USC's Carroll flags Pac-10 refs

Full story: LA Daily News 41
USC coach Pete Carroll spoke to the Pacific-10 Conference this week about one his favorite subjects: Penalties. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
neoncactus

Atlanta, GA

#1 Oct 29, 2008
Great job complaining about the refs, Pete. Especially those calls they missed when USC committed pass interference at the 1 and horsecollared Arizona's running back, neither of which were called!
cvv

Pico Rivera, CA

#2 Oct 29, 2008
The guy has been PAC-10 offensive player of the week how many times in those ten games?
SC FAN

Duarte, CA

#3 Oct 29, 2008
man there sure are some MAJOR expectations being measured against Mark Sanchez, if people would just step back and compare apples to apples, they would see he is doing as good if not better than most of the previous QB's did their first year starting. Ya there have been a few growing pains, but that's going to happen in the game no matter how long you have practiced. The kid has been named Offensive Player of the week 3 times so far this year, past for 5 touchdowns in one half, and this is his first year as a starter, that's more than you can say for the guys that proceeded him in the position at USC, and those guys were extremely successful, so you do the math.
Joe

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Oct 29, 2008
Yea I saw that horsecollar, that was horrible and USC should have been flagged. For some reason the ref's love them because they are the only thing that is going on in PAC-10. Everyone else either have new coaches or have some other problem.

I don't like USC, but I have to say this, Sanchez is not horrible, and he's not great either. USC can't have anymore of these games where he struggles. Everyone around him is ready so he has to grow up fast. Thats the only criticism. Other than that everyone around him is ready and are done growing, they're ready to play.
John

Thornhill, Canada

#5 Oct 29, 2008
The people who complain about play calling have never called plays. If they had they would realise it does not matter, it is the execution of the plays.
RESPIRATO

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Oct 29, 2008
Its not to much of a strech... QB's are in a position to keep the point spread down
trojan faithful

Torrance, CA

#8 Oct 29, 2008
Hey man beach dud, and your a--holes in westwood never complain about the officals??????
How about that dream team coaching staff!!!! HAHA!
i love it!!! oh yea, wait for basketball season you big frigging loser!!!
Eddy G

Washington, DC

#11 Oct 29, 2008
I don't know if Pete Carroll has a fairness argument about PAC 10 officials or not. As a football fan from the other coast who gets to see late-night PAC 10 games on the tube, I can tell you that PAC 10 officials are awful. They don't seem to be awake. They don't seem to be paying attention. And they often times don't seem to know the rules. Most of the nation wouldn't accept high school refs as awful as PAC 10 refs. And it's killing the credibility of your conference.
UCLA ROB

Trenton, NJ

#12 Oct 29, 2008
Eddy G wrote:
I don't know if Pete Carroll has a fairness argument about PAC 10 officials or not. As a football fan from the other coast who gets to see late-night PAC 10 games on the tube, I can tell you that PAC 10 officials are awful. They don't seem to be awake. They don't seem to be paying attention. And they often times don't seem to know the rules. Most of the nation wouldn't accept high school refs as awful as PAC 10 refs. And it's killing the credibility of your conference.
They are the worse by far, but Carroll never complained before because all the calls always went against the other teams. Now that SOME calls are being called on usc, now he's beeing a little byatch about it.
manhattan beach dude

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Oct 29, 2008
UCLA ROB wrote:
<quoted text>
They are the worse by far, but Carroll never complained before because all the calls always went against the other teams. Now that SOME calls are being called on usc, now he's beeing a little byatch about it.
ROB did you forget this is MR FOOTBALL, he invented the game, how dare anyone question Pete Carroll!!!

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Since: Aug 08

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#14 Oct 29, 2008
manhattan beach dude wrote:
<quoted text>
ROB did you forget this is MR FOOTBALL, he invented the game, how dare anyone question Pete Carroll!!!
You got that right, buddy!

I have to agree with Eddy G, though. I'm not sure there's bias, but there is definitely some quality control issues going on here. Anybody else remember that one game a few years back where the refs overturned the call on the field via coach's challenge, and then overturned the overturn call via another coach's challenge? The same play was challenged successfully twice. Seriously What. The. Fudge?
UCLA ROB

Trenton, NJ

#15 Oct 29, 2008
<quoted text>
This arse whole has won several games in the past 6 years because of the same refs' calls.

