Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10095 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10156 Jan 7, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you're not listening. You insist on parroting this line about one bad season even though you've been told three times now that that is not the case. Who knows, maybe it will take three more seasons of no playoffs before you finally see the light.
Eli Manning is not going to get fired, so you know who that leaves...
<quoted text>
See. That line about one bad season again.
That tells me that you are deliberately distorting the facts to fit your argument. You, my friend, are in denial.
<quoted text>
Do you really think the owners of the Giants care today what Coughlin did with another team ten years ago? They almost fired him in '07. It didn't seem to have any bearing on that decision then.
<quoted text>
Really? You personally know the Giants' management? You presented this misguided argument to them and they agreed with you? You know for a fact that replacing Coughlin has not been recently addressed by the owners? If you know all this, then I concede. However, I find that hard to believe since they almost fired him six years ago.
<quoted text>
If you're trying to convince me that Coughlin bears no blame in these seasons that the Giants don't even make the playoffs and that he should stay, you're doing an even worse job.
No one expects a SB championship every year, but we do expect a team as talented as the Giants to, at least, make it to the playoffs. No one expected them to completely miss the playoffs three out of the last four years.
And, please don't tell me it's unreasonable or can't be done. The Patriots and the Colts (even with a rookie QB, coach, and half a roster full of rookies/second/third year players) have proven it can.
You and I are just not going to agree on this, and that doesn't make either of us right or wrong. We just see things differently.
Thanks for the discussion. It's been stimulating.
All I see here is a lot of blather. Not everything that happens can be squarely laid at the coaches feet. You can nit peck without end with questionable "facts", but the Giants are not firing Coughlin and the Jags owner who fired him now regrets having fired him. Get over it.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10157 Jan 7, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>All I see here is a lot of blather. Not everything that happens can be squarely laid at the coaches feet. You can nit peck without end with questionable "facts", but the Giants are not firing Coughlin and the Jags owner who fired him now regrets having fired him. Get over it.
Oh, stop being so serious. That's what gets you into so much trouble in the other forums. You take all this too personally. Truth be known, we're both nitpicking. You ignore my points to cherry pick points of contention, and I do the same.

I think you've forgotten that we're just two people having a conversation. Neither one of us runs or owns any professional sports teams, so we have no "inside" information. Our opinions are our opinions, and most of it is pure conjecture.

There's nothing for me to "get over" because I have no stake in any of this. I'm just having a conversation. Calm down.

We've beaten this horse to death. Let's find something else to talk about...

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10158 Jan 7, 2013
Baltimore vs Denver
New England vs Houston
Seattle vs Green Bay
Green Bay vs San Francisco

Thoughts?

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10159 Jan 7, 2013
Seattle vs Atlanta

sorry

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10160 Jan 7, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, stop being so serious. That's what gets you into so much trouble in the other forums. You take all this too personally. Truth be known, we're both nitpicking. You ignore my points to cherry pick points of contention, and I do the same.
I think you've forgotten that we're just two people having a conversation. Neither one of us runs or owns any professional sports teams, so we have no "inside" information. Our opinions are our opinions, and most of it is pure conjecture.
There's nothing for me to "get over" because I have no stake in any of this. I'm just having a conversation. Calm down.
We've beaten this horse to death. Let's find something else to talk about...
Somehow I had the sneakiest feeling you were in this just for the sake of being contrary. Meanwhile, I do enjoy a nice heated debate once in a while, but this one I will admit got stale after a while. BTW, I am a Giant fan who sees no immediate need to dismiss Coughlin. I will admit he is getting old and perhaps it will take a toll one day and it may come time for him and the team to part ways, especially if he develops any serious health problems. I believe he should consider retirement at age 68 or earlier if his mind starts to slip. In 2013, I will say that the Giants need to concentrate more on the defensive side in the draft and free agency and consider parting ways with some aging veterans with big contracts. Any thoughts about that?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10161 Jan 7, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Somehow I had the sneakiest feeling you were in this just for the sake of being contrary. Meanwhile, I do enjoy a nice heated debate once in a while, but this one I will admit got stale after a while.
I don't mind playing devil's advocate from time to time. You've heard the old adage that there are three sides to every story. I believe that holds true for arguments, as well. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I'm just trying to get to the sweet spot.

