Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday 306,187
Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision. Full Story
Katie

Kent, WA

#310626 Sep 10, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe it's a PSA campaign, aimed at reducing ignorance about Down's kids?(Some of the sweetest folks ever to grace the earth, by the way....)
Oh, they are very sweet. Used to babysit a 4yo with Down's and she was a heartbreaker. Didn't help her parents raised to be a wild child... kid went the bathroom on the furniture, liked to run around naked, same stuff younger kids usually do. But there seemed to be no discipline whatsoever.

And I was hired as a 15yo to babysit when Mom went out, even though Dad was still hanging around. I got pissed off when Dad tried to spank 4yo for wetting the bed. I mean really? They let her piss on the couch, but they're gonna spank her when she pees while sleeping? They were bad news and I quit after babysitting her twice.

But I liked her. She was a sweetie living in a nightmare, I'd imagine.
grumpy

Teaneck, NJ

#310627 Sep 10, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Ink!"
That was a nice sentiment. Thank you.
I enjoy talking to you as well, and confess that we don't do so often enough.
This will seem long-winded, but it will eventually tie-in to the rest of what you're saying.
My dad grew up Polish Catholic with a smattering of Ukrainian Orthodox on the L.E.S. in the 40's & 50's. My mom grew up Midwest Methodist in Ohio in the same period. Both of them felt as though they'd had religion crammed down their throats so when they were old enough to get out on their own, they both dropped their religious upbringings like a bad habit. There may be something of the same sentiment in the "hostility" you and some others feel you receive because you happen to "believe in God." Yet there is also the undeniable fact that some posters whom might place themselves in your category are guilty of some of the worst behavioral transgressions on here. While my parents never provided me with a religious upbringing, they also never prevented me from exploring an interest if one occurred--they seldom did, and were usually short-lived. I didn't find an interest in religion again until I was 19 and had finally, successfully made it through Frank Herbert's science fiction classic, "Dune." A story that's suffused with religion, and about how people, orders, and communities can actively manipulate religion, religious beliefs, superstitions, I found myself fascinated in a way I hadn't been before. Knowing that Herbert had based his main character Paul Muad'Dib primarily on two historical figures; Jesus, and T.E. Lawrence, I decided to try to learn as much as I could about them. This is what led me to reading the Bible, the Qur'an, learning about Buddhism, Hinduism, and the one I'd probably subscribe to if I had enough self discipline, Taoism.
I grin slightly because I somehow doubt that you'll find yourself banned; you've never violated Topix TOS that I can recall.
BTW, how's the hand? Did it heal well?
Best as always,
John.
I doubt that you read the Talmud. You don't include Judaism among the religions you have studied.
Pot meet Kettle

United States

#310628 Sep 10, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe it's a PSA campaign, aimed at reducing ignorance about Down's kids?(Some of the sweetest folks ever to grace the earth, by the way....)
Awww......really ? We needed you to tell us that ?

And you'd have supported any woman's right to abort any one of those "sweet folks" solely on the basis of their DS condition.

You make me want to gag you disgusting pretentious phony.
feces for jesus

Westbury, NY

#310629 Sep 10, 2013
Parents wrote:
<quoted text>
Your abuse has made you retarded.
Your God made you to be a snide, braindead twerp.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310630 Sep 10, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening "Ink!"
That was a nice sentiment. Thank you.
I enjoy talking to you as well, and confess that we don't do so often enough.
This will seem long-winded, but it will eventually tie-in to the rest of what you're saying.
My dad grew up Polish Catholic with a smattering of Ukrainian Orthodox on the L.E.S. in the 40's & 50's. My mom grew up Midwest Methodist in Ohio in the same period. Both of them felt as though they'd had religion crammed down their throats so when they were old enough to get out on their own, they both dropped their religious upbringings like a bad habit. There may be something of the same sentiment in the "hostility" you and some others feel you receive because you happen to "believe in God." Yet there is also the undeniable fact that some posters whom might place themselves in your category are guilty of some of the worst behavioral transgressions on here. While my parents never provided me with a religious upbringing, they also never prevented me from exploring an interest if one occurred--they seldom did, and were usually short-lived. I didn't find an interest in religion again until I was 19 and had finally, successfully made it through Frank Herbert's science fiction classic, "Dune." A story that's suffused with religion, and about how people, orders, and communities can actively manipulate religion, religious beliefs, superstitions, I found myself fascinated in a way I hadn't been before. Knowing that Herbert had based his main character Paul Muad'Dib primarily on two historical figures; Jesus, and T.E. Lawrence, I decided to try to learn as much as I could about them. This is what led me to reading the Bible, the Qur'an, learning about Buddhism, Hinduism, and the one I'd probably subscribe to if I had enough self discipline, Taoism.
I grin slightly because I somehow doubt that you'll find yourself banned; you've never violated Topix TOS that I can recall.
BTW, how's the hand? Did it heal well?
Best as always,
John.
Hey,

Now you have my interest. It's a big question. In all your reading, did you find something you can believe in? Would love to hear your opinions.

