Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Full story: Newsday

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.
Comments
276,061 - 276,080 of 305,181 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
Way back when..before aroe contraception and personal responsibility was touted as the means to get to the Zpg goal. ZERO POULATION GROWTH. It was also seen as the great equalizer fir us womdn. I am all for equality of the sexes..and have been for a long time. BETTER pay for women was something that was a mantra in my home. I think Pp was a great thing for women when its main job was teaching and providing CONTRACEPTION. It may still do tgat but it is a great abortion provider and as a business it is not in the business if cutting down its future business in the ways I suggested before.
Since I was the bread winner for a good part of My daughters life ..i made sure she went to college and became a professional. So please do not think I have little regard for those of my own sex. The thing is womens lib should not be measured by access to do away with her offspring but by a womans value to herself..her career her children her husband and if she believes to her God. Like it or not our bodies are made in a way that we are the ones who carry children. If we do not want to have them we should do anything we can with all that is Now available not to get pregnant.
I empathize with any woman with an unplanned pregnancy..more than you can possibly know..but my rights should not trump my childs that I concieved.
Since this is NOT the law..everything should be done to lower tge number of abortions..and IMHO..not viewing it as a way to sustain a lower birth rate is a start.
I'm sorry, but the right of a woman to make her own medical decisions, the same as a man has, IS an important part of equality.

Just because we as a gender can gestate, doesn't mean individual women must gestate every pregnancy, or even gestate at all.

As I said previously, human beings circumvent our biological natures DAILY.

An embryo/fetus has no civil rights. There is really no way to give it any without removing some of the woman's. Not going to happen.

A woman has the legal, AND moral right to make her own choice regarding her own uterus and pregnancy, based upon her own circumstances and moral code, and without interference from those who think they know better than she does what she should do.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Surgery of any kind is an invasion of the body by unatural means. It takes a toll.
Having your partner put on a condom does not.
I was tslking about contraception being better than a procedure ..especially if it happens over and over
Well of course prevention is better than surgery.

I doubt anyone would disagree with that.

You can say the same to smokers, to those who don't eat right, etc.

Now what?

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And she had 2.. thinking she should have figured this all out sooner.
On the subject of birth control. I know its not infallible. I just also know that decisions ending another human life..one we are responsible for cannot bring out thh
e best in womanhood.. I am with you on the ligations tho women can regret them.. but that decision only affects the woman..not a child within her womb. Hard to believe she cant find a different doc to do it..
And while I as I do partly for spiritual reasons as we are ending the life of a child of God.
I also feel this as a woman who would rather see our equality come from a different kind of progress than killing off our offspring.
I do thank God that choice was NOT available when I was a kid..
I am not sure that all of the pioneers who gave so much to the womens movement envisioned 800 little lives ended as a sign that we had ARRIVED.
Nor seeing our grandkids hooking up in middle school for that matter and winding up at abortion clinics...with maybe mom never the wiser Such a callous outlook both tge HOOKING UP and the abortion..and at such a young age.
.SIghs big time.
Our equality must come from all aspects of life. INCLUDING having the equal right to make our own medical decisions that men have. And I'm sorry, but that must include the right to continue, or end, any pregnancy we have as we see fit for it to really BE equal.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

SORRY BITNER
cant get to thd relly keg usinv this kindle so will answer here..

Anyway I know that is your and Katies point of view. To me its very sad. And I know Roe is not going anywhere. I know it is the law.

Trust me when I was sixteen I had never heard of abortion legal or otherwise. There was nk pill etc.. we barely knew a thing..about our bodies andnothing about boys bodies.

But even tho Roe is law..I would think that women of today would like to see our equal rights evolve in future generations to where abortions were done a whole lot less by use of contraception and personal respect..and a lot less hooking up..

I have akways seen womens rights and our efforts to be equal as SO much more than our right to end the lives of our offspring. Its depressing to see what has become of the hopes of all the women who had it a lot worse than today but managed anyway...and hope for and worked for better for their kids. Killing the unborn was not on a lot of our lists as a sign of improvement.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
SORRY BITNER
cant get to thd relly keg usinv this kindle so will answer here..
Anyway I know that is your and Katies point of view. To me its very sad. And I know Roe is not going anywhere. I know it is the law.
Trust me when I was sixteen I had never heard of abortion legal or otherwise. There was nk pill etc.. we barely knew a thing..about our bodies andnothing about boys bodies.
But even tho Roe is law..I would think that women of today would like to see our equal rights evolve in future generations to where abortions were done a whole lot less by use of contraception and personal respect..and a lot less hooking up..
I have akways seen womens rights and our efforts to be equal as SO much more than our right to end the lives of our offspring. Its depressing to see what has become of the hopes of all the women who had it a lot worse than today but managed anyway...and hope for and worked for better for their kids. Killing the unborn was not on a lot of our lists as a sign of improvement.
As I said, of course our equality is based upon more than that. How does that mean it shouldn't INCLUDE the right to make one's own medical decisions?

