South rises again; Paradise's Hays na...

South rises again; Paradise's Hays named MVP

There are 19 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Jul 27, 2008, titled South rises again; Paradise's Hays named MVP. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

The South's Jon Hays leaps over the North's Forrest Garner for a touchdown in the first quarter of the 31st annual Lions All-Star Football Classic on Saturday at Harrison Stadium.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

MMM

Chico, CA

#1 Jul 27, 2008
Congratulations to both teams! All should be proud to have played such an exciting game! I must say that the defense needs to be given some credit, also! They kept us in the game! GO SOUTH!
Wondering

Paradise, CA

#2 Jul 27, 2008
Anyone know why the QB from River Valley was ejected?
seekingcs

Redding, CA

#3 Jul 27, 2008
I heard he hit a North player in the back after a play. The North player had a late hit or something on a South player. There were a lot of sportsmanship calls.
Leland Gordon

Paradise, CA

#5 Jul 27, 2008
From what I saw and heard on the sideline, Hudson retaliated after he was hit after handing the ball off. He allegedly punched the player in the back of the helmet, though I wasn't watching for it. But I definitely trust the people who told me what happened. I was watching the play downfield
Coach Zed

Fairfield, CA

#6 Jul 27, 2008
Josh was ejected after trying to defend himself from a taunting North played. It should not have happened.
Wondering wrote:
Anyone know why the QB from River Valley was ejected?
EAL Finest

Oroville, CA

#7 Jul 27, 2008
I hope the honeymoon is over!!! But I know that Coach Hamilton was vanila compared to what he usually does. He will have something for the defense the next time he sees it!!! I just hope that the kids had a good time!!!
superslow wrote:
The honeymoon is over for Coach Hamilton's Shotgun Fly offense. It has been fun to watch the last couple of years but the South defense put on a clinic of how to shut that thing down. All the EAL coaches better get the game DVD and take notes.

Since: Jun 08

San Clemente, CA

#8 Jul 27, 2008
Coach Zed wrote:
Josh was ejected after trying to defend himself from a taunting North played. It should not have happened.
<quoted text>
No... he was being stupid and running his mouth. You have to be above this and ignore the taunts. Being a good athlete means being mature and showing your talents, not going to their level and running your mouth.
Fan

United States

#9 Jul 27, 2008
I was disappointed at the poor quality compared to years past. The South player who dropped three easy passes stayed in the game while others should have been brought in. We all paid the same but some kids get treated differently. Y
Level Headed One

United States

#10 Jul 27, 2008
You know kids drop passes. So do the guys who you watch on TV. And to tell you the truth there wasn't even another player who was close to the player that dropped the ball. I hope you stayed for the whole game to see this same kid catch two touchdowns. Oh by the way the winning touchdown. Don't cry for your kid because he didn't play as much as some of the others. Just be happy that he was chosen to represent his school!!!!
Fan wrote:
I was disappointed at the poor quality compared to years past. The South player who dropped three easy passes stayed in the game while others should have been brought in. We all paid the same but some kids get treated differently. Y
RedThunderFan

Redding, CA

#11 Jul 27, 2008
Hard to watch for a true Cougar fan but congrats to the south. That was an exciting game. As far a Hammy goes, I don't know about, "shutting that thing down." Please...he put them in position time and time again. Players have to make plays. 13 drives was it? Doesn't sound like a whole lot of shutting down. You just can't win with dropped balls and penalties. Again though, congrats to the south. Enjoyed seeing the PV kids along with Hays. Hays is a class act and a baller, no doubt. Barnes? Fool. "Broke one" for what, 27? Before that he was, ummmmmmm, negative how many with 2 turnovers? Embarrassing to watch him run his mouth and back it up with nothing. Hays has every reason to be arrogant....and he is only an oustanding athlete and a class act, much like many of those kids on the ridge. Barnes could be an incredible football player if he didn't think he was already.
*Tips hat to south. ;)
NorCal55

Salem, OR

#12 Jul 28, 2008
Congrats to the South and their outstanding defense.
Sports Fanatic