The hand is okay except for some nerve damage but that can take a long time to regenerate.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310631 Sep 10, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey John K ..glad to hear THEY are on the mend...what a difference
A few weeks makes .
God bless you all.
I also am glad things are better. Only from recent posts did I realize that they were having problems.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310632 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Explain the lawsuits by students who have been told they can't wear certain jewelry. Explain the harassment by parents when they hear the Our Father at commencements. Explain why a student was sent home for wearing a pro life shirt , or told not to have pro life clubs. Explain why kids are harassed for having a prayer vigil around the American Flag BEFORE school. Explain why a Muslim can wear a scarf in class but a student can't bring their rosary to school, or have a religious saying on a t shirt.
That was my point. The hostility toward Christians is becomming obvious and commonplace.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310633 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Explain the lawsuits by students who have been told they can't wear certain jewelry. Explain the harassment by parents when they hear the Our Father at commencements. Explain why a student was sent home for wearing a pro life shirt , or told not to have pro life clubs. Explain why kids are harassed for having a prayer vigil around the American Flag BEFORE school. Explain why a Muslim can wear a scarf in class but a student can't bring their rosary to school, or have a religious saying on a t shirt.
http://txvalues.org/2013/07/25/san-antonio-lo...

Comments anyone?

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#310634 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my point. The hostility toward Christians is becomming obvious and commonplace.
I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310635 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
You must be right.

Atrisco Village

#310637 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be right.
Quite sure that I am. Thanks for your humility, Ink. Mighty Christian of you; let's hope it catches on with your peers.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310640 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I see none of that in my community, at all. Wherever in the U.S. it happens, it is unfair. Of course, organized prayer during school activities is not allowed. In reality, Christians aren't persecuted in the U.S. There are a few fanatical "Christian" factions that draw criticism by everyone, including Christians. On the other hand, knee-jerk hostility to ALL things Muslim is commonplace and accepted. That is truly unfair. The vast majority of Muslims are peaceful, respectful people, but they are persecuted regularly. Let's be real.
Do you think Canada is handling it right?

http://www.newsdaily.com/canada/9ac6e1ac36481...
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310641 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>They are persacuted , esp from people like you at abortion clinics, on tv, whoopie goldberg is really good at it. I was walking into a church and someone yelled filthy names at us for being Catholic. Yeah, it happens everyday in the U.S..
Elise says that never happens and she must be right.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310642 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>And it is going to get worse unless people start respecting Christians in the work place and schools.I heard of children being harassed walking home from school being called bigots because they had school uniforms on. Forcing children to believe same sex marriage is normal. Having children being told that the religion their family believes in is wrong, and the parents are wrong. There are tv personalities qwho cut down people of faith, tell filthy jokes about Christians and how Obama takes down a Crucifix at Notre Dame where he is making a speech and the big one, Obama will not do anything to suppress the torture of Christians in Muslim countries.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/09/persecution-of-chr...

Atrisco Village

#310643 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>They are persacuted , esp from people like you at abortion clinics, on tv, whoopie goldberg is really good at it. I was walking into a church and someone yelled filthy names at us for being Catholic. Yeah, it happens everyday in the U.S..
I'm a critic of all organized religion and have made that quite clear. As for your organization, it is a fact that the Catholic Church is, unfortunately, a perpetrator of many un-Christian and criminal actions, and therefore, is subject to widespread and justified criticism. Your religious organization is huge, powerful and immensely rich, and is not a victim, my dear. You don't know what persecution is, obviously. As for your alleged personal experience of being yelled at, well, if you Christians can yell at people outside of women's clinics, why can't people yell at people outside if a church? That's not persecution, honey. Again, you have no idea what persecution is. Buck up, don't be so soft.

Atrisco Village

#310644 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Canada is handling it right?
http://www.newsdaily.com/canada/9ac6e1ac36481...
No. People, including public servants should be able to wear what they want, imo. As long as they don't try to lead prayer as public officials, they aren't pushing their beliefs on others. Jmo.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310645 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a critic of all organized religion and have made that quite clear. As for your organization, it is a fact that the Catholic Church is, unfortunately, a perpetrator of many un-Christian and criminal actions, and therefore, is subject to widespread and justified criticism. Your religious organization is huge, powerful and immensely rich, and is not a victim, my dear. You don't know what persecution is, obviously. As for your alleged personal experience of being yelled at, well, if you Christians can yell at people outside of women's clinics, why can't people yell at people outside if a church? That's not persecution, honey. Again, you have no idea what persecution is. Buck up, don't be so soft.
So if Christians can be verbally abused outside churches then gays and Jews can also be abused and called filthy names? Should they "Buck Up"?

Atrisco Village

#310646 Sep 10, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>And it is going to get worse unless people start respecting Christians in the work place and schools.I heard of children being harassed walking home from school being called bigots because they had school uniforms on. Forcing children to believe same sex marriage is normal. Having children being told that the religion their family believes in is wrong, and the parents are wrong. There are tv personalities qwho cut down people of faith, tell filthy jokes about Christians and how Obama takes down a Crucifix at Notre Dame where he is making a speech and the big one, Obama will not do anything to suppress the torture of Christians in Muslim countries.
No one is forcing anyone to believe in anything and your religious beliefs aren't being denied. People have as much right to criticize Christians as you have to criticize them. Maybe you folks should stop calling nonbelievers filthy names, also, huh, Knit and Pray? Look in the mirror, lady. Start with yourself.
Ink

Warminster, PA

#310647 Sep 10, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>No. People, including public servants should be able to wear what they want, imo. As long as they don't try to lead prayer as public officials, they aren't pushing their beliefs on others. Jmo.
http://old.post-gazette.com/localnews/2003050...

Atrisco Village

#310648 Sep 10, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Elise says that never happens and she must be right.
I didn't say it never happens. I said, I haven't seen it in my community, at all. I said that where it happens, it is unfair. Those are my words. Why are you making things up? And, no, you don't get to construe an implication, if you intend to be honest. Please, don't be dishonest and manipulative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,124,269
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 54 min Deny This 1,471
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 58 min PieceMaker 436
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Eagle 12 229,842
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 27,879
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Mary Downformore 201,188
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps Oct 16 jambycatherine 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE