Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
289,001 - 289,020 of 305,186 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with you.
But I want to expand on some of your post...
The big question is WHY aren't the schools doing more to address this? IMO, it's because many adults have abdicated so much of their authority to children, and are teaching their children that the world revolves around them. Teachers can no longer expect cooperation when they call the parents of troublemakers. A parent who approaches another parent about their child's behavior can expect to meet a lot of resistance.
Let me give you an example...I was once shopping in a grocery store bakery and saw a child approach the clerk. The child asked if the clerk could write "happy birthday daddy" on top of a chocolate cream pie. The clerk nicely explained that she could but because of the top of the pie the words might not be legible. The child thanked her and said he'd think more about what he wanted to do. Just a few minutes later the child returned with his mother and watched in horror as the mother reamed the 40 something clerk and raged at her that her son "could have whatever he asked for and the clerk should mind her own effing business and keep her opinions to herself", etc.
That clerk is a grown middle-aged working adult who was nice to that boy and was just doing her job but who got treated like a worthless doormat...and what did that boy learn?
Mom is a moron??

Bet he already knows,..But you are correct ...

Parent either spoil the Kids..don't discipline ..or don't care sometimes.

Call me old fashioned ..But a whack on the behind for a little kid .

IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS..it he's in a meltdown ..is not amiss .

Or if they do something really dangerous ..if it's not your normal
Punishment .should nit be the first place you go ...they remember ..well for a while...

But nowadays could get you reported .

I WOULD report someone beating a kid ..But a whack on the butt is nit abuse. IMO

Thank God ..I can count on one hand the Times I did it ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, when I homeschooled, there weren't many online programs like this. Some sources online, but not like this really.
I think it's,New...nit sure ..But this year is the first time I saw it advertised ..

Since its tied in with the school system...if it's for real..And it seems to be ..probably an outgrowth if the charter schools .

And I'd say probably they have or will have a sports component ..

Maybe teams of their own ..if it works ..might cut down class,size.

I think the teachers have so many kids ...there is no way to give any individual attention.

This countries education system is so much lower than the rest of the world ..they keep throwing money..But it's crazy with all we have not to do everything possible ..to educate ..And hero them safe .

And moon is right ..used to be if you git in trouble st school ..it was worse at home !!!!

Now parents talk of suing teachers ..

Nuts

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Madam Kindle wrote:
<quoted text>
Mom is a moron??
Bet he already knows,..But you are correct ...
Parent either spoil the Kids..don't discipline ..or don't care sometimes.
Call me old fashioned ..But a whack on the behind for a little kid .
IF NOTHING ELSE WORKS..it he's in a meltdown ..is not amiss .
Or if they do something really dangerous ..if it's not your normal
Punishment .should nit be the first place you go ...they remember ..well for a while...
But nowadays could get you reported .
I WOULD report someone beating a kid ..But a whack on the butt is nit abuse. IMO
Thank God ..I can count on one hand the Times I did it ..
A simple whack on the butt isn't considered child abuse in most places. Even spanking with a belt ON THE BUTT wouldn't be, unless the buckle end was used. A spanking, with the hand or otherwise, that causes cuts or bruises are what they consider child abuse. Sure, someone could report you, but that doesn't mean CPS would do anything about it.

This is another of those hot button issues, though. When I homeschooled, I was part of an online support group. We didn't all agree on everything, but the debate was very civil. UNTIL someone brought up spanking. I was on in the morning, before the kids were even up, gave my opinion, and didn't go back to the group until evening. It was amazing, the entire message board had exploded, and the next day the founder of the group eliminated it because of all the fighting. I couldn't believe my eyes when I'd read the progression of posts from the day. Talk about flabbergasted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>The teachers in private (Catholic) schools have more sense?????
IMO the biggest advantage WOUKD be smaller classes..leaving out the religious component .

A real while back ..Chicago set up a programme. For problem teens ..with the Catholic schools.

Was a program ..no religion ..to get them learning and graduate .

Most did and a lot went in to trade ..or college ..these were kids flunking out ...at Risk.

Wonder if they still have it ..Was in sixth minutes .

DC I think had vouchers.

Not now ..I think

THE CONGRESS AND PRES ..their kids go to private school ..

We spend the money on the kids anyway ...

Think outside the box ..especially with at risk kids,

One thing was on MONTEL ..they were trying a program for inner city boys at risk for jail ...public school for boys only ..kind of military type.

