Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311028 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Gtown71

Dallas, TX

#309962 Sep 2, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>You mean, most people claimed a belief in God. Big difference. Most people who claim to live according to their religious tenets are liars and hypocrites. You may not want to admit it, but it was the same back in your beloved fifties and as far back as you can go.
All people are liars and hypocrites.

I've never met a cop that can write a speeding ticket, without being one. On another note, I've been in a place that only has PBS stations, and must admit, I've enjoyed it, and learned much :)

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#309964 Sep 2, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautifully said and loaded with male pronouns! Patriarchy brainwashing at it's best!
"He controls all"
Enough said.
Well put.

Location hidden

#309965 Sep 2, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Church and synagogue attendance is no measure of morality, Rose. Most of the self-proclaimed 'Christians' I know, only go to church for appearances on Sunday, and are happily engaged in games of 'screw-your-neighbor' the rest of the week.
Most churches are just a venue for a continuous dog-and-pony show, full of hypocrites and backstabbers. Most parishioners are just there to show off their Sunday best, and get a pass on their Monday thru Saturday shenanigans.
Twas ever thus.
That's been pointed out several times, at least. I don't think it matters to these folks. The churches have always been filled with hypocrites and liars. If that fact is ignored, it doesn't need to be acknowledged and dealt with.

Location hidden

#309966 Sep 2, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well on the whole ..there are a lot if churches,and synagogues ...a lot of them very old ..no one would build churches if no one attended ..
In many settlements the first communal building was a church .
I know you don't want to believe it..But many settlers,fled Herr because they did not worship CATHOLIC OR CHURCH OF ENGLAND .
we codified freedom of worship ...because it was important NOT TO BE TOLD WHICH CHURVH TO GO TO ..
God was spoken of more often on tv...when I was young ..
Everyone I knew,went to some Church ..whether they were INO.. have no idea
It was a different society PLAYA...I can't prove it but I lived it .
Even in Public high school most kids families went to church
on Sunday . We had prayer in Public school ..And the kids,prayed .
wHAT gets me is that people think the way it is now is the way it has always been ..it's not..
The majority of churchgoers have always been hypocrites. Other churchgoers refusing to admit it has always been the standard, also. Nice tradition :-\

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#309967 Sep 2, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Well put.
Thanks!

I am always amazed when fundies reach deep down in their soul to give a speech hoping to convert educated. alert, and aware women and load the speech with him him he, and he and him and he!! Then if you respond that it sounds like a bunch a patriarchy they scratch their bald heads in confusion.:O)
Gtown71

Dallas, TX

#309968 Sep 2, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of churchgoers have always been hypocrites. Other churchgoers refusing to admit it has always been the standard, also. Nice tradition :-\
Again - sitting in any church makes one Godly like sitting in a garage makes one a car. One that has been saved and changed "should " be better than those who have no hope, but salvation is of the Lord.

What do you think all them guys were that Jesus chose to follow Him, great examples?

“Proud to be a Wiccan Priest”

Since: Jul 09

Jonesboro AR

#309969 Sep 2, 2013
Hi All once more life has taken me away from this forum..

However i am dropping in to let my friends and every one know that one my nephews has passed his military test. Has enlisted in the Marines. I am a proud uncle today.

Location hidden

#309970 Sep 2, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
However i am dropping in to let my friends and every one know that one my nephews has passed his military test. Has enlisted in the Marines. I am a proud uncle today.
Congratulations to your nephew! I wish him all the best!
Gtown71

Dallas, TX

#309971 Sep 2, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot-on, especially the last statement. What really exposes these militant religionists as hypocrites is the fact that they keep yapping about "smaller government"...UNTIL it comes to women's sexual and reproductive decisions. Then they're all for having the government FORCE women to gestate unwanted pregnancies against their will.
They also seem to get very angry at women who either have only one or two children or even none at all. Obviously, they don't like the idea of women having the freedom to make these choices for ourselves. Too bad for them.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Motherhood has always been optional, but thanks to abortion, many now must have the life within them killed, in order to stay childless :(

Jonesboro AR

#309972 Sep 2, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Motherhood has always been optional, but thanks to abortion, many now must have the life within them killed, in order to stay childless :(
Actually has made a decision that you do not personally like or approve of as being a legitimate.

