Hawthorne's Tuihalamaka has made huge...

Hawthorne's Tuihalamaka has made huge strides and wants to fini...

There are 17 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Jan 12, 2009, titled Hawthorne's Tuihalamaka has made huge strides and wants to fini.... In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Running back Lawrence Tuihalamaka wants to win the Lions Senior All-Star Game on Saturday for his teammates at Hawthorne.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

wtf

Highland, CA

#1 Jan 13, 2009
Serra to hawthorne. the right thing to do. go figure.
A GUY

United States

#2 Jan 13, 2009
wtf wrote:
Serra to hawthorne. the right thing to do. go figure.
serra aint for all just some, they probably did more "forcing" him out than him picking to leave ..... checkered past hope he stays out of trouble saw him against luezinger and culver tough hard runner with football genes stay strong and watch the haters!!!!!!
What CIF Rules

Fullerton, CA

#6 Jan 13, 2009
Um..........I wonder if he or his family lived in the same location when he went to Hawthorne as he did when he played at Serra? If so..........then would it be another CIF violation? Just food for thought. It wouldn't make any difference now that the season is over. Just forget about it then because they are 0-10. Watch the haters.
JC Football Coach

Garden Grove, CA

#7 Jan 13, 2009
A great prospect from a remarkable family. I'm proud of the Daily Breeze for doing this article, young men like this need a pat on the back and someone telling them to keep going.

Where would he be without football and coaches like Swain and Altenberg trying to help him?

Look for him to follow his broither Vuna at ECC.
HS Football Fan

Torrance, CA

#8 Jan 13, 2009
What CIF Rules wrote:
Um..........I wonder if he or his family lived in the same location when he went to Hawthorne as he did when he played at Serra? If so..........then would it be another CIF violation? Just food for thought. It wouldn't make any difference now that the season is over. Just forget about it then because they are 0-10. Watch the haters.
Kids that go to Serra can live anywhere because it is a Private school. Most of the athletes that go there do not live in Gardena.
Correction

Fullerton, CA

#9 Jan 13, 2009
"HS Football Fan: wrote- Kids that go to Serra can live anywhere because it is a Private school. Most of the athletes that go there do not live in Gardena."

True and not true but a very bad broad statement which shows you don't have any knowledge of the new CIF rules as of June of last year (2007). Just ask Brian Baucham's sister in the Serra track program and she will tell you that you are wrong as Serra got busted this past year for a violation of the new rule as it applied to track. She didn't go out of her way to break the rules, she and her school just didn't know about the new rules. The rule is, regardless if the school is a private school or a public school, it applies to all schools who are CIF signatory schools meaning that any school who has the ability to participate in CIF sanctioned playoff games are then subject to the CIF rules. The rule is if any player in any sport who transfers to another school prior to the new season must have his entire family and furnishings from the home moved from one location to another location (a different dwelling) before the new year/season begins otherwise he or she has to sit out for one season before he or she is eligible to play in the new season. So if a player lived in "house A" in Hawthorne and was enrolled in Serra and played at Serra then good; however, if that same player chose to leave Serra and go back to Hawthorne high, then the player and his family would have to move out of "house A" and go into "house B" even if the new home was next door to his original home in Hawthorne, the home he lived in when he was playing over at Serra. If any family member who previously lived with the player in the home at the time of his participation in the sport remained in the original home while the player moved into a new home or apartment, then the player would not be eligible and would be in violation. So if the player lived with mother in his home in Hawthorne and decided to move in with his uncle in the new home, but his mother remained in the original home and didn't move out of that original address, then the player would be in violation.

