Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
291,201 - 291,220 of 305,186 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Ink!"
Yeah, sorry I meant to get back to you earlier but things have become a tad hectic both at work and with the folks.
Ahh, well I guess you're starting off in the dark so I'll give you a quick rundown(which will thoroughly annoy "grumpy!") Mom's been in a bad way for quite awhile; hip/leg pains that have left her crippled. About a month and a half ago we finally made it to an orthopedic surgeon who, after an X-Ray, realized she'd fractured her hip--quite severely. So she's scheduled for an almost immediate hip replacement surgery. This was back in early August. She can't get clearance from her PCP, so we go to emergency at the facility where she's scheduled to have the procedure, and that gets us in.
She's in, get's the surgery, and then gets transferred to a hospital right down the road from my place for her rehab.
Dad, meanwhile, is out of his mind with worry, is prone to falling, and has quite a nasty fall on a brick floor, surrounded by ceramic flower pots. He spends six to eight hours alone, on the floor, until he can finally drag himself to bed. Upon hearing this I said, "That's it, you're going to see a doctor tomorrow!" Earliest appt I can get isn't until two days from my call, but I get him in, the Nurse Practitioner doesn't like his EKG scans, and says we'd be better off going to emergency for a full series of tests. He puts up a fuss, and I say, "Look, let's take you up to where Mom is, and you can at least be together."
He complains but ultimately relents. He stays there for a week and a half, his cardiac tests come up negative, his neurological not so much, but nothing is specifically diagnosed. Mom finishes up her rehab--she's doing amazingly well--and they're both discharged on the same day...which is something of a relief(concern) for me as I think that they were better off where they were for the time being.
Now they're back at home, have P-T three times a week, and are both acting like a couple of four-year olds; screaming at one another about the most nonsensical, idiotic, petty B.S. you can imagine.
So, they're both driving me nuts--to put it mildly...
But thanks for the inquiry, I do appreciate the sentiment!
Best,
John.
I didn't have either one of my parents very long but I intend to live long enough to drive my kids nuts. LOL
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
The fetus is an unknown quantity until live birth. Yes, technology allows us to see inside the womb, even to perform surgery, but there is still a huge X Factor involved regarding fetus' capabilities until the newborn can be held and tested. You know this.
The line is drawn at live birth for various reasons. The link I supplied for you has many other links included. A person could spend productive hours learning instead of wasting time hurling insults. jmo
I will let you spend productive hours trying to defend abortion. I am concerned that your attitude suggests that some lives are worth less than others and you can find that out by testing.
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You say backwards religions, can you name a religion that you consider progressive. do you consider Wicca progressive because, as one poster said, they dance naked around may poles?
You can still honor May Day without the maypole.

“That rug tied the room”

Since: Aug 09

together--did it not...?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,
Now you have my interest. It's a big question. In all your reading, did you find something you can believe in? Would love to hear your opinions.
The hand is okay except for some nerve damage but that can take a long time to regenerate.
Evening "Ink."

Sorry for the delayed reply, but this is something that required quite a bit of reflection.
This is a question I've asked myself time and again--and have never been able to answer.

Do I "believe...?"

I don't know.

I do know that I do not believe in the Abrahamic concept of "God" that is the foundation of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. For some reason, my mind simply rebels at the notion of an all-powerful, all-knowing God who's embodied his favorite creations with "Free-Will."
As far as I can see, the two are mutually exclusive. If such a deity is omniscient, then "Free-Will" is little more than an illusion. Okay, the "person" doesn't know that they're not acting independently, but if the "person's" actions are already "known" then they're "predetermined." I also don't like how these religions from the Middle East place a greater value on people than on anything else "God" is supposed to have created--including the very Earth itself.
As I'd said earlier, if there was a structured system of beliefs that I would personally subscribe to, it'd probably be Taoism.
I simply recognize that I do not possess the level of self-discipline required to make that system of beliefs "meaningful" for me.

Best answer I could give...

;)

John.
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Evening "Ink."
Sorry for the delayed reply, but this is something that required quite a bit of reflection.
This is a question I've asked myself time and again--and have never been able to answer.
Do I "believe...?"
I don't know.
I do know that I do not believe in the Abrahamic concept of "God" that is the foundation of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. For some reason, my mind simply rebels at the notion of an all-powerful, all-knowing God who's embodied his favorite creations with "Free-Will."
As far as I can see, the two are mutually exclusive. If such a deity is omniscient, then "Free-Will" is little more than an illusion. Okay, the "person" doesn't know that they're not acting independently, but if the "person's" actions are already "known" then they're "predetermined." I also don't like how these religions from the Middle East place a greater value on people than on anything else "God" is supposed to have created--including the very Earth itself.
As I'd said earlier, if there was a structured system of beliefs that I would personally subscribe to, it'd probably be Taoism.
I simply recognize that I do not possess the level of self-discipline required to make that system of beliefs "meaningful" for me.
Best answer I could give...
;)
John.

