Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 317481 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#311640 Sep 19, 2013
car wrote:
<quoted text>He's against it, you didn't reall all the interview. The New York Times issued a “Breaking News Alert,” followed by a story,“Pope Bluntly Faults Church’s Focus on Gays and Abortion.” Here is what the pope said:“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible.” He also said,“when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context.”
The pope is right that single-issue Catholics need to rise above their immediate concerns. He did not say we should not address abortion or homosexuality; he simply said we cannot be absorbed by these issues. Both the left and the right should heed his message.
The article in the New York Times says U.S. bishops will feel the pinch of these remarks as they often appear “to make combating abortion, gay marriage and contraception their top public policy priorities.” This is inaccurate. It is not the bishops who have made these issues front and center—it is the Obama administration. It would be more accurate to say the pope would find fault with the bishops if they did not resist these state encroachments on the religious-liberty rights of Catholics.
The pope also said the Church should be a “home to all” and not a “small chapel.” He did not mean by these words, as the Times alert said, that these remarks were a criticism of focusing on “doctrine, orthodoxy and a limited agenda of moral teachings.” In the previous paragraph, he speaks about “the sanctity of the militant church.” In the same paragraph where he mentions “small chapel,” he cites the “negative behavior” of priests and nuns, saying their conduct is that of an “unfruitful bachelor” and a “spinster.” He did not say what the Times attributed to him.
The pope wants us to reject abortion, and to help women who have had one to find peace with God. He wants us to reject gay marriage, but not gays because they are gay. Kudos to Pope Francis.
this is what the Pope meant, grumpy its the same thing in the Catachism, and what we have been saying for a long time, you guys think the Pope is noe very cool, when even Pope Benedict agrees with what he said.
Did the Pope say anything about Catholics minding their own business, Knut?

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#311641 Sep 19, 2013
I must say I am really liking this Pope Francis. He's far more moderate and "real' than his predecessor.

I feel he will truly benefit the RCC, and more closely represents the love and acceptance that Christ embodied, in my opinion.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311643 Sep 19, 2013
sassy jm wrote:
<quoted text>God says sex outside of marriage(fornication) is a sin. In fact GOD says it is a sin that if left unrepent, will cost that man or woman their eternity in heaven. You should know this Mr "I read and know my bible".
But fornicate folks will do. Catholics even. And when they do, you say, don't use a condom. Then -- the unwanted pregnancy which may end in abortion. Unwanted pregnancy and abortion could have been avoided if only they'd used a condom.

You give them no reason not to go ahead and choose abortion. They are going to hell for fornicating, going to hell for using a condom while fornicating, so might as well go with abortion since they're going to hell, anyway.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311644 Sep 19, 2013
LadiLulu wrote:
I must say I am really liking this Pope Francis. He's far more moderate and "real' than his predecessor.
I feel he will truly benefit the RCC, and more closely represents the love and acceptance that Christ embodied, in my opinion.
LaLa!

: D
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311646 Sep 19, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I didn't see it as exactly the same thing. And I don't. Basically anything you want to do can be called a civil right.
As I have said before, if you have a 'right' civil or otherwise to kill your own unborn child then everything else is minor.
Obviously you're anti-choice, meaning you want abortion to be illegal.

Do you also want to criminalize any activity which may endanger a pregnancy? Such as a job, like firefighter or police officer or race car driver or whatever activity you can think of -- water sports, smoking, drinking alcohol, cleaning the catbox, skydiving, etc.?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311647 Sep 19, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>What's the point of making it illegal, and therefore unsafe, if you're not going to prosecute the perpetrators?
Face it: Your mewling that women who get abortions 'shouldn't be prosecuted' doesn't make any kind of sense. You just want it illegal so that you can 'feel better' about it, and think you've accomplished something.
And as far as that's concerned, you 'don't want them punished', my hind portion. You want them to die from sepsis, so you don't have to get your hands dirty by sentencing them in the courts to the legal consequences for murder. Because those consequences are often DEATH. And the SCPL is supposed to be against that.
It's a huge hypocrisy, but then that pretty much explains your entire perspective.
Pfft.
Well done! I like this post.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311648 Sep 19, 2013
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Francis would want you to be sorry for what you did to your son Derick.
He'd also counsel you to discontinue supporting and promoting the execution of babies in the womb.
I forget, NR...what was my fictitious brother's name? It wasn't Pablo or Pedro. Something like that...
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311649 Sep 19, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You said
"There is no reason to make polygamy illegal where all parties are consenting adults."
How do you make something illegal if it is already illegal? You are confused.
The animal will probably have an advocate to speak for him.
"How do you make something illegal if it is already illegal?"

