Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
292,261 - 292,280 of 305,092 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The use of same gender is relatively new to suit the American thought process.
But not to the word at large, or the concept, which was my point.

"THE" definition cannot be changed, as there has never BEEN just one definition for the word, and words change meanings all the time anyway. That's how language evolves.

No one is trying to change the meaning, just allow access equally to all consenting adults. And there is nothing wrong with that. It will not affect anyone else's marriage one whit.
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
But not to the word at large, or the concept, which was my point.
"THE" definition cannot be changed, as there has never BEEN just one definition for the word, and words change meanings all the time anyway. That's how language evolves.
No one is trying to change the meaning, just allow access equally to all consenting adults. And there is nothing wrong with that. It will not affect anyone else's marriage one whit.
What is the problem with civil union which guarantees all rights that a married couple has?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the problem with civil union which guarantees all rights that a married couple has?
The don't. THAT is the problem.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that should have been "TheY don't." The Y key stuck and I didn't notice before submitting.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
noun: marriage;&#8195;
the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
You do want to change the definition of marriage and I believe you should have all your rights.
You didn't copy and paste the entire definition of Marriage, Ink. I especially like this, "The marriage of science and art." It can all be found at this link, including this little ditty:

"Origin of MARRIAGE

Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
First Known Use: 14th century"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mar...

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>A same sex marriage doesn't have God .
So?
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were talking about gays being killed at someone else's whim. I say everybody can be killed at someone else's whim. That means everybody including unborn children in their fetus stage.
James 5:20

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation:
for, when he hath been proved, he shall receive
the crown of life which God hath promised to them
that love him.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
James 5:20
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation:
for, when he hath been proved, he shall receive
the crown of life which God hath promised to them
that love him.
Translation: God gets off on making the little mortal beings jump through hoops.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't copy and paste the entire definition of Marriage, Ink. I especially like this, "The marriage of science and art." It can all be found at this link, including this little ditty:
"Origin of MARRIAGE
Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
First Known Use: 14th century"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mar...
Dishonest thing, isn't she?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>So, your hubby is really a woman? Actually he does look like one...mullet and all.
AND you've lied again. Twice.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You are frustrated! Did I hit a nerve? yep! Do you have matching mullets? I bet you do!
No, you just lied. It's what you always do.

“That rug tied the room”

Since: Aug 09

together--did it not...?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
He was excommunicated for many reasons mostly publically advocting a stance abjectly different from the Church. It's like the CEO of Verizon placing ads for people to sign up with Comcast. That CEO might as well get a job with Comcast.
I believe that civil unions afford those rights. I believe they will not be satisfied until marriage means between any consenting adults.
We well just have to see where 'getting with the times' takes us. I don't think the Church wants to go there.
BTW the Church has acknowledged that their condemnation of Galileo was wrong but I ask you how many people believed his theory in the 1600's?
The Jesuits are famous for their studies of astronomy and have some of the most sophisticaed equipment.
And finally, were is it written that using contrception is a mortal sin? I am not aware of that. In fact I have always understood that policies of the Church are just that policies but we all have a conscience and are expected to use it in our lives.
The whole issue of "marriage" will not be something most religiously conservative folks will embrace with any sort of enthusiasm, granted. However, there were other issues that they were as adamantly against in the past, which did come into being, and the sky didn't fall--though I suspect many of them will argue that we're worse off for it as a society. And, with regards to their perception of how our society ought to be, they're "right."
The Catholic Church, like any other well-established institution, is naturally going to be resistant to any sort of change that is a potential challenge to its authority. After all, it is following and proclaiming a doctrine that it genuinely believes it eternal and not subject to change over time but we see, in practice that this isn't necessarily so...which is why I was using Galileo as an illustrative example.
You'd likely know better than I where a proclamation against contraception is "written." To my understanding it's not--but is traditionally accepted in the overall Catholic community as a "mortal sin." Now, the general perception by non-believers is that the Church is trying to have it both ways by condemning abortion as an abomination, and preaching against contraception as, "thwarting God's will," (emphasis mine, not the church's.) I realize what they're trying to achieve is to prevent sex-out-of-wedlock, and while that's an admirable goal, it's not a "realistic" one.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Virtually all modern dictionaries include SSM. More to the point, we're talking about LEGAL marriage, in which religion is meaningless and which requires state recognition in every case.

The ONLY way to have legal parity with marriage is to have access to it. Separate but equal has never worked, and it ain't gonna start now.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
noun: marriage;&#8195;
the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
You do want to change the definition of marriage and I believe you should have all your rights.

“That rug tied the room”

Since: Aug 09

together--did it not...?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are grumpy's messages!
Do unto others etc. is for your favorite masochist.
Love your neighbor etc. is for your neighbor who enjoys masturbating.
Hah-hah!

Well stated and noted for future reference "Grump!"

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

What do you think dictionaries do? They frequently update to include new or evolved meanings. Otherwise they are irrelevant.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The use of same gender is relatively new to suit the American thought process.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

cpeter1313 wrote:
What do you think dictionaries do? They frequently update to include new or evolved meanings. Otherwise they are irrelevant.
<quoted text>
The US Government has shut down.
October 1, 2013
What about the banks?
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Dishonest thing, isn't she?

Who reads the first definition of a word and ignores all the rest and still believes in their personal falsehood? Mendacious people, that's who.

My next question to her, had she responded, would've been to ask what she thought marriage consisted of prior to the 1300s/14th Century. And, had she not noticed there was a longer year span between 1AD and the 1300s than there was between the 1300s and the 20th Century?

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Was that just a bad haiku?

Since the banks aren't government agencies, they're just fine. There will be some effect, but nothing that bring about another depression--no thanks to the teabaggers.
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
The US Government has shut down.
October 1, 2013
What about the banks?
Ink

Bensalem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The don't. THAT is the problem.
They should and could.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min flack 1,080,462
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr sweets2360 224,181
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Trojan 26,673
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Thu jessirinneyswift 9
UMES Basketball Forward Ishaq Pitt Named to NAB... Thu Dana McCarty 1
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Thu RICK SERVICE 26
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Jul 20 Danny 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••