Lawyer: Trooper Exam Unfair

Lawyer: Trooper Exam Unfair

There are 29 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 29, 2008, titled Lawyer: Trooper Exam Unfair. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Scot X. Esdaile, president of the Connecticut State Conference of NAACP Branches, Connecticut State Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ed B

Broad Brook, CT

#3 Feb 29, 2008
Are you kidding me? In an age where the public and press are calling for more qualified professional troopers, Joe Davis wants to go to the low scores to hire? Makes one wonder how he attained his rank, what his test scores were, and was he the most qualified? Likely not. The State Police should not have to make exceptions or lower standards for the failure of the individual to score well, or to have applied themselves in school. It's a selection process, and the qualified succeed and the non-qualified do not. Survival of the fittest in the real world of competition. Could Mr. Davis be seeking another promotion for himself that he feels that he deserves? STAND firm Commissioner Danaher, hold your ground and don't lower the standards of the State Police Department.
Jerry

United States

#4 Feb 29, 2008
The profession requires and demands the most intelligent people that the agency can recruit.
Shoreliner

Guilford, CT

#5 Feb 29, 2008
For the article:

'He said that in the last pool of candidates, 15 percent were black, but only 4 percent scored 85 or higher.'

It seems like Mr. Danaher is attracting a proportion of minority candidates which is commenserate with the proportion of the total population.

Hmmm..selectively lower the requirements to allow the CSP to look more like overall society. Doesn't that discriminate against someone?

I thought that America (including Connecticut) was the land of opportunity not the land of guaranteed results.

Since taxpayers fund the CSP, don't we have the right to have the best qualified candidates to protect us.

When was the last time Yale admitted a student, who scored 1000 combined on the SAT, versus the norm of 1300+?
prepare for your future

Wethersfield, CT

#7 Feb 29, 2008
isnt a test a test? maybe there should be some pre test training programs in our school systems to prep all kids for these important jobs
Nino Brown

Madison, CT

#8 Feb 29, 2008
So ... let me understand this ..... you want to DUMB DOWN the State Police because minorities cant score high enough ????.... Boo-Hoo-Hoo- STUDY HARDER ... race should not even BE a factor , only the most qualified should be made troopers regardless of what color they are .... this is just plain STUPID
Life Is Not Fair

United States

#9 Feb 29, 2008
I want Troopers who can Read & Write & THINK! They want to hire people who can't even make Change!!! Opps! That is Jodi Rell.
Lily

AOL

#10 Feb 29, 2008
Now am I to understand that they want want the State to hire troopers by their skin color rather that whether or not they are the best candidates?- Shame on you Commissioner Danaher if you even consider pandering to this group! The reasons you have problems now is that your predecessors were afraid to stand up for what was right - try looking at the history of some of the people in the state police who are complaining about all the racism--maybe you would find some interesting facts that the community seems to know even if you don't. Great-idea ..dumb down the state police -after all social promotions are soooooo effective in our school system.
Yeah Right

Vernon Rockville, CT

#11 Feb 29, 2008
This is ridiculous. The people were hiring now are hard enough to keep out of trouble. Imagine if we lowered the standards? Theres a reason the hiring standards are so high. The test doesnt see skin color. There arent any questions on there that only white people know the answer to. You either make the grade or you dont. If you want to get hired, you have to do better than everyone else. I see no reason that the State Police should lower the bar just so a certain race can get hired. That doesnt solve the problem. By lowering the standard, you favor minority races. The idea is supposed to be equality, not giving minorities an advantage just because theyre not willing to study and pass the test.
Concerned

Montgomery, AL

#12 Feb 29, 2008
You have got to be kidding me. What ever happened to right person for the job. The saying is not right color for the job. If minorities have a hard time passing the test, then there are books out there to help. Why should we as a community lower our standards. I wnat the most qualified person on the job protecting me not the most black. Hartford tried doing that a few years ago and only hired within Hartford, what did it bring?? Fedreal Indictments. Can you say Camacho?
Myra

