Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10098 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10214 Feb 10, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that who you played with has anything to do with whether you get in to the HOF or not. The point was, they were canceling each other out all those years. They both got in on their own merit. What I remember most about Swann was his amazing leaping abilities.
Swan I believe was overrated. Without Stallworth playing on the opposite side, Swan would have been double teamed much more often resulting in fewer receptions.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10215 Feb 10, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that who you played with has anything to do with whether you get in to the HOF or not. The point was, they were canceling each other out all those years. They both got in on their own merit. What I remember most about Swann was his amazing leaping abilities.
Stallworth had over 200 more career receptions than Swan and also had three 1000 yard plus seasons for pass reception yardage while Swan never even made it to 900 yards for a season. Like Terry Bradshaw, Swan was a good, but not a great player. In comparison, Del Shofner who played for the Rams ansd the Giants had more career receptions, was a five time first team All-Pro compared to Swan's one and with five Pro Bowl appearances to Swan's three and Swan is in the HOF and Shofner isn't. Shofner in his five All Pro seasons had more receiving yards than Swan did in any of his seasons including four times over 1000 yards.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10216 Feb 10, 2013
Let me also mention that Del Shofner had more than 1000 more career yards for pass receptions than Swan.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10217 Feb 10, 2013
Whoa, slow down, you're going to have a heart attack. lol

I wasn't attacking your boy Stallworth, who played longer than Swann did, I must add.

I was giving Swann a compliment, that he truly deserves. So, calm down.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10218 Feb 10, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Whoa, slow down, you're going to have a heart attack. lol
I wasn't attacking your boy Stallworth, who played longer than Swann did, I must add.
I was giving Swann a compliment, that he truly deserves. So, calm down.
Relax! I was simply setting the record straight on Stallworth who was clearly the Superior receiver. I commend your concern about me, but it was all needless as I never lost my cool over it. Swan was also washed up ay an earlier age. Swan and Stallworth started the same season and after Swan retired after his performance started to decline. Stallworth still was having Pro Bowl seasons after Swan's retirement. And what did you think of the comparison of Del Shofner with Lynn Swan? It just goes to show the inconsistency in selecting players for the Hall of Fame.

There are a number of questionable Hall of Fame picks. It might surprise you to know that a rather ordinary starting QB named Craig Morton had better numbers than two QBs in the HOF whose careers Morton's overlapped in Bradshaw and Namath. Morton does not belong in the Hall of Fame by any stretch of the imagination which makes me ask how Bradshaw and Namath made it with lesser stats than Morton. Namath made it for a single major upset Super Bowl win. The rest of his career was not particularly distinguished. Bradshaw would never have made the Hall of Fame with any team other than Pittsburgh in the late 70s. Super Bowl wins seem to disproportionately inflate a player's apparent worth to a team.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10219 Feb 10, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Relax! I was simply setting the record straight on Stallworth who was clearly the Superior receiver. I commend your concern about me, but it was all needless as I never lost my cool over it. Swan was also washed up ay an earlier age. Swan and Stallworth started the same season and after Swan retired after his performance started to decline. Stallworth still was having Pro Bowl seasons after Swan's retirement. And what did you think of the comparison of Del Shofner with Lynn Swan? It just goes to show the inconsistency in selecting players for the Hall of Fame.
There are a number of questionable Hall of Fame picks. It might surprise you to know that a rather ordinary starting QB named Craig Morton had better numbers than two QBs in the HOF whose careers Morton's overlapped in Bradshaw and Namath. Morton does not belong in the Hall of Fame by any stretch of the imagination which makes me ask how Bradshaw and Namath made it with lesser stats than Morton. Namath made it for a single major upset Super Bowl win. The rest of his career was not particularly distinguished. Bradshaw would never have made the Hall of Fame with any team other than Pittsburgh in the late 70s. Super Bowl wins seem to disproportionately inflate a player's apparent worth to a team.
I didn't watch a lot of Pittsburgh's games except when they played the Browns back then. We all have our favorites. Del Shofner doesn't ring any bells for me. NOT to say he wasn't good at what he did, ok?

