Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10098 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#10051 Oct 18, 2012
football wrote:
Go Patriots!
Go Video-Taping other teams walkthroughs

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10052 Oct 19, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Yeah, i have always been a defense guy, and i think it has lost something....imagine reacting full-speed to the ballcarrier, and at the last nanosecond, you have to reconsider, how to tackle....Plus, the league plays favorites alot.....Imagine if Tom Brady's knee was blown out by a chopblock, like Brian Cushing's knee was....think you'd hear more about it, or that the offender would be fined and suspended HEAVILY?......Football has lost something in it's safety considerations and politics.....much like, baseball has probably lost younger fans, due to a reluctance to embrace newer technology, like replay...
While some hits that get flagged are absolutely accidental with no intent to inflict injury, there are still many that result from depraved carelessness, recklessness, or outright maliciousness. When I started watching football in 1959, necktie tackles, bringing runners down with a forearm to the chin, and leading with a helmet were all legal. But that was in a era when the average interior lineman weighed about 250 lbs. and most of them ran about a half second slower 40 yard dash. Today's linebackers are faster than many of the running backs and receivers 50 years ago. For instance, Pull Hornung and Jim Taylor who anchored Genn Bay's great running attack in the early 60s ran 4.9 and 5.0 40 yard dashes respectively. That is slower than nearly all linebackers and many defensive linemen today. Today's faster runners greatly increase the likelyhood of serious injury and nobocy wants to see games played with second string QBs. That is why we have such rules. It is a necessary evil.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10053 Oct 19, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
I luv the old stories, keep them coming! I LUVED Sayre!
It's a whole new ball game now. 190 doesn't cut it in a LOT of positions now. That's why I asked why is Vick down to 185???
Do you think the NFL has lost of finesse from the old days? I sure do miss it. Not the same any more, and I really do think it is keeping some players out of the HOF.
One big difference is the much bigger rosters which allow a ream to be more specialized. Back in the days of the 36 man rosters, there were 22 starters leaving room for 14 more players including kickers and even less than that if your kickers were not also position players like some were back then. That only allowed a maximum of two reserves at every position and as a result, the same players were usually on the field regardless of the situation except in a kicking situation. As I mentioned previously in this post, it was not unusual for a kicker to also be a position player and some place kickers also punted. In 1961, the Packers and Lions finished as the two top teams in the Western Conference and both team's punters and kickers were position players and three out of four of them made the Pro Bowl at some point in their career on the basis of their performance as a position player.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10054 Oct 19, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>One big difference is the much bigger rosters which allow a ream to be more specialized. Back in the days of the 36 man rosters, there were 22 starters leaving room for 14 more players including kickers and even less than that if your kickers were not also position players like some were back then. That only allowed a maximum of two reserves at every position and as a result, the same players were usually on the field regardless of the situation except in a kicking situation. As I mentioned previously in this post, it was not unusual for a kicker to also be a position player and some place kickers also punted. In 1961, the Packers and Lions finished as the two top teams in the Western Conference and both team's punters and kickers were position players and three out of four of them made the Pro Bowl at some point in their career on the basis of their performance as a position player.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10055 Oct 19, 2012
Thought you might enjoy the read.

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#10056 Oct 19, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you think so, but most other fans are wise enough to know that he has a way to go before being declared one of the better QBs let alone the greatest.
Ever hear of sarcasm?

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10057 Oct 20, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> I grew up in the S.Chicago area, and saw alot of Gayle Sayre's games....i have never seen anything like him, even since...though Simms was alot like him...Sayre's could cut, horizantal to the ground...f'ing incredible...he was a true ankle-breaker....unfortunatly, at 190 pounds, he was way too short-lived....Sayres and Butkus are two players, i personally have never seen duplicated.....Seems i recall seeing Don Looney in a magazine, back then and he was a muscle freak?.....
Sayers made running the football an art form. Butkus was as tough as any middle LB to ever play the game against the run. There have, however, been clearly better pass defenders at the MLB position.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10058 Oct 20, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
Thought you might enjoy the read.
I was aware of Mr. Blanda's performance as a QB and place kicker. How about the Detroit Lion's Yale Lary who was an all-pro safety and led the league in punting average in the same season? Not only did he punt far, but his hang time was unmatched. In 1960, the total yardage of his opponent's punt returns was less than the number of punts he made that year. He was still playing well when he retired at age 34.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10059 Oct 20, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>I was aware of Mr. Blanda's performance as a QB and place kicker. How about the Detroit Lion's Yale Lary who was an all-pro safety and led the league in punting average in the same season? Not only did he punt far, but his hang time was unmatched. In 1960, the total yardage of his opponent's punt returns was less than the number of punts he made that year. He was still playing well when he retired at age 34.
Hang time better than Ray Guy of the Raiders?

