N.C. State asks if `Toughie' wolf logo is used by Nevada Wolf Pack

Jun 7, 2007 Full story: WNCT-TV Greenville 49

North Carolina State wants to know if its snarling wolf logo is showing up on merchandise sold at Nevada. via WNCT-TV Greenville

Full Story

“Giddy up”

Since: Apr 07

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jun 16, 2007
ART DECO MAN wrote:
<quoted text>> Poor ole Paris is skin and bones. > Not much of a meal for a pack of wolves.
That's ok, it's still a move in the right direction. She is just sucking up all our oxygen right now for no reason. Let cubby wolf have some fun with her.
Oh btw, news breaker that Rosie O'donnel might take over Bob Barkers job on the Price is Right.

Guess she got turned down for a showgirl posistion.
Wolves can roam from studio - studio efficiently, taking out majority of these game show hosts. Who else should be on the list?
Dave of Nevada

Reno, NV

#22 Jun 16, 2007
I can see why you guys want to fight it out in the courts and not the football field. NCS is just trying to go where its strength is....

Nevada Wolf Pack football. 5-3 for the conference, 8-5 overall.

North Carolina State football. 2-6 for the conference, 3-9 overall.
Dave of Nevada

Reno, NV

#23 Jun 16, 2007
Since the teams began:

University of Nevada Wolf Pack.

470-415-34 (51% win rate)

Last championship was 2005

North Carolina State

518-506-55 (48% win rate)

Last championship was 1979

Yeah, you guys had better keep the hat debate in the courts. You might win there.

“Giddy up”

Since: Apr 07

Honolulu, HI

#24 Jun 16, 2007
Dave of Nevada wrote:
I can see why you guys want to fight it out in the courts and not the football field. NCS is just trying to go where its strength is....
Nevada Wolf Pack football. 5-3 for the conference, 8-5 overall.
North Carolina State football. 2-6 for the conference, 3-9 overall.
Dave, This upcoming meeting with Nevada & Hawaii has me a bit nervous.
8 pm kickoff time, in Reno, in the middle of November?
Should we lotto our best quess'timate of the tempature at kick-off?
Hoping Patagonia will sponsor the Warriors some capilene long underwear for this game.
How's the replacement QB situation going? I personally think Nevada could be the biggest spoiler for the WAC this year.
Dave of Nevada

Reno, NV

#25 Jun 16, 2007
Yes, very nice of the University of Nevada to start the game at 8 PM Pacific Time. That way those in Hawaii can get home from work and see the game start at 6 PM Hawaii Time. Also all those who want to see east coast games can actually see them to the finish before the Pacific games get started.

And as an aside, when was the last time they cancelled a football game because of weather? I seem to remember plenty of games played in the rain and snow. If you want to play in nice weather all the time, take up golf.

In regards to a quarterback, yes, we are looking for a new one. However, we get them from our own system and do not bring in ringers from Nebraska.

I hope Harrison Beck work out for you guys. Your team really needs the help.

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#26 Jun 16, 2007
Island Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's ok, it's still a move in the right direction. She is just sucking up all our oxygen right now for no reason. Let cubby wolf have some fun with her.
Oh btw, news breaker that Rosie O'donnel might take over Bob Barkers job on the Price is Right.
Guess she got turned down for a showgirl posistion.
Wolves can roam from studio - studio efficiently, taking out majority of these game show hosts. Who else should be on the list?
> Fat mouth Rosie O'Donnell, hosts the Price is Right! > I hope the first one to "Come on down" is a starving wolf!
And, Island guy, you could fill up the list with a pack of air-heads that are on TV. > Barbara Falters, uh I mean Walters is another block head who could be on the list.

“Giddy up”

Since: Apr 07

Honolulu, HI

#27 Jun 16, 2007
Dave of Nevada wrote:
Yes, very nice of the University of Nevada to start the game at 8 PM Pacific Time. That way those in Hawaii can get home from work and see the game start at 6 PM Hawaii Time. Also all those who want to see east coast games can actually see them to the finish before the Pacific games get started.
And as an aside, when was the last time they cancelled a football game because of weather? I seem to remember plenty of games played in the rain and snow. If you want to play in nice weather all the time, take up golf.
In regards to a quarterback, yes, we are looking for a new one. However, we get them from our own system and do not bring in ringers from Nebraska.
I hope Harrison Beck work out for you guys. Your team really needs the help.
Harrison Beck?
Think you have something confused with another team

We're already set in Hawaii
JD from NC State

United States

#28 Jun 21, 2007
"Since the teams began:
University of Nevada Wolf Pack.
470-415-34 (51% win rate)

North Carolina State
518-506-55 (48% win rate)

Yeah, you guys had better keep the hat debate in the courts. You might win there."