Not sure it got off the ground ..too controversial. Always s one groups use sadness for politics ..teachers,UNIIN fight this ..But the teachers themselves would love smaller classes ..remove disruptive or violent kids ..to a better setting for them...

Too bad ..it could help cut down the violence rate .save some from jail

And keep the other kids,safer

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
A simple whack on the butt isn't considered child abuse in most places. Even spanking with a belt ON THE BUTT wouldn't be, unless the buckle end was used. A spanking, with the hand or otherwise, that causes cuts or bruises are what they consider child abuse. Sure, someone could report you, but that doesn't mean CPS would do anything about it.
This is another of those hot button issues, though. When I homeschooled, I was part of an online support group. We didn't all agree on everything, but the debate was very civil. UNTIL someone brought up spanking. I was on in the morning, before the kids were even up, gave my opinion, and didn't go back to the group until evening. It was amazing, the entire message board had exploded, and the next day the founder of the group eliminated it because of all the fighting. I couldn't believe my eyes when I'd read the progression of posts from the day. Talk about flabbergasted.
It's a hot button issue alright ...most parents are not abusive .

My mom and her brothers. Really got beat .

Me only once bad with a belt that I remember ..I had crossed the 4 lane street to see my friend without telling her and had been told many times..don't cross alone ....I never did it again .

I got spanked mostly ..so what ...parents have it tough these,days but kids need discipline ..

And the feel good stuff..musical chair s with no missing chair .

Some bright idea,...

Raising either neglected kids or self centered ones..

I say unless abusive ..let parents parent ..
Pot meet Kettle

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text> So now you know most homeschoolers to base an opinion on? How do you know that "too many" are homeschooled because parents don't want kids exposed to any ideas/beliefs but their own OR that they are at a disadvantage OR that they "DON'T " socialize OR only socialize with families who share similar beliefs?
it's amazing how you can smell other people's feces and say it stinks but you can't smell the stink wafting from your own feces. you're the one claiming to be an expert on all things. you just made a fool of yourself here.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
You ASSume much that you haven't a clue about, ASS.
You ASSume that I am ASSuming.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Calm your Drama Queen ass down.
Yes, in my experience, which is vaster than anyone who has NOT homeschooled, then most are doing so to avoid beliefs/ideas not their own. They are QUITE clear about that when you speak to them, whether in person, OR online. They are, in fact, QUITE proud of the fact that the only other kids THEIR kids socialize with ARE of families with the same type of beliefs. Mostly religious.
Perhaps they didn't want to socialize with a wiccan. I am being honest in saying this. I wouldn't deliberately set up playdates with them either.

Nevertheless, you made it seem like "homeschoolers" who do it to avoid public secular school systems for specifically religious, don't socialize or join other activities. Not true.
Rose is right

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Madam Kindle wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a hot button issue alright ...most parents are not abusive .
My mom and her brothers. Really got beat .
Me only once bad with a belt that I remember ..I had crossed the 4 lane street to see my friend without telling her and had been told many times..don't cross alone ....I never did it again .
I got spanked mostly ..so what ...parents have it tough these,days but kids need discipline ..
And the feel good stuff..musical chair s with no missing chair .
Some bright idea,...
Raising either neglected kids or self centered ones..
I say unless abusive ..let parents parent ..
A big problem is schools butting in on the parents business. Teachers being mandatory reporters has made some of them put Child Protective services on speed dial. my mom was a big believer in letting us learn from our mistakes. I follow the same style and the school is always interfering. My mothers way made for a lot less yelling and arguing. I said I didn't need a coat or boots one winter morning and mom said fine. I froze going to school and never did it again. I did the same one day when my son fussed about bundling up one cold day and I got a call from the school.I didn't have to explain my reasons but I did and was lectured by Ms. Expert on how bad an idea that was. I got expert suggestions on how to handle things her way. next issue become a fight and control struggle with my son because I felt I couldnt handle things my moms old fashioned way. i didn't want any grief from the school.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>My baby is 35 years old. He feeds himself just fine. Thanks for your concern.
The one that was aborted.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
it's amazing how you can smell other people's feces and say it stinks but you can't smell the stink wafting from your own feces. you're the one claiming to be an expert on all things. you just made a fool of yourself here.
Awwwww...are you scared to talk to me with your known name? Tsk!