Great answer and very thoughtful.

As you know I do believe in God as a Creator but I don't get hung up on the all knowing stuff and predetermination of everything. I believe that He does know how and when everything will end and who will turn to Him and who won't but I don't believe that He micro manages our lives. Therefore I do believe in free will and that our lives are truly ours.

Please don't take this as a challenge to what you said. I do respect your thoughts. That's why I asked.
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Ink!"
Yeah, sorry I meant to get back to you earlier but things have become a tad hectic both at work and with the folks.
Ahh, well I guess you're starting off in the dark so I'll give you a quick rundown(which will thoroughly annoy "grumpy!") Mom's been in a bad way for quite awhile; hip/leg pains that have left her crippled. About a month and a half ago we finally made it to an orthopedic surgeon who, after an X-Ray, realized she'd fractured her hip--quite severely. So she's scheduled for an almost immediate hip replacement surgery. This was back in early August. She can't get clearance from her PCP, so we go to emergency at the facility where she's scheduled to have the procedure, and that gets us in.
She's in, get's the surgery, and then gets transferred to a hospital right down the road from my place for her rehab.
Dad, meanwhile, is out of his mind with worry, is prone to falling, and has quite a nasty fall on a brick floor, surrounded by ceramic flower pots. He spends six to eight hours alone, on the floor, until he can finally drag himself to bed. Upon hearing this I said, "That's it, you're going to see a doctor tomorrow!" Earliest appt I can get isn't until two days from my call, but I get him in, the Nurse Practitioner doesn't like his EKG scans, and says we'd be better off going to emergency for a full series of tests. He puts up a fuss, and I say, "Look, let's take you up to where Mom is, and you can at least be together."
He complains but ultimately relents. He stays there for a week and a half, his cardiac tests come up negative, his neurological not so much, but nothing is specifically diagnosed. Mom finishes up her rehab--she's doing amazingly well--and they're both discharged on the same day...which is something of a relief(concern) for me as I think that they were better off where they were for the time being.
Now they're back at home, have P-T three times a week, and are both acting like a couple of four-year olds; screaming at one another about the most nonsensical, idiotic, petty B.S. you can imagine.
So, they're both driving me nuts--to put it mildly...
But thanks for the inquiry, I do appreciate the sentiment!
Best,
John.
It can be frustrating. A family friend is almost 90 years old, but quite stubborn in remaining independent. Although she's had both hips replaced (one only partially) and has a wheelchair when things are really bad and a walker when they're not so bad, she insists on using someone's elbow. But when she lets go, she's apt to fall! You try to get the seriousness of the situation across, but it's like talking with preschoolers at times. All you can do is laugh and enjoy the time together, though. LOL
Ink

Narberth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

John, this is one thing that would be a non starter for me in Taosim.

•Deity: While Taoists recognize a vast pantheon of gods and goddesses, they do not acknowledge any that are omnipotent or eternal. All the gods, including Laozi, are divine emanations of celestial energy.
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay so obviously the entire Bible is mistranslated.
I guess the translaters didn't know how to translate.
You should translate all of the old manuscripts for us. A weighty job but you probably have time.
I know you don't care about accuracy in your bible. You see it there in English and that is "the inspired word of god".
feces for jesus

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>It is a known fact that pagans have left newborns out to die of exposure. Pro aborts now are pushing if you don't think its a baby yet, even if its born, then you can dispose of the baby. An MSNBC announcer is well known for promoting infanticide.
It is a known fact that you're full of crap.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Ink wrote:
John, this is one thing that would be a non starter for me in Taosim.
•Deity: Taoists do not acknowledge any [deities] that are omnipotent or eternal.
Ink wrote:
I do believe in God as a Creator but I don't get hung up on the all knowing stuff and predetermination of everything.
Funny, since you don't get 'hung up' on omniscient or eternal, that the lack thereof is what makes Taoism a 'non-starter' for you.
Pot meet Kettle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between human embryo/fetus and a human infant is what, Ink? Live birth.
An infant has the capability of learning how s/he affects the world around him/her. Even when limited by physical/mental handicaps.
You look worse than any name ascribed to you by others when you refuse to research on your own.
Here's a page where you can start.
"However, human beings not only define themselves biologically and anatomically, but also in psychological, social, and spiritual terms.
Psychologically, humans have a highly developed brain capable of abstract reasoning, language, and introspection. Humans also are noted for their desire to understand and influence the world around them, seeking to explain and manipulate natural phenomena through science, philosophy, mythology, and religion. Humans also have a marked appreciation for beauty and aesthetics, and can use art, music, and literature to express concepts and feelings. Their mental capability, natural curiosity, and anatomy has allowed humans to develop advanced tools and skills; humans are the only known species to build fires, cook their food, clothe themselves, and use numerous other technologies.
Humans are inherently social animals, like most primates, but are particularly adept at utilizing systems of communication for self-expression, the exchange of ideas, and organization. They create complex social structures of cooperating and competing groups, ranging in scale from small families and partnerships to species-wide political, scientific, and economic unions, including complex systems of governance. Social interactions between humans have also established an extremely wide variety of traditions, rituals, ethics, values, social norms, and laws that form the basis of human society. Their ability to appreciate beauty and aesthetics, combined with the human desire for self-expression, has led to cultural innovations such as art, literature and music. Humans are notable for practicing altruistic behaviors not only towards relatives, but also others, including sometimes enemies and competitors. Males and females form monogamous pair bonds and raise their young in families where both parents protect and educate the youngsters. Humans have extended parental care, and pass on many attributes socially to their young.
Spiritually, humans have historically formed religious associations, characterized by belief in God, gods, or spirits, and by various traditions and rituals. Many religious perspectives emphasize soul, spirit, qi, or atman as the essence of a human being, with many holding that this inner essence survives the death of the physical body. For many, it is this inner essence that explains the unique psychological and social aspects of humans and is the principle characteristic differentiating humans from other animals."
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hum...
This is perfect. Where were you when playa was shootinng her mouth off about human beings not being at all superior to any other animal?
This pretty much blows that theory out of the water.
Good work !
Pot meet Kettle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

No Relativism wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see where bHitler conceded that "a human" (noun) exists in the womb?
She openly supports the intentional and brutal killing of these little humans.
She realized she just exposed how evil she is, so her pathetic argument was to say "a human is not the same thing as a human being."
Pick up a thesaurus. You'll see that "a human" (noun) and a human being are synonyms.
Damn she's dumb.
And.
Knowingly & willingly evil.
We all know Bitner isn't that bright. Nothing new there.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text> The country is being polarized, between 'conservative' and 'liberal', between 'colored' and 'white', between 'religious' and 'non-religious'...between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots', even between men and women. The whole nation has taken on an "If you're not with me, you're against me" attitude. Extremism is the new 'normal'.
And pushing our differences is not Only political fodder on both sides ..But profitable ...
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
This is perfect. Where were you when playa was shootinng her mouth off about human beings not being at all superior to any other animal?
Good work !
Try not to get too puffed up. Also from the link and right in line with what NAP and others were claiming:

"Humans have had a dramatic effect on the environment. The extinction of a number of species has been attributed to anthropogenic factors, such as human predation and habitat loss, and other negative impacts include pollution, widespread loss of wetlands and other ecosystems, alteration of rivers, and introduction of invasive species. On the other hand, humans in the past century have made considerable efforts to reduce negative impacts and provide greater protection for the environment and other living organisms, through such means as environmental law, environmental education, and economic incentives."
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hum...
Katie

Milton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Good work !
Also in that link was another link which states:

"The term religion (from Latin: religio meaning "bind, connect") denotes a set of common beliefs and practices pertaining to the supernatural (and its relationship to humanity and the cosmos), which are often codified into prayer, ritual, scriptures, and religious law. These beliefs and practices are typically defined in light of a shared canonical vocabulary of venerable traditions, writings, history, and mythology. As religious traditions are often deeply embedded into specific cultural contexts, these traditions often contain moral codes that outline the relationships that a believer is expected to cultivate with respect to themselves, other believers, outsiders, and the supernatural world. Finally, a common element of many religious traditions is the division of the world in two comprehensive domains, one sacred, the other profane.[1] In this context, religious thought and practice are aimed at delineating and reifying these two disparate realms through personal effort and/or communal ritual.