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10060 Oct 20, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Hang time better than Ray Guy of the Raiders?
It is very possible that he was Ray Guy's equal if not superior. Fewer return yards against than total punts in one season is a very impressive record.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#10061 Oct 25, 2012
AntonChigurh81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh look someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Cassel was a very good back up. Reason he is a starter now. Go and put mark Sanchez in NE and tell me how many wins they would have.
Most people that hate the pats or bring up the overrated aspect are fans of teams the pats always destroy unless you are a giants fan.
Going down as one of the top 3 best QBs to every play this game and i love every second of it!
Seems you are the one with that doesn't know what he is talking about:

"Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel announced Monday that Brady Quinn will be under center when the Chiefs play Oakland on Sunday, and Matt Cassel will serve as the backup for the foreseeable future after struggling mightily through the first five games of the season."

http://www.news-leader.com/viewart/20121023/S...

Cassel sucks yet went 11-5 with the Patriots. He went elsewhere and was exposed as a mediocre QB.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10062 Oct 29, 2012
I'm sure everyone has heard about the Sports Illustrated poll of the most overrated NFL players. 180 NFL players were asked who they thought were the most overrated players in the NFL.

These are the top 20:

1. Tim Tebow (QB - NY Jets)
2. Mark Sanchez (QB - NY Jets)
3. Tony Romo (QB - Dallas Cowboys)
4. Michael Vick (QB - Philadelphia Eagles)
5. Ray Lewis (MLB - Baltimore Ravens)
6. Reggie Bush (RB - Miami Dolphins)
7. Nnamdi Asomugha (CB - Philadelphia Eagles)
8. Michael Crabtree (WR - SF 49ers)
9. Tom Brady (QB - NE Patriots)
10. Ndamukong Suh (DT - Detroit Lions)
11. B.J. Raji (NT - GB Packers)
12. Brian Urlacher (MLB - Chicago Bears)
13. Philip Rivers (QB - SD Chargers)
14. Dwayne Bowe (WR - KC Chiefs)
15. Eli Manning (QB - NY Giants)
16. Cam Newton (QB - Carolina Panthers)
17. Troy Polamalu (S - Pittsburgh Steelers)
18. Darnell Dockett (DE - Arizona Cardinals)
19. DeAngelo Hall (CB - Washington Redskins)
20. Roddy White (WR - Atlanta Falcons)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/p...

I find it curious that the top two were the Jets' QBs. Neither one gets any respect around the league - how can they be overrated?

Also interesting that half of the most overrated players were QBs. The green-eyed monster strikes again...

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10063 Oct 29, 2012
-Just Sayin- wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems you are the one with that doesn't know what he is talking about:
"Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel announced Monday that Brady Quinn will be under center when the Chiefs play Oakland on Sunday, and Matt Cassel will serve as the backup for the foreseeable future after struggling mightily through the first five games of the season."
http://www.news-leader.com/viewart/20121023/S...
Cassel sucks yet went 11-5 with the Patriots. He went elsewhere and was exposed as a mediocre QB.
Any QB would struggle with the Chiefs right now, but your point is well made. Having a good offensive line to protect you, a good running game to take the pressure off the passing game and good receivers to throw to makes the job a lot easier.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#10064 Oct 29, 2012
TMD wrote:
I'm sure everyone has heard about the Sports Illustrated poll of the most overrated NFL players. 180 NFL players were asked who they thought were the most overrated players in the NFL.
These are the top 20:
1. Tim Tebow (QB - NY Jets)
2. Mark Sanchez (QB - NY Jets)
3. Tony Romo (QB - Dallas Cowboys)
4. Michael Vick (QB - Philadelphia Eagles)
5. Ray Lewis (MLB - Baltimore Ravens)
6. Reggie Bush (RB - Miami Dolphins)
7. Nnamdi Asomugha (CB - Philadelphia Eagles)
8. Michael Crabtree (WR - SF 49ers)
9. Tom Brady (QB - NE Patriots)
10. Ndamukong Suh (DT - Detroit Lions)
11. B.J. Raji (NT - GB Packers)
12. Brian Urlacher (MLB - Chicago Bears)
13. Philip Rivers (QB - SD Chargers)
14. Dwayne Bowe (WR - KC Chiefs)
15. Eli Manning (QB - NY Giants)
16. Cam Newton (QB - Carolina Panthers)
17. Troy Polamalu (S - Pittsburgh Steelers)
18. Darnell Dockett (DE - Arizona Cardinals)
19. DeAngelo Hall (CB - Washington Redskins)
20. Roddy White (WR - Atlanta Falcons)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/p...
I find it curious that the top two were the Jets' QBs. Neither one gets any respect around the league - how can they be overrated?
Also interesting that half of the most overrated players were QBs. The green-eyed monster strikes again...
I see Brady made the list, but it doesn't mean he is not a very good QB. However, I hesitate to call him the best, especially after his last two Super Bowl performances.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10065 Oct 29, 2012
I think it's a premature article.

