Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10062 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

D brown

United States

#10172 Jan 11, 2013
U sound like a assclown!

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10173 Jan 11, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
MA, where have you been. I can't believe you missed the entire conversation about your beloved Giants. Usually, you just jump right in. What happened?
Just been busy. Good luck to yous guys this weekend, which ever team you're betting the farm on. I like Aaron Rodgers, but the Patriots look like the ones to beat.

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10174 Jan 11, 2013
Mister Awful wrote:
<quoted text>
Just been busy. Good luck to yous guys this weekend, which ever team you're betting the farm on. I like Aaron Rodgers, but the Patriots look like the ones to beat.
lol I remember last season someone saying "can't beat em, so might as well join em." C'mon man, ya can't even hang with the Pats fans 2 Playoff runs in a row?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10175 Jan 11, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Baltimore vs Denver
New England vs Houston
Seattle vs Atlanta
Green Bay vs San Francisco
Thoughts?
Well, well. Another weekend of pro-football mania.

Seattle with their rookie QB sensation Russell Wilson and their 1600 yard RB Marshawn Lynch take on the #1 seed led by wily veterans QB Matt Ryan, TE Tony Gonzalez, WR Julio Jones, and RB Mike Turner. Who will prevail? I'm going with the team that just recently put the smackdown on SF:

Seattle comfortably - 24-13

This next matchup could easily be the best of the weekend. San Francisco tries to duplicate last year's success, but must go through GB to do so. Led by first year QB Colin Kaepernick, RBs Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, they hope to celebrate a victory in front of the home crowd. However, QB Aaron Rodgers won't take that lying down as his Packers try to steal a close one in at bay:

Green Bay in a squeaker - 30-28

The perennial powerhouse of New England with QB Tom Brady, WRs Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd and, of course, TE Gronkowski (geez, that guy really needs a nickname) will be dueling a relative newcomer to postseason play, the Texans. QB Schaub and their outstanding RB, Arian Foster, will have their hands full trying to score enough points to withstand the barrage they will be facing. I'm going with the tried and true:

New England cruises - 32-17

Look who's back on top. Old man Manning is leading the #1 AFC seed at Mile High in another race to the SB. The high-powered Denver offense, led by QB Manning, WR Decker, and RB Moreno, will be running wild over their unlucky opponents, the Balitomre Ravens. In his farewell tour, MLB Ray Lewis will try to inject as much energy and emotion into his teammates as he can to win one more before he retires. QB Joe Flacco will do his best with talented wideout Anquan Boldin, and RB Ray Rice, but to no avail:

Denver moves forward - 28-10

Akron, Ohio

#10176 Jan 12, 2013
Our picks are very similar. I went with Atlanta, being a #1 seed and at home, over Seattle, being a #5 seed and away from their very loud fans.

It will be a fun weekend! I have a lot of work to get done before game time.
Pats Fan

East Lansing, MI

#10177 Jan 13, 2013
Tom Brady is gonna put the Texans in their place today.

Akron, Ohio

#10178 Jan 13, 2013
Well, 2 out of 4 ain't bad. lol

Pats/Ravens will be a great game.

Akron, Ohio

#10179 Jan 19, 2013
What's everybody's picks for tomorrow?
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

#10180 Jan 19, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Pats 38
Ravens 24
----------
Falcons 24
49ers21

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10181 Jan 19, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Well, 2 out of 4 ain't bad. lol
Pats/Ravens will be a great game.
How about 1 out of 4?

What happened to that great Seattle defense? Why wasn't anyone covering Gonzalez during that last Atlanta possession?

And, what about Denver? What happened to Champ Baily? That guy used to be the best lockdown corner in the NFL. Now it appears he couldn't cover my grandmother. And to compound things, Manning pulls a Favre, and throws across his body, on the run, behind his receiver. He should know he doesn't have the arm strength to make that throw anymore. Geez.

And how about those 9ers. Give up a pick-6, then bury your opponents. I thought Rodgers would rise to the occasion, but I guess he can't do it all on his own. The GB defense is SERIOUSLY flawed.

And, of course, we all knew what the Patriots would do to the Texans. I just didn't expect the Texans to hang in there as long as they did.

The early game pits the 9ers against the Falcons. Kaepernick killed GB with his arm and his legs. Atlanta's defense is a little too stout to run over, so Kaepernick will have to find the holes in the secondary. The Falcon's QB Ryan and TE Gonzalez are pretty darn good, too. However, I believe the 9ers are just too much for the first time Falcons:

SF 35-21

The Patriots are playing a familiar foe in the Ravens. Brady is playing at his usual efficient level, and the Pats' high-octane offense is running smoothly on all cylinders.

It appears the Ravens are living on borrowed time after that late game collapse of the Broncos last week. Ray Lewis may be inspiring this team, but that will only carry them so far. QB Flacco will have to find a way to move the ball without relying on the Hail Mary. I'm not sure he can.

Pats should win this one and advance to their sixth SB since '01:

Pats 38-20

Akron, Ohio

#10182 Jan 19, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
How about 1 out of 4?
What happened to that great Seattle defense? Why wasn't anyone covering Gonzalez during that last Atlanta possession?
And, what about Denver? What happened to Champ Baily? That guy used to be the best lockdown corner in the NFL. Now it appears he couldn't cover my grandmother. And to compound things, Manning pulls a Favre, and throws across his body, on the run, behind his receiver. He should know he doesn't have the arm strength to make that throw anymore. Geez.
And how about those 9ers. Give up a pick-6, then bury your opponents. I thought Rodgers would rise to the occasion, but I guess he can't do it all on his own. The GB defense is SERIOUSLY flawed.
And, of course, we all knew what the Patriots would do to the Texans. I just didn't expect the Texans to hang in there as long as they did.
<quoted text>
The early game pits the 9ers against the Falcons. Kaepernick killed GB with his arm and his legs. Atlanta's defense is a little too stout to run over, so Kaepernick will have to find the holes in the secondary. The Falcon's QB Ryan and TE Gonzalez are pretty darn good, too. However, I believe the 9ers are just too much for the first time Falcons:
SF 35-21
The Patriots are playing a familiar foe in the Ravens. Brady is playing at his usual efficient level, and the Pats' high-octane offense is running smoothly on all cylinders.
It appears the Ravens are living on borrowed time after that late game collapse of the Broncos last week. Ray Lewis may be inspiring this team, but that will only carry them so far. QB Flacco will have to find a way to move the ball without relying on the Hail Mary. I'm not sure he can.
Pats should win this one and advance to their sixth SB since '01:
Pats 38-20
I can't explain the unexplainable. We all can analyze these games to death, but it is what it is when they sprint out onto the gridiron.

That being said, it is very comforting to have somebody stand behind the Pats in a game that I think is going to be a very emotional game for Baltimore.

So, the experience of the 9ers beats the # 1 seed Falcons. I get that.(I always look around for the upsets) I like Kaepernick too.

What about the rest of you? Football Historian, care to crawl out from under your Geico neanderthal rock, and join in regarding your 9ers?

Akron, Ohio

#10183 Jan 20, 2013
Congratulations to the 49ers and the Ravens!

Looks like we got us a Har Bowl.
Football Historian

Santa Barbara, CA

#10184 Jan 20, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't explain the unexplainable. We all can analyze these games to death, but it is what it is when they sprint out onto the gridiron.
That being said, it is very comforting to have somebody stand behind the Pats in a game that I think is going to be a very emotional game for Baltimore.
So, the experience of the 9ers beats the # 1 seed Falcons. I get that.(I always look around for the upsets) I like Kaepernick too.
What about the rest of you? Football Historian, care to crawl out from under your Geico neanderthal rock, and join in regarding your 9ers?
Neanderthal? Miss Bewitched....Are you trying to insult me or do you simply miss me? Yeah, I saw the game. How are you? And TMD, I always admire your analysis and opinions. If you guys want, I'll give my opinion on what happened in these games and a few historical parallels. What say you?

Akron, Ohio

#10185 Jan 21, 2013
Football Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Neanderthal? Miss Bewitched....Are you trying to insult me or do you simply miss me? Yeah, I saw the game. How are you? And TMD, I always admire your analysis and opinions. If you guys want, I'll give my opinion on what happened in these games and a few historical parallels. What say you?
Insult you? The commercial is about a neanderthal, but it reminds me of you in that you usually make your appearance about this time, insult US and leave again. I don't need your opinions of the games, I watched them, and I have my OWN opinions. I'm just congratulating the winning teams, and their fans, you being included as the 49ers advance to the SB.
Keene, NH

#10186 Jan 21, 2013
It's amazing this Tom Brady being overrated discussion is still going but I don't see how there is any doubt anymore. Tom is a good QB with a good arm that is usually pretty accurate but facts are facts.

One huge argument that he is overrated can be effectively stated in 2 words....Matt Cassell. When Brady missed that season and Cassell stepped in he took the Patriots to an 11-5 record. Now he is so bad in KC that fans (if you can call them that) actually cheered when he got hurt and had to leave a game this season.

His offensive line is always top notch...He gets to just stand there like statue in the pocket. When teams like the Giants just said the hell with it and sent the house repeatedly he couldn't handle and choked under the pressure.

Then there's Spygate. Living here in New England is very annoying regarding this topic. The fans here simply believe it either didn't happen and it was all made up because everyone is jealous of the mighty Patriots or that it did happen but it didn't help them in any way. Really? They put all that time and energy and risk of being punished into something that didn't help them? Sure. Again the facts speak for themselves. Patriots had 3 Super Bowl wins when they were cheating. Since....0. Tom Brady's playoff record while cheating - 10-0. Since....7-7.

And don't even bother with that "they all cheat crap." How far is that argument getting Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds? Face it New England. You're at the back end of a dynasty that was built out of cheating. Daniel Tosh said it best..."Your coach is a cheat, your rings are a lie you backup from Michigan.
Football Historian

Santa Barbara, CA

#10187 Jan 22, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Insult you? The commercial is about a neanderthal, but it reminds me of you in that you usually make your appearance about this time, insult US and leave again. I don't need your opinions of the games, I watched them, and I have my OWN opinions. I'm just congratulating the winning teams, and their fans, you being included as the 49ers advance to the SB.
In 2001, 2003 and 2004 Tom Brady had a tough, physical defense behind him. That defense was the heart of the team. The Patriots also believed in sticking to the run in those years. Brady was 9-0 in those 3 playoff seasons.

The Patriots didn't need Brady to carry the team. Brady had just 11 touchdowns passes in 9 playoff games in their 3 championship seasons.

But the Patriots slowly evolved away from the physical defense as well as the running game. They went to the spread offense and became a "finesse" team. With this, the Patriots began losing in the playoffs.

Brady is now 8-7 in the playoffs beginning with the 2005 season. Brady commented after today's loss that the Patriots "went away from the run game in the 2nd half and became a one dimensional offense". The entire team including Brady collapsed as a result.

You can't win Super Bowls if you're a one dimensional offense. You may have pretty stats. You may throw a lot of TD's. You may score many points in the regular season. But that means nothing come playoff time if you aren't physical.

Brady has played the Ravens 3 times in 4 years in the post season. His QB rating in those 3 games are 49.1, 57.5 and 63.3 while having 3 TD's and 7 interceptions. Of Brady's 24 career postseason games, 3 of his 4 worst performances have come against these Ravens.

The N.Y. Giants are physical and swept the Patriots last season. Baltimore and San Francisco are physical and they went 3-0 against the Patriots this season. When the great defensive players of the Patriots retired in 2007 and 2008, it was time to rebuild that defense. But it's taking Belichick forever to rebuild this defense. Bill Parcells was the coach that acquired the defense that carried the Patriots to their titles and Belichick has been unable to replicate that.

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#10188 Jan 22, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, well. Another weekend of pro-football mania.
Seattle with their rookie QB sensation Russell Wilson and their 1600 yard RB Marshawn Lynch take on the #1 seed led by wily veterans QB Matt Ryan, TE Tony Gonzalez, WR Julio Jones, and RB Mike Turner. Who will prevail? I'm going with the team that just recently put the smackdown on SF:
Seattle comfortably - 24-13
This next matchup could easily be the best of the weekend. San Francisco tries to duplicate last year's success, but must go through GB to do so. Led by first year QB Colin Kaepernick, RBs Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, they hope to celebrate a victory in front of the home crowd. However, QB Aaron Rodgers won't take that lying down as his Packers try to steal a close one in at bay:
Green Bay in a squeaker - 30-28
The perennial powerhouse of New England with QB Tom Brady, WRs Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd and, of course, TE Gronkowski (geez, that guy really needs a nickname) will be dueling a relative newcomer to postseason play, the Texans. QB Schaub and their outstanding RB, Arian Foster, will have their hands full trying to score enough points to withstand the barrage they will be facing. I'm going with the tried and true:
New England cruises - 32-17
Look who's back on top. Old man Manning is leading the #1 AFC seed at Mile High in another race to the SB. The high-powered Denver offense, led by QB Manning, WR Decker, and RB Moreno, will be running wild over their unlucky opponents, the Balitomre Ravens. In his farewell tour, MLB Ray Lewis will try to inject as much energy and emotion into his teammates as he can to win one more before he retires. QB Joe Flacco will do his best with talented wideout Anquan Boldin, and RB Ray Rice, but to no avail:
Denver moves forward - 28-10
> Hope you didn't bet that weekend! But, if you did you can contact Artie's Financial Services LLC. We'll handle your filing for Chapter 11.
>:)