Do you remember in 2004 when it was an obvious reggie bush fumble that Spencer Havener recovered and there was nothing but daylight for a TD and the refs called the pass incomplete? UCLA SHOULD HAVE WON that game 31-29 INSTEAD THE LOST 29-24 And of course USC went on to play for the BCS NC game vs. Okahoma in the OB.

I hate the Pac 10 refs almost as much as I hate Pete Carroll.
UCLA ROB SAYS YES ON 8

Trenton, NJ

#17 Oct 29, 2008
BAD COACHING? FOR SURE, BUT WHEN YOU HAVE LOSY OFFICIATING TO BOOT, IT'S EVEN WORSE. I'M SHOCKED OUT OF CONFERENCE TEAMS STILL SCHEDULE ROAD GAMES VS. PAC 10.
Shenanigans

Chino, CA

#19 Oct 30, 2008
People, toss your biases aside. The PAC-10 refs are actually some of the best officials in the country. You can see penalties on TV because of great camera angles, replays, and all that other stuff. Before you criticize officials, consider their jobs. Referee looks through the QB to the guard and tackle opposite him, then watches line action and the QB throughout the play. Umpire watches center, guard, and tackle opposite him, watching for holds, illegals blocks, etc. Does not watch ball. Line judge and head lines have outside man at snap and for 10 yards or so. Also have offensive tackle and are responsible for progress. Side and field judge assist with downfield action, watching for illegal blocks, holding, PI, etc. Back judge has the game clock, as well as remainder of field. Watches for illegal contact, holding, illegal blocks, PI, etc. 7 pairs of eyes trying to see everything at once. They're not machines. The goal is to get the big penalties. They're not there to nitpick. It's about game management. Read up on officiating philosophies, or better yet, step into their shoes before you criticize.

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#20 Oct 30, 2008
Yah, at least our Pac-10 refs don't knock the QB backwards with a forearm shiver.
Shenanigans

Chino, CA

#21 Oct 30, 2008
I defended that guy too.
manhattan beach dude

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Oct 30, 2008
CPEM wrote:
Yah, at least our Pac-10 refs don't knock the QB backwards with a forearm shiver.
best block this year in CF

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#24 Oct 31, 2008
<quoted text>
best block this year in CF
Did you see the way he bounced into the hole? He then stayed in his assignment, he didn't over-pursue, and he let the ball-carrier come to him. He kept his head up when he initiated contact. I heard that one of the coaches criticized him for not finishing out the tackle, saying that he needs to drive through the ball-carrier next time. Funniest thing I ever saw.
John Von Germany

Landstuhl, Germany

#25 Oct 31, 2008
Let me go on the record as stating that USC blows. But Petey...you rock. Good job bro. I think your spot on with yer assessment regarding the blind Zebra's. They are Donkeys in disguise.
Bruin B-Ball will kick yer USC ever lovin....
University of Spoiled Children = USC Oregon kicked yer butts. hahahahahahaha!!
Papa Sam

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#26 Oct 31, 2008
I suggest Pete Carrol get some lessons from Ben Howland. He sure knows how to pay off the refs. That Texas A&M game last year was a joke, also what about Cal and Stanford. We are so lucky to have donors and coaches paying off referees.
UCLA ROB wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vidal Hazelton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sources: USC receiver Carswell might be headed ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Market908 25
WR Brandon Carswell headed to Cincinnati? (Jul '10) Jul '10 Brew In 1
Signing Day 2010: Stay updated as recruits conf... (Feb '10) Feb '10 David Gold 1
Shamarko Thomas drops Cards for Orange (Apr '09) Apr '09 Karl O Bender 1
CFB: Usc WR Hazelton to transfer to Cincinnati (Jan '09) Jan '09 BigDan 2
Trojans will face basic Penn State offense (Dec '08) Dec '08 Trojan Longie 12
Former Trojan Hazelton narrows transfer choices... (Dec '08) Dec '08 iii 6
•••
•••

Vidal Hazelton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••