I agree about the inconsistency in the selection of the HOF players. Hence, my comment about some of the seniors having to wait so long. The only thing I can think of is that as the game has changed, so has the reasons for the selections, and so has the people doing the selecting.

Super Bowl wins SHOULD have a lot to do with player selection. Being the best of the best does mean something, player or team. Perhaps that is why Mr Bradshaw is a Hall of Famer.

Do you think Kenny Stabler will ever get in?

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10220 Feb 10, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't watch a lot of Pittsburgh's games except when they played the Browns back then. We all have our favorites. Del Shofner doesn't ring any bells for me. NOT to say he wasn't good at what he did, ok?
I agree about the inconsistency in the selection of the HOF players. Hence, my comment about some of the seniors having to wait so long. The only thing I can think of is that as the game has changed, so has the reasons for the selections, and so has the people doing the selecting.
Super Bowl wins SHOULD have a lot to do with player selection. Being the best of the best does mean something, player or team. Perhaps that is why Mr Bradshaw is a Hall of Famer.
Do you think Kenny Stabler will ever get in?
Stabler was far superior to Bradshaw.
ERIE -VIKE FAN

Erie, PA

#10221 Mar 9, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably. Although, I'm not sure he would go so far out on a limb if he were not going to let Lombardi do his job.
<quoted text>
I do remember you saying that. I didn't think you were serious. I think the Browns are looking for that next "sleeper". You know, someone who everyone else has overlooked who turns into a superstar. Nevermind the fact that they already have to very good, young QBs. Sigh...the more things change, the more they stay the same.
<quoted text>
Well keep me posted. I have a feeling those changes may include Welker, Hernandez, Woodhead, and Branch.
<quoted text>
And the winners are:
Larry Allen (OT)
Cris Carter (WR)
Curley Culp (DT)
Jonathan Ogden (OT -- The man was a monster at 6-9 345lbs)
Bill Parcells (Coach)
Dave Robinson (LB)
Warren Sapp (DT)
Should have been Strahan instead of Sapp, but I think he, and Brown, get in next time.
Hey TMD!!!!!!!!! Have to say Kudos for the commitee for finally getting CC in!!!!!!!!!!Why it took so long is preposterous!!!!!!!!
4th all time in rec. and Td's..........8 pro bowls..back in the mid 90's he had back to back years with 122 rec's.!

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10222 Mar 14, 2013
The unpleasant truth about Bob Kraft:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron...

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10224 Jul 16, 2013
What happens now after the Aaron Hernandez problems? How about instituting a code of ethics for eligibility as an NFL player? Oh wait, there would be no league...
Former Pats Fan

La Palma, CA

#10225 Jul 17, 2013
Mister Awful wrote:
What happens now after the Aaron Hernandez problems? How about instituting a code of ethics for eligibility as an NFL player? Oh wait, there would be no league...
And no coaches and no commissioner. That's why Tebow was a ray of light, too bad no one fixed his throwing motion and footwork early enough so he could make it as a QB. Great person, teammate, work ethic. Just not accurate enough to play QB. Sad, sad, sad.
Son of Historian

