Alston runs with chance; Jenkins defends Stewart

There are 4 comments on the Register-herald.com story from Nov 15, 2010, titled Alston runs with chance; Jenkins defends Stewart. In it, Register-herald.com reports that:

West Virginia running back Shawne Alston had to feel like the forgotten man. Seems like no matter how much coaches praised the 5-foot-11, 222-pound wrecking ball - and they all did, from running backs coach Chris Beatty, to offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen and right on up to Bill Stewart - it never seemed to make a difference.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Register-herald.com.

MSCM

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Nov 16, 2010
Hey Josh, it looks like the oline are the ones eating doughnuts this year. Worst line in WVU history. This falls on the coaches.
Zac

York, NE

#2 Nov 17, 2010
MSCM wrote:
Hey Josh, it looks like the oline are the ones eating doughnuts this year. Worst line in WVU history. This falls on the coaches.
For the most part, I disagree. I'll give you the short version from a comment I submitted under "Toilet Bowl Bound."

"Coach Stew has done too much for the University as well as the football program to simply be summarily dismissed. Not to mention, he has proven to be a decent and honorable human being. Jeff Mullen, on the other hand... I'll take a step back. He can defend the play-calling against UConn. I will even agree that it worked for the most part; player execution was far more at fault than the play-calling. He can neither defend the play calling against Syracuse nor against LSU. While there were some execution issues in both games, the play call, especially against Syracuse was atrocious!"

That's my feeling on the issue.
Sad WVU fan

Lubbock, TX

#3 Dec 13, 2010
It is the o lines fault for alot of this years prob. we need Tricket back or a real o line coach, and head coach. not just a good ol boy.
Zac

York, NE

#4 Dec 13, 2010
Sad WVU fan wrote:
It is the o lines fault for alot of this years prob. we need Tricket back or a real o line coach, and head coach. not just a good ol boy.
I duly admiit; the O-Line is a little inconsistent in their pass blocking. They're only about 50:50 in their run blocking, which I agree is woeful. Some of that is coaching. Some of that is execution; we had a couple of new guys out there and the one we lost was especially hard to replace. Some of that is inexperience; see the 2nd part of the previous line. The coaching staff will have to do a better job of preparing more linemen, and getting the guys taking the most reps spelled.

Now, here's the funny part. "Woeful" as we're claiming the line to be, they still won 9 games, and the three that were lost were still winnable to the end. Not bad for poor line play.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shawne Alston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New era begins for WVU, fans (Sep '12) Sep '12 whatever 26
More from around the web