Experts: Residency law unenforceable

Experts: Residency law unenforceable

There are 61 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Jul 31, 2008, titled Experts: Residency law unenforceable. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

The California Constitution allows Vallejo's city manager to ignore a negotiated contract and city charter provisions determining his city of residency, Vallejo's legal department said Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HUH

Azusa, CA

#1 Jul 31, 2008
There! That solves that "stink!!"

Wonder what's next? Mr. Tanner get his haircut from Los Angeles therefore...?? I really wonder what they'll think of next.....
JudgeJudy

San Rafael, CA

#2 Jul 31, 2008
You guys,TH, shot yourself in the foot. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.
I love Vallejo

Vallejo, CA

#3 Jul 31, 2008
Now lets see if the Times Horrid will go after Firemen who live outside of the 30 mile radius and print an article informing us about it! But no, this will not happen to a newspaper controlled by the PSUs.

Henke and Riley will come up with some other lame brain idea to go after Tanner, the one guy in this town with the guts to finally do something to get this city back on its feet.

More ill will against our Firemen have been established by Henke and Riley and the sooner they get voted out by the union members the better the relationship will be between our Firemen and the community they serve. I feel sorry for the hard working Police Department because they get lumped together with the Fire Department who really are the culprits in the mess we are in. This is due primarily by the actions of Kurt Henke and Jon Riley!!
tramky

Vacaville, CA

#4 Jul 31, 2008
I have a better idea: change the California Constitution so that such conditions of public employment CAN be enforced. Why are we thinking it has to be the other way around.

Put this on the ballot as a public initiative! Change the Constitution. Good grief, get a grip people!

Of course, then it would be argued that it violates the U.S. Constitution.
tramky

Vacaville, CA

#5 Jul 31, 2008
Next we'll be outsourcing city jobs to Singapore and Shanghai! Probably would be cheaper. I think we should be looking into it.
HUH

Azusa, CA

#6 Jul 31, 2008
tramky wrote:
Next we'll be outsourcing city jobs to Singapore and Shanghai! Probably would be cheaper. I think we should be looking into it.
I'm busily trying to figure out a link between Mr. Tanner's residence requirement that was being questioned and your comment above.

Hmmmmmmm.....Nope...no connection at all...nope..nothing!

STICK TO THE TOPIC at hand, PLEASE.
Shay58

Vacaville, CA

#7 Jul 31, 2008
It's so obvious the TH was fed only one side of the original Tanner article and the reporter and editors didn't bother to dig a bit and get the whole story. Today's article should have been combined with the original Tanner article to give us a more balanced view. What was the rush to claim that Tanner was in violation of the residency law? Step up TH and start serving the community fair and balanced coverage in respect to our city government and our current financial crisis.
formerly from Vallejo

United States

#8 Jul 31, 2008
The state also has laws against working in excess of 8 hours. Contracts provide shifts of 10 and 12 hours for police and 24 hours for firefighters. A negotiated contract is not bound by the state laws. So, Tanners contract could be enforced. I find it strange that the city manager who is being paid slightly less than the president would already be looking at ways to violate his contract. Perhaps Vallejo could pay him less and we could see how he reacts to that violation. Again a show of arrogant behavior on Tanners part. Get rid of this snake.
FVH

Union City, CA

#9 Jul 31, 2008
One thing to consider here: While it may be a "nice" idea to have city employees live in the city where they work, what about cities that have ridiculously expensive housing prices? Obviously, it's not too expensive to buy a house in Vallejo (especially in this housing market!) but what about if we're talking about Tiburon or Beverly Hills? I doubt the average city worker, cop or fireman - even a $400k per year city manager - would be able to afford to live next door to Britney Spears... A silly example, but there's a reason why the state law is there!
CasualObserver

Berkeley, CA

#10 Jul 31, 2008
This little boo boo was missed because Vallejo has a bunch of incompetent people making a lot of money on that incompetence working for it.

The best that money can buy!

Hardly.

C'mon Vallejo raise the bar out of the gutter before you hire anyone else.
Vallejo Native

Arcata, CA

#11 Jul 31, 2008
City Manager does not live here...Police Chief does not live here...Old Fire Chief didn't live here... No wonder this city has gone to Sh!+
Good Old Boy

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2008
It's odd that the people who set policy are residents, and most of the employees live out of town. How can they possibly really care about a community if they are not directly affected by it's quality of life?
Step Your Game UP

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Jul 31, 2008
Another installment of the Times Herald "Propaganda Puppet" report.
Simplicity

Fremont, CA

#14 Jul 31, 2008
EVERY EMPLOYEE IS AFFECTED BY THE DECISIONS MADE BY THE CITY COUNCIL, CITY MANAGER AND OTHER CITY LEADERS NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE! The city of Vallejo is one of the three largest employers in this city. Everyone's quality of life is affected by their employment. If the goose is sick it doesn't lay any golden eggs.