The rules were put into place last year to prevent cheating and to prevent the musical chairs of players using phony addresses of other friends and relatives and moving from school to school without accountability and the intention of the new rule was to prevent recruiting and to balance the playing field. There are many more players than you can imagine who are playing in various schools who are not aware that they are violation of the new CIF rules. The old days are part of the past and many players don't realize it. Once again, no one is saying this particular player violated any rules. I am simply corrected the record for the previous poster.
HS School Football fan

North Hollywood, CA

#10 Jan 13, 2009
Correction wrote:
"HS Football Fan: wrote- Kids that go to Serra can live anywhere because it is a Private school. Most of the athletes that go there do not live in Gardena."
True and not true but a very bad broad statement which shows you don't have any knowledge of the new CIF rules as of June of last year (2007). Just ask Brian Baucham's sister in the Serra track program and she will tell you that you are wrong as Serra got busted this past year for a violation of the new rule as it applied to track. She didn't go out of her way to break the rules, she and her school just didn't know about the new rules. The rule is, regardless if the school is a private school or a public school, it applies to all schools who are CIF signatory schools meaning that any school who has the ability to participate in CIF sanctioned playoff games are then subject to the CIF rules. The rule is if any player in any sport who transfers to another school prior to the new season must have his entire family and furnishings from the home moved from one location to another location (a different dwelling) before the new year/season begins otherwise he or she has to sit out for one season before he or she is eligible to play in the new season. So if a player lived in "house A" in Hawthorne and was enrolled in Serra and played at Serra then good; however, if that same player chose to leave Serra and go back to Hawthorne high, then the player and his family would have to move out of "house A" and go into "house B" even if the new home was next door to his original home in Hawthorne, the home he lived in when he was playing over at Serra. If any family member who previously lived with the player in the home at the time of his participation in the sport remained in the original home while the player moved into a new home or apartment, then the player would not be eligible and would be in violation. So if the player lived with mother in his home in Hawthorne and decided to move in with his uncle in the new home, but his mother remained in the original home and didn't move out of that original address, then the player would be in violation.
The rules were put into place last year to prevent cheating and to prevent the musical chairs of players using phony addresses of other friends and relatives and moving from school to school without accountability and the intention of the new rule was to prevent recruiting and to balance the playing field. There are many more players than you can imagine who are playing in various schools who are not aware that they are violation of the new CIF rules. The old days are part of the past and many players don't realize it. Once again, no one is saying this particular player violated any rules. I am simply corrected the record for the previous poster.
Thanks for the update on the rule change.
Correction

Fullerton, CA

#11 Jan 14, 2009
I left one very important nugget out in the last post about the new CIF rule changes.

A player cannot just decide to go move in with "Uncle Bob" or "Aunt Mary" or "Grandma Johnson" anymore who may live in a different school district for the purpose of the new address change in order to skirt around the rules. If a player decides to move out of his or her home and into a relative or a friend's home with a new address, then the person who the player moves in with for the purpose of playing at a different school will have to become the "legal guardian" of public record for the player meaning that the uncle or grandmother or aunt will have to go into court, a family court or court of competent jurisdiction, and have a judge in most cases sign off on the new guardianship of the player. It has to become legal with a paper trail.

So mother and father will no longer be the legal guardian of the player (of their own child) because now the relative will have to take all of the responsibility for the player in the event that the player chooses to move in with another relative. And no longer will the parents be able to use the kid as a tax write off for the purpose of the family's taxes or for the purpose of public benefits such as food stamps, medical....etc....etc....

The old days of the unbalanced recruiting are gone forever and crossing county lines just to go into a better or a different program are gone....gone....gone.....goodb ye and you would be amazed of just how many football coaches and coaches in general have no clue about the new changes and many coaches are breaking the rules continuously without even being aware of it. Some are aware of it but turn the other cheek. If a coach suspects that another school athletic program is violating the recruiting rules, then they can place a call down to their local CIF office and make the CIF aware of what may be going on in certain programs with the "perpetual violators" but they better show proof of where the violation may be taking place prior to wasting anyone's time.
Correction

Fullerton, CA

#12 Jan 14, 2009
Once again, I left one very important point out.

