Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Comments (Page 14,450)

Showing posts 288,981 - 289,000 of305,060
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
They are asleep. So now there mothers want them.
Why? Can you imagine the pain of being aborted?
How come the mother lives?
I believe they are with Jesus
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe they are with Jesus
Why would they be with him if you killed them?

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me the baby so I can feed him.
My baby is 35 years old. He feeds himself just fine. Thanks for your concern.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>What proof do we have that that scenario is uncommon? To be perfectly honest, the families I've been exposed to or have interacted with, who homeschool their kids, are very similar to the one you describe. In fact, the children to whom I refer score consistently higher on their standardized testing (yes, in my state officially home-schooled children must ALSO take the standardized test which the state mandates for that grade) than their public school counterparts...and one of the families is VERY well socialized, as their business takes them to every corner of the country.
Home schooling, like public schooling, is WHAT WE MAKE OF IT.
Both my children graduated at the tops of their classes, and both went to public schools....but their home-schooled compatriots have higher SAT scores. Just saying.
I homeschooled mine for a few years, in two different states. They too participated in outside activities, and scored very well on the standardized testing in VA. MD doesn't require it, but someone from the BOE came and interviewed me, the kids, and looked at the work they'd done for the year. Unfortunately, I then had to put them back into public school. BUT, they'd learned by then how to teach THEMSELVES, and did very well.

I met quite a few homeschoolers over the years, and I'd say the situation is not as cut and dry as some believe. There were many whose kids were doing great, at both learning AND socializing. Most, though, not so much. And I'm convinced the reason parents homeschool makes the difference.

Too many are homeschooling because they DON'T want their kids exposed to any ideas/beliefs but their own. And those kids are at a disadvantage, because they DON'T socialize, or only socialize with the kids of parents who share the same beliefs.

Like I said it's not cut and dry, as my story, and your own, shows. What it IS, is a very controversial subject that can really cause fights among people online, much like the subject of spanking :)

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I homeschooled mine for a few years, in two different states. They too participated in outside activities, and scored very well on the standardized testing in VA. MD doesn't require it, but someone from the BOE came and interviewed me, the kids, and looked at the work they'd done for the year. Unfortunately, I then had to put them back into public school. BUT, they'd learned by then how to teach THEMSELVES, and did very well.
I met quite a few homeschoolers over the years, and I'd say the situation is not as cut and dry as some believe. There were many whose kids were doing great, at both learning AND socializing. Most, though, not so much. And I'm convinced the reason parents homeschool makes the difference.
Too many are homeschooling because they DON'T want their kids exposed to any ideas/beliefs but their own. And those kids are at a disadvantage, because they DON'T socialize, or only socialize with the kids of parents who share the same beliefs.
Like I said it's not cut and dry, as my story, and your own, shows. What it IS, is a very controversial subject that can really cause fights among people online, much like the subject of spanking :)
It's not for the faint of heart, the lazy, or the narrow minded...on that, we seem to agree. If you don't mind my asking, what reason did the BOE give for requiring your kids go back to public school...or was that a personal decision due to time constraints, etc.?
worships reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
no one asked you. all of this is irrelevant to a woman's right to choose.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>It's not for the faint of heart, the lazy, or the narrow minded...on that, we seem to agree. If you don't mind my asking, what reason did the BOE give for requiring your kids go back to public school...or was that a personal decision due to time constraints, etc.?
Oh, no, the BOE didn't require it. That was a decision I made due to the fact that I had to go back to work, and didn't have the time to devote to school.
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you know most homeschoolers to base an opinion on? How do you know that "too many" are homeschooled because parents don't want kids exposed to any ideas/beliefs but their own OR that they are at a disadvantage OR that they "DON'T " socialize OR only socialize with families who share similar beliefs?
sassy JM

Lake Grove, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>It's not for the faint of heart, the lazy, or the narrow minded...on that, we seem to agree. If you don't mind my asking, what reason did the BOE give for requiring your kids go back to public school...or was that a personal decision due to time constraints, etc.?
It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart".

There is alot of bullying happening in schools today(especially middle/junior high HS) and from what I hear, parents have no choice but to take their kids out. I think the schools are not doing enough to address this.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text> So now you know most homeschoolers to base an opinion on? How do you know that "too many" are homeschooled because parents don't want kids exposed to any ideas/beliefs but their own OR that they are at a disadvantage OR that they "DON'T " socialize OR only socialize with families who share similar beliefs?
Calm your Drama Queen ass down.