What I said stands true.

Kthanks ;)

*smoochies*
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>The teachers in private (Catholic) schools have more sense?????
A principal with a college degree has a paddle
to hit a child?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>You ASSume that I am ASSuming.
Nonsense.

Here is what you SAID...

"It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart"."

You ASS.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps they didn't want to socialize with a wiccan. I am being honest in saying this. I wouldn't deliberately set up playdates with them either.
Nevertheless, you made it seem like "homeschoolers" who do it to avoid public secular school systems for specifically religious, don't socialize or join other activities. Not true.
I did no such thing, Liar. Not my fault you're too stupid to understand what was actually said.

And I didn't say anything about them in relation to ME, personally.

You're an idiot, who is completely clueless about this subject. Your every post on it proves your ignorance.
Pot meet Kettle

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text> Awwwww...are you scared to talk to me with your known name? Tsk!
What I said stands true.
Kthanks ;)
*smoochies*
Trying to play the sexwhore won't work. Keep your festering, sore covered lips to yourself. Bitner has more intelligence and cred than you ever will.

What *I* said stands true.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>That's a pretty big assumption. Nonetheless, if it's done well, it does take a lot of time and energy. So, if one intends to homeschool, one had better prepare to be rattled, stumped, flustered, overwhelmed, grilled, and ignored - just like real teachers. The trick is overcoming all that stuff, and actually teaching the kids. Lots of folks can't hack it.
<quoted text>Teach your kids to defend themselves, and arm them with "Start nothing, finish everything." Then, don't punish them when they stand up for themselves (or their friends) and get suspended as a result of zero tolerance policy.
Most schools have that, you know - kids usually learn bullying at home.
Oh, and 'a lot' is two words.
With all the negatives of homeschooling that you pointed out, my assumption seems on target.

I agree that kids need to stand up and defend themselves.

While kids do learn bullying at home(from overbearing, overly aggressive parents usually), alot of the time the bullying is "bullied" at home (emotionally, mentally, physically).
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with you.
But I want to expand on some of your post...
The big question is WHY aren't the schools doing more to address this? IMO, it's because many adults have abdicated so much of their authority to children, and are teaching their children that the world revolves around them. Teachers can no longer expect cooperation when they call the parents of troublemakers. A parent who approaches another parent about their child's behavior can expect to meet a lot of resistance.
Let me give you an example...I was once shopping in a grocery store bakery and saw a child approach the clerk. The child asked if the clerk could write "happy birthday daddy" on top of a chocolate cream pie. The clerk nicely explained that she could but because of the top of the pie the words might not be legible. The child thanked her and said he'd think more about what he wanted to do. Just a few minutes later the child returned with his mother and watched in horror as the mother reamed the 40 something clerk and raged at her that her son "could have whatever he asked for and the clerk should mind her own effing business and keep her opinions to herself", etc.
That clerk is a grown middle-aged working adult who was nice to that boy and was just doing her job but who got treated like a worthless doormat...and what did that boy learn?
Kids definately learn by what they live. Teachers/staff need to step up and start seeing the signs in order to address it. Teachers indeed have a hard time when communicating with parents.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to play the sexwhore won't work. Keep your festering, sore covered lips to yourself. Bitner has more intelligence and cred than you ever will.
What *I* said stands true.
Psst....take your mask off sweetie ;)

My husband likes when I play the "sexwhore". So, yeah, I will continue to play it.

Kthanks.

*smoochies*
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
Here is what you SAID...
"It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart"."
You ASS.
Your opinion isn't fact. Stop pretending that it is.

I repeat..It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool, so I would assume that the parents aren't lazy or faint of heart.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>With all the negatives of homeschooling that you pointed out, my assumption seems on target.
I agree that kids need to stand up and defend themselves.
While kids do learn bullying at home(from overbearing, overly aggressive parents usually), alot of the time the bullying is "bullied" at home (emotionally, mentally, physically).
Teachers are bullies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min THE DEVIL 1,085,034
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Patrick 224,740
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr Trojan 26,759
Charlotte Hornets: Does Josh Davis Deserve a Ro... Thu TJS 1
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jul 30 Robert Z 278
K-State's Stephen Hurt adapting to new surround... Jul 29 Monica 2
loan offer with low interest Jul 28 Pastor james 1
•••
•••