"Punishment"

So if just one player on a 50 man roster for example goes into the game and plays just one play in one game, and if the player is in violation of the CIF recruiting rule, then all games are forfeited. So if a team is 13-0 at the end of the season with a victory in the CIF championship game at the Home Depot Arena and it's later found out that a player on the team played just one play in one previous game sometime during the regular season, then all 13 victories are forfeited meaning the team now would have an official record of 0-13 and their CIF record means nothing and that they would have to give the "championship ring" back and also that all other teams who got screwed out of CIF playoffs by being one victory short of getting in would have been rail roaded out of the playoffs because one cannot turn back time. I believe early on in the season Lakewood had to forfeit their victories because of a CIF recruiting violation and teams which lost their game to Lakewood got the victory just like they beat Lakewood. So the moral of the story is "know the rules" and "don't cheat".
We must remember that

Pasadena, CA

#13 Jan 14, 2009
"Honesty is the best policy!" and that "CHEATERS NEVER PROSPER!!!"
Correction

North Hollywood, CA

#14 Jan 14, 2009
"Honesty is the best policy!" and that "CHEATERS NEVER PROSPER!!!"

Agreed.

And most coaches don't know the policy and rules yet so its not like most of these coaches are intentionally cheating (with the exception of Serra who cannot afford to break the rules again because of their girl's track team this past year) and this is the reason for the post of the rules and summary so they can print it out and tape it to the top of their desk in their office and read it over and over again until they understand it and next time a new player walks into a coach's office telling the coach that the player is thinking about playing for them, the coach can go over their check off list.
A GUY

United States

#15 Jan 15, 2009
What CIF Rules wrote:
Um..........I wonder if he or his family lived in the same location when he went to Hawthorne as he did when he played at Serra? If so..........then would it be another CIF violation? Just food for thought. It wouldn't make any difference now that the season is over. Just forget about it then because they are 0-10. Watch the haters.
If the family didnt move this is a violation, but you are right it doesnt matter season over, to me 13-0 and losing to oaks hey why even go thats like kissing your sister losing the championship after all of that is like 0-10 no rings for either team ( serra or hawthorne ) Watch The Haters!!!!
A GUY

United States

#16 Jan 15, 2009
Correction wrote:
"HS Football Fan: wrote- Kids that go to Serra can live anywhere because it is a Private school. Most of the athletes that go there do not live in Gardena."
True and not true but a very bad broad statement which shows you don't have any knowledge of the new CIF rules as of June of last year (2007). Just ask Brian Baucham's sister in the Serra track program and she will tell you that you are wrong as Serra got busted this past year for a violation of the new rule as it applied to track. She didn't go out of her way to break the rules, she and her school just didn't know about the new rules. The rule is, regardless if the school is a private school or a public school, it applies to all schools who are CIF signatory schools meaning that any school who has the ability to participate in CIF sanctioned playoff games are then subject to the CIF rules. The rule is if any player in any sport who transfers to another school prior to the new season must have his entire family and furnishings from the home moved from one location to another location (a different dwelling) before the new year/season begins otherwise he or she has to sit out for one season before he or she is eligible to play in the new season. So if a player lived in "house A" in Hawthorne and was enrolled in Serra and played at Serra then good; however, if that same player chose to leave Serra and go back to Hawthorne high, then the player and his family would have to move out of "house A" and go into "house B" even if the new home was next door to his original home in Hawthorne, the home he lived in when he was playing over at Serra. If any family member who previously lived with the player in the home at the time of his participation in the sport remained in the original home while the player moved into a new home or apartment, then the player would not be eligible and would be in violation. So if the player lived with mother in his home in Hawthorne and decided to move in with his uncle in the new home, but his mother remained in the original home and didn't move out of that original address, then the player would be in violation.
The rules were put into place last year to prevent cheating and to prevent the musical chairs of players using phony addresses of other friends and relatives and moving from school to school without accountability and the intention of the new rule was to prevent recruiting and to balance the playing field. There are many more players than you can imagine who are playing in various schools who are not aware that they are violation of the new CIF rules. The old days are part of the past and many players don't realize it. Once again, no one is saying this particular player violated any rules. I am simply corrected the record for the previous poster.
Yes this is correct , that is the fault of bachams parents and coaches, I have a Question if you go from Serra(cif) to Gardena( city) or vise versa does a athlete and his family have to move?
Correction

Fullerton, CA

#17 Jan 15, 2009
To: "A Guy"

"Yes this is correct , that is the fault of bachams parents and coaches, I have a Question if you go from Serra(cif) to Gardena( city) or vise versa does a athlete and his family have to move?"