But here is the great part. Your opinion is meaningless to any woman having to make a decision concerning her pregnancy. It does not matter if you, I, or any one approves or disapproves.

Jonesboro AR

#309973 Sep 2, 2013
Thanks Elise :)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#309975 Sep 2, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot-on, especially the last statement. What really exposes these militant religionists as hypocrites is the fact that they keep yapping about "smaller government"...UNTIL it comes to women's sexual and reproductive decisions. Then they're all for having the government FORCE women to gestate unwanted pregnancies against their will.
They also seem to get very angry at women who either have only one or two children or even none at all. Obviously, they don't like the idea of women having the freedom to make these choices for ourselves. Too bad for them.
Motherhood: OPTIONAL, not required.
Seriously curious why do you think Christians want people to have lots of Kids ..even the Catholics use some kind of BC ..though they don't call it that ..
I don't want to see any one,CONCIEVE more kids than they want or can support
.you all have some odd ideas about Christians,..most of us,have one or two Kids,..three may be ...

I can understand if you judge by some posters Here..But really in your own lives,you must know,some Christians ..do they all have a,passel of young ones,..

The only difference I see ..is wedding like abortion used as birth control ..

You all talk about pro life people,and Christians as if we were Martians .

We have the same life concerns as you do ...just saying

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#309976 Sep 2, 2013
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>The majority of churchgoers have always been hypocrites. Other churchgoers refusing to admit it has always been the standard, also. Nice tradition :-\
As,I said some were IN NAME ONLY .

BUT there are hypocrites everywhere ..religious or not.

You again are,painting with a broad brush .

I try nit to make generalizations about any group ..just me I suppose ..or else I'd never know,any one who was not in lockstep with me ..

Well violent criminals,..Not my fave...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#309977 Sep 2, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Church and synagogue attendance is no measure of morality, Rose. Most of the self-proclaimed 'Christians' I know, only go to church for appearances on Sunday, and are happily engaged in games of 'screw-your-neighbor' the rest of the week.
Most churches are just a venue for a continuous dog-and-pony show, full of hypocrites and backstabbers. Most parishioners are just there to show off their Sunday best, and get a pass on their Monday thru Saturday shenanigans.
Twas ever thus.
I don't judge their hearts ..the OP was concerning how,God used to be a part of our fabric .

Those churches were only the ones still standing .

Churches,were among the first communal buildings ..they doubled as schools in many settlements and meeting halls,

The different nationalities seemed to settle together ..they did not want to be told HOW or which CHURCH to continue ..But brought usually a common faith with them...
STO

Vallejo, CA

#309978 Sep 2, 2013
Cotton candy icecream wrote:
<quoted text> What an arrogant assumption. No evil is part of Gods plan for us. Free will causes sin,not God. If God formed a life in the womb of her/his mothers uterus,then he wanted that life to exist. How long that life keeps their earthly body is entirely up to him. He gives life and he taketh away<earthly life> ,after that the soul goes on to eternal life. With all due respect,your comment was insulting towards humanity. Assuming that another of his creation is justified in ending that unique life defies common sense. You seem to be absorbed in pride by thinking we mortal men/women are God like. We don't own our life. How deliberately obtuse to think that we have control over another.
Peace.
"How long that life keeps their earthly body is entirely up to him."

There ya go. Abortion is part of the plan. IYO.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#309979 Sep 2, 2013
Kathwynn wrote:
That's wonderful! Good luck to your nephew. I hope he has a long and distinguished career.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#309980 Sep 2, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
GOD forms,each child in the womb and breathes into each child
A soul.
That is the plan ..we have free will ..And the legality to
End the lives,He has made ..
His,plan for US,was not that we do away with those lives ..no.
But He does not stop us..
So His plan for Esau was to create Esau to hate Esau? Remember, God hated Esau before he was born.

So what's the plan for the "unborn" that are aborted? God created them and it was their free will to be aborted? You just said His plan "was not that we do away with those lives."