How do you equate an illegal act, such as murder, to a legal medical procedure, such as abortion?

(And obviously Bitner meant there is no reason polygamy should be illegal where all parties are consenting adults. Course, you know that and were just being a sh*t.)
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311650 Sep 19, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I didn't see it as exactly the same thing. And I don't. Basically anything you want to do can be called a civil right.
As I have said before, if you have a 'right' civil or otherwise to kill your own unborn child then everything else is minor.
"I said I didn't see it as exactly the same thing."

What is the difference between miscegenation being legal and same sex marriage being legal, regarding civil rights?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311651 Sep 19, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You see civil rights and gay rights as the same thing. I don't but I understand your comment from your point of view.
What is a "gay" right? What rights do you have that gay folks don't have?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#311652 Sep 19, 2013
Legal rights and moral rights? Two separate things...
STO

Vallejo, CA

#311653 Sep 19, 2013
LadiLulu wrote:
So far, so good.

Pope Francis wrote,“Given that — and this is the key point — God’s mercy has no limits, if you go to him with a sincere and repentant heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.”

“Reality is better than truth.”

Indianapolis

#311654 Sep 19, 2013
I can't donate blood because other people are idiots.
No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't donate blood because you are gay.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Indianapolis

#311655 Sep 19, 2013
And you would be wrong.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that civil rights means that all are guaranteed the right to freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Blacks did not have those rights for much too long. It was awrong that needed to be righted.
I believe that gays, unless they were black have always had those rights.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#311657 Sep 19, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't ask what the CURRENT consequences are, and you know it. You don't want abortion to be legal in any but very particular circumstances. Ergo, what do YOU propose as a consequence, or set of consequences, for seeking, obtaining, or performing an abortion, post-criminalization of the ones for which you don't approve of the woman's reasons?
Still waiting.
The poison they give children when
they say they are sick is criminal.
St Judes Childrens hospital is always
asking for donations. Watching those
children suffer is just stupid.
Parents know what their children need.
Take them home and nurture them.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#311658 Sep 19, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
The poison they give children when
they say they are sick is criminal.
St Judes Childrens hospital is always
asking for donations. Watching those
children suffer is just stupid.
Parents know what their children need.
Take them home and nurture them.
Go away, zef....you bore me.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#311659 Sep 19, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Actually everything he said is the same thing Benedict said. Nothing has changed. I get a kick out of how liberals are going bat crazy over this! They just don't know we have been telling them the same thing for years, they just refused to listen and now since Pope Frances is a rock star to them, they listen. Ya wanna know a little secret? The Pope still says abortion is murder and that same sex marriage is wrong.
Your funny-hatted guru is shilling for the flock to return to the fold, with a gooey message about a 'kinder, gentler church'.... in hopes that at least SOME of the 20% of Catholics who quit paying their dues, in the wake of the buggery scandals, will start paying again.

Next...

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#311660 Sep 20, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems people can be forced and coerced into doing something they don't want to do to satisfy someone else's rights.
Like religious brainwashing and your religious right to impose your religious brainwashed beliefs on others? Is that what you mean?

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#311661 Sep 20, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Actually everything he said is the same thing Benedict said. Nothing has changed. I get a kick out of how liberals are going bat crazy over this! They just don't know we have been telling them the same thing for years, they just refused to listen and now since Pope Frances is a rock star to them, they listen. Ya wanna know a little secret? The Pope still says abortion is murder and that same sex marriage is wrong.
I agree, why make a rock star out of a man from a misogynist religion devoted to male hierarchy? I certainly would not.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#311662 Sep 20, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the Pope say anything about Catholics minding their own business, Knut?
LOL!

No, he would never say that, but he/they will say anything in hopes to get a few more pennies thrown in the collection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Ms Sassy 1,601,248
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 hr Fuggleton 11,560
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr ROFLMAO 34,201
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Wed The pope 258,485
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep 14 Hellepsoaio 12
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep 12 Love 292
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 11 Rose of Tralee 201,880
More from around the web