Dave, le't look at it from another perspective:

NC State = ACC
Nevada = WAC

ACC Members
Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
NC State
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

WAC Members
Boise State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Nevada
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State

Hmmmm...which conference is nationally known as a power house year in and year out, be it Football, Men's Basketball or Women's Basketball?(Congrats to Louisiana Tech's Women's BB Team, by the way).

So a 51% to 48% rate considering the competion isn't very convincing...I'd suggest you not push that one.

As for championships in the 2 major sports (FB & BB), which school has 2 National Championships?

Nevada and the other WAC schools are all great schools and should be proud of their academics and athletics, just don't try to pass Nevada off as the dominant athletic school of the two...you will lose that argument everytime.

Wuf Wuf
Stephen Ingram

Wendell, NC

#29 Jun 24, 2007
First of all we are NCSU because we are an actual university not some scrub college. Also our symbol has been used much longer which means y'all should give it up. I do not care about the name but you can't steal a symbol. Also stop saying you want to settle it on the football field because our team will kill you. We play in the ACC a real conference, your conference is a JV conference compared to us.

“Giddy up”

Since: Apr 07

Honolulu, HI

#30 Jun 24, 2007
Stephen Ingram wrote:
First of all we are NCSU because we are an actual university not some scrub college. Also our symbol has been used much longer which means y'all should give it up. I do not care about the name but you can't steal a symbol. Also stop saying you want to settle it on the football field because our team will kill you. We play in the ACC a real conference, your conference is a JV conference compared to us.
Stephen "Rookie" Ingram.
I've heard of the ACC, the conference that was led by Wake Forest, and some other teams that followed way behind. Let's see, who did Wake Forest lose against ? Clemson you say (# 15)? Virgiana Tech,(# 19) Ouch. not even top 10
Looks like the ACC might need to consider some trips WEST of the Mississippi to step UP! Boise or Hawaii could sure give them a life learning lesson
awinnevada

Reno, NV

#31 Jun 26, 2007
Ok... lets look at the facts here...

1) Nevada started using the name wolf pack in 1921, NC State didn't use it till the 60's.

2) Lewis Hymers, a University of Nevada grad first created and started using the logo shortly after in the 20's. NC State didn't even touch the logo until the 60's.

3) If UNR had the logo first, then NC State had it second.(I'm not even going to point a finger and accuse NCS of stealing the logo from nevada and registered it and whatnot. Then again, NC State could have done it without checking and unintentionally stole it. Never the less, UNR had it first.

4) UNLV, the school founded by UNR, their old logo was the confederate wolf. THAT, was before North Carolina State declared themselves the wolfpack.

Facts speak for themselves. NC State has a trademark and so does nevada. Nevada had it first, so logically... oh yeah... i'm talking to east coast kids... nevada wins this debate.

Oh yeah... as far as athletics... ever since your star phillip rivers went to the chargers, your football team hasn't been the same since. Nevada's been on the rise in the national polls and was number 22 in the nation when the AP polled schools with the most successful football,basketball, and baseball teams... Where did NC State rank in the national polls... i thought so. They're in the ACC but if they're getting their butt kicked, they're as good off as nevada is in the wac, dontcha think? I'll take Dave's idea and take it one step further... Nevada vs NC State in all sports... Nevada wins!'nough said.
awinnevada

Reno, NV

#32 Jun 26, 2007
Oh yeah, Stephen Ingram, lets re-evaluate the schools and their confrences. NCS is in the acc... atlantic coast confrence. They're not good enough to get into the SEC, so they're stuck in the ACC by default... it's either that or dropping to a division 1AA status, god forbid, even though it wouldn't be a bad idea considering how bad they played last year. Last year aside, nevada has been climbing the ranks to be in the WAC considering we were 1AA a little over a decade ago. Now we're competing every year... what about your school? Keeping a warm spot on the bench in the basement? Also how many football players were drafted and how many basketball players are expected to make the top 2 rounds? How many baseball players? You cant compare confrence to confrence, afterall I would LOVE to see NC State in the WAC... See them top nevada. Hah!

As i said in the previous post, nevada had the name and logo longer than NC State so technically, NC State stole from nevada! Go Nevada wolf pack!

As far as your comment about JV vs Varsity... when i was in HS on the JV football team, we had a better team and record than the Varsity team... SOmetimes you cant underlook the JV's, hahaha

Since: Jan 07

United States

#33 Jun 26, 2007
State you better start thinking about Butch Davis and the Tar heels.