Answer: absolutely the family, or the legal guardian at the time, has to move his entire family including the articles in the home at the time out of one house and into another house or apartment without question. The same city limit doesn't make any difference nor does the issue of a private school versus a public school matter. The key is that the entire family or legal guardian has to move as long as they are switching schools even if the move and school are within the same city limit and if they don't do it correctly, then the player loses an entire year of eligibility and has to sit out and cannot play even one down of one game or the season is entirely forfeited. A player can move next door to his old home in order to switch schools, but the entire family and contents of their belongings have to move next door with them and the phone bill and electric bill and cable bills....etc.....will have to reflect the new address change with it. A player and his family or legal guardian can move within the same city, but still..........it has to be official meaning that the entire family and contents of the home have to move with the player and family in order for the kid to be eligible for the next season. I hope that I understood your question properly and if not, please post it again clearly so I better understand it.
A GUY

United States

#18 Jan 15, 2009
To Correction
Thanks i also wanted to know if that applies to the section like transferring from a city section school to cif school do you have to move then , if so then alot of schools are in violation and if not then this is a problem cause the "private schools" or "Public Private Schools" and lure theses players from those city section schools?
Correction

Fullerton, CA

#19 Jan 15, 2009
to: "A GUY"

Yes it applies because one of schools would be a CIF sanctioned school even if the other school is city section making it applicable. And yes many players and schools are in violation and don't know it and some of them do but remain quiet hoping that no one finds out and most of the time you don't hear anything about this because no one reports it and most of the people and coaches do not know the rules. In terms of luring players, this is real bad becomes that comes under "enticement" and recruiting. Even if a player follows the rules when it comes to transferring, a coach cannot "recruit" because this is a violation in itself and the coaches, if caught, the entire team which the coach coaches would have to forfeit all of their games because of recruiting violations.
Lawrence Tuihalamaka

Los Angeles, CA

#21 May 2, 2011
wtf wrote:
Serra to hawthorne. the right thing to do. go figure.
well hi everybody.didnt know there was comments left behind this article they wrote on me.just to clear the air.i started at hawthorne high as a freshman and and left because i seen a opportunity at serra.so when i went there for two years i had no clue what i was doing.while i was at serra i didnt make the tuition payments not one time.i was either late or had to ask family to help pay because at the time i was living in a motel with my parents nephew sister and her husband.let me remind u there were no rooms and no money.i had to make my mind up on what can i do.so i chose to go back to the school i loved most dearly which is hawthorne high.going back to hawthorne i feel was the best thing for me regardless of the record we had after are season was done.i felt at home there i felt much respected and i felt ican help this team out.i grew up watching hawthorne and i always dreamed of finishing my senior year there.theres so much more that you guys dont know about me and fill free to ask me.thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Arizona NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sonoran Hot Reads: The college football hate ma... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 10
News Frank Kaminsky ready for Kentucky Wildcats (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 4
News Arizona, a 24-point underdog, stuns No. 2 Oregon (Oct '14) Oct '14 jamba 1
News Michigan Coach Leaves QB In After Concussion. N... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Patriots waive rookie TE Terrence Miller (Aug '14) Aug '14 chouston34 1
News Adult flag football league recruiting teams, pl... (Aug '07) Jul '14 Mark Martin 131
News How Mike Krzyzewski Is Attempting to Improve Du... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bigwhit 1
More from around the web