I use to respect Sports Illustrated, but there are names on this list that I think should not be there even at this halfway point of the season: Ray Lewis? Eli Manning? Tom Brady? Brian Urlacher? Troy Polamalu? I'm sure there are probably more, but a lot of these teams I don't watch.

What do ya say we just let this season play out?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10066 Oct 29, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
I think it's a premature article.
I use to respect Sports Illustrated, but there are names on this list that I think should not be there even at this halfway point of the season: Ray Lewis? Eli Manning? Tom Brady? Brian Urlacher? Troy Polamalu? I'm sure there are probably more, but a lot of these teams I don't watch.
What do ya say we just let this season play out?
I wish SI would release the names of the players they polled. The list of overrated players is ridiculous and smacks of envy.

Some of the players on the list do seem to be overrated (DeAngelo Hall anyone?), but many of the others are leading the league in at least one, positive, statistical category (Eli Manning, Tom Brady), and can hardly be called overrated.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10067 Oct 29, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>I see Brady made the list, but it doesn't mean he is not a very good QB. However, I hesitate to call him the best, especially after his last two Super Bowl performances.
I don't think anybody is suggesting he is the best, just one of the best. The NFL now has a number of very good QBs.

The main reason I posted that poll was to show the level of envy and animosity that exists towards NFL stars even amomg the NFL players, themselves. It goes a long ways towards explaining the, sometimes, irrational biases the fans have for their favorite players.

If a guy who plays on the same field with these NFL stars can't form an objective opinion of a fellow player, how are the fans supposed to?

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10068 Oct 29, 2012
Then nobody should be polled... fans, players, coaches, owners, media ... because being objective doesn't exist.

Let the year end records do the speaking, and not a writer for SI trying to meet his deadline.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10069 Oct 29, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
Then nobody should be polled... fans, players, coaches, owners, media ... because being objective doesn't exist.
Let the year end records do the speaking, and not a writer for SI trying to meet his deadline.
Calm down, Sam. I think you're overreacting.

There are many ways to look at a list of players objectively, it just depends on what empirical data is relevant to the poll. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/ is a website dedicated to making objective determinations of this kind.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10070 Oct 29, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Calm down, Sam. I think you're overreacting.
There are many ways to look at a list of players objectively, it just depends on what empirical data is relevant to the poll. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/ is a website dedicated to making objective determinations of this kind.
I'm not upset in any kind of way. It's just that SI should be a publication that sets the standard in monthly publications. I will check out your website.

Do you like where tOSU is sitting at this point in time? I know they can't advance into post season play, but isn't it a matter of pride now? I hope Miller is ok. Only thing that matters is the Michigan game anyway. lol

Hunker down for the storm. Don't know what we can expect except for high winds and rain in our state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pastor's flock remains faithful (Jan '09) 5 hr Be Jesus like 36
News Four Halton field lacrosse teams heading to OFSAA Sat predators still o... 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Trojan 32,267
News Conference USA Basketball Tournament will retur... May 26 huey goins 1
News Syracuse Football: Orange Attending Satellite C... May 14 tomeson 1
News 2016 Rio Olympics: Team USA Unveils Women's Bas... May 11 Ivyawe 2
News UConn women's basketball team will make 11th tr... May 11 Ivyawe 1
More from around the web