Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 312674 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

iryw

Allentown, PA

#293885 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The answers to your evolution theory however can be found in Genesis..
Do you even know what a scientific theory is? Evolution is an observed fact. The theory offers the overarching framework for explaining how it happens. But the fact that it happens is not in dispute.
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
a lot easier to believe than we once were a burst of energy...
Is this supposed to be your interpretation of the BBT? LOL
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
..then crawled out of the sea.....
Humans didn't crawl out of the sea. Our ancestors did. This is well documented. Look up Tiktaalik.
rosesz wrote:
<...became chimps or whatever ..and then became men..
We never became chimps. Chimps are our closest relatives and it is a fact that we share a common ancestor with chimps. Look up human chromosome #2.
rosesz wrote:
<... I read somewhere show we all have common mitichondral
DNA..Humans do that is. ITcame from Eve the created woman.
So if there is a piece of DNA research that fits your view of biblical creation then you accept it. But if research based on the same properties of DNA proves we have common ancestors with chimps you reject it. Interesting. YOu have just admitted that you have no interest in the validity of actual research; you just look for anything that makes you feel good about your silly beliefs.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293886 Apr 27, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>Technology can be wonderful, but is often frustrating. I sympathize with you on this, and have no intention of berating or mocking you for it. Those teeny little keyboards are a real pain!!
And I offer an apology, R, for having seemed dismissive of your feelings on abortion. I understand why you're so passionate, about it not being as rare as all of us would LIKE it to be. Prevention is ALWAYS better than having to find a remedy, for any unfavorable circumstance, including unintended pregnancy.
I could wish that more young women were not routinely advised to 'just say no' without explanation, and most of all, examples, of WHY they should. It's not JUST about pregnancy; it's mostly about self-respect. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of that in our teen-girl population. I think the lack of self-respect is more of a problem than the purveyors of strict celibacy and consistent abstinence are willing to admit.
And a great deal of that, in my opinion, stems from the narrow definitions of 'attractive','worthy', and 'pleasing' we give them, with the commercialization of beauty and sex. Our society is conditioning females from toddlerhood, to define themselves by whether or not men find them to be any of those things...and if not, we tell them, they must "change" in an effort to mold themselves to the societal ideal. It's brutality, in my opinion, and points out our communal hypocrisy as well, since men are societally conditioned to take whatever they want from life, and anyone else be damned.
There are just so many things you seem to overlook, in condemnation of women's choices to terminate a pregnancy, that I've become a bit frustrated myself, on numerous occasions, with your posts.
I will try to do better - but I simply cannot agree that outlawing abortion is the answer. I truly believe that declaring reproductive choices as the responsibility of the woman involved, is the only way to approach the subject with any moral ground to stand on.
I yhank you so much for that post and agree with much of it. We are as a society really skewing yojng women and men. Its like we are a twitter society seeking only to be famous or infamous on youtube.
I think the dependence on abortion instead of foresight adds to this.
BUT I Do know that Roe is law. I just pray that some sense will come into all of this mess.

Our bodies were created with the ability to have children. knowledge and science..all of which was non existent in my generation can keep that from hapoening...so often..
And then there is personal self respect vs the hook up generation. We all especially me ..fall short..but we now have prevention that should supercede this culture of death to the baby od call it a fetus..it is still the fruit of our loins. I dont condemn women and girls who get into trouble. I would be a super hypocrite...but I can hope and pray it becomes rarer that it is so.

Again thank you for your respect
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293887 Apr 27, 2013
iryw wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what a scientific theory is? Evolution is an observed fact. The theory offers the overarching framework for explaining how it happens. But the fact that it happens is not in dispute.
<quoted text>
Is this supposed to be your interpretation of the BBT? LOL
<quoted text>
Humans didn't crawl out of the sea. Our ancestors did. This is well documented. Look up Tiktaalik.
<quoted text>
We never became chimps. Chimps are our closest relatives and it is a fact that we share a common ancestor with chimps. Look up human chromosome #2.
<quoted text>
So if there is a piece of DNA research that fits your view of biblical creation then you accept it. But if research based on the same properties of DNA proves we have common ancestors with chimps you reject it. Interesting. YOu have just admitted that you have no interest in the validity of actual research; you just look for anything that makes you feel good about your silly beliefs.
THE burst of energy came from some poster trying to explain BBT..