La Palma, CA

#10226 Jul 17, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say this pretty accurately sums up the Pats' recent problems.
The guys that made the Pats what they were are all gone. The defense has been in a state of rebuild for the past 6 years with no end in sight. The balance of pass/run is gone, and Brady has been relegated to throwing 5-7 yard passes, despite the fact that both Lloyd and Welker are quite capable of getting open and catching the mid-range and long balls. Even worse, there's talk of letting Welker go. Geez...
Until the Pats provide more of a pass rush, and get back to possession/power football, they will be compared to, and suffer the fate of, the 2000-2011 Colts. Yes, those Colts won a SB and made it to another, but look at how many opportunities they squandered.
And speaking of squandering opportunities, it appears that Manning has morphed the Broncos into the 2000-2011 Colts. The Broncos used to be a smash mouth, in your face offensive unit, with a defense to match. Now they are resorting to trick/finesse plays on both ends of the ball, and using the run only to set up the pass. And what's up with Champ Bailey? If he wasn't ready to play, what was he doing out there?
And don't forget Belichick's genius is in taking a team of really good players to the next level. Too bad he lacks the skills needed to build a team up from scratch with really good players. Belichick won with Parcell's players and Pete Carroll's players but when he gets the chance to pick the players, well it hasn't resulted in a SB victory. Time to move him along or get someone else to start picking the players and relegate him to just coaching. Maybe he tries to do it all himself. Has he ever heard the word delegate? Why not let Parcells pick the players and then have Belichick squeeze the most out of them. The guys Belochick has been picking haven't had much to squeeze out of, especially when it comes to wide receivers and defensive backs.
le nguyen

Hanoi, Vietnam

#10227 Jul 18, 2013
come to hanoi should stay at Hanoi Sans soucil hotel . you can contact to me to know more this hotel email : [email protected] or [email protected]
le nguyen

Hanoi, Vietnam

#10228 Jul 18, 2013
datang ke Hanoi perlu tinggal di Hanoi Sans souci hotel. anda boleh menghubungi saya untuk mengetahui lebih lanjut e-mel ini hotel: [email protected] atau [email protected]
Alex

Key West, FL

#10229 Jul 18, 2013
Tom Brady is not overrated. Only an idiot would make that comment.
2012 New England Patriots 4,827 34 TDs
2011 New England Patriots 5,235 39 TDs 2010 New England Patriots 3,900 36 TDs
2009 New England Patriots 4,398 43 TDs
Top Ranked QBs last 5 years:
5. Drew Brees, Saints (3)
Consummate leader and decision-making field general. Today’s N.F.L. is built for these types of players to thrive.
4. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (4)
Character concerns seem to be clearing up.(Not that they were ever much of a problem on the field; the guy won two Super Bowls and was the most physically gifted quarterback in football before his suspension.)
3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (7)
The most physically gifted quarterback in the N.F.C. has made quantum leaps in his pre- and post-snap acuity.
2. Peyton Manning, Colts (1)
We say it every year: without him, Indy is a perennial 5-11 team. No hyperbole.
1. Tom Brady, Patriots (2)
His lead in this “top quarterback” rating might be small, but from the 30,000-foot perspective, his rings and records still matter (a lot). His most recent accomplishment: leading a young offense that underwent a major midseason strategic shift to a 14-2 regular-season record.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10230 Jul 20, 2013
Alex wrote:
Tom Brady is not overrated. Only an idiot would make that comment.
2012 New England Patriots 4,827 34 TDs
2011 New England Patriots 5,235 39 TDs
2010 New England Patriots 3,900 36 TDs
2009 New England Patriots 4,398 43 TDs
Top Ranked QBs last 5 years:
5. Drew Brees, Saints (3)
Consummate leader and decision-making field general. Today’s N.F.L. is built for these types of players to thrive.
4. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (4)
Character concerns seem to be clearing up.(Not that they were ever much of a problem on the field; the guy won two Super Bowls and was the most physically gifted quarterback in football before his suspension.)
3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (7)
The most physically gifted quarterback in the N.F.C. has made quantum leaps in his pre- and post-snap acuity.
2. Peyton Manning, Colts (1)
We say it every year: without him, Indy is a perennial 5-11 team. No hyperbole.
1. Tom Brady, Patriots (2)
His lead in this “top quarterback” rating might be small, but from the 30,000-foot perspective, his rings and records still matter (a lot). His most recent accomplishment: leading a young offense that underwent a major midseason strategic shift to a 14-2 regular-season record.
What do the numbers in parentheses stand for?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10231 Jul 20, 2013
Mister Awful wrote:
Hey MA!

