Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Comments (Page 14,566)

Showing posts 291,301 - 291,320 of304,884
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311266
Sep 17, 2013
 
not a playa1965 wrote:
Regardless of how educated our daughters are, if they are considered state property when pregnant, they are not equal citizens. Period.
Exactly. And I think that is precisely how conservative and religious Republicans see women, as UNequal citizens, especially women who become pregnant. They will do their best to avoid stating it so bluntly in public, but I think that's what they believe about women in private.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311267
Sep 17, 2013
 
RoSesz wrote:
We disagree .
It's,a shame that killing one's offspring is the litmus,test fir equality ..But that what we have come to ..
No accomplishment if a woman ..like getting into Congress means a thing
It seems unless they support abortion..We most definitely disagree
Yes, we do disagree on this, because women's rights, including reproductive rights, is very important to me. As far as I'M concerned, the conservative women I mentioned DO NOT support the basic right of a woman to make her OWN choice regarding a pregnancy, no matter what that choice may be.

That's why I would never vote for politicians like Bachmann and Palin, even if they are women. They aren't politicians I respect, nor would I trust them with the power their offices gave them.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311268
Sep 17, 2013
 
Bitner wrote:
A citizen's civil rights are not left to popular vote. That is the "tyranny of the majority" that the founders were attempting to avoid.
Precisely, and that's what the religious extremists like Gtown and company want to see returned. They want THEIR idea of "morality" imposed on everyone. They couldn't care less about women's civil rights or those of anyone who didn't belong to their little club.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311269
Sep 17, 2013
 
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that abortion was used as the primary/preferred method, but by what Guttmacher reports many women do in fact use abortion as BC. Even if you discount the number of women that use other methods,
"Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant."
and
"Eight percent of women who have abortions have never used a method of birth control."
These numbers represent more than half of women whose method of BC, when they became pregnant, was abortion if they got pregnant.
You know as well as I do, Sue, that when people talk about women using abortion as birth control, that most of them DO mean they are using it as their primary means of birth control.

If you're not doing so, and the other poster didn't claim they're not ever using it as birth control, what is the point in your post?

By the way, I don't believe anyone has said induced abortion is NOT a method of birth control in the first place.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311270
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incapable of understanding the very basics of communication. You and I do not speak the same language since you insist on warping word definitions and twisting posts beyond recognition. Even as you admit your initial question, you're still adding to it and faking like I've not answered it. Drop the slimy bone. It's unattractive.
You are not cute or funny or intelligent. You're like a belligerent spoiled child wanting what s/he wants without concern for others.
And stop bothering me. I refuse to get on your merry-go-round. You show no respect to women anywhere when you think it's a problem for them to determine their own outcomes.
oh grow up. you can only be bothered if you allow yourself to be. scroll on past my posts if you don't want to be bothered. but understand this, your paranoid refusal to honestly answer as basic a question as there is says all we need to know about you.
the fact is willful acts on the part of men and women many times "do" directly result in pregnancy. even shovel recognized that willful acts result in pregnancy. she even added two ( IVF and turkey baster ) that i didn't mention.
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311271
Sep 17, 2013
 
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was (first...originally...initiate d as) ectopic, and then it was removed...aborted...discontinu ed...defunct...non-extant...de ad...
Shall I go on?
Or do you care to continue in this vein, regardless of brutally pertinent embarrassment on your part?
I'll be happy to oblige...
how do you know? why are you answering a question directed at playa regarding her ectopic pregnancy as if it was yours?
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311272
Sep 17, 2013
 
Ink wrote:
How can you critize such accomplished women who represent the great success of feminism? I would argue that these women and thousands more have found a way to have fullfilling successful, contributing lives without promoting killing unborn babies. You just don't want to believe it is possible.
Inky, you can defend regressive women like Schlafly, Bachmann, and Palin all you want. But guess what, I can still criticize them, whether YOU approve of my doing so or not. The way I see it, the only "accomplishment" Schlafly has is defeating the Equal Rights Amendment, which is hardly a contribution in my book. Bachmann and Palin don't meet my definition of successful or "contributing" either, so I would never vote for either of them. As far as I'M concerned, none of those women deserve any respect, so they aren't going to get any from me.