Salem, OR

#13 Jul 28, 2008
The River Valley QB got screwed. With all the penalty flags (the 1st quarter took what, an hour) why was he the only 1 tossed? Why not sat down for a few plays then brought back? It's an all-star game. 1 last night of ball before college. Let the coaches pull the kid, calm him down, then let him play.
Coach Zed wrote:
Josh was ejected after trying to defend himself from a taunting North played. It should not have happened.
<quoted text>

Since: Jul 08

Chico

#14 Jul 28, 2008
I was trying to figure out where River Valley High was. Then I remembered that Yuba City passed a bond a year after Chico did but they actually built a new High School with their bond instead of fighting environmental obstructionists and squandering it.
EAL Finest

Oroville, CA

#15 Jul 28, 2008
I wish I could agre with you that the kid got a raw deal but I can't. As a player you must conduct yourself with class at all times and under difficult circumstances. He lost his head and took the bait from the ohter kid woh was playing with no class. You must never lower yourself to the level of those who play like that. The kid learned a valueable lesson even in an All Star game. He felt poorly about what he did and the outcome. However what you don't see is how that same kid stayed with the team and was helping the Offensive staff and players with playcalls and what the D was doing. He showed more class by not leaving the sideline and helping where he could. He learned a valuable lesson and he is lucky he gets to go on and try to play in college and make it right by playeing the game the right way!!!
Sports Fanatic wrote:
The River Valley QB got screwed. With all the penalty flags (the 1st quarter took what, an hour) why was he the only 1 tossed? Why not sat down for a few plays then brought back? It's an all-star game. 1 last night of ball before college. Let the coaches pull the kid, calm him down, then let him play.
<quoted text>
runner

Vina, CA

#16 Jul 29, 2008
Is this the same saw blade that Alan Chamberlan called out on another blog? Saw blade backed down pretty quick!

Since: Jun 08

United States

#17 Jul 29, 2008
runner wrote:
Is this the same saw blade that Alan Chamberlan called out on another blog? Saw blade backed down pretty quick!
This is youth football! What is your obsession with fighting? Are you looking for a meeting with me Runner?
Coach Zed

United States

#18 Jul 30, 2008
I agree 100%, thank you for your support. Go South.
Sports Fanatic wrote:
The River Valley QB got screwed. With all the penalty flags (the 1st quarter took what, an hour) why was he the only 1 tossed? Why not sat down for a few plays then brought back? It's an all-star game. 1 last night of ball before college. Let the coaches pull the kid, calm him down, then let him play.
<quoted text>
Coach Zed

United States

#19 Jul 30, 2008
Yes he did. Josh carried himself with class and showed that he was of better character than the official.
EAL Finest wrote:
I wish I could agre with you that the kid got a raw deal but I can't. As a player you must conduct yourself with class at all times and under difficult circumstances. He lost his head and took the bait from the ohter kid woh was playing with no class. You must never lower yourself to the level of those who play like that. The kid learned a valueable lesson even in an All Star game. He felt poorly about what he did and the outcome. However what you don't see is how that same kid stayed with the team and was helping the Offensive staff and players with playcalls and what the D was doing. He showed more class by not leaving the sideline and helping where he could. He learned a valuable lesson and he is lucky he gets to go on and try to play in college and make it right by playeing the game the right way!!!<quoted text>
Coach Zed

United States

#20 Jul 30, 2008
Are you kidding me?!!! Sean more than redeemed himself after his 2 (not 3) drops, by catching every ball thrown his way from that point on.
Fan wrote:
I was disappointed at the poor quality compared to years past. The South player who dropped three easy passes stayed in the game while others should have been brought in. We all paid the same but some kids get treated differently. Y

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Air Force Academy NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Air Force freshman QB Romine won't play scared ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 jim 1
News Air Force's Cody Getz leaves for funeral after ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Pay per Head 1
News Toledo holds off Air Force 42-41 in Military Bowl (Dec '11) Dec '11 Angrys birds 1
News One last salute for Tew - The Park Record (Jan '11) Jan '11 BigShow77 1
News High School boys basketball teams look for soli... (Dec '10) Dec '10 671 Vacan 1
News Army on the verge of a bowl (Nov '10) Nov '10 P_Smith 1
News Late charge by Air Force comes up short in 27-2... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Nate 3
More from around the web