Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 313211 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#310463 Sep 7, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. Religion hasn't been banished from schools. Kids may pray any time they like, so long as they don't disturb others. What do you think the prayers around flagpoles, or the Bible Clubs are all about, Witless? They may teach comparative religion classes. The ONLY things that have been banished, are those things that IMPOSE a particular religion on the students. Preaching a religion doesn't belong in the schools, no matter WHAT the religion is. Again, not allowing a religion to impose on the religious freedom of others, is NOT "banishment".
Can Christian kids say the Lord's Prayer as a group before class or is it banned?

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#310464 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No you will make your own decision.
Because God's supreme law is higher than nine men on the Supreme Court.
OK, so you ARE prochoice allowing me my own decision...correct?

So Ireland the catholics LET a woman suffer and die due to god's supreme law? I guess she got what she deserved under god's supreme law. If the btch can't produce she is no good to your sky daddy huh?

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#310465 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Can Christian kids say the Lord's Prayer as a group before class or is it banned?
Can Wiccans draw a circle with a pentagram light some candles and call on the Goddess before class or is that banned? Would you have a problem with it?
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#310467 Sep 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so you ARE prochoice allowing me my own decision...correct?
So Ireland the catholics LET a woman suffer and die due to god's supreme law? I guess she got what she deserved under god's supreme law. If the btch can't produce she is no good to your sky daddy huh?
If they had diagnosed her condition correctly, the Irish law allows for an abortion to save her life. Her treatment was mismanaged from the word go, seemingly by the doctors not really being involved adequately in her care.
Ink

Drexel Hill, PA

#310468 Sep 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can Wiccans draw a circle with a pentagram light some candles and call on the Goddess before class or is that banned? Would you have a problem with it?
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't take any longer that a short prayer.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

#310469 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No it would be your choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing. Okay, my opinion equates to disapproval of killing another human.
May no one ever attempt to take your life.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#310470 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Can Muslim kids whip out a prayer rug at noon, as a group, in an American public school, or is it banned?

Can native American kids pass a peace pipe, do a rain dance, or perform coming of age rituals, as a group, in an American public school, or is it banned?

Can Wiccan kids perform a healing ritual, or a binding, or a communion with the Four Corners, as a group in an American public school, or is it banned?

When one approaches freedom of/from religion, in the context of the Constitution of the United States, one has to take ALL CITIZENS into consideration.

When one approaches religious freedom from the standpoint of religious persecution, one would be wise to consider one's own GUILT AND SHAME on that score, Christian.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#310471 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No it would be your choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing. Okay, my opinion equates to disapproval of killing another human.
Guess what....SO DOES MINE.

I refuse to kill a human within me, unless I'm exercising my right to self defense.

Do you get that at all?

How my opinion shapes my behavior?

Here's the deal. "The right thing" and "The wrong thing" ARE SUBJECTIVE. I TRULY believe that I don't have the moral authority to subsume another person's morality into my own.

I'm glad there are laws regulating abortion. I'm crushed that they aren't enforced, in a way that KEEPS abortion safe for women who need it. I refuse to condemn the women for whom I "approve" abortion, to the necessity for seeking it outside the law, by supporting legislation which may prevent them from accessing it. If that makes me a monster, Ink, so be it. I'll not be telling other women not to do what I did. My embryo is just as dead as theirs will be, and they're the ones who are charged with making that decision.

Once you understand that, you may be able to quit smacking others in an attempt to justify your stance. At least, I hope so, for your sake.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#310472 Sep 7, 2013
First you get down on your knees,
Fiddle with your rosaries,
Bow your head with great respect,
And genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

Do whatever steps you want, if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff.
Everybody say his own
Kyrie eleison,
Doin' the Vatican Rag.

Get in line in that processional,
Step into that small confessional,
There, the guy who's got religion'll
Tell you if your sin's original.
If it is, try playing it safer,
Drink the wine and chew the wafer,
Two, four, six, eight,
Time to transubstantiate!

So get down upon your knees,

Make a cross on your abdomen,
When in Rome do like a Roman,
Ave Maria,
Gee it's good to see ya,
Gettin' ecstatic an'
Sorta dramatic an'
Doin' the Vatican Rag!
--
Tom Lehrer
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Forgive them for they know not
what they do? Why?
HAIL M a r y,
queen of heavenly spheres!
Hail, who the angelic
host reveres.
Hail, fruitful root,
hail, sacred gate!
W h e n c e the world's
light derives its date.
O g l o r I o u s
maid, with beauty blessed!
Give me power against thy
enemies.
Amen.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#310473 Sep 7, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't take any longer that a short prayer.
What, so you would encourage every child to pray as the spirit moves them, as the leader of a group prayer in every public school, every day? Every class period? Every minute?

Because that's what it would entail, honey. Personally, I think excluding group prayer across the board is more sensible...but maybe you'd LIKE the entire schoolday to be taken up by prayer...

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#310474 Sep 7, 2013
Since I TAUGHT safe sex seminars for years, yes I did. But then, I didn't say just condoms, did I?

BTW--the first rule of safe sex is that you are responsible for your own health. If your partner plays irresponsibly and you allow it, you do not have any right to complain.
sassy jm wrote:
<quoted text>Petey, condoms don't protect 100%. You DID not know that??

