USC FOOTBALL: Stanford hits Trojans with school-record loss

About an hour after yet another blowout loss, USC coach Pete Carroll stood in the middle of the locker room and tried to survey the shambles that pass for his football program. Full Story
cmc

Montebello, CA

#1 Nov 14, 2009
The reason we went for two, I think, is that USC just tried to steal our top recruit who verbally committed. U$C richly deserves what they got after all the insults they have heaped our way in the past.
Melvin

United States

#2 Nov 15, 2009
Folks, this is an end of an era. The gap has closed for USC and USC folks must face the fact that this is rebuilding and last years team is a distant memory. I am not sure they can beat UCLA.
Lucifer

Oxnard, CA

#3 Nov 15, 2009
Another loser school for the athletically dominant, must not have the brains for planning ahead. Sounds like some high-school football game, and they deserve every point scored against them. How about putting these "athletes" to good use using their pea-brains? DIE USC!!!!
UCLA ROB

United States

#4 Nov 15, 2009
I remember Carroll killing teams and still passing the ball in the last 3 minutes of the game and just pileIng on the points, so Carroll shouldn't be surprised when Stanford went for two, I would have done the exact same thing.

Yes Pete, payback is a bytch, don't expect mercy from anyone, unfortunately you will probanly leave soon for the NFL this time and many coaches will not get the opportunity to humiliate you,and knock off your white horse like Oregon and Stanford did,

Expect another beat in two weeks Petey boy..
IE Sports Fan

Ontario, CA

#6 Nov 15, 2009
SUC... couldn't be more appropriate! I'm sooooo glad the choosen ones (and their obnoxious fans) have to eat humble pie this year!

The PAC-10 appears to be getting stronger throughout, let's hope that "White Horse" gets put to pasture... time for other programs to get thier proper respect/attention!

BTW... I'm not a huge UCLA and/or PAC 10 follower, just glad to see these self-imposed elitists fall from grace!
Robert

San Diego, CA

#7 Nov 15, 2009
I am a devoted USC alum but when are voters going to realize that we are not a top 25 team. This year we have been rated on pure reputation. We are not very good in any aspect of the game.
3MTA3U

Whittier, CA

#8 Nov 15, 2009
Good point Robert. I'm a fan of college football. USC and Notre Dame (now that's an entirely different story!). Pete Carroll's program at USC has set the standard for the PAC-10 and now they have finally caught up (7 years later). Seriously, how many programs only dream of accomplishing what Carroll did at USC? It's laughable to hear negative comments about USC football. Beating USC garners immediate attention for the winner this year. Watch what impact Carroll's former understudy has at Tennessee and the SEC. I really hope Stanford wins out and ends up at the Rose Bowl against Ohio State. Regardless, any PAC-10 will have a chance to flex their muscle and dominate against this non-conference program.
Juan Garcia

Tarzana, CA

#9 Nov 15, 2009
RealDemocrat wrote:
Matt Barkley has to be the worst QB SC has had in the last 40 years. But he's Pete's boy!!!!
I myself am questioning Pete on this one! How long do we stick with Matt? It isn't just the QB, the defense has left the building!
It may be over for this year but do not fool yourself! USC will be back!!
Juan Garcia

Tarzana, CA

#10 Nov 15, 2009
Fight On!
Around Towne

Diamond Bar, CA

#11 Nov 15, 2009
The pundits showing the USC lowlights of this game seemed so shocked when Stanford attempted a two point conversion, Consider it revenge for every school that USC has played and stood there when the game was well in hand watching USC leave there starters in to run up the score and also impress heisman voters, Hey Pete how did you like tasting your own medicine for once?.
3MTA3U

Whittier, CA

#12 Nov 15, 2009
Juan Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
I myself am questioning Pete on this one! How long do we stick with Matt? It isn't just the QB, the defense has left the building!
It may be over for this year but do not fool yourself! USC will be back!!
How long do you stick with Matt? Matt Barkley is a true freshman under fire. Carroll will stick with him and we will watch him become a premier college quarterback. Jimmy Clausen had the same issue at Notre Dame his freshman year. Without Clausen Notre Dame is a 2 win team this year (Sorry Charlie). Clausen is built for the pros. He'll will leave Notre Dame and enter the draft after this season. Barkley will leave early and should be a first round NFL pick too. Barkley sits under center, he's big, smart, has an arm and a former NFL QB coach at his side. At this pace USC will struggle next year and win close games. Everyone should look out. Pay close attention to their depth chart and you will understand what I mean.
JamDanny

Walnut Creek, CA

#13 Nov 15, 2009
Scoring a 2-point conversion is more difficult than scoring a 1-point conversion; if I'm wrong, then why doesn't every team attempt only 2-point conversions throughout every game? Stanford had no scoring competition in the fourth quarter, evidenced by their own 27 unanswered points, so they created their own competition by attempting the 2-point (versus the 1-point conversion). It seems ironic and funny to me that players/coaches of one of the roughest games in existence can simultaneously suffer hurt feelings from looking at a wide margin on a scoreboard.
Total Decline

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Nov 15, 2009
The only really new thing this year is Steve Sarkisian and the assistants who left with him. Maybe he was the power behind the throne? Or somebody or some three assistants who left with him were?
Juan Garcia

United States

#15 Nov 18, 2009
3MTA3U wrote:
<quoted text>
How long do you stick with Matt? Matt Barkley is a true freshman under fire. Carroll will stick with him and we will watch him become a premier college quarterback. Jimmy Clausen had the same issue at Notre Dame his freshman year. Without Clausen Notre Dame is a 2 win team this year (Sorry Charlie). Clausen is built for the pros. He'll will leave Notre Dame and enter the draft after this season. Barkley will leave early and should be a first round NFL pick too. Barkley sits under center, he's big, smart, has an arm and a former NFL QB coach at his side. At this pace USC will struggle next year and win close games. Everyone should look out. Pay close attention to their depth chart and you will understand what I mean.
I am looking forward to it!
Fight On!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Sherman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kiffin brings longer vision to a different USC (Oct '10) Oct '10 Pete_Carroll 4
Trojans Look To Bounce Back, Face No. 16 Stanford (Oct '10) Oct '10 Pete_Carroll 8
USC football notebook: Carroll admits misreadin... (Nov '09) Dec '09 Vicki 30
No. 25 Stanford stuns USC at Coliseum again, fl... (Nov '09) Nov '09 tony z 1
Harbaugh angers USC by going for two (Nov '09) Nov '09 The Saint 3
More from around the web