Yes, in my experience, which is vaster than anyone who has NOT homeschooled, then most are doing so to avoid beliefs/ideas not their own. They are QUITE clear about that when you speak to them, whether in person, OR online. They are, in fact, QUITE proud of the fact that the only other kids THEIR kids socialize with ARE of families with the same type of beliefs. Mostly religious.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart".
There is alot of bullying happening in schools today(especially middle/junior high HS) and from what I hear, parents have no choice but to take their kids out. I think the schools are not doing enough to address this.
You ASSume much that you haven't a clue about, ASS.
grumpy

Thiells, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are tests so important? Sorry but the teachers are a joke.
The child can just read the book and learn on his own
like in college. Maybe that is why teachers don't make
much of a paycheck. The students do good on the tests
because they are smart. All of them are.
Public school will never give them what a good private
school does.(Catholic) The teachers have more sense.
Children get lost in public school. No respect.
The teachers in private (Catholic) schools have more sense?????

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart"..
That's a pretty big assumption. Nonetheless, if it's done well, it does take a lot of time and energy. So, if one intends to homeschool, one had better prepare to be rattled, stumped, flustered, overwhelmed, grilled, and ignored - just like real teachers. The trick is overcoming all that stuff, and actually teaching the kids. Lots of folks can't hack it.
sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>There is alot of bullying happening in schools today(especially middle/junior high HS) and from what I hear, parents have no choice but to take their kids out. I think the schools are not doing enough to address this.
Teach your kids to defend themselves, and arm them with "Start nothing, finish everything." Then, don't punish them when they stand up for themselves (or their friends) and get suspended as a result of zero tolerance policy.

Most schools have that, you know - kids usually learn bullying at home.

Oh, and 'a lot' is two words.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

sassy JM wrote:
<quoted text>It takes alot of time and energy to homeschool so I would assume that the parents aren't "lazy or fsint of heart".
For once I agree with you.

But I want to expand on some of your post...

The big question is WHY aren't the schools doing more to address this? IMO, it's because many adults have abdicated so much of their authority to children, and are teaching their children that the world revolves around them. Teachers can no longer expect cooperation when they call the parents of troublemakers. A parent who approaches another parent about their child's behavior can expect to meet a lot of resistance.

Let me give you an example...I was once shopping in a grocery store bakery and saw a child approach the clerk. The child asked if the clerk could write "happy birthday daddy" on top of a chocolate cream pie. The clerk nicely explained that she could but because of the top of the pie the words might not be legible. The child thanked her and said he'd think more about what he wanted to do. Just a few minutes later the child returned with his mother and watched in horror as the mother reamed the 40 something clerk and raged at her that her son "could have whatever he asked for and the clerk should mind her own effing business and keep her opinions to herself", etc.

That clerk is a grown middle-aged working adult who was nice to that boy and was just doing her job but who got treated like a worthless doormat...and what did that boy learn?

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, no, the BOE didn't require it. That was a decision I made due to the fact that I had to go back to work, and didn't have the time to devote to school.
That's what I thought, but was just curious.

:)

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

roses smell like foo wrote:
<quoted text>I guess then you will never see your parents in heaven..
And here you were having a nice discussion last night ..shame on you .

Nasty personal insult of a,name ...

.I believe .the babies in heaven ....yes,heaven knit ..not limbo..

Will know WHAT Jesus,wants them to know .

I did not say they would never be reunited with their mom's someday

That's up to Him ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you saw the OP..this would help for not well versed in the subject matter..And good for you ..

I'm horrid at math ..my kid taught me ..Lol.
http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-pu...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Calm your Drama Queen ass down.
Yes, in my experience, which is vaster than anyone who has NOT homeschooled, then most are doing so to avoid beliefs/ideas not their own. They are QUITE clear about that when you speak to them, whether in person, OR online. They are, in fact, QUITE proud of the fact that the only other kids THEIR kids socialize with ARE of families with the same type of beliefs. Mostly religious.
Today ..if I COULD not send my kid to private school..And still think vouchers could help a lot of folks defray the cost ..

Say your school spends 8000 per child ..give parents,5. Save money..cut
Down c lass,size..helps,all the students .

And not have to do buildings so much.

Kids,here were going to school in trailers .

But anyway ..I would consider the online school thing ..if I were stay
At home

for safety mostly ..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

But as I said yesterday ..since I had to work .

I felt safer and better with her in the Christian school she went to .

Was worth all the sacrifice ..IMO

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Madam Kindle wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you saw the OP..this would help for not well versed in the subject matter..And good for you ..
I'm horrid at math ..my kid taught me ..Lol.
http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-pu...
Well, when I homeschooled, there weren't many online programs like this. Some sources online, but not like this really.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 288,981 - 289,000 of305,060
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min lily boca raton fl 1,077,621
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Buck Crick 223,926
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 20 hr PEE PEE PETE 26,639
urgent loan needed apply now (Sep '13) Sun Danny 2
loan needed (Dec '13) Sun Danny 4
Hairston's bounceback game highlights big day f... Jul 16 Go go d 1
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Jul 15 AnnCarter 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••