There are many women in politics I respect and whom I would vote for if I could; PROGRESSIVE women who are doing their best to PROTECT women's rights. Schlafly, Bachmann, and Palin don't meet that criteria for me, which is why they would NEVER get MY vote.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311274
Sep 17, 2013
 
STO wrote:
"Education and sorry to say not being responsible ..wITH freedoms cones responsibility .."
"PART IS,education but these people do not live in caves ...these things are all over the internet ...tve"
I think we agree that education is key. Then, access.
But many on your side do not want folks to be educated and they do not want birth control to be available. Many on your side outright lie; they preach birth control causes abortion. They say sex outside of marriage is a mortal sin, using a condom is a mortal sin, and abortion is a mortal sin. They call women murderers, having no clue why any particular woman had an abortion, then turn around and claim to hold these women's hands after they've guilted them into believing they are murderers.
If you want to see abortion become rare, then the lies have to stop.
Again, sex - ed for both women AND men is a must. And again, it's your side which claims sex ed leads to the irresponsibility you're talking about.
Your side advocates this vicious circle. Keep'um dumb, blame'um for not obeying, and take all of their choices away.
It doesn't work. Never has. Never will.
Brilliant, and spot-on, STO. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for putting it so perfectly.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311275
Sep 17, 2013
 
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
how do you know? why are you answering a question directed at playa regarding her ectopic pregnancy as if it was yours?
I know, because I know what an ectopic pregnancy is, and how it is treated.

Do you?
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311277
Sep 17, 2013
 
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that abortion was used as the primary/preferred method, but by what Guttmacher reports many women do in fact use abortion as BC. Even if you discount the number of women that use other methods,
.
The numbers do not show anything more than statistics of abortions. To make the jump and claim that women use abortion as a form of birth control is utter lunacy. I doubt many women actually think "oh yeah, i don't mind having an abortion. This is my form of birth control."

You're just making this totally off the wall claim about girls and women you don't know and will never know. it is total BS.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311278
Sep 17, 2013
 
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
You know as well as I do, Sue, that when people talk about women using abortion as birth control, that most of them DO mean they are using it as their primary means of birth control.
If you're not doing so, and the other poster didn't claim they're not ever using it as birth control, what is the point in your post?
By the way, I don't believe anyone has said induced abortion is NOT a method of birth control in the first place.
The point of her post, of course, is that she's wrapped up in the fact that some women have abortions for reasons of which she doesn't approve. Sue appears to enjoy bouncing her heels off the floor about that, and wants the rest of us to do the same.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311279
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course then there is this:
NWL demands full control over the decision to have children. We want free and full access to all forms of birth control, including contraception and abortion."
Here is the next sentence that I left out yesterday:
"We want to make these decisions without pressure to have children, to go on Depo-Provera, to take hormones, or to get sterilized."
http://www.womensliberation.org/priorities/ab ...
What's left? Abstinence and abortion.
It just grinds your gears that some women don't want to be inundated with artificial hormones, practice total abstinence (even within marriage), or have their organs removed, in order to make you happy.

Poor thing.
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311280
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have a habit of answering posts to other people, but ignoring the post to you.
What about those APGAR tests? These being done on fetuses now a days?
Care to elaborate how *you* determined I wanted babies tested for weird reasons dreamed up in *your* head?
I don't know what you are talking about. I said that a fetus would have all the capabilities as a newborn if allowed to live and this was your answer. Maybe you can explain your meaning.

"The fetus is an unknown quantity until live birth. Yes, technology allows us to see inside the womb, even to perform surgery, but there is still a huge X Factor involved regarding fetus' capabilities until the newborn can be held and tested. You know this.

The line is drawn at live birth for various reasons. The link I supplied for you has many other links included. A person could spend productive hours learning instead of wasting time hurling insults. jmo"