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#309981 Sep 2, 2013
Why? Did you misplace one?

Have some elderberry wine...
Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
How many husbands do you have buried in your back yard?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#309982 Sep 2, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I just came back to the thread ..sorry I did not answer earlier.
Many people turn from God after the death of a loved one
I lost my dad when I was,nine..I never did,NOT believe though ..But I sure did not live my life as a believer should live .
I did not really become a born again believer till I was about 50 '
Many little things cane together..But the main thing was believing we are born with an emptiness ..s God sized hole within us ..THST only He can fill
We try all our lives..with trying to fill.it ..striving fir love..for money..for power ..for our causes..they never quite fill that emptiness in our souls,..He can. HE DOES..if we,accept His,sacrifice ..believing in Him as our Saviuir .
AND ONLY HE CAN COMFORT US,IN OUR SORROWS..
I believed ..But did nit have true love in my heart fir My Saviour ..I believe He did a wonderful thing in paying the price for my sins,.He knew,them when He took them to the Cross..a sinless being took my sins,and yours inti himself ..And died with them ..he cried out ABBBA,FATHER why have you forsaken me ..because for
the only time in eternity..he suffered separation from the Father ..as would be our punishment ..He did it for US to redeem us .
I do believe God is,all powerful ..yes...He set the world into being ..weather operates under natural laws He set into motion ..He,dies nit specifically cause a weather event .
He did not cause the accident that killed my dad
Not cause the men who shot and killed my step father years later .
The world was perfect as He made it ..we made it imperfect ..
But He still.loves us .
I do believe we have a time we die. He knows it .
DOES,prayer achieve miracles within His will.
I believe it does..I HSVE seen and heard if hopeless people being cured
Now the thing is,HE knows the future..the why of things happening ..
We do not
We do have free will ..we all can do good or not do good or do absolute evil ..He does NOT make anyone believe I. Him
That is why persecuting people to make them believe or say they believe in a certain way was not only evil but destined to fail .
We must on our own come to Him in Faith ..
OK you know I would digress ..sorry .
So yes,I believe in prayer ..I am talking to one I love ..
we,are,told if we pray in Faith in Jesus name in the will of the Father...which is,a leap of faith ..we are heard ..And many times the answer is yes ...there may be reasons,fir a no answer,we do not know,
When I was pregnAnt..just suspecting ..I prayed so hard that I wasn't ..every day ..there were no pregnancy tests,..I prayed and prayed .
He said no ....saddest Time in my life ..
Yet next Sunday I'm having dinner with my Son and his family .
And yes,I let anyone know who will listen my feelings against
abortion.because,I h d this great gift because God said No .
So I don't know,His plan ..I know,I will die someday ..And I pray I'll be with Him ..I love Him ..And He loves me ..
And,sometime s when I pray in Faith ..He answers yes.
Truly He does.
His,PLAN for US is eternity with Him ..if we CHOOSE Him.
Do you believe miscarriage is tantamount to abortion if a woman prays and prays for it and God says "Yes"?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#309983 Sep 2, 2013
Happy smiles wrote:
Elise,hello,God created you. He wanted you to exist. You're special. You're loved. You wouldn't -be- if he didn't special create you during your conception. He controls all. He IS the answer. Without him,we have no meaning here. That's not a peaceful thought not to understand why you are here other. Give him a chance. He will fill your void. He always does. You might be surprised Elise. Unconditional love :-) imagine that? He waits for your response to his calling.
Enjoy your weekend.
"You wouldn't -be- if he didn't special create you during your conception."

Interesting. My understanding is creation of a soul happened before conception. If you think of it outside the concept of eternity, creation of any soul would have taken place millions of years ago -- at least.

I'll use the Esau example again. How could God hate Esau before Esau was born if He didn't already know Esau in his capacity to practice free will?

Chew on that for a while.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min The Shadow Broker 1,375,498
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 48 min New Age Spiritual... 254,980
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr Trojan 32,250
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Tue Earthling-1 9,555
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 28 Ela 38
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 27 Jesse 201,845
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Apr 23 Bret Link 21
More from around the web