By the way, Sanger was ONE of those feminists, and she promoted birth control BECAUSE she saw what having no choice but to have child after child did to her mother's health. Sanger was AGAINST abortion, too, a fact that far too many on your side of the argument like to ignore.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please remember if the God of the bible is real, ok? He set it up, that one must come to Him by faith, not proof.
Now I have all the proof "I" need going from one extreme to another, and after looking at it with my gymnastic mind :) only comming to ONE conclusion. He is God.
Jesus Christ is "our" only hope, by grace through faith.
I could wonder why kids must loose their first set of teeth among many many other questions, but again I'm not God.
The answers to those questions just may be evolution. It makes more sense than the idea that they are tests from a deity. Or the mysteries of a deity.

BTW, I'm working through the book of John, but I'm not getting answers. Perhaps you had specific chapters and verses in mind?

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok -I was for abortion rights, even though I don't know why, other then maybe wanting it to be an open.option in case "I" wanted to use it, no not for me, but for whomever was with me.
Make me hippocrite? Maybe, but my change came from within -not somethimg "I" chose to start believing one day.
Without my.God experience I would still believe as I did before, only be more firm in that old way of thinking.
Only one thing has changed in my life.
He that hath the Son hath life -he that hath not the Son of God, hath not life.
Yea, they are dead, though they live :(
I don't think it's about "abortion rights" but just rights, and freedom. You had a "God experience" but do you now expect everyone to live by your rules and experiences? I don't think so...you can only make decisions about your life, and you have to give others the same option.

“Dan IS the Man”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>It's quite entertaining, and basically involves Jesus having had a pet dinosaur. Oh, and there's something about bananas being proof against evolution in there too...but by the time I got to the Jesus's dinosaur thing, I was laughing to hard to continue reading....
Scientology makes more sense than Hovind.
Oh, I have to read this now.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
A very interesting reply, and I thank you for the time it took, but I must disagree on several points. First, plants and animals grew bigger because there was a much greater oxygen percentage in the air at that time. Second, evolution is not about one species changing into another but rather each species improving and adapting through natural selection. As you must know there are fossils that show this process and clearly prove there were earlier versions of many species.
Also, we have something known as human vestigiality, or organs and body parts that no longer serve a purpose. For example; the appendix, tailbone (coccyx) and wisdom teeth.
I'm not familiar with the "hovind theory" and will have to look it up.
Kent Hovind is a whackjob, who's a scam artist that preys on idiots like Gtown. Hes a "young earth creationist" who's aims is to convince his VERY few followers to reject theories of evolution, geophysics, and cosmology in favor of his interpretation of the Genesis creation narrative from the Bible.

He's in jail for 10 years under over 56 seperate counts, including tax fraud. He's also a conspiracy theorist, and believes (supposedly) that the government was behind the Oklahoma City bombing as well as 9/11. He calls himself a DR., even tho he doesn't have an MD OR a PHD.

The nutball is "famous" for his $250,000 reward challange to anyone that could debunk his "theories", and when someone DID, he sued them.

And lost.

Is there any real wonder what kind of a deluded fool Gtown is that he thinks Hovind is someone to be taken seriously?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So for the good of the planet or whatever abortion is a good thing..next comes getting rid of gramma (thats my generation) on an iceflo.. life should be held sacred or we all lose our rights to life..but then again maybe that is the idea. All this death committee stuff.
anyway that is not my reason for being prolife..I have been for decades...
I hope I personally never in a pisition to be vegetative. And I believe in DNRs as long as they do not become the norm for the convenience of others and population control.
Not the topic but older people have worked hard all of their luves..paid taxes and Social Security. For decades..and yet some people see them as just a drain on the system. It is a sad state of affairs but ghe inevitable follow up to what you are talking about..abortion as good for populaion control..when one set of lives becomes expendable it is only a matter of time where others are .
Is this what you want for your daughters and granddaughters.
@@ This is some of the most overdramatic bullshit I've ever heard.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Human beings were never meant to live as long as we do. We circumvent nature to do so. Daily. Yet when a woman doesn't want to remain pregnant, and uses available medical procedures, suddenly circumventing nature is a bad thing. Why is that?
There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that the world's population is growing too much, and worrying about how the world will sustain life at all if the population grows too much more.
Holding life to be sacred does not preclude taking life. If it did, we wouldn't be able to take antibiotics, or even eat. I know, you mean human life only, but even there, we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves, our loved ones, our communities from criminals, or our country. Personally, I hold all life to be sacred, humans no more than any other life.
"Grandma", being a born person, has civil rights. A fetus does not, and is in no way comparable to a person who has civil rights, AND who has actually lived a life with experiences, thoughts, sensation and emotions.
WELL SAID Bit! Thank you!