Unfortunately, the Hernandez story is not all that unique, and most likely will not be the last of its kind. There's a whole league of guys with type-A personalities who, in addition to being overly aggressive, are taking all kinds of dietary "supplements". I think what we're witnessing is the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned for much more to come...

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10232 Jul 20, 2013
Son of Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
And don't forget Belichick's genius is in taking a team of really good players to the next level. Too bad he lacks the skills needed to build a team up from scratch with really good players. Belichick won with Parcell's players and Pete Carroll's players but when he gets the chance to pick the players, well it hasn't resulted in a SB victory. Time to move him along or get someone else to start picking the players and relegate him to just coaching. Maybe he tries to do it all himself. Has he ever heard the word delegate? Why not let Parcells pick the players and then have Belichick squeeze the most out of them. The guys Belichick has been picking haven't had much to squeeze out of, especially when it comes to wide receivers and defensive backs.
I think Belichick's genius is not in making good players great players, but in making good defenses GREAT defenses. I don't think he's ever been particularly good at spotting hidden talent, but in developing schemes that maximize team talent, as a whole. When I say "team" talent I referring to the defensive side of the ball.

Tom Brady has been the driving force on the offensive side of the ball for the past 10-12 years. He has proven that if he is given mediocre talent to work with, he can produce good results. If he is given good/great talent, the sky's the limit. I'm sure Belichick has some hand in designing the offense, but I believe Brady is the primary architect.

The Pats were blessed with a superior GM during the championship years who could recognize latent talent, and knew how to manipulate the draft. The Pat's problems with replenishing talent really started when Pioli left to rebuild the Chiefs. The Pats haven't been the same, and won't be until they find someone who can work with Belichick to replace aging veterans and breath new life into that defense.
Mensa7

La Palma, CA

#10233 Jul 21, 2013
Depends on how you define overrated. If you mean less capable than reported or appraised too highly, then the winner of the overrated trophy goes to Peyton Manning. Peyton has 4 MVP awards and for 2 of them he clearly wasn't even in the top 5 statistically. Sports Writers also were talking about giving him the award a fifth time in the year he was sidelined to injury because of the inability of the Colts to play without him. What they failed to mention was that it was Manning himself that demanded no money be spent on a backup so he could maximize the offensive starters. Funny how that gets overlooked. Manning also played in a dome so his figures should be 8-11% higher but they are not. Couple in his massive failures when it comes postseason/legacy time and one has to wonder why the writers are in love with the guy.
Then there is Brady, plays not only outdoors but in the frigid northeast so his figures should be 5-7% down but they are not, and without any quality receivers, not demanding anything, especially not Manning type money when he deserves more. Consummate true team player. And last year, 2012-2013 season, it was Brady that was number one in not just some, but in EVERY advanced stat category, DVOA, DYAR, Critical Yards, First Downs, Points etc. yet it was Manning that got traction as MVP candidate. A reasonable person with grey matter would wonder why.
Then there is ESPN that has a magical formula nobody can see and they say it's Manning on top of their QBR Rating system. The problem with that is they revealed their bias when they reported Peyton's stats but omitted his fumbles (a negative) and ommitted Brady's rushing TDs (a positive), And still Brady had a superior TD/Turnover Ratio, yet ESPN was "marketing" Manning for greatness. He makes them more $$$. Imagine that.
When you talk to Manning its all about him and his TDs and where he fits in, in history. He delights in his knowledge of football history and existing records (which it is his goal to surpass). That's his thing and why sacrificing stats to win is not his thing. But with Brady, Tom says its not about TDs but in not throwing INTs or fumbling, just maintaining control of the ball and outscoring your opponent. Clearly Brady is underrated. Obviously it's Brady who is the standard by which QBs should be measured. And we're it not for a miracle one handed helmet catch in one SB and a dropped pass by a Pats slot receiver in another, you too would know that, because the sports writers would more clearly look like the manipulators they are for passing Brady by.
Watch this year, Manning has a killer offense and killer defense. Any QB with even minimum skills should be able to win with that team, meanwhile, Brady has a bottom three defense and no wide receivers or tight ends to speak of. Miami should win the division except for one thing and it's named Brady. Bet the writers praise Manning for underachieving and fail to praise Brady or overachieving, at least that was history tells us they will do. Also look or Peyton to be billed as a runaway candidate or MVP even though Cleveland's Weeden ould win with that team. Just watch.
Prometheus