I also asked "what insults" and you didn't answer me.
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311281
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>No Inkstain, technically you believe in a triad. That's NOT "one".
More of the same shit, different day.
You can't explain it, because you dont understand it yourself, and THATS the fact.
I believe in an All Powerful God who can manifest Himself any way he wants. Consider it explained.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311282
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in an All Powerful God who can manifest Himself any way he wants. Consider it explained.
And the same can be said in any religion that has a triune Deity, can't it? The only difference is that other religions don't pretend that three in one is "really" only ever one.
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311283
Sep 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Inky, you can defend regressive women like Schlafly, Bachmann, and Palin all you want. But guess what, I can still criticize them, whether YOU approve of my doing so or not. The way I see it, the only "accomplishment" Schlafly has is defeating the Equal Rights Amendment, which is hardly a contribution in my book. Bachmann and Palin don't meet my definition of successful or "contributing" either, so I would never vote for either of them. As far as I'M concerned, none of those women deserve any respect, so they aren't going to get any from me.
There are many women in politics I respect and whom I would vote for if I could; PROGRESSIVE women who are doing their best to PROTECT women's rights. Schlafly, Bachmann, and Palin don't meet that criteria for me, which is why they would NEVER get MY vote.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
So we can just disregard the success and accomplishments of women who aren't pro abortion. I think you would vote for Al-Assad as long as he was pro abortion.
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311284
Sep 17, 2013
 
worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
oh grow up. you can only be bothered if you allow yourself to be. scroll on past my posts if you don't want to be bothered. but understand this, your paranoid refusal to honestly answer as basic a question as there is says all we need to know about you.
the fact is willful acts on the part of men and women many times "do" directly result in pregnancy. even shovel recognized that willful acts result in pregnancy. she even added two ( IVF and turkey baster ) that i didn't mention.
My "paranoid refusal"?

I answered your question as it was asked, when it was asked. End of topic.

Here's a hint for *you* since you're so readily handing these out for others. Stop trying to control that which is not yours to control.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311285
Sep 17, 2013
 
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
And the same can be said in any religion that has a triune Deity, can't it? The only difference is that other religions don't pretend that three in one is "really" only ever one.
I guess Ink prefers her mythology convoluted, dense with contradiction, and served with an extra-large helping of condemnation.

To each her own...

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311286
Sep 17, 2013
 
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
So we can just disregard the success and accomplishments of women who aren't pro abortion. I think you would vote for Al-Assad as long as he was pro abortion.
If their 'success and accomplishments' consist mostly of efforts to curtail abortion rights? I prefer to despise those efforts. And I hold those efforts in negative regard.

Women who disagree with abortion, and therefore don't contemplate, seek, or obtain abortion, are worthy of much respect...as long as they don't go around trying to relieve the rest of us of the right to one.

All women have the right to choose. Even if they don't choose abortion. Imagine that!!
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#311287
Sep 17, 2013
 
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you are talking about. I said that a fetus would have all the capabilities as a newborn if allowed to live and this was your answer. Maybe you can explain your meaning.
"The fetus is an unknown quantity until live birth. Yes, technology allows us to see inside the womb, even to perform surgery, but there is still a huge X Factor involved regarding fetus' capabilities until the newborn can be held and tested. You know this.
The line is drawn at live birth for various reasons. The link I supplied for you has many other links included. A person could spend productive hours learning instead of wasting time hurling insults. jmo"
I also asked "what insults" and you didn't answer me.
A few people were discussing the philosophical differences between human embryo/fetus and human being when you jumped in with your claim that if left alone, there is no difference between a fetus and infant.

Of course, one can only claim this if they ignore the physiological changes between fetus and newborn during live birth. I'd said this in reply:
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
The fetus is an unknown quantity until live birth. Yes, technology allows us to see inside the womb, even to perform surgery, but there is still a huge X Factor involved regarding fetus' capabilities until the newborn can be held and tested. You know this.
The line is drawn at live birth for various reasons. The link I supplied for you has many other links included. A person could spend productive hours learning instead of wasting time hurling insults. jmo
And retorted back with this:
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I will let you spend productive hours trying to defend abortion. I am concerned that your attitude suggests that some lives are worth less than others and you can find that out by testing.
Now, I'm not sure *why* you'd think this when it's obvious in my post I was referring to the APGAR tests done on newborns. Yesterday I asked you to elaborate your thought process. Today is a new day. Doubt you'd be up to explaining what I find a weird thought process.

Regarding your rhetorical question of insults, I, uh, took it as rhetorical.

Are you up to speed now, Ink? Understand what's going on? If you need further explanation, please refer back a few pages and read for yourself. And have a nice day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 291,301 - 291,320 of304,884
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,071,132
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 34 min Buck Crick 222,980
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 26,609
Do you need a loan of any kind?we will be very ... (Aug '13) Jul 7 mutedo 2
Best Logo in the America East Jul 3 Mike Sivo 1
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- Jul 2 Kelly 6
Antwon White - Guilty (Sep '07) Jul 2 the system smh 21
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••