THERE is no evidence tgat man had any ancestor other than man..no missing link. He was created man.

You are treating your scientific supposedly beliefs as a religion..when there are scientists with other theorys. THEORIES not fact.

I believe thru faith in God for sure and His word the bible. I admit it. BUT you have the same kind of faith in tgeories which keep changing every few decades or days..
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293888 Apr 27, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm You and SassyJM seem to have the same issues regarding the same issues. It's too bad she's not posting right now because I think the two of you would really hit it off due to all you seem to have in common.... You guys, yes you guys, seem to write similarly, too.
Seriously..you think I am a guy. Katie ..I have always posted under only one name. My name is Rose. As many here can tell you. Even those on your side of tge argument.

I was around and living through the womens movement long before you I think.

But old as I am ..I have always been a woman..and if insults are your answer than ai am sorry for you.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#293889 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm I didnt know that about Sanger. Interesting..
But it shows tgat many of tge womdn of my generatio fought hard in our lives And lived them in hard ways to give our kids a better lifd. But I feel sad that the world I am going to leave behind for them has this culture of frankly death of their offspring.
I know of a woman..a professional. Had 2 kids and got pregnant again..not on purpose. Kind of astrain on their lives as her boys were young. Some early test of tge baby showed he might have Downs..some protein maybe..not sure. So herd was an kncinvenient child..possibly abnormal..This yuoung lady had research on Downs in droves by the time you could sneeze and an absolute determination to have her baby..Thank God for her and I am so proud. Her baby was born and was normal. Going thru the terrible 3s but lol normal. I thank God for him and for her bravery and faith.
In another household this child might have been done away with as soon as an abnormal test was done or even at the news she was pregnant. And yes I know that was her choice. But too many babies arsxwhisked away bg abortion..today and this does affect our cukturdle. It has to.
No babies are "whisked away", there is no proof that any woman would make such a decision in that short a time (sneezing), and there is no "culture of death". This melodramatic use of language is part of the problem in this debate.

Okay, no idea what "cukturdle" was supposed to be. Culture, maybe? LOL, you're really having a time with that Kindle, aren't you?

If that's what you were saying, I disagree. The world we (no idea what your age is, I'll be turning 50 this year) are leaving behind is one in which each person may make their own medical decisions, as they should be allowed.
Gtown71

United States

#293890 Apr 27, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>It's quite entertaining, and basically involves Jesus having had a pet dinosaur. Oh, and there's something about bananas being proof against evolution in there too...but by the time I got to the Jesus's dinosaur thing, I was laughing to hard to continue reading....
Scientology makes more sense than Hovind.
When Dr. Hovind was a boy, and had a bigger brother, and there was only one banna left, his big brother showed him the darker veins that run along the inside of a bannana peal and told him that bannanas came from dead spiders. Those darker veins were the spiders legs and the bannana was just a bi product of dead spiders.

He got hovind to give him the bannana, becouse he lied.

This is what much of science does "THEY LIE".

There is no missing link -all are fake, made up, or explained.
one thing for certain when finding a bone in the groud. Something died :)
Gtown71

United States

#293892 Apr 27, 2013
not a playa1965 wrote:
<quoted text>And thanks to our thoughtfully crafted, and beautifully phrased Constitution, your innate right to worship as you please is recognized in the United States.
Unfortunately for you, that right also belongs to the rest of us...even if we don't believe what you do.
Poor thing.
Yes and that's that, just like many things we can do that are legal, but are sin. We need a savior.
That's it, not clean up your life "since you couldn't on your best day ",but need a savior.
grumpy

Hackensack, NJ

#293893 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Slippery slope ...for many reasons..oh wait I am due for my death talk with my doc as provided for under tge new healthcadd directives..or is that next year..seriously..what person does not have a talk with his doc about many things..after all I am old.
You've been having a death talk with your pastor for many years when you should have been having life talks.
Gtown71

United States

#293894 Apr 27, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
The answers to those questions just may be evolution. It makes more sense than the idea that they are tests from a deity. Or the mysteries of a deity.
BTW, I'm working through the book of John, but I'm not getting answers. Perhaps you had specific chapters and verses in mind?
I would suggest the gospels in all 4 perhaps. I've been told it is a view from 4 different angles.