La Palma, CA

#10234 Jul 22, 2013
Mensa7 wrote:
Depends on how you define overrated. If you mean less capable than reported or appraised too highly, then the winner of the overrated trophy goes to Peyton Manning. Peyton has 4 MVP awards and for 2 of them he clearly wasn't even in the top 5 statistically. Sports Writers also were talking about giving him the award a fifth time in the year he was sidelined to injury because of the inability of the Colts to play without him. What they failed to mention was that it was Manning himself that demanded no money be spent on a backup so he could maximize the offensive starters. Funny how that gets overlooked. Manning also played in a dome so his figures should be 8-11% higher but they are not. Couple in his massive failures when it comes postseason/legacy time and one has to wonder why the writers are in love with the guy.
Then there is Brady, plays not only outdoors but in the frigid northeast so his figures should be 5-7% down but they are not, and without any quality receivers, not demanding anything, especially not Manning type money when he deserves more. Consummate true team player. And last year, 2012-2013 season, it was Brady that was number one in not just some, but in EVERY advanced stat category, DVOA, DYAR, Critical Yards, First Downs, Points etc. yet it was Manning that got traction as MVP candidate. A reasonable person with grey matter would wonder why.
Then there is ESPN that has a magical formula nobody can see and they say it's Manning on top of their QBR Rating system. The problem with that is they revealed their bias when they reported Peyton's stats but omitted his fumbles (a negative) and ommitted Brady's rushing TDs (a positive), And still Brady had a superior TD/Turnover Ratio, yet ESPN was "marketing" Manning for greatness. He makes them more $$$. Imagine that.
When you talk to Manning its all about him and his TDs and where he fits in, in history. He delights in his knowledge of football history and existing records (which it is his goal to surpass). That's his thing and why sacrificing stats to win is not his thing. But with Brady, Tom says its not about TDs but in not throwing INTs or fumbling, just maintaining control of the ball and outscoring your opponent. Clearly Brady is underrated. Obviously it's Brady who is the standard by which QBs should be measured. And we're it not for a miracle one handed helmet catch in one SB and a dropped pass by a Pats slot receiver in another, you too would know that, because the sports writers would more clearly look like the manipulators they are for passing Brady by.
Watch this year, Manning has a killer offense and killer defense. Any QB with even minimum skills should be able to win with that team, meanwhile, Brady has a bottom three defense and no wide receivers or tight ends to speak of. Miami should win the division except for one thing and it's named Brady. Bet the writers praise Manning for underachieving and fail to praise Brady or overachieving, at least that was history tells us they will do. Also look or Peyton to be billed as a runaway candidate or MVP even though Cleveland's Weeden ould win with that team. Just watch.
No problem with your analysis, it checks out, however you missed one thing. Fan is short for fanatic which means they replace the thought process with their emotions. In their eyes Manning is better because they want him to be better, regardless of it being false. Check out cognitive dissonance. Being a fan is all about who you like best, not who is best. That should be left to the analysts. Unfortunately analysts either lack the skills to identify the better players or are in someone's pocket, bought and paid for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr Bruin For Life 32,288
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News WSU football recruiting: Tyquez Hampton picks C... Jun 12 huey goins 2
News Hugh Freeze Calls For Change to Mississippi Sta... (Jul '15) Jun 9 Concerned oxfordian 5
News D1Baseball: Birdball Locked Into Field May 31 Jane Ann 1
News Antonio Callaway isn't enrolled at Florida, acc... May 31 Jane Ann 1
News Bulldogs take fight-filled opener (Jul '09) May 31 Burlington Stampe... 3
More from around the web