Not that the nuts will listen....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
To repeat something in my last post..the Chinese have great population control..the next step IS FORCED abortion..killing off tge old getting rid of tge handicapped etc
It is a slippery slope that we have been on since Roe.
What COMPLETE AND UTTER NONSENSE.

Roe has NOTHING to do with "killing off the old or handicapped". Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

This is the kind of bullshit thinking that keeps you and others like you on the fringe not only of society, but of sanity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, the NAF is just a "good old boy" orgnization for abortionists.
Maybe, but the NAF has nothing to do with laws, regulations or fullfillment OF those laws and regulations. Period. Your beating the wrong horse.

I'm going to watch the Anderson Cooper vid you posted today!
Chick Brilliance Returns

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't speaking about population control.
I was speaking of the imbalance you wish to heap upon the citizens of this country. Bitner touched on it above.
None of these things you worry about -- "first the babies, then the old..." -- will be an issue if every single individual continues to make their individual medical decisions without interference by the gov't, the clergy, or nosy parkers who think they mean well.
Really, you might want to watch what you wish for... your fears could be met by self-fulfilling prophecy.
Katie, you are so patient. Talking to that one is a lot like talking to a stubborn, know it all, and now obviously Faux News brainwashed, four year old. I just scroll on by until I see your answers.:).

Glad to see you all still have this covered! You pro-choicers are all brilliant!

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
WELL SAID Bit! Thank you!
Not that the nuts will listen....
Given that she responded with a claim that humans used to live much longer than we do now, and you just know she's basing it on the bible stories of Methuselah, et al, I doubt what I said will make any difference to any of them. You cannot reason with someone who is basing their entire worldview on their mythology.
Chick Brilliance Returns

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
To repeat something in my last post..the Chinese have great population control..the next step IS FORCED abortion..killing off tge old getting rid of tge handicapped etc
It is a slippery slope that we have been on since Roe.
Yes because of all of those old and handicapped people we've killed off in droves in the FORTY YEARS since Roe v Wade.

Does Fact or Reality mean anything to you Rose?

Why do you prefer to dwell on paranoid, non existent BS? If you don't like Roe or abortion, fine but why pretend it means it might, maybe, could, oh dear, WILL lead to aborting born people? Such silly hysteria.
Chick Brilliance Returns

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
What COMPLETE AND UTTER NONSENSE.
Roe has NOTHING to do with "killing off the old or handicapped". Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
This is the kind of bullshit thinking that keeps you and others like you on the fringe not only of society, but of sanity.
Lol. Should have read ahead.:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Chick Brilliance Returns wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Should have read ahead.:)
Its truly frightening to think that some idiots actually BELIEVE this shit!

Nice to see you girl!

“Truly Pro-Life”

Since: Nov 11

Proudly Pro-choice

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

rosesz wrote:
Pardon the mispellings worse than usual..havs to get a grip..but this device doesnt help. I see my finger hit the correct keys but like all my h s come out as g s. And it skips letters. Plus I am a bad typist..and this keyboard is sensitive and then rewrites words. Wish I could gef an IPad. But I woulx probably still mess up. Thanks for your patience all.
Technology can be wonderful, but is often frustrating. I sympathize with you on this, and have no intention of berating or mocking you for it. Those teeny little keyboards are a real pain!!

And I offer an apology, R, for having seemed dismissive of your feelings on abortion. I understand why you're so passionate, about it not being as rare as all of us would LIKE it to be. Prevention is ALWAYS better than having to find a remedy, for any unfavorable circumstance, including unintended pregnancy.

I could wish that more young women were not routinely advised to 'just say no' without explanation, and most of all, examples, of WHY they should. It's not JUST about pregnancy; it's mostly about self-respect. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of that in our teen-girl population. I think the lack of self-respect is more of a problem than the purveyors of strict celibacy and consistent abstinence are willing to admit.

And a great deal of that, in my opinion, stems from the narrow definitions of 'attractive','worthy', and 'pleasing' we give them, with the commercialization of beauty and sex. Our society is conditioning females from toddlerhood, to define themselves by whether or not men find them to be any of those things...and if not, we tell them, they must "change" in an effort to mold themselves to the societal ideal. It's brutality, in my opinion, and points out our communal hypocrisy as well, since men are societally conditioned to take whatever they want from life, and anyone else be damned.

There are just so many things you seem to overlook, in condemnation of women's choices to terminate a pregnancy, that I've become a bit frustrated myself, on numerous occasions, with your posts.

I will try to do better - but I simply cannot agree that outlawing abortion is the answer. I truly believe that declaring reproductive choices as the responsibility of the woman involved, is the only way to approach the subject with any moral ground to stand on.
anon

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Test...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min THE DEVIL 1,083,757
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min Patrick 224,606
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Fight On 26,736
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) 11 hr Robert Z 278
K-State's Stephen Hurt adapting to new surround... Tue Monica 2
loan offer with low interest Mon Pastor james 1
Carmelo Anthony, Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters faci... Jul 27 engd 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••