BTW, I am a Giant fan who sees no immediate need to dismiss Coughlin. I will admit he is getting old and perhaps it will take a toll one day and it may come time for him and the team to part ways, especially if he develops any serious health problems. I believe he should consider retirement at age 68 or earlier if his mind starts to slip.
Well, he's 66 now, so one way or the other he may be gone pretty soon.

In 2013, I will say that the Giants need to concentrate more on the defensive side in the draft and free agency and consider parting ways with some aging veterans with big contracts. Any thoughts about that?
I'm a Colts/Steelers fan and I have seen both franchises go through the upheaval of rebuilding. It's usually a slow torturous rise back to the levels enjoyed before the purge. As a matter of fact, I was prepared to endure such a period in Indy, then this kid named Luck came along and changed the entire paradigm. I think the same could happen in NY if another LT or Strahan can be found.

When Strahan retired I thought the Giants were going to start the rebuild/retooling process in NY. Unfortunately, they have chosen to apply a patch here and a there, instead of taking the New England model and trading away aging veterans for draft picks. Think of all the replacement draft picks they could have made by now. The D-line could have been completely retooled. Those corners could have been replaced.

Yes, I realize guys like Strahan don't come along every year, but it would have been preferable to watching the defense slowly decline, and watching a team with so much talent miss out, again, on the post season.

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10162 Jan 7, 2013
Giants fans get no respect around here...I wonder why. Could it be that they handed them one of the biggest upsets of all time? It wouldn't surprise me if NE wins it all this year. No need to get emotional over it, but I fully expect a barrage of insults and unkind remarks because some people think that football has no room for a sense of humor. If you take yourself and this great game so seriously, I fail to see how it can be enjoyed. I love it when my team wins, but it's not the end of the world if they don't.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10163 Jan 7, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind playing devil's advocate from time to time. You've heard the old adage that there are three sides to every story. I believe that holds true for arguments, as well. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I'm just trying to get to the sweet spot.
<quoted text>
Well, he's 66 now, so one way or the other he may be gone pretty soon.
<quoted text>
I'm a Colts/Steelers fan and I have seen both franchises go through the upheaval of rebuilding. It's usually a slow torturous rise back to the levels enjoyed before the purge. As a matter of fact, I was prepared to endure such a period in Indy, then this kid named Luck came along and changed the entire paradigm. I think the same could happen in NY if another LT or Strahan can be found.
When Strahan retired I thought the Giants were going to start the rebuild/retooling process in NY. Unfortunately, they have chosen to apply a patch here and a there, instead of taking the New England model and trading away aging veterans for draft picks. Think of all the replacement draft picks they could have made by now. The D-line could have been completely retooled. Those corners could have been replaced.
Yes, I realize guys like Strahan don't come along every year, but it would have been preferable to watching the defense slowly decline, and watching a team with so much talent miss out, again, on the post season.
Can you just imagine in today's free agency rules how the late George Allen who would take supposedly washed up or nearly washed up players and transform them into a well-oiled machine would do? He never won a Super Bowl, but his teams were usually in contention to go all the way.

Getting to the Giants, they do not have much to dealwith as far as trading players for draft choices and even some of the choices acquired this way may never pan out as hoped. Perhaps Justin Tuck may have some trade value and if Rueben Randle's game against Philly was no fluke, perhaps Nicks could bring some good draft choices in a trade or he could be dealt for a good young defensive player. Accorsi's philosophy of drafting the best athlete available (in his opinion) sometimes will produce a surprising upgrade over a decent veteran player who still may have trade value left.

Perhaps the Giants could pull a George Allen and sign an aging former all pro with great football smarts and just enough left in the tank for another season or two at a bargain price. I can remember them in 1970 signing a 37 year old vet, Matt Hazeltine, a very smart player who plugged a big hole at starting outside line backer for the 1970 giants who finished above .500 for the first time since 1963 in that year. They also got a starting DT in veteran Jim Kanicki in the trade of an aging and fading veteran WR, Homer Jones for a young running back, Ron Johnson, who twice rushed for over 1000 yards, the first one ever to do so with the Giants and made two Pro Bowls in his career.

Your old adage must have been the old Chinese proverb: There are two sides to every argument...your side, my side, and the right side.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10164 Jan 8, 2013
Mister Awful wrote:
Giants fans get no respect around here...I wonder why. Could it be that they handed them one of the biggest upsets of all time? It wouldn't surprise me if NE wins it all this year. No need to get emotional over it, but I fully expect a barrage of insults and unkind remarks because some people think that football has no room for a sense of humor. If you take yourself and this great game so seriously, I fail to see how it can be enjoyed. I love it when my team wins, but it's not the end of the world if they don't.
MA, where have you been. I can't believe you missed the entire conversation about your beloved Giants. Usually, you just jump right in. What happened?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10165 Jan 8, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Can you just imagine in today's free agency rules how the late George Allen who would take supposedly washed up or nearly washed up players and transform them into a well-oiled machine would do? He never won a Super Bowl, but his teams were usually in contention to go all the way.
I think Belichick has tried this without much success. For every Welker on the roster, there are two Mosses that were failed experiments (ie, Hanesworth, Dillon). The job of scouting talent is so refined nowadays, that if someone is cast off by a team, there's usually a pretty sound reason for it.

Getting to the Giants, they do not have much to deal with as far as trading players for draft choices and even some of the choices acquired this way may never pan out as hoped. Perhaps Justin Tuck may have some trade value and if Rueben Randle's game against Philly was no fluke, perhaps Nicks could bring some good draft choices in a trade or he could be dealt for a good young defensive player. Accorsi's philosophy of drafting the best athlete available (in his opinion) sometimes will produce a surprising upgrade over a decent veteran player who still may have trade value left.
Tuck is a good candidate for trade. So is Umenyiora.

Perhaps the Giants could pull a George Allen and sign an aging former all pro with great football smarts and just enough left in the tank for another season or two at a bargain price. I can remember them in 1970 signing a 37 year old vet, Matt Hazeltine, a very smart player who plugged a big hole at starting outside line backer for the 1970 giants who finished above .500 for the first time since 1963 in that year. They also got a starting DT in veteran Jim Kanicki in the trade of an aging and fading veteran WR, Homer Jones for a young running back, Ron Johnson, who twice rushed for over 1000 yards, the first one ever to do so with the Giants and made two Pro Bowls in his career.
I guess this is possible, but I would rather see them draft some new, young studs. Maybe they should spend a little more time scouting at some of the smaller colleges, or some of the powerhouse lower division schools.

Another rich source of football talent is the CFL.

Your old adage must have been the old Chinese proverb: There are two sides to every argument...your side, my side, and the right side.
Yeah, I've heard several different versions of that.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10166 Jan 8, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Baltimore vs Denver
New England vs Houston
Seattle vs Green Bay
Thoughts?
You first...
ShizzyB

Worcester, MA

#10167 Jan 8, 2013
How can anyone that is considered one of the best QB's EVER be considered overrated? In my opinion only Montana was better.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10168 Jan 8, 2013
New England, Green Bay. Atlanta, Denver

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10169 Jan 9, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Belichick has tried this without much success. For every Welker on the roster, there are two Mosses that were failed experiments (ie, Hanesworth, Dillon). The job of scouting talent is so refined nowadays, that if someone is cast off by a team, there's usually a pretty sound reason for it.
I have rethought that one a bit as the larger rosters make the cutting of a wise old veteran player less likely if he still has a little left in the tank. Back when they had 43 man rosters, there were always some good vets who still had a few good years left in them being displaced on the roster by a young phenom.
Gemcos

Cumberland, RI

#10170 Jan 9, 2013
Really, does this person who wrote the article even watch football or played the game of football? NOT! Don't write what you know nothing about. Ask Brady's peers and not just his team. He's one of the most respected QB's in the league.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10171 Jan 9, 2013
Gemcos wrote:
Really, does this person who wrote the article even watch football or played the game of football? NOT! Don't write what you know nothing about. Ask Brady's peers and not just his team. He's one of the most respected QB's in the league.
I agree!
D brown

United States

#10172 Jan 11, 2013
U sound like a assclown!

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10173 Jan 11, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
MA, where have you been. I can't believe you missed the entire conversation about your beloved Giants. Usually, you just jump right in. What happened?
Just been busy. Good luck to yous guys this weekend, which ever team you're betting the farm on. I like Aaron Rodgers, but the Patriots look like the ones to beat.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10174 Jan 11, 2013
Mister Awful wrote:
<quoted text>
Just been busy. Good luck to yous guys this weekend, which ever team you're betting the farm on. I like Aaron Rodgers, but the Patriots look like the ones to beat.
lol I remember last season someone saying "can't beat em, so might as well join em." C'mon man, ya can't even hang with the Pats fans 2 Playoff runs in a row?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10175 Jan 11, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Baltimore vs Denver
New England vs Houston
Seattle vs Atlanta
Thoughts?
Well, well. Another weekend of pro-football mania.

Seattle with their rookie QB sensation Russell Wilson and their 1600 yard RB Marshawn Lynch take on the #1 seed led by wily veterans QB Matt Ryan, TE Tony Gonzalez, WR Julio Jones, and RB Mike Turner. Who will prevail? I'm going with the team that just recently put the smackdown on SF:

Seattle comfortably - 24-13

This next matchup could easily be the best of the weekend. San Francisco tries to duplicate last year's success, but must go through GB to do so. Led by first year QB Colin Kaepernick, RBs Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, they hope to celebrate a victory in front of the home crowd. However, QB Aaron Rodgers won't take that lying down as his Packers try to steal a close one in at bay:

Green Bay in a squeaker - 30-28

The perennial powerhouse of New England with QB Tom Brady, WRs Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd and, of course, TE Gronkowski (geez, that guy really needs a nickname) will be dueling a relative newcomer to postseason play, the Texans. QB Schaub and their outstanding RB, Arian Foster, will have their hands full trying to score enough points to withstand the barrage they will be facing. I'm going with the tried and true:

New England cruises - 32-17

Look who's back on top. Old man Manning is leading the #1 AFC seed at Mile High in another race to the SB. The high-powered Denver offense, led by QB Manning, WR Decker, and RB Moreno, will be running wild over their unlucky opponents, the Balitomre Ravens. In his farewell tour, MLB Ray Lewis will try to inject as much energy and emotion into his teammates as he can to win one more before he retires. QB Joe Flacco will do his best with talented wideout Anquan Boldin, and RB Ray Rice, but to no avail:

Denver moves forward - 28-10

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 17 min LMFAO Pharts 34,173
News State of the Irish program (Feb '11) Mon HahahaPhart 4
News Will Grier Impresses, Again, As West Virginia S... Sep 16 Listed phart 6
News NMSU quarterback returns to Arizona for opener Sep 3 Quarter phart 2
News Arizona State knocks off New Mexico State 37-31... Sep 3 For phartts 2
News Seacoast sobriety checkpoints result in DWI cha... Aug 29 Sea Phartt 4
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Aug 28 FindPhartss 23
More from around the web