One tells two of my favorite words in the bible "and peter"

After Jesus Christ rose from the dead -the message was clear to those who found the empty tomb. go tell the disiples AND PETER that HE HAS RISEN!!

Peter was a disiple, so why would they point him out special?

If you've read -you would know peter had just turned his back on his Lord and Savior "I can relate", BUT that Never took his Savior by surprize.

Peter was feeling about as low as a person could, and THAT IS WHY Jesus wanted him to know all was well! I for one am very thankful.

Those who know not God, or not known of God, are not tested.
Only His children are tested, and that is only to help us, not to make us quailify for Heaven.

We are quailfied "justified " the very momment we are "truly born again "

The last words the lost hear from a Holy God -depart ye workers of iniquity FOR I NEVER KNEW YOU.

plus it may never make sense, there's nothing about spiritual things that make much sense to the carnal mind.

I don't know how a black cow eats green grass, and gives off white milk, but it happens everyday.
If science shows the answer, and they do -great, but they should stick to what they KNOW, not what they BELIEVE -THAT'S When it becomes faith.
Gtown71

United States

#293895 Apr 27, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's about "abortion rights" but just rights, and freedom. You had a "God experience" but do you now expect everyone to live by your rules and experiences? I don't think so...you can only make decisions about your life, and you have to give others the same option.
I do fight that issue, thinking in the wrong frame of mind. I should never be ok with abortion, BUT if there was never another abortion EVER, and only married people had sex, staying together till death, and no more bad movie, everyone went to church every time the doors were open, and everyone was kind, and the countries crime rate went to zero. The government did all they could THE RIGHT WAY. people would still be dying and going to Hell.

Our best days are as filthy rags in His sight.

He is only impressed with what His Son has done, and those who have accepted Him.:)

Jesus Christ truly saves.

Ps. Try an experiment is you will -if you know you don't know God, try and watch an hour or two of Dr. Hovinds theory. Watch how uncomfortable you may get. Maybe keep a paper, and write down how your mind wanders, how many times you get up to "do " anything. That's the same for watching anything or reading anything about God.

There are spirits working around you, that will try anything to gain peoples attention.
How many times I've seen this myself.:)
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293896 Apr 27, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No babies are "whisked away", there is no proof that any woman would make such a decision in that short a time (sneezing), and there is no "culture of death". This melodramatic use of language is part of the problem in this debate.
Okay, no idea what "cukturdle" was supposed to be. Culture, maybe? LOL, you're really having a time with that Kindle, aren't you?
If that's what you were saying, I disagree. The world we (no idea what your age is, I'll be turning 50 this year) are leaving behind is one in which each person may make their own medical decisions, as they should be allowed.
I am over a decade older. Gave birth to 2 children one as a teen..before Roe was law. So I have been around . I will try to cut down on the rhetoric. But I do feel all of this loss of life has caused a disconnect and divided this country horribly.

As for my kindle ..I love it for many things..buf postjng is Not one of them.for sure
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293897 Apr 27, 2013
grumpy wrote:
<quoted text>You've been having a death talk with your pastor for many years when you should have been having life talks.
Lol..good one..but no. I do know we all die though sooner ot later. Though I have faith that death is not the end. I am right or others on this forum are. Either wsy I wil not be surprised. But I have faith.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#293898 Apr 27, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest the gospels in all 4 perhaps. I've been told it is a view from 4 different angles.
One tells two of my favorite words in the bible "and peter"
After Jesus Christ rose from the dead -the message was clear to those who found the empty tomb. go tell the disiples AND PETER that HE HAS RISEN!!
Peter was a disiple, so why would they point him out special?
If you've read -you would know peter had just turned his back on his Lord and Savior "I can relate", BUT that Never took his Savior by surprize.
Peter was feeling about as low as a person could, and THAT IS WHY Jesus wanted him to know all was well! I for one am very thankful.
Those who know not God, or not known of God, are not tested.
Only His children are tested, and that is only to help us, not to make us quailify for Heaven.
We are quailfied "justified " the very momment we are "truly born again "
The last words the lost hear from a Holy God -depart ye workers of iniquity FOR I NEVER KNEW YOU.
plus it may never make sense, there's nothing about spiritual things that make much sense to the carnal mind.
I don't know how a black cow eats green grass, and gives off white milk, but it happens everyday.
If science shows the answer, and they do -great, but they should stick to what they KNOW, not what they BELIEVE -THAT'S When it becomes faith.
Science DOES stick to what it knows. Your failure to understand scientific method doesn't change that. That is the whole point. YOU stick to what you BELIEVE, and pretend you know.

