Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday 307,057
Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision. Full Story
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310633 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Explain the lawsuits by students who have been told they can't wear certain jewelry. Explain the harassment by parents when they hear the Our Father at commencements. Explain why a student was sent home for wearing a pro life shirt , or told not to have pro life clubs. Explain why kids are harassed for having a prayer vigil around the American Flag BEFORE school. Explain why a Muslim can wear a scarf in class but a student can't bring their rosary to school, or have a religious saying on a t shirt.
http://txvalues.org/2013/07/25/san-antonio-lo...

Comments anyone?

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#310634 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my point. The hostility toward Christians is becomming obvious and commonplace.
I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310635 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
You must be right.

Atrisco Village

#310637 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be right.
Quite sure that I am. Thanks for your humility, Ink. Mighty Christian of you; let's hope it catches on with your peers.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310640 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
Do you think Canada is handling it right?

http://www.newsdaily.com/canada/9ac6e1ac36481...
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310641 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>They are persacuted , esp from people like you at abortion clinics, on tv, whoopie goldberg is really good at it. I was walking into a church and someone yelled filthy names at us for being Catholic. Yeah, it happens everyday in the U.S..
Elise says that never happens and she must be right.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310642 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>And it is going to get worse unless people start respecting Christians in the work place and schools.I heard of children being harassed walking home from school being called bigots because they had school uniforms on. Forcing children to believe same sex marriage is normal. Having children being told that the religion their family believes in is wrong, and the parents are wrong. There are tv personalities qwho cut down people of faith, tell filthy jokes about Christians and how Obama takes down a Crucifix at Notre Dame where he is making a speech and the big one, Obama will not do anything to suppress the torture of Christians in Muslim countries.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/09/persecution-of-chr...

Atrisco Village

#310643 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>They are persacuted , esp from people like you at abortion clinics, on tv, whoopie goldberg is really good at it. I was walking into a church and someone yelled filthy names at us for being Catholic. Yeah, it happens everyday in the U.S..
I'm a critic of all organized religion and have made that quite clear. As for your organization, it is a fact that the Catholic Church is, unfortunately, a perpetrator of many un-Christian and criminal actions, and therefore, is subject to widespread and justified criticism. Your religious organization is huge, powerful and immensely rich, and is not a victim, my dear. You don't know what persecution is, obviously. As for your alleged personal experience of being yelled at, well, if you Christians can yell at people outside of women's clinics, why can't people yell at people outside if a church? That's not persecution, honey. Again, you have no idea what persecution is. Buck up, don't be so soft.

Atrisco Village

#310644 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Canada is handling it right?
http://www.newsdaily.com/canada/9ac6e1ac36481...
No. People, including public servants should be able to wear what they want, imo. As long as they don't try to lead prayer as public officials, they aren't pushing their beliefs on others. Jmo.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310645 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a critic of all organized religion and have made that quite clear. As for your organization, it is a fact that the Catholic Church is, unfortunately, a perpetrator of many un-Christian and criminal actions, and therefore, is subject to widespread and justified criticism. Your religious organization is huge, powerful and immensely rich, and is not a victim, my dear. You don't know what persecution is, obviously. As for your alleged personal experience of being yelled at, well, if you Christians can yell at people outside of women's clinics, why can't people yell at people outside if a church? That's not persecution, honey. Again, you have no idea what persecution is. Buck up, don't be so soft.
So if Christians can be verbally abused outside churches then gays and Jews can also be abused and called filthy names? Should they "Buck Up"?

