Cats don't think Mountaineers were tr...

Cats don't think Mountaineers were trying to run up the score

There are 8 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 14, 2007, titled Cats don't think Mountaineers were trying to run up the score. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Leftovers from a busy weekend: Interesting conversations about running up the score in the aftermath of Appalachian State's 79-35 manhandling of Western Carolina last Saturday and the firing of WCU coach Kent ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Always a Cat Fan

Murfreesboro, NC

#1 Nov 15, 2007
It's a shame the Boone Goones cannot sign a backup safety or running back, bless their hearts. Moore is so full of $hit, he wanted 80 to match his age!
SoCon Football

Boone, NC

#2 Nov 15, 2007
The thing that is shameful is your team's inability to hold the "goons" to under 70 points. But, is seemed to work out. You guys have a coaches' search underway. Just what Kitty Nation wanted.
Clicker

United States

#3 Nov 15, 2007
SoCon Football wrote:
The thing that is shameful is your team's inability to hold the "goons" to under 70 points. But, is seemed to work out. You guys have a coaches' search underway. Just what Kitty Nation wanted.
I'm a Cat fan, but you've got a definite point.
Skip Smith

United States

#4 Nov 15, 2007
How are we kidding...yes the score was being run up...

Before I go into this, let me first say that I am not making excuses about the game...just an observation about Jarrett's article...

When you are up on someone and the game is decided, you as a coach should control what happens...

a)You pull your starters so as not risk an injury...what if something happened to Elder, Richardson or Lynch in the 4th quarter that would have taken them out of the playoff games...what would you be saying now if that was the case...

b) You give some of the other kids a chance to play so as to build depth...in the W-S Journal on Sunday, Moore was quoted as saying that they do not have second stringers in the defensive backfield...I find that real hard to beleive...with his team being up five scores to start the 4th Qtr., I believe that then is as good as time as any to find some people who can play...what are they going to do if they lose a starting DB this weekend or in the playoffs...

c) As a coach, you can not tell any player to take it easy...they want to do well and deserve the chance to...however, as a coach you can control the situations...when you are up by five scores you should leave the normal offense philosophy, which in most SoCon schools is the spread...go under center, run between the tackles and hashmarks...now, if you score doing that, then so be it...

What did ASU do with this situation -
1) up 58-28, ASU starts a drive at the 14:56 mark that eventually leads to a score...in that drive Elder passes the ball 6 times...Richardson is still running hard...

2) up 65-35, ASU starts a drive that will again lead to another score...Elder starts it off by attempting to throw again...he then has a huge gain on a running play out the normal offense...

Now there will be those that argue that the second string needs to be able to play their normal offense and run things that they practice on...I just do not buy into that theory when you are up by five scores...I have no problems with what ASU did in the third quarter as the game was still a contest somewhat...it is just the way the fourth quarter was played out...

What was ASU really doing - 1) letting Richardson get close to the record...if possible break against WCU so that the UTC game he could be rested...2) laying the points to make the voters take notice...face it, when you see 79 points on someone, you will stop and take a look at it...also, in the Sunday W-S Journal article one ASU player was quoted as saying that they have always wondered what it would be like to put 80 up on someone...now they have their wish...

Finally, to all WCU fans...let's not air out dirty laundry on the internet...too many people see it...seconly, please do not let Jarrett continue to bait you...I can guarantee you he is gloating to his fellow writers about how he helped get the coaching staff fired...now, there will be some who will say that he spoke the blunt truth and it needed to be told...but take a look at his articles since the game...he will not let it go...it is over and let's move on...be there to cheer the Cats on this Saturday...to thank our Seniors and congratulate the Hall of Fame Inductees...

Go Cats - Skip Smith (Class of 1982)

Since: Nov 07

West Palm Beach, FL

#5 Nov 15, 2007
It may have been a bit embarassing to see that score run across the ticker on ESPN but, I would like to thank Coach Moore for his best Bill Belichick impersonation. Briggs is gone and hopefully the program can begin to recover and become successful.
Mongol Guru

Dillon, SC

#6 Nov 15, 2007
Skip is right on target. Moore may not have told his team to keep scoring but I didn't see any dives and iso plays called either. Richardson stayed in well after the game was out of reach.

There were around 60 players or so on App's sideline. NONE of them play DB? Looked like a great time to work on player development, Coach!

Then to give us the "well I hate it for poor ole Kent" is crock of horsecrap.
Little Bit

Hickory, NC

#7 Nov 27, 2007
I heard Sam Wyche called AD Chip Smith to express interest in the head coach position and the ever helpful Mr. Smith told him he'd have to apply online.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#8 Nov 27, 2007
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Sometime you just don't have a team and run into one that is a much higher class team and you get your socks beat off.

Two weeks scores and there were 40 teams who lost by more than 50 points. So what's your point? You either have a team or you don't. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's football and that's life. Nobody likes a whiner. But everyone loves a winner. Which side of the ball are you gonna line up on?

Navy and North Texas 74-62 Total offence no defence. I saw this game

Nebraska loses to Kansas who scores 76. Next week Nebraska scores 74.

MacMurray 65 0 Augustana IL

Western Carolina6 ***** Alabama 52

Campbellsville 0 Ohio Dominican 71

Florida Int'l0 Penn State59

North Texas10 Oklahoma79
Saw this NT game and OKla used no subs until last 2min. like someone said, its called getting attention.

Cheyney14 Indiana PA 80

Eureka 0 Concordia WI 70

Overall in those two weeks there were over 40 teams who lost by more than 50 points.
I noted that WCU received a drubbing by Ala. and I wonder when Ala put in subs. last 4 min. 4th Qtr.

Worst drubbing I ever saw. 144-0 High School game. Langston Hi vs Douglas Hi 1961. I heard no whine from Douglas. They went home, played next week and won. Stuff happens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Appalachian State University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appalachian St. 72, Furman 66 (Jul '13) Jul '13 shelia 1
News Legendary coach Moore out at Appalachian State (Dec '12) Dec '12 Jerry 2
News SoCon Roundup: Citadel makes a statement, tops ... (Sep '12) Sep '12 LuLu 1
News Rizor dismissed from ASU football team (Aug '12) Aug '12 LuLu 1
Please help! Survey about sex! (Mar '11) Mar '11 Dustin Landers 1
News Panthers trade up, take Appalachian State QB Ar... (Apr '10) Apr '10 PantherGrowl04 1
Appalachian fabric available (Jan '10) Jan '10 seamstress 1
More from around the web