Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310384 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#311876 Sep 22, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
"I want to buy the book 'Zealot but after seeing a short blurb from the author, I don't think I am going to like what he has to say."
All the more reason to read what he has to say. Likes, dislikes aside, challenging points of view are what allow us to explore more thoroughly our own belief systems, and make us ask ourselves questions we'd rather avoid.
I recall hearing about this book on NPR a couple of months ago and thinking, didn't Hugh J. Schonfield already cover this in his book, "The Passover Plot?"
But apparently this author's got something of a different "take" on the material at hand.
If you don't want to buy it "Ink," I'm pretty sure your local library has it...
"All the more reason to read what he has to say. Likes, dislikes aside, challenging points of view are what allow us to explore more thoroughly our own belief systems, and make us ask ourselves questions we'd rather avoid."

Oh, absolutely.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#311877 Sep 22, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay so how does the persecution in the rest of the world like the 200 who were shot today at a mall in Kenya because they weren't Muslims compare with a couple being refused by someone to take their picture or make a ke for them?
Be glad to have this conversation.

You're taking a very narrow view of this issue. Is that the ONLY discrimination gay people face these days? What about the gay boy (man) who was beaten and dragged to his death and hung on some fence? He was one example of individuals being murdered for being gay. How many do you think we don't find out about? What about the lesbian women who have been gang raped just because they are gay?

I think you're more concerned and empathetic about crimes against people for religious reasons rather than non-religious hate crimes. According to your religion being gay is a sin anyway so why feel anything for those people, right? But if someone is victimized because of their religion then it's a huge deal. In that case I think the Jews get the top prize. How can you compare the number of deaths perpetrated in the Holocaust to a mere 200 mall deaths? I mean, that seems to be your logic on this issue.

Gays became more open in recent years so they became the target du jour. Muslims were behind 9/11 so it became fashionable to hate on them. Tomorrow? Who know who will be next..

www.civilrights.org

"Of all hate crimes reported in 2007, the proportion committed against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals rose to 16.6 percent..."

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311878 Sep 22, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The author admits he is guessing but it should be interesting anyway. I have a gift certificate at Barnes & Nobles and am either going to get this book or 'Killing Jesus.' Maybe both.
If you want them both then you should get both...just my 2 cents. I love books, I can't buy enough of them...lol.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311879 Sep 22, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
"All the more reason to read what he has to say. Likes, dislikes aside, challenging points of view are what allow us to explore more thoroughly our own belief systems, and make us ask ourselves questions we'd rather avoid."
Oh, absolutely.
I think we should all read it and then we can have a book discussion.

:)

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#311880 Sep 22, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense, Inky. I've posted with Morgana for quite a while now. I think she's very serious, not to mention spot-on in her assessments. She also has a great sense of humor, not that YOU would notice. I like Morgana. I DON'T like you.
The way I see it, the only ones spouting hogwash are those on the ANTI-CHOICE side, yourself included.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Right back at you Ocean!!

Ink amazes me. It is scary how religion can skew ones thinking. I mean really...the book and religion they follow is so full of male hierarchy and misogyny that it literally jumps off the pages!!

Years ago when I was weighing things out and involved in community politics I met a woman who was quite active in the same. I really admired her stamina and her ability to stand up against outdated thinking. At one caucus she formed a sub-caucus endorsing a candidate for president (Jerry Brown who I really admire) along with prochoice/womens rights to the laughter of the male senators and congressmen attending. She marched right through them smiling. After awhile we became friends and she informed my she was an atheist who formally was a catholic. After discussion she encouraged me to read the bible, she did not state any opinion just encouragement. I got out the bible along with a bible dictionary and started reading. I was stunned! Then I became angry that anyone would subject a girl to this fcked up book! To further my research I went to the library and took out every bible I could get and started cross referencing and discovered how they all differed in language and tried to clean up and distance themselves from KJ. I knew then as I know now that it is nothing more than fictional concepts written and authored by men. End of story :)

