope is not catholic and the earth is not round.
i view abortion as a human rights issue. my opposition to it is not based at all on religion. i favor the use of contraception. i support sex/contraception education, and i have no objection whatsoever to gay marriage. if i'm a fundie you better start a campaign to have the definition changed.

kills you that you can't pigeon hole everyone you disagree with and that you might actually have to argue the merits of your position rather than resort to personal attacks, doesn't it?
turns you into a stuttering, stammering mess.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you measure the "magnitude" of the Noah flood when you've already admitted the people of the time had no idea how large the Earth was? The flood could've covered a mere 10 mile radius but those people would've only perceived it as a massive flood because they didn't know any better. Those ancient people may have thought that a flood was covering their whole world while in reality most of the Earth remained unaffected. So what proof do you have of the "magnitude" of that one particular flood? And again, where is your proof is was the work of a god?
From go.com

This ark, located an hour south of Amsterdam, is a replica of Noah's Biblical boat. Underwater archaeologist Robert Ballard is in Turkey, looking for evidence that the Great Flood happened.
ABC News

The story of Noah's Ark and the Great Flood is one of the most famous from the Bible, and now an acclaimed underwater archaeologist thinks he has found proof that the biblical flood was actually based on real events.

In an interview with Christiane Amanpour for ABC News, Robert Ballard, one of the world's best-known underwater archaeologists, talked about his findings. His team is probing the depths of the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey in search of traces of an ancient civilization hidden underwater since the time of Noah.

See photos from her journey HERE

Ballard's track record for finding the impossible is well known. In 1985, using a robotic submersible equipped with remote-controlled cameras, Ballard and his crew hunted down the world's most famous shipwreck, the Titanic.

Now Ballard is using even more advanced robotic technology to travel farther back in time. He is on a marine archeological mission that might support the story of Noah. He said some 12,000 years ago, much of the world was covered in ice.

"Where I live in Connecticut was ice a mile above my house, all the way back to the North Pole, about 15 million kilometers, that's a big ice cube," he said. "But then it started to melt. We're talking about the floods of our living history."

The water from the melting glaciers began to rush toward the world's oceans, Ballard said, causing floods all around the world.

"The questions is, was there a mother of all floods," Ballard said.

According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.

Fascinated by the idea, Ballard and his team decided to investigate.

"We went in there to look for the flood," he said. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under."

Four hundred feet below the surface, they unearthed an ancient shoreline, proof to Ballard that a catastrophic event did happen in the Black Sea. By carbon dating shells found along the shoreline, Ballard said he believes they have established a timeline for that catastrophic event, which he estimates happened around 5,000 BC. Some experts believe this was around the time when Noah's flood could have occurred.

"It probably was a bad day," Ballard said. "At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land, went under."

The theory goes on to suggest that the story of this traumatic event, seared into the collective memory of the survivors, was passed down from generation to generation and eventually inspired the biblical account of Noah.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
How can you measure the "magnitude" of the Noah flood when you've already admitted the people of the time had no idea how large the Earth was? The flood could've covered a mere 10 mile radius but those people would've only perceived it as a massive flood because they didn't know any better. Those ancient people may have thought that a flood was covering their whole world while in reality most of the Earth remained unaffected. So what proof do you have of the "magnitude" of that one particular flood? And again, where is your proof is was the work of a god?
This ark, located an hour south of Amsterdam, is a replica of Noah's Biblical boat. Underwater archaeologist Robert Ballard is in Turkey, looking for evidence that the Great Flood happened.
ABC News

The story of Noah's Ark and the Great Flood is one of the most famous from the Bible, and now an acclaimed underwater archaeologist thinks he has found proof that the biblical flood was actually based on real events.

In an interview with Christiane Amanpour for ABC News, Robert Ballard, one of the world's best-known underwater archaeologists, talked about his findings. His team is probing the depths of the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey in search of traces of an ancient civilization hidden underwater since the time of Noah.

See photos from her journey HERE

Ballard's track record for finding the impossible is well known. In 1985, using a robotic submersible equipped with remote-controlled cameras, Ballard and his crew hunted down the world's most famous shipwreck, the Titanic.

Now Ballard is using even more advanced robotic technology to travel farther back in time. He is on a marine archeological mission that might support the story of Noah. He said some 12,000 years ago, much of the world was covered in ice.

"Where I live in Connecticut was ice a mile above my house, all the way back to the North Pole, about 15 million kilometers, that's a big ice cube," he said. "But then it started to melt. We're talking about the floods of our living history."

The water from the melting glaciers began to rush toward the world's oceans, Ballard said, causing floods all around the world.

"The questions is, was there a mother of all floods," Ballard said.

According to a controversial theory proposed by two Columbia University scientists, there really was one in the Black Sea region. They believe that the now-salty Black Sea was once an isolated freshwater lake surrounded by farmland, until it was flooded by an enormous wall of water from the rising Mediterranean Sea. The force of the water was two hundred times that of Niagara Falls, sweeping away everything in its path.

Fascinated by the idea, Ballard and his team decided to investigate.

"We went in there to look for the flood," he said. "Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under."

Four hundred feet below the surface, they unearthed an ancient shoreline, proof to Ballard that a catastrophic event did happen in the Black Sea. By carbon dating shells found along the shoreline, Ballard said he believes they have established a timeline for that catastrophic event, which he estimates happened around 5,000 BC. Some experts believe this was around the time when Noah's flood could have occurred.

"It probably was a bad day," Ballard said. "At some magic moment, it broke through and flooded this place violently, and a lot of real estate, 150,000 square kilometers of land, went under."

The theory goes on to suggest that the story of this traumatic event, seared into the collective memory of the survivors, was passed down from generation to generation and eventually inspired the biblical account of Noah.
From ABC NEWS
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

<quoted text>
The latest investigations say it was probably 150,000 sq. kilometers and extremely fast rising.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/evidence-sug...
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
i view abortion as a human rights issue. my opposition to it is not based at all on religion. i favor the use of contraception. i support sex/contraception education, and i have no objection whatsoever to gay marriage. if i'm a fundie you better start a campaign to have the definition changed.
kills you that you can't pigeon hole everyone you disagree with and that you might actually have to argue the merits of your position rather than resort to personal attacks, doesn't it?
turns you into a stuttering, stammering mess.
She won't buy it that she has a warped view of people who oppose abortion.
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

cpeter1313 wrote:
Neither of which fit the noah story. I never said there weren't catastrophic floods; there were none that works with the myth.
<quoted text>
Why not?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 292,441 - 292,460 of304,892
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,071,947
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 24 min Buck Crick 223,104
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- 12 hr Sophia 7
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,611
Do you need a loan of any kind?we will be very ... (Aug '13) Jul 7 mutedo 2
Best Logo in the America East Jul 3 Mike Sivo 1
Antwon White - Guilty (Sep '07) Jul 2 the system smh 21
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••