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#310475 Sep 7, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
First you get down on your knees,
Do whatever steps you want, if
You have cleared them with the Pontiff.
Everybody say his own
Kyrie eleison,
Doin' the Vatican Rag.
Get in line in that processional,
Step into that small confessional,
There, the guy who's got religion'll
Tell you if your sin's original.
If it is, try playing it safer,
Drink the wine and chew the wafer,
Two, four, six, eight,
Time to transubstantiate!
So get down upon your knees,
Make a cross on your abdomen,
When in Rome do like a Roman,
Ave Maria,
Gee it's good to see ya,
Gettin' ecstatic an'
Sorta dramatic an'
Doin' the Vatican Rag!
--
Tom Lehrer
<quoted text>

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

#310476 Sep 7, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Since I TAUGHT safe sex seminars for years, yes I did. But then, I didn't say just condoms, did I?
BTW--the first rule of safe sex is that you are responsible for your own health. If your partner plays irresponsibly and you allow it, you do not have any right to complain.
<quoted text>
Please pardon my pedantry, but 'allowing' in that circumstance, IMO, is ultimately facilitated by staying in the relationship.

Just saying.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#310477 Sep 7, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>What, so you would encourage every child to pray as the spirit moves them, as the leader of a group prayer in every public school, every day? Every class period? Every minute?
Because that's what it would entail, honey. Personally, I think excluding group prayer across the board is more sensible...but maybe you'd LIKE the entire schoolday to be taken up by prayer...
Of course, she would, and, because she thinks that it's only Christians that would exercise that privilege, she and her fellow godbots fantasize that it would result in lots of safely uneducated Christians trudging lockstep with her lawd's freaky teachings.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#310478 Sep 7, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks "Rach!"
:)
Yeah, I don't post much anymore either...
Well, to all, after a visit to Dad's P.C.P. on Thursday, he can finally drive again, and this was the first day both of them have gotten out of the house on their own in perhaps three months...!
And while they bitched and complained about the traffic, and the other shoppers at the supermarket, I think it did them good to get out of the house for a little while.
Friggin' parents...
;P
Best,
John.
Hey if they can bitch and complain then they must be feeling pretty good! Best wishes as always, John.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#310479 Sep 7, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Can Muslim kids whip out a prayer rug at noon, as a group, in an American public school, or is it banned?
Can native American kids pass a peace pipe, do a rain dance, or perform coming of age rituals, as a group, in an American public school, or is it banned?
Can Wiccan kids perform a healing ritual, or a binding, or a communion with the Four Corners, as a group in an American public school, or is it banned?
When one approaches freedom of/from religion, in the context of the Constitution of the United States, one has to take ALL CITIZENS into consideration.
When one approaches religious freedom from the standpoint of religious persecution, one would be wise to consider one's own GUILT AND SHAME on that score, Christian.
While I'm not 100% on this, I believe that the ceremony of the peace-pipe was used as a "binding" element for antagonistic tribes who were planning to raid or go to war with one another, not to do so.
In that context, it's kind of hard to imagine kids--unless they happen to be members of rival gangs--going through the ritual of smoking a peace-pipe.
That said, I completely agree with the rest of your post; I find myself gnashing my teeth whenever someone says, "It's Freedom OF RELIGION, not FREEDOM FROM RELIGION."
What those folks don't seem to comprehend is that that statement is tantamount to saying that only "religious" people are worthy of freedom. If you're not religious...tough tookies for you.
And, yes--religious freedom is absolutely essential--as long as you believe in the religion "I" do...

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#310480 Sep 7, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey if they can bitch and complain then they must be feeling pretty good! Best wishes as always, John.
Thank you Milady!

:)
JBH

Vancouver, Canada

#310481 Sep 7, 2013
++++
Video: Kerry warns against "appeasement" in Syria
Full story: CBS News
Secretary of State John Kerry continued making the case for military action in Syria on Saturday, warning that the international community must not "be silent spectators to slaughter."
++++++++

Kerry talks like another liar about Syria, in his voice, tone and appearance, like Bush days lying about WMD about Iraq, as another failure.
His pointing to chemical weapons usage of August 21 in Syria is like Colin Powell saying satellite map of WMD in Iraq those days,as unreal but fake.
Count Dracul

New York, NY

#310482 Sep 7, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
It's not simple, it's simple-minded. Your god isn't even proven to exist, much less proven to give or take life. You can believe what you want, but "common sense" tells me deities are made-up entities.
<quoted text>
Nice avatar, Vlad the {impaler} Tepish
Count Dracul

New York, NY

#310483 Sep 7, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
While I'm not 100% on this, I believe that the ceremony of the peace-pipe was used as a "binding" element for antagonistic tribes who were planning to raid or go to war with one another, not to do so.
In that context, it's kind of hard to imagine kids--unless they happen to be members of rival gangs--going through the ritual of smoking a peace-pipe.
That said, I completely agree with the rest of your post; I find myself gnashing my teeth whenever someone says, "It's Freedom OF RELIGION, not FREEDOM FROM RELIGION."
What those folks don't seem to comprehend is that that statement is tantamount to saying that only "religious" people are worthy of freedom. If you're not religious...tough tookies for you.
And, yes--religious freedom is absolutely essential--as long as you believe in the religion "I" do...
It was not just the "peace pipe" that deterred them from going to war with each other, it was what was in the pipe they were smoking, Peyote perhaps, they were too wrecked to even get on, and stay on their horses. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Guest 1,482,689
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 9 hr Not My Fault 10,793
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Trojan 32,717
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Fri Sue 286
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 17 Go Blue Forever 75
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jan 17 louis 19
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jan 15 RiccardoFire 201,891
More from around the web