Atrisco Village

#310646 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>And it is going to get worse unless people start respecting Christians in the work place and schools.I heard of children being harassed walking home from school being called bigots because they had school uniforms on. Forcing children to believe same sex marriage is normal. Having children being told that the religion their family believes in is wrong, and the parents are wrong. There are tv personalities qwho cut down people of faith, tell filthy jokes about Christians and how Obama takes down a Crucifix at Notre Dame where he is making a speech and the big one, Obama will not do anything to suppress the torture of Christians in Muslim countries.
No one is forcing anyone to believe in anything and your religious beliefs aren't being denied. People have as much right to criticize Christians as you have to criticize them. Maybe you folks should stop calling nonbelievers filthy names, also, huh, Knit and Pray? Look in the mirror, lady. Start with yourself.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310647 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>No. People, including public servants should be able to wear what they want, imo. As long as they don't try to lead prayer as public officials, they aren't pushing their beliefs on others. Jmo.
http://old.post-gazette.com/localnews/2003050...

Atrisco Village

#310648 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it never happens. I said, I haven't seen it in my community, at all. I said that where it happens, it is unfair. Those are my words. Why are you making things up? And, no, you don't get to construe an implication, if you intend to be honest. Please, don't be dishonest and manipulative.

Atrisco Village

#310649 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
So if Christians can be verbally abused outside churches then gays and Jews can also be abused and called filthy names? Should they "Buck Up"?
They have been "bucking up" for many, many years and still are, along with any number of others groups of which Christians do not approve...all in the name of God. If Christians can call people filthy names and harass them outside of clinics and other venues, it's hypocritical to get upset when they get the same treatment.
Katie

Kent, WA

#310650 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to re-read what Elise said.

She said she sees none of that in her community, but where ever it happens in the USA it's not fair.

Really, Ink, maybe you should stop admitting you don't pay attention and make a point to start paying attention. It really shows.

As for the article you linked regarding Quebec, apparently conformity means more than individualism. If Quebec is to be neutral, then its public workers need to be neutral, too. There are subtle religious symbols approved for wearing in public, according to the article. But the ostentatious symbols are not approved. Kinda like when most of Scarlett's friends were politely starving while she was having her mansion built. Her friends weren't too approving, either.

Quebec had been primarily Catholic until the 1960s, but the way I read it the religious tolerance wasn't aimed beyond Catholicism. Imagine that.
Katie

Kent, WA

#310651 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
So what happened with the lawsuit? That's from a decade ago. How was it resolved? And why didn't the woman just tuck her cross necklace under her collar? My necklaces stay tucked underneath my collar because they're personal to me, not to be on display ostentatiously.
bman

Washington, DC

#310652 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a critic of all organized religion and have made that quite clear. As for your organization, it is a fact that the Catholic Church is, unfortunately, a perpetrator of many un-Christian and criminal actions, and therefore, is subject to widespread and justified criticism. Your religious organization is huge, powerful and immensely rich, and is not a victim, my dear. You don't know what persecution is, obviously. As for your alleged personal experience of being yelled at, well, if you Christians can yell at people outside of women's clinics, why can't people yell at people outside if a church? That's not persecution, honey. Again, you have no idea what persecution is. Buck up, don't be so soft.
Wow, really? Gee I didn't know that because last time I checked, the Catholic Church raised more money for charity, volunteered more of their time to the poor, helped more poor single mothers than all the governments in the world combined. By the way, how much longer are you guys gonna bring up the sex abuse scandal when you talk about Catholicism, out of the 2000 years it existed? So every time I talk to a Turk about Turkey I should bring up the Armenian genocide? Every time I talk to a German about Germany I should bring up the Holocaust? Is it the Church and it's culture you are bringing up or the flaws that you seem to love to bring up, as if any other secular organization isn't as guilty or more guilty of scandals as well. How about those good old public schools covering up those teacher sex scandals to save their asses while also inviting Planned Parenthood to say, "Well if you have a condom you can have sex all you want with no children," which is a blatant lie. So how about saying bad things about the dirty laundry about Jews, blacks, Muslims, Asians or any other group? If not than you have proven my point that you are biased against Catholics and you belong to the same group that ridiculed my ancestors who came here from Europe 200 years ago by wealthy WASPs that were spewing the same garbage and lies about my religion in order to drive us out of the US. Sorry to say, it didn't happen then and it won't happen now. The Catholic Church has given more to society than you will ever be able to do in your life. Instead of hiding behind the keyboard attacking my religion, go help the Little Sisters of the Poor in Haiti or an adoption center in Detroit but you can't because you are a lazy coward.
Katie

Kent, WA

#310653 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
Oh, here's how it was resolved. Quickly, too.

