Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
279,101 - 279,120 of 305,180 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
That poster is not me, Moron.
i didn't say it was. at least not in this post. feeling a bit jumpy and defensive there aren't you?
worships reality

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>We both know better than that.
What else ya got?
you just can't help yourself can you?

anti semite.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
The other poster is not wrong. Christianity took the word and first used it in the KJV. Prior to that, it is not mentioned in the bible. The Hebrew word, Sheol, is used.
"hell (n.)
Old English hel, helle, "nether world, abode of the dead, infernal regions," from Proto-Germanic *haljo "the underworld" (cf. Old Frisian helle, Dutch hel, Old Norse hel, German Hölle, Gothic halja "hell") "the underworld," literally "concealed place" (cf. Old Norse hellir "cave, cavern"), from PIE *kel- "to cover, conceal, save" (see cell).
The English word may be in part from Old Norse Hel (from Proto-Germanic *halija "one who covers up or hides something"), in Norse mythology the name of Loki's daughter, who rules over the evil dead in Niflheim, the lowest of all worlds (nifl "mist"). Transfer of a pagan concept and word to a Christian idiom. In Middle English, also of the Limbus Patrum, place where the Patriarchs, Prophets, etc. awaited the Atonement. Used in the KJV for Old Testament Hebrew Sheol and New Testament Greek Hades, Gehenna. Used figuratively for "state of misery, any bad experience" since at least late 14c. As an expression of disgust, etc., first recorded 1670s.
Expression Hell in a handbasket is c.1941, perhaps a revision of earlier heaven in a handbasket (c.1913), with a sense of "easy passage" to whichever destination. Hell or high water is apparently a variation of between the devil and the deep blue sea. To wish someone would go to hell is in Shakespeare ("Merchant of Venice"). Snowball's chance in hell "no chance" is from 1931; till hell freezes over "never" is from 1919. To ride hell for leather is from 1889, originally with reference to riding on horseback. Hell on wheels is said to be from 1843 in DAS; popularity dates from 1869 in reference to the temporary workers' towns along the U.S. transcontinental railroad and their vices."
http://etymonline.com/...
Words have meanings??
And traceable origins?

Wow.

It's always been a sticking point with me, that there are not only hundreds of different 'Bibles', but thousands, maybe a million, different translations of them. The word of man is at the root of every one.

Another sticking point, is that so many folks, though they all consider themselves 'Christians', also consider their own version of Christianity to be the only 'real' one.

It seems to me, an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent being would only need one method of communication. Otherwise, how can you call him omnipresent, omniscient, or omnipotent?
:)
Gtown71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think in the olden days of Christianity the threat of Hell was used to control the behavior of the herd.
Perhaps on some, but no more than today. The real tangable threat of jail, and or death penalty does very little to stop folks from an array of crime.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every sector of christianity think they will be the only ones to achieve heaven.
I find that amusing:
A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?"
The man says, "Methodist."
St. Peter looks down his list and says, "Go to Room 24, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8."
Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. "Religion?"
"Lutheran."
"Go to Room 18, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8."
A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"
"Presbyterian."
"Go to Room 11, but be very quiet as you pass Room 8."
The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for different denominations, but why must I be quiet when I pass Room 8?"
St. Peter tells him, "Well, the Baptists are in Room 8, and they think they're the only ones here."
Notice that in the "joke" it is all men that enter heaven. Can't even get a woman in a religious joke.
Hilarious!
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Katie wrote:
okay, my bad. not a christian link, but a christian ad. sorry.
http://www.biblestudying.net/cosmo-5.html

http://www.biblestudying.net/cosmo-7.html

Here are Just 2 pages on this site. If you search it there are lots more info.
This is not an ad

In the end of time. Heaven and the New Earth

Or Lake if fire.

This also talks about Sheol..not either place. Sort if a place of waiting

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
?? You mean murder well yes I guess it does. Doesn't make it easier on the families. Not fatal car accidents either. I guess "stuff" does
Good things happen. Bad things happen. We are all responsible for our reactions to whatever happens. Any adult who expects life to be easy is a fool and creates his/her own disappointments. It is what it is and it is possible to be happy with the realities of life, even the bad ones. Life is good :-)

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think in the olden days of Christianity the threat of Hell was used to control the behavior of the herd.
Still is, imo.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Words have meanings??
And traceable origins?
Wow.
It's always been a sticking point with me, that there are not only hundreds of different 'Bibles', but thousands, maybe a million, different translations of them. The word of man is at the root of every one.
Another sticking point, is that so many folks, though they all consider themselves 'Christians', also consider their own version of Christianity to be the only 'real' one.
It seems to me, an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent being would only need one method of communication. Otherwise, how can you call him omnipresent, omniscient, or omnipotent?
Easiest answer. He is all powerful and perfect. But look who His audience is. As I said simplest message love God love your neighbor.

Even that got all tangled up.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text> Good things happen. Bad things happen. We are all responsible for our reactions to whatever happens. Any adult who expects life to be easy is a fool and creates his/her own disappointments. It is what it is and it is possible to be happy with the realities of life, even the bad ones. Life is good :-)
True but it's worse when it happens to you and your family. Just saying. "Stuff happens" was a bit cold.