Glastonbury, CT

#13 Feb 29, 2008
If I were a "minority" I would be humiliated and ashamed that there are people out there fighting to LOWER standards to support my employment opportunities. I would think they would be out there trying to ecourage people to stay in school, work harder and earn the right obtain jobs and advance in their careers - this is really shameful.
BravoSix

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#14 Feb 29, 2008
Yeah...Lets lower our standards on who can be a trooper!? This is so stupid, as long as everyone has to meet the same score (black,white,green,brown) whats the difference. all this sounds like grandstanding, get over it!
a3digitiq

Windham, ME

#15 Feb 29, 2008
Following the same stupid argument, would the "lawyer" push to have the passing grade for the Bar Exam lowered to allow more minority lawyers?
vmax988

United States

#16 Feb 29, 2008
Mr Davis' remarks have to be pretty insulting if your a minority.
Bob

Boston, MA

#17 Feb 29, 2008
I hope he isn't saying that minorities are not as smart as non-minorities....is he?

How insulting!

How about we lower the medical school requirements for minorities too........
SomeGuy

Manchester, CT

#18 Feb 29, 2008
I'm sorry, but where or how is this racism? The only point made in the article is:

"the requirement that applicants to the department score at least 85 on the test to advance to the next phase of the multistep hiring process is discriminatory."

So... Are the questions things that only whites can answer correctly? Or are they just saying minorities aren't smart enough to score at least an 85 and that's discriminatory. I honestly hope there's more to the lawsuit than this issue and it would have been nice if the article covered those points. If not, I really don't see where the problem is.

Since: Feb 07

Connecticut

#19 Feb 29, 2008
Must not be enough easy questions. Let's lower the standards, yet again, for the minorities since they are under educated to begin with since the standards are too high in the high schools. Booo hooo...I'm crying.
William Howard Taft

West Hartford, CT

#20 Feb 29, 2008
I do agree with Esdaile. The Trooper Exam is unfair towards dumb people. I love catering to dumb people. I want an underqualified moron carrying a weapon on our state highways. Give me a break.

Since: Feb 07

Connecticut

#21 Feb 29, 2008
I am so angered by this article. If I still understand how grade scores are explained, isn't a 65 on a test below average? Sure, it is passing, but "below average". The black and latino minority wants to allow below average people to possibly become a state trooper? Wonderful.
HUH

United States

#22 Feb 29, 2008
They Be Mad!
dodge city

AOL

#23 Mar 1, 2008
Ed B wrote:
Are you kidding me? In an age where the public and press are calling for more qualified professional troopers, Joe Davis wants to go to the low scores to hire? Makes one wonder how he attained his rank, what his test scores were, and was he the most qualified? Likely not. The State Police should not have to make exceptions or lower standards for the failure of the individual to score well, or to have applied themselves in school. It's a selection process, and the qualified succeed and the non-qualified do not. Survival of the fittest in the real world of competition. Could Mr. Davis be seeking another promotion for himself that he feels that he deserves? STAND firm Commissioner Danaher, hold your ground and don't lower the standards of the State Police Department.
yo dude, no one has lower any standard. the passing grades are from 70 to 100, and the 70 test score hasn't changed in years.
every one who has passed the test with a 70 or better should be allowed to pass or fail many other tests to made the cut.many will fail and many will pass. even those who scored the highest is subject to failured and in fact many do.
being the smartest doesn't make a person a better cop. and many who score 70 and better offered do make better cops. being a good cop is all about knowing how to use common use, if one does have any to use.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alamogordo police logs (Apr '09) Apr '09 _PINKFLOYD_ 2
News Lawyer: Trooper Exam Unfair (Feb '08) Mar '08 Lexington 123
News OU's Williams Has Surgery; Will Be Lost For The... (Sep '07) Sep '07 abOUt clOUt 1
News Oklahoma DE Davis eager to step forward (Sep '07) Sep '07 abOUt clOUt 1
More from around the web