I disagree that spiritual things don't make sense. My religious beliefs speak to my heart, AND make sense to my mind. If yours do not, then it's time to consider that it's not your mind at fault, but the beliefs themselves.
Gtown71

United States

#293899 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
From what little is said about Hovinds theories......including Gtown who said he did not believe in it all and that the man was a crook..i think he has taken great liberties with Genesis. For sure. Could be an educated fool.or a scam artist..just goes to show that all humans on every side of every belief are not perfect..sounds like he took things a bit far off track to me.
I dont think Gtown is deluded in his beliefs.. i think I would have looked elsewhere for answers about genesis..but that is me and asxI read it G did not swallow Hovind hook line and sinker
Yes -I think you put it best, when you said All sin :)
I like Dr. Hovind as a person and scientist, but far from agree with him on all things.
I would like any info you could send me to requarding creation.

Hope all has a good day, but me and my 6 yo must get our play on.

I know how a lost person views God -they feel it is something they would have to add to their life. For me, just thinking about going to some church for one hour a week was hard to even consider. I had NO DESIRE.

God changes our desires, yet we will never agree on all things, those in "in Christ" KNOW Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life.
I hope all have a great day.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#293900 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am over a decade older. Gave birth to 2 children one as a teen..before Roe was law. So I have been around . I will try to cut down on the rhetoric. But I do feel all of this loss of life has caused a disconnect and divided this country horribly.
As for my kindle ..I love it for many things..buf postjng is Not one of them.for sure
I remember trying to get on the internet with mine, and giving up after a while :) It's one of the original versions, maybe the newer ones are better, I don't know. And I have the same problems with my phone. I'll stick to my laptop, lol.

As I said earlier, abortion has been legal in this country for longer than it was ever illegal, and was legal when this country was founded. In other words, legal abortion is not just something that has occurred since Roe v Wade.

Nearly two-thirds of the country believes that Roe v Wade should be upheld, and that would include many who consider themselves pro-life. I know many pro-life people who don't think their own beliefs should govern others in this matter.

The actual numbers I find to be irrelevant, as to me it's a question of one woman making a decision for one pregnancy, her own. That pregnancy is none of my business.
feces for jesus

Bellmore, NY

#293901 Apr 27, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation -Gtown I live a very sinfilled life, and I love it, so I don't want to even think about a place called Hell, and wouldn't go look if you could show me the front door.
You're distorted interpretation of everything owns every action in your life. Continue to deny the fact that the word hell was never used in your bible.
IRYW