But you are right it does.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a good example of why I personally, cannot and will NEVER believe in your version of "faith". This 'saved' shit is meaningless bullshit. I would NEVER believe in a deity that unless one is "saved" would bar them from heaven. That's not ANY g-d, that's satan.
Tonight, many dozens of people - and again, too many child victims - of MANY faiths are with G-d. My prayers go out to all the families.
It was really storming here 8000 without power.

Told hubby there s a tornado in Cooper City
They had just done one of those 10 second breaking. I misheard.

Watched the news. All that devastation. And such a big one.
God watch over them tomorrow..said it could happen again.

Hubby just told me the day care kids we thought safe in basement. 24 drowned. Water got in. Oh dear Lord bless them and their parents

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Easiest answer. He is all powerful and perfect. But look who His audience is. As I said simplest message love God love your neighbor.
Even that got all tangled up.
Talk about 'convenient'...

His audience is HIS OWN CREATION, Rose. He punishes it for being WHAT HE CREATED.

No. I reject that 'god'.

Utterly.

He is YOUR creation, and you created him to comfort your fears of death. Glad he's working for you, but that sort of 'god' will never work for me.
Katie

Auburn, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Words have meanings??
And traceable origins?
Wow.
Yep, these have been my thoughts as well.

Atrisco Village

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
True but it's worse when it happens to you and your family. Just saying. "Stuff happens" was a bit cold.
But you are right it does.
Not cold, just real. I'm far, far from dispassionate. Look at the specialty I chose in which to work.
Katie

Auburn, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.biblestudying.net/cosmo-5.html
http://www.biblestudying.net/cosmo-7.html
Here are Just 2 pages on this site. If you search it there are lots more info.
This is not an ad
In the end of time. Heaven and the New Earth
Or Lake if fire.
This also talks about Sheol..not either place. Sort if a place of waiting
My link went to Harper. There's an ad at the bottom of the page. I mistook the ad as being the site name.

I'll check out your links later. The etymology of the word HELL shows it's too young to've been spoken by Jesus, which is the claim. The concept of being away from God is similar, but the word wasn't used to refer to it until much later.

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

worships reality wrote:
<quoted text>
you just can't help yourself can you?
anti semite.
Dude. Tell it to the mirror.

Next....
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Anyone having problems with the new outlook.com .

Think it's a beta??? For hotmail. Weird day

And on God. You can believe in Him or not. I did not invent Him .

I love Him. No other way to say it. Really.

But I respect your right to disagree. But I don't want to be a cause for negativity about Him.

and that is what I am saying. He can take it but I can't.

I try to respect everyone's beliefs. I say imo and I believe..Etc. I don't talk negative or make mocking statements to anyone's beliefs. But that's me.

If you want to talk about my beliefs and Faith. I have explained over and over. You can continue .If you all wish to.

Peace

“Truly Pro-Life”

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
Anyone having problems with the new outlook.com .
Think it's a beta??? For hotmail. Weird day
And on God. You can believe in Him or not. I did not invent Him .
I love Him. No other way to say it. Really.
But I respect your right to disagree. But I don't want to be a cause for negativity about Him.
and that is what I am saying. He can take it but I can't.
I try to respect everyone's beliefs. I say imo and I believe..Etc. I don't talk negative or make mocking statements to anyone's beliefs. But that's me.
If you want to talk about my beliefs and Faith. I have explained over and over. You can continue .If you all wish to.
Peace
Explaining my own beliefs, and rejecting yours, isn't mocking you - it's just my differing opinion.

If speaking about my own belief in the Divine, which IMO doesn't require us to believe in any specific way, and openly rejecting for myself the beliefs you profess, is perceived as mocking you, I apologize - because I didn't mean it that way.

If you're going to interpret my beliefs as negativity about god, and you 'can't take it', I'd probably better not continue to engage with you on this topic, because I'm not a sadist who enjoys tormenting people. Especially not folks I like.

Have a good night, Rose.
The Prince

Phillipsburg, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in the Divine. I do not believe in your version. I posted the way I did because I was talking to someone who does worship him. I've read the bible. Several times. It doesn't change anything.
It's not loving to exile your child when you know that they will spend eternity in a place of torture that you created. There is nothing "loving" about that.
Even if my children hated me, I'd still love them, and I would never allow them to be tortured. How can you worship a being that is less compassionate than many of his own creation?
There is no "choice" when one option leads to eternal torture.
"It's not loving to exile your child when you know that they will spend eternity in a place of torture that you created. There is nothing "loving" about that."

Yet you support a woman "choosing" to kill her unborn child. Hypocrite much.
The Prince

Phillipsburg, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You look down your own nose at yourself!! You label yourself a sinner.....you are full of self guilt and paranoia. This is how religion traps you. Now try to convince anyone that you are happy while considering yourself a low life. Your religion makes no sense whatsoever. It instills guilt and shame at every corner, you are guilty for being born.
Tell everyone again how you hate pregnancy there lezzy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••