Minneapolis

#311881 Sep 22, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody misses your point. Maybe because you never have one.
Everybody??? Everybody who lives in denial equipped with a book and directed by a religion loaded with male hierarchy and misogyny perhaps!
Ocean56

AOL

#311882 Sep 22, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
Right back at you Ocean!!
Ink amazes me. It is scary how religion can skew ones thinking. I mean really...the book and religion they follow is so full of male hierarchy and misogyny that it literally jumps off the pages!!
Years ago when I was weighing things out and involved in community politics I met a woman who was quite active in the same. I really admired her stamina and her ability to stand up against outdated thinking. At one caucus she formed a sub-caucus endorsing a candidate for president (Jerry Brown who I really admire) along with prochoice/womens rights to the laughter of the male senators and congressmen attending. She marched right through them smiling. After awhile we became friends and she informed me she was an atheist who formally was a catholic.
Yep, I feel the same way as your friend; an atheist/secularist (I like both terms so I mix them up). I feel I was very lucky to realize what a load of misogynist BULL Catholicism is and be able to reject all of its toxic baggage before it ruined the quality of my life. Why ANY woman would want to chain herself to such a backward religion is beyond me, but thankfully I'M not chained to it any longer, nor will I ever be.

To me, Ink, sASSy, and Knutter (aka HuskerDu or whatever name she's using this week) are all cut from the same anti-choice/religionist mold. They all defend that toxic church and try and sell us the CON JOB that the Catholic Church cares about women. Well, they're free to believe whatever nonsense they want. Thank goodness I don't have to do the same. I think it's wonderful how much freedom women have when we AREN'T mentally chained to a backward religion like Catholicism.
worships reality

AOL

#311883 Sep 22, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want them both then you should get both...just my 2 cents. I love books, I can't buy enough of them...lol.
reading them on the other hand is a whole other story, eh bigot? lol...
worships reality

AOL

#311884 Sep 22, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't appear to think at all. You bow to male hierarchy and demand unselfishness, subservience and submissiveness from women. Now how about those catholic doctors resolving and putting a stop to 500,000 spontaneous abortions a year....are you not concerned about those little babies? Or is it simply fine and dandy that they die so horribly??
as soon as those catholic doctors resolve to put a stop to the thousands who die of heart attacks and cancer every year. are you equating the body's natural biological rejection of a pregnancy to deliberate killing?
does the waiter who brings you your steak medium instead of medium well do so only because you are a woman? you need to get a hold of your paranoid self. you see misogynists under your bed you loony.
worships reality

AOL

#311885 Sep 22, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, there is no anger. Just astonishment at the stupidity of you people.
And neither Foo nor I are here 24/7. Why must you lie?
ok, 22/7 then. 61,000 posts over the course of 6 years is almost 30 posts a day, every day. do the math. you don't do that being on here once in a while. get a life, please.
worships reality

AOL

#311886 Sep 22, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course she didn't. She'd have had to admit that her question was stupid if she had.
One of those men was killed by a group merely because they didn't like the fact that he'd dyed his hair pink.
100% of LGBT people face the possibility of death on the whim of others. Daily.
And, actually, you can't say the same for embryos/fetuses.
of course you can say the same thing. how many embryos/fetuses are killed every year as opposed to lgbt people? and even the embryos/fetuses who are permitted to live were and are, still subject to the whim of a woman changing her mind about remaining pregnant.
one can certainly say the same thing about embryos/fetuses. in fact even "more" so. since killing embryos/fetuses for "any" reason, is legal.

your stupidity is astounding, truly.
worships reality

AOL

#311887 Sep 22, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. Gays are killed for being gay, whites are killed for being white, and blacks are killed for being black. People are killed because their killers were bored. Doctors are killed because of the procedure they perform. Women are killed because they didn't get someone a beer fast enough. Christians are killed because they preach tolerance in countries which don't have any.
None of these things is okay.
you'd know about discrimination, wouldn't you shovel? you anti-semite.
feces for jesus