“Media Darling USC! BRAAHAHAHA!”

Since: Jan 07

I'm Blessed to Live In DIXIE!

#10189 Jan 22, 2013
> Déjà vu all over again!
>:)

Akron, Ohio

#10190 Jan 23, 2013
Football Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2001, 2003 and 2004 Tom Brady had a tough, physical defense behind him. That defense was the heart of the team. The Patriots also believed in sticking to the run in those years. Brady was 9-0 in those 3 playoff seasons.
The Patriots didn't need Brady to carry the team. Brady had just 11 touchdowns passes in 9 playoff games in their 3 championship seasons.
But the Patriots slowly evolved away from the physical defense as well as the running game. They went to the spread offense and became a "finesse" team. With this, the Patriots began losing in the playoffs.
Brady is now 8-7 in the playoffs beginning with the 2005 season. Brady commented after today's loss that the Patriots "went away from the run game in the 2nd half and became a one dimensional offense". The entire team including Brady collapsed as a result.
You can't win Super Bowls if you're a one dimensional offense. You may have pretty stats. You may throw a lot of TD's. You may score many points in the regular season. But that means nothing come playoff time if you aren't physical.
Brady has played the Ravens 3 times in 4 years in the post season. His QB rating in those 3 games are 49.1, 57.5 and 63.3 while having 3 TD's and 7 interceptions. Of Brady's 24 career postseason games, 3 of his 4 worst performances have come against these Ravens.
The N.Y. Giants are physical and swept the Patriots last season. Baltimore and San Francisco are physical and they went 3-0 against the Patriots this season. When the great defensive players of the Patriots retired in 2007 and 2008, it was time to rebuild that defense. But it's taking Belichick forever to rebuild this defense. Bill Parcells was the coach that acquired the defense that carried the Patriots to their titles and Belichick has been unable to replicate that.
Interesting. Their defense was suspect all season long IMO. They put "bandaids" on the problem, so no surprise in a Playoff run that they came up short.

I didn't see ANY intensity, an underrated intangible, on the Patriot team as a whole. I didn't expect a side-show like the one that Ray Lewis had been putting on, during the week and on the big day, but I did expect a team that has been hungry to get a 4th SB win to be really pumped up! To be clear, I respect Ray Lewis for his football and leadership skills, and I think he will be a good analyst on ESPN, but we all know his past, and to watch him put on a show like that was just way over the top. Again IMO.

Pats sure could have used Gronkowski, they didn't need to have Talib leave at the half, and having Ridley pulled out of the game after that hit all worked against their efforts. Well, that ever so familiar healing, and soul searching time has arrived. I hope they keep Welker, he's not the only one who dropped the ball.(sorry pun)

Still a Pats fan.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10191 Jan 23, 2013
Brady is still an outstanding QB whom I have great respect for. On the other hand Belichick is somebody who has no principle whatsoever and there is no way I will ever respect him, especially after choosing to decline an interview after the loss so he could go soak his head in private.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 7 hr tom wingo 2,029
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr tom wingo 29,759
News Bulldogs post upset win (Jul '09) 10 hr tom wingo 3
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) May 17 tom wingo 84
News Chief shocked by critic, intends to remain (Dec '07) May 16 tom wingo 98
News Second former Illinois player alleges misconduc... May 14 tom wingo 2
News Former Cleveland State forward commits to Wichi... May 9 tom wingo 2
More from around the web