Allentown, PA

#293902 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
THE burst of energy came from some poster trying to explain BBT...
So your information about state of the art in scientific theory comes from random posters? You show no scientific literacy of any kind yet you can dispute the theories of the brightest people on the planet? Really?
rosesz wrote:
<
THERE is no evidence tgat man had any ancestor other than man....
Actually there is so much evidence that we all had common ancestors that no serious scientist disputes that or the basic theory of evolution. Again, you have a bible, which is food for toilet paper but useless for scientific knowledge. I have hundreds of years of the finest scientific research available. Let me ask you a question. Do you think DNA evidence should be used in criminal trials?
rosesz wrote:
<You are treating your scientific supposedly beliefs as a religion.
Not at all. Scientists follow the evidence where ever it leads. Religious people ignore the evidence unless it leads to the bible.
rosesz wrote:
<
.when there are scientists with other theorys. THEORIES not fact.
Evolution is a fact. The theory explains how. A scientific theory is MUCH bigger than mere facts. Theories are established frameworks to explain the observed facts about the world and the mechanisms at work. There is no other theory for the origin of all species on earth; creationism and intelligent design are not theories accepted by the scientific community, they are only religious claims.
rosesz wrote:
<
I believe thru faith in God for sure and His word the bible. I admit it. BUT you have the same kind of faith in tgeories which keep changing every few decades or days..
What you see as a weakness in science is actually the strength. Every discovery moves us a bit closer to understanding something. If a conclusion is proven wrong, we move on and explore further. Do you think that a heart transplant in 2013 bears any resemblance to the first one done is the 1960s? Do you condemn science because it got some things wrong with early heart transplants and then improved the procedures to correct those mistakes?
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293903 Apr 27, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember trying to get on the internet with mine, and giving up after a while :) It's one of the original versions, maybe the newer ones are better, I don't know. And I have the same problems with my phone. I'll stick to my laptop, lol.
As I said earlier, abortion has been legal in this country for longer than it was ever illegal, and was legal when this country was founded. In other words, legal abortion is not just something that has occurred since Roe v Wade.
Nearly two-thirds of the country believes that Roe v Wade should be upheld, and that would include many who consider themselves pro-life. I know many pro-life people who don't think their own beliefs should govern others in this matter.
The actual numbers I find to be irrelevant, as to me it's a question of one woman making a decision for one pregnancy, her own. That pregnancy is none of my business.
But bitner 50 million since Roe all after the pill came into use..there is a definite disconnect someplace in valuing the lives of the unborn. IMHO

i dont know on the figures regarding those who want Roe but many more tgan previously want restrictions such as parental nogification and to stop LTA as an elective procedure. Iam not talking about emergencies in a hospital done to try and SAVE the lives involved.where one or both die but electives done at sbortion clinics

So maybe there is some hope.
rosesz

Pompano Beach, FL

#293904 Apr 27, 2013
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
So your information about state of the art in scientific theory comes from random posters? You show no scientific literacy of any kind yet you can dispute the theories of the brightest people on the planet? Really?
<quoted text>
Actually there is so much evidence that we all had common ancestors that no serious scientist disputes that or the basic theory of evolution. Again, you have a bible, which is food for toilet paper but useless for scientific knowledge. I have hundreds of years of the finest scientific research available. Let me ask you a question. Do you think DNA evidence should be used in criminal trials?
<quoted text>
Not at all. Scientists follow the evidence where ever it leads. Religious people ignore the evidence unless it leads to the bible.
<quoted text>
Evolution is a fact. The theory explains how. A scientific theory is MUCH bigger than mere facts. Theories are established frameworks to explain the observed facts about the world and the mechanisms at work. There is no other theory for the origin of all species on earth; creationism and intelligent design are not theories accepted by the scientific community, they are only religious claims.
<quoted text>
What you see as a weakness in science is actually the strength. Every discovery moves us a bit closer to understanding something. If a conclusion is proven wrong, we move on and explore further. Do you think that a heart transplant in 2013 bears any resemblance to the first one done is the 1960s? Do you condemn science because it got some things wrong with early heart transplants and then improved the procedures to correct those mistakes?
Some of the worlds most famous scientists saw it as trying to underdtand Gods Creation.

I am attemting not to be rude as you are about the bible..so I will just reiterate you have your faith in kind of a moveable concept..I have mine in a Holy God.

Peace..oh yes I do believe DNA is a good tool for criminalists..until they either duplicate..mishandle or othedwise prove it not to be accurate. But for now I do think it good evidence esoecially if thd crininal has othef evidence agaknsg him. By thd way I also think OJ was guilty. So the sysrem is not infallible. God is. But we do the best
we can. Hopefully using the minds God gave us again peace
As I was saying

Brookfield, CT

#293905 Apr 27, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, abortion has not divided this country. There are only a few who think it should be stopped. The vast majority of people do NOT want legal abortion stopped. MOST people realize that women have ALWAYS had abortions. They also know they WILL always have abortions. You then have the option of safe abortions in clean clinics where no women die OR unskilled butchers that prey on desperate women where women die.

Which do YOU choose??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Earl 1,458,396
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 min Trojan 32,594
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) 7 hr Yin 17
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Sat Eagle 12 258,039
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Fri Go Blue Forever 57
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Nov 28 Local Warming 10,372
Should child beauty pageants be banned? (Sep '14) Nov 22 Heatherfeather 780
More from around the web