East Meadow, NY

#311888 Sep 22, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Babies available for adoption are becomming a rarity.
I love how sassy thinks adoption is a piece of cake. I'd like to know how many children sassy has adopted, but she will never answer. The cost to adopt is quite high. She talks a big talk, but that's all she is... all talk and little action.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311889 Sep 22, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
reading them on the other hand is a whole other story, eh bigot? lol...
Now what was the point of your post? I say I love books and you call me a bigot? Totally...pointless. And assholish.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311890 Sep 22, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, 22/7 then. 61,000 posts over the course of 6 years is almost 30 posts a day, every day. do the math. you don't do that being on here once in a while. get a life, please.
Here's an equation for you...Your God created everything (according to your dogma), so your God created rats and parasites, and then your God's rats and parasites spread your God's Black Death, so your God was responsible for killing off an entire 3rd of Western Europe, so your God wiped out 20 million people.

And then that wasn't enough to satisfy your God's bloodlust so he wiped out 50 million people in 1918 via the Spanish flu.

Your God is the most prolific mass murderer in history so why continue to be a hypocrite and bitch about abortion? If your God gave a shit in the first place he wouldn't allow a conception that will end in miscarriage...ya dumbastard.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311891 Sep 22, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
How convenient for you to whine about something like this when you hide within a gray box so nobody will know how much space you've wasted here.

And your buddy Dry Husk changes names minute to minute but manages to be a prolific bloviator, so maybe you should find better things to do besides piss and moan about non-issues...like maybe bathe once in awhile.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

#311892 Sep 22, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
you'd know about discrimination, wouldn't you shovel? you anti-semite.
You clearly are bigoted against anyone who is more intelligent than you...which is most everyone so that must keep you pretty busy spreading the hate.

Minneapolis

#311894 Sep 22, 2013
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
as soon as those catholic doctors resolve to put a stop to the thousands who die of heart attacks and cancer every year. are you equating the body's natural biological rejection of a pregnancy to deliberate killing?
does the waiter who brings you your steak medium instead of medium well do so only because you are a woman? you need to get a hold of your paranoid self. you see misogynists under your bed you loony.
catholic doctors are not concerned with pregnant women having heart attacks or cancer. They would just as soon they die as long as they can salvage the fetus.

Yes I am equating the bodies rejection of pregnancy. The woman/girls brain is part of her body is it not? The problem you have is not caring about 500,000 spontaneous abortions, but caring deeply if a woman/girl uses her mind in the rejection of pregnancy.

Religion is misogynistic. I have read the book it screams off the pages. Not my problem that you bow down to it and refuse the truth. Bow all YOU want, don't expect the same from me? Comprende?

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#311895 Sep 22, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe this sermon from playa was the beginning of the discussion. I don't see overseas mentioned anywhere.
You "believe" incorrectly and are loathe to admit when you are mistaken.

This is a serious character flaw, akin to lying.

How do you reconcile your blatant inability to be honest with the dogma you (pretend to) follow and expect others to?

Do you feel that going to confession incessantly erases all your sins, even though you refuse to "sin no more?"

Do you think G-d is stupid and is fooled by the little game you play?
Ink

Wynnewood, PA

#311896 Sep 22, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to lie.
I couldn't care less where the beginning was. The conversation wasn't limited to this country.
Still, that RESPONSE was obviously NOT the beginning.
Well when you talk about cake making and pictures, we are talking about American civil rights. Isn't that the truth?

Then by all means show where gays have been discriminated on the same par as other pursecutions.

You could start with the two hundred non Muslims shot and bombed in Kenya yesterday or the sixty Christian women and children killed leaving church in Pakistan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 24 min Earthling-1 6,518
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 57 min Grey Ghost 1,265,114
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr ChristineM 245,271
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr tom wingo 29,858
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... Aug 2 Brian_G 1,716
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jul 31 bernarlyn 33
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,844
More from around the web