Think about Nevada and the Wac like you do a little brother. Annoying but of no real concern. They are in the Wac. The Wac. Thats worse than the Pac 10 and Conference USA. Their best team has to paint the field blue to get attention. I think Duke would probably win in the wac.
Wolf Pack -2 words-

United States

#34 Jul 2, 2007
I'm still waiting for someone from Carolina to refute the fact that Nevada had the logo almost 40 years before.
Not only did Nevada already have our logo first, but so did Wisconsin. It would be a fair assumption that NCSU stole the Nevada logo and stuck it on the Wisconsin badger's body.
I have nothing against NCSU, but this is definitely not something you'd ever hope to win in court.
The only reason it's even an issue is because Nevada is gaining national recognition. The top hat wolf logo isn't even a current mascot. It's part of the "retro" movement. A lot of the alumni are grasping onto it in rememberance of their times at Nevada.
For the record, the lady at NCSU that is in charge of this needs to be fired. Considering that there are only 2 teams in the entire NCAA with the mascot of a wolf, you'd think this "upstart logo-stealing university" would have been found out years ago.
sublime1

Phoenix, AZ

#35 Jul 5, 2007
Thank God everyday that you live in a country where "logos" are the main topic of discussion.
Praise the Lord,
(and God bless the Wolf Pack!!!!!
Nevada Alum

Media, PA

#36 Sep 29, 2007
Actually this logo of "Wolfie" in a top-hat, which is admittedly similar to the NC State logo, is not a new development. This is the old Nevada mascot. If you look at merchandise from at least as early as the 70's (perhaps even earlier), you will find this same picture. I know this because my grandparents have the same logo on a set of drinking glasses from the mid 70's. Any "recent" uses of this "secondary" logo are really remnants of the old, original Nevada Wolfpack logo.
Again, like Dave has pointed out, the wolfpack mascot has been with Nevada longer than it has been with NC State. As for first time top-hat logo was used, I cannot say. Givne that Nevada was the wolfpack first, however, it may be safe to presume that maybe the complaint should be reversed.
Kenny wrote:
It's not the name NC State has a problem with its the actual logo. University of Nevada's primary logo is fine but as of recently they have been using a secondary logo which is almost identical to NC State's Toughie http://www.ncs.ncsu.edu/trademark/images/ncsu...
which is a registered trademark.
Nevada's stolen logo on a cookie jar.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/ecomphotos1/400/...
James in Willow Springs

United States

#37 May 19, 2008
Jesus H. Christ. I hope the folks making the case for UNV aren't graduates of that fine school. Otherwise they're making the rest of you Wolf*space*Pack grads look like freaking retards.

1. We're not trying to make you change your NAME. You are the Wolf Pack. We are the Wolfpack. Even if we spelled it the same way, there's no reason to change it. Would the Philadelphia Eagles sue the 4,923 other pro, college and high school teams out there with Eagles as their mascot? No. Keep the name; wear it proudly.

2. At issue is that the folks from UNV are blatantly using a VERSION of the Wolfpack mascot--Tuffy--that was drawn by a State student in the 70's. The same eyes, teeth, ears...everything was copied then modified to utilize the UNV top hat. Yes, the original designed was inspired by Bucky the Badger. But it was an original, drawn from scratch, imitating the chest-out strut of Bucky. What UNV has done isn't a re-drawn version of Tuffy...it's an outright recopying of it, with modifications.

It's the difference between repainting your own version of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" from hand while looking at it and taking an electronic version of the painting and photoshopping in your house. One is copyright infringement...the other is an inspired original imitation.

I'll leave it to you retards in the desert to figure out which one is which.
Kevin

Sparks, NV

#38 Oct 28, 2008
Did James in Willow Springs up there really just ignore all the facts given to him in previous posts? The U of N, or UNR not UNV genius, top hat logo was in use during the 70's. There are also reports that it was designed in the 1920's. The comments made about similar names were simply pointing out the fact that NC State is more a copy of Nevada than the other way around. You may also want to brush up on your Bible. I don't recall Jesus' middle name starting with an H.
nevdan

Gardnerville, NV

#39 Nov 7, 2008
What and waste of time writing about this. If it was'nt for the Nevada and Virginia city, Nevada gold and silver the south would have one the civil war. So-- we won, you loose.
William

Raleigh, NC

#40 Dec 13, 2009
I just saw this. Nevada fans are funny. State had it first. That's a fact. Stop harping on false info from the '20s. Get it right next time and do some research.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 55 min FLORIDA SWAMPER 28,363
The possible 2015 landing spots for Jay Cutler 4 hr Re turbaned to Feet 4
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 4 hr Buffalo Bull 1,474
Bowl game matchups: Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati Wed Shelly 1
Murray sets new NFL rushing record Wed Da Squirts 18
UH wants that Kevin Sumlin swag back: Firing go... Dec 16 Madd Dogg 1
K-State's Liu marches to his own beat (Aug '07) Dec 15 Fuckboy 69 3
More from around the web