"Speaking at a 2003 press conference in Pittsburgh, Nichol said, "We are fighting for the people in Iraq, for their freedom. We are losing our freedom."

The two sides settled after a judge said the policy showed "hostility toward religion" and probably violated Nichol's free-speech rights.

ARIN's board of directors approved the settlement and allowed Nichol to keep her job as an aide. Also in the settlement, ARIN agreed to remove any reference to Nichol's suspension from her job record, delete from its employee handbook rules prohibiting employees from wearing religious jewelry or clothing in the classroom and pay Nichol's legal fees.

In exchange, she dropped her federal court case, her complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and her collective-bargaining grievance.

Nichol, 52, this fall will begin her 15th year working for ARIN. She said the statute should be repealed.

"I think it's important to be able to have freedom of expression," she said. "In our country, that's one of the fundamental rights."

There is a difference, she said, between wearing a religious symbol and promoting a particular faith.

She still wears the same necklace and cross, but, she said this morning, "It's not what makes me a Christian. It's what I believe in my heart."
http://www.indianagazette.com/news/reg-nation...

From the same link above, here's what I found interesting. "PITTSBURGH (AP)-- Two state lawmakers are proposing to change a section of Pennsylvania law that bars public school teachers from wearing religious symbols in the classroom.

An Indiana County teacher's aide, who was deeply involved in that issue eight years ago, supports their efforts.

State Reps. Eugene DePasquale, D-York, and Will Tallman, R-Adams County, said only Pennsylvania and Nebraska still have such bans. The lawmakers say the 1895 law was adopted at a time of great prejudice against Catholics and Jews.

Under the law, a public school teacher who wears a cross, yarmulke or other religious symbol in the classroom could be suspended from teaching for one year, and multiple offenses could lead to permanent disqualification. School board members could be held criminally liable for failing to enforce the prohibition."

And that answers questions I had. See, too, Brenda Nichols could continue to wear her cross tucked into her collar without reprimand as I'd asked earlier.

A polite and tolerant society means just that. Polite and tolerant of all, not just those who conform to specific ideals.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#310654 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Explain the lawsuits by students who have been told they can't wear certain jewelry. Explain the harassment by parents when they hear the Our Father at commencements. Explain why a student was sent home for wearing a pro life shirt , or told not to have pro life clubs. Explain why kids are harassed for having a prayer vigil around the American Flag BEFORE school. Explain why a Muslim can wear a scarf in class but a student can't bring their rosary to school, or have a religious saying on a t shirt.
Child Gets Suspended For Being An Atheist

http://www.weareatheism.com/child-gets-suspen...

New 'Secular Safe Zone' Program to Defend Atheist Students

"Modeled after the LGBT safe zone programs, the project trains mentors in student communities to create safe, neutral places for students to talk about their doubts without fear of religious bullying."

http://www.secularstudents.org/SecularSafeZon...

Public Catholic school suspends students for wearing pro-choice stickers

"Seven students at a publicly funded Catholic school* in Thunder Bay, Ontario have been suspended from school for wearing homemade pro-choice t-shirts on a day that the school administration had devoted to a "pro-life" Day of Silence."

http://boingboing.net/2011/03/17/public-catho...

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#310655 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
That's funny since the Christians on here just love to call non-Christians "bigots" all the time.

I guess it's not harassment and bigotry when it's coming FROM a Christian only when it's directed to a Christian.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr johnplustwomore 1,155,536
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Bruin For Life 28,452
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 hr Eagle 12 233,043
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 6 hr Lora_14 10
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 hr sam 201,186
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 13 hr IBdaMann 2,731
Rashard Kelly's last-second putback gives No. 1... 18 hr dogman67156 1
More from around the web