The social structure of the world's religious traditions can be roughly placed on continuum based on their respective levels of interpersonal involvement and social engagement. On one end of this scale would be the most inwardly-directed types, such as the desert saints of early Christianity and the ascetics of Hinduism. On the other hand, one would find the religious traditions that are most firmly entrenched in all aspects of personal, social, and juridical life, such as the medieval Catholic Church and the theocratic regimes of some Islamic states. All other religious traditions could be situated somewhere between these two poles. However, the multivalent interplay between the religious and secular spheres has caused some scholars to question the utility of the term "religion," as they claim that it presents these traditions in "a reified, essentialized fashion, isolated from the political, social, economic, and cultural worlds within which they are embedded."[2]

Given its ubiquity in human affairs and world history, religion has been a perennially controversial topic for generations. The subject of religion can induce a range of responses from love, compassion and goodwill, to fear, loathing, and xenophobia. Indeed, religion can be seen as something of a paradox, as it simultaneously contains both humanity's most sublime moral and spiritual teachings, as well as grim remnants of intolerance and patriarchy that foster hatred and horror. Thus, despite the growing dangers of religious fundamentalism, the world's religions continue to be treasure chests of spiritual resources for making a positive impact on world affairs."
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Rel...

And what does all that mean? That NAP, Bitner, and others have a similar set of beliefs, but distinct from Christian beliefs in that they don't believe humanity is to hold *dominion* over the world based only its uniqueness.

Sorry the link(s) didn't blow any theories out of the water like you'd so badly hoped. Sorry, too, you weren't able to understand that before you smugly posted.

:-/
Mr payson Victor

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

ARE YOU IN NEED OF LOAN SERVICES?
If so I put it to you that you are in the right place
were that
is done.
so if you are really in need of this service
offered by this company just enter the form below
and get it back to
us immediately.
LOAN APPLICATION FORM, BORROWER'S
INFORMATION
First Name:_________
Last Name:_________
Marital status:_________
Contact Address:_________
City/Zip code:_________
Nationality:_________
SEX:_________
Date of Birth:_________
Amount Needed as Loan:_________
Loan Duration:_________
Monthly Income/Yearly Income:_________
Purpose for Loan:_________
Phone:_________
Fax No:_________
Enter this form with current and correct data and
send
back to us through our company email as,
teresalawrence07@gmail.com
regards
Mr payson Victor

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Mr payson Victor | 1 min ago
ARE YOU IN NEED OF LOAN SERVICES?
If so I put it to you that you are in the right place
were that
is done.
so if you are really in need of this service
offered by this company just enter the form below
and get it back to
us immediately.
LOAN APPLICATION FORM, BORROWER'S
INFORMATION
First Name:_________
Last Name:_________
Marital status:_________
Contact Address:_________
City/Zip code:_________
Nationality:_________
SEX:_________
Date of Birth:_________
Amount Needed as Loan:_________
Loan Duration:_________
Monthly Income/Yearly Income:_________
Purpose for Loan:_________
Phone:_________
Fax No:_________
Enter this form with current and correct data and
send
back to us through our company email as,
teresalawrence07@gmail.com
regards
Mr Payson Victor.
frank

Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

God
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Ink wrote:
When you say "ANY" you mean all. Is that right?
No, it is NOT right. I said that ANY religion that treats women like mindless baby factories and forbids all forms of contraception is a backward religion.

I know the Catholic Church is only ONE such religion, but there are quite a few other backward religions that treat women this way. Still, I know that NOT all religions have that archaic view of women, so no, I DON'T mean "all." Get it now?

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Ocean56

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
Every Christian I know,sent their kids,to college ..or is being to do so..this guy is a throwback.
True, this guy Alleman is a throwback, but he isn't the ONLY one. I think that idiot Rick Santorum is another throwback, his public "contraception is not okay" statement being proof of his backward mindset. Mitt Romney is yet another one, one of the main reasons why I and many other women DIDNT' vote for him.

Personally, I think a lot of religious conservative guys, including Republican politicians, believe the same nonsense as Alleman, even if they don't state it publicly. IMO any person who seriously believes women should NOT go to college, who believes women should ONLY be wives and mothers, is a person who should never be trusted with power that the office of Congressman, Senator, Governor, and President would give him.

As someone (I don't remember who) said, a woman with NO rights is a slave. I'll take being an "angry feminist" over being a slave every day of the week.

Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 27 min THE DEVIL 1,085,043
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min religionisillness 224,741
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Trojan 26,759
Charlotte Hornets: Does Josh Davis Deserve a Ro... Thu TJS 1
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jul 30 Robert Z 278
K-State's Stephen Hurt adapting to new surround... Jul 29 Monica 2
loan offer with low interest Jul 28 Pastor james 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••