Jim Dooley, former Bears coach and Ha...

Jim Dooley, former Bears coach and Halas successor, dies at age 77

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Jim Dooley, former Bears coach and Halas successor, dies at age 77. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jim Dooley, who succeeded George Halas as coach of the Bears and had one of the most innovative football minds of his time, died Tuesday, his daughter Lisa said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

LBF

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 8, 2008
November 3, 1968, green bay, WI: The Bears managed to shake off the cobwebs of a restless night, courtesy of some local fan who set off the fire alarms on all eight floors of the team’s swanky high-rise hotel. Behind the running of Gale Sayers, who set a Bears record with 205 yards on the ground, the Bears squeezed out a 13-10 win in a most improbable way. The game was tied with 50 seconds to play after a Jon Kilgore punt had pinned the packers at their own 15. Following three incomplete Bart Starr passes, Donnie Anderson lofted a short punt to his own 43 where Cecil Turner called for and made the fair catch. Taking advantage of an obscure rule, Bears rookie head coach Jim Dooley sent out Mac Percival to attempt a free kick on the next play. Out of the hold of Richie Petitbon, Percival nailed the field goal for the win while the packers could only stand and watch from ten yards away.

A clueless Lovie Smith would have taken a knee. Rest in peace, Jim!
Will

United States

#2 Jan 8, 2008
Wow LBF, thanks for reviving that incredible memory,and thanks to you Jim Dooley, for coaching a team and players who , win or lose, were heroes to all of us who came of age as Bear fans during that era.
Bill

Wichita, KS

#3 Jan 8, 2008

"The Bears were so disorganized that they would draft by a vote of every coach and scout."

Wow !--- The Bears haven't changed a bit !

George Tomek

Edmond, OK

#4 Jan 8, 2008
Jim Dooley was an innovator, famous for the "Dooley Shift" defense. I remember a pre-season game that was on TV and Dooley skunked the Dallas Cowboys. The Bears carried Dooley off the field on their shoulders like he'd just won the championship. That was probably the highlight of the year. It's sad to see all of the unfortunate circumstances Dooley had to deal with that many of us never knew about. He deserved a much better fate. It's also sad that nobody can find a cure for ALS.
Tim Dooley

Naperville, IL

#6 Jan 9, 2008
Jim Dooley was a humble Man...he was a helluva Dad...and a loviing Father...and I'll miss him every day for the rest of my life. I love you Dad!!! Tim
joseph ohio

United States

#7 Jan 9, 2008
Chicago Bear fans will all miss Jim Dooley. God bless him and his family.
Alex

New York, NY

#8 Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for a nice article about a man who was fortunate enough to know how fortunate he was. I love his quote about his wife being the greatest thing that ever happened to him...That really defines what kind of person he was. he will be missed by many.

Alex
creighton

Eustis, FL

#9 Jan 9, 2008
Jim was a good friend to me and my wife mary who has passed away recently. Now the two of them can pick
kentucky derby winners together in heaven.I will also remember Jim saying "reducing in distance" My condolances to Elaine and family

creighton
Brenna

Skokie, IL

#10 Jan 9, 2008
Thank you Zampa for being such a wonderful grandfather. I love you and I miss you. I hope you are in peace and looking down on all of us. I also hope you continue to watch those football games wherever you are. Oh, how I'm going to miss coming over and seeing sports on the television. I want to say thank you to the Chicago Tribune for a wonderful and informative article. I love you Zampa, Rest in Peace always and forever.
Love, Brenna
Chicago Expatriate

Columbia, SC

#12 Jan 9, 2008
My condolences to the Dooley family. He was a great Bear, and a wonderful, accomplished person. Once again I feel old, as another piece of my childhood and youth leaves the scene. RIP Jim and God Bless.
Eric

Oswego, IL

#13 Jan 9, 2008
Very nice article. I didn't know Jim during his playing days or head coaching days, but I know that through his time on staff during the 80's he was one of the hardest working guys at Halas Hall. His dedication to studying every piece of film he could get his hands on, and his ability to help translate that knowledge into game plans, was very admirable. Thanks Jim for all you've done.

Since: Dec 07

Marquette, MI

#14 Jan 9, 2008
I also want to express my condolences to the Dooley family. These were the Bears teams I first remember watching with my dad at my side. It's good to see others acknowledge the contribution to Bears' history shown in the above comments by Coach Dooley. Thank you Coach Dooley!
Mobile Tom

Memphis, TN

#16 Jan 9, 2008
My first Bears "Da Coach", I was age 11 in 68 and just becoming a fan, remember the Bobby Douglas era vividly, thats for the memories Jim!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Air Force Academy NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Air Force freshman QB Romine won't play scared ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 jim 1
News Air Force's Cody Getz leaves for funeral after ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Pay per Head 1
News Toledo holds off Air Force 42-41 in Military Bowl (Dec '11) Dec '11 Angrys birds 1
News One last salute for Tew - The Park Record (Jan '11) Jan '11 BigShow77 1
News High School boys basketball teams look for soli... (Dec '10) Dec '10 671 Vacan 1
News Army on the verge of a bowl (Nov '10) Nov '10 P_Smith 1
News Late charge by Air Force comes up short in 27-2... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Nate 3