I don't care where any of these people live as long as they are doing the jobs that they are contracted to do and bring some level of integrity to their service.

Part of Mr. Tanner's job is to keep the public informed. The local paper, no matter ones opinion of the quality, is an essential medium for this task. Mr. Tanner's policy of "no comment to the TH until he receives and apology" is juvenile and does not serve him employers best interests.
Shay58

Vacaville, CA

#15 Jul 31, 2008
Simplicity wrote:
EVERY EMPLOYEE IS AFFECTED BY THE DECISIONS MADE BY THE CITY COUNCIL, CITY MANAGER AND OTHER CITY LEADERS NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE! The city of Vallejo is one of the three largest employers in this city. Everyone's quality of life is affected by their employment. If the goose is sick it doesn't lay any golden eggs.
I don't care where any of these people live as long as they are doing the jobs that they are contracted to do and bring some level of integrity to their service.
Part of Mr. Tanner's job is to keep the public informed. The local paper, no matter ones opinion of the quality, is an essential medium for this task. Mr. Tanner's policy of "no comment to the TH until he receives and apology" is juvenile and does not serve him employers best interests.
Joe Tanner's job is to work on behalf of Vallejo and its residents. He is not required to deal with this paper which has clearly shown a bias against him. Re-read the lead of today's article: "The California Constitution allows Vallejo's city manager to ignore a negotiated contract and city charter provisions determining his city of residency." To use the term "ignore" (as if the reporter knows what Tanner is thinking) is an editorial judgement and not a sign of fair reporting by the TH.
slider on the black

Berkeley, CA

#16 Jul 31, 2008
Times Horrid. That about sums it up. Thanks "I love Vallejo".

Yeah, this paper does seems to slant its coverage to the extreme. For better information on Vallejo look at the Chronicle. News can only be found sporadically, but at least its well written and not unabashedly biased like the Times Horrid.
Lovin Vallejo

Oakland, CA

#17 Jul 31, 2008
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! Good point! The City Manager should live in Vallejo. Tanner said he'd move to Vallejo and he broke his word--it's as simple as that. And now he is refusing to communicate to the public through the paper because of some former article? We deserve a city manager who is open and honest.
JudgeJudy

San Rafael, CA

#18 Jul 31, 2008
The public safety personnel would not want live in Marin b/c then they would not have so much control. The PSU could not control the newspaper. In this county the people have the money not the public safety, so they control the media.

The PSU took advantage of the low-income and working-class people.
We've been exploited.
Vallejoan

Vallejo, CA

#19 Jul 31, 2008
DEAR TIMES HERALD:
WHY WAS IT THAT THESE QUESTIONS WERE NOT ANSWERED IN YOUR FIRST ARTICLE. WAS IT THAT THE WORK WAS DONE AND YOU FOLKS DOWN AT THE TH WANTED TO TRY AND GIVE THIS TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT "LEGS" AS THEY SAY IN THE MEDIA BUSINESS?
ME THINKS THAT WAS YOUR MOTIVE ALL ALONG.
JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HENKE AND RILEY PULLING THE STRINGS.
WHILE I AM ON THE SUBJECT, WHERE DO YOU GUYS LIVE?
RON RHEA LIVES IN VALLEJO
TED VOLLMER LIVES IN BENICIA
JACK JFK BUNDGART LIVES IN NAPA.
MARY LEAHEY LIVES IN MARIN.
ALL EDITORS AT THE TH.
Simplicity

Fremont, CA

#20 Jul 31, 2008
Shay58 wrote:
<quoted text>Joe Tanner's job is to work on behalf of Vallejo and its residents. He is not required to deal with this paper which has clearly shown a bias against him. Re-read the lead of today's article: "The California Constitution allows Vallejo's city manager to ignore a negotiated contract and city charter provisions determining his city of residency." To use the term "ignore" (as if the reporter knows what Tanner is thinking) is an editorial judgement and not a sign of fair reporting by the TH.
I completely agree that the TH is a low quality "rag." It's low distribution numbers reflect the general publics' opinion as well. However; it is incumbent upon the consumer to insist on a quality product. Joe Tanner is not only a consumer he is the top official in this city. It is his obligation to us to insist that the TH presents ACCURATE information and responsible JOURNALISM in its' news section and leave the opinions for the opinions page. Not speaking is not a valid option to improve the communication and information flow when you are the city manager.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Thompson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Orleans Has Had Some Great Final Fours (Mar '12) Mar '12 laserboxguy 1
News Lacking a census director, Locke hires 3 expert... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Cathleen Savage 1
News Rodriguez: 'A long 8 months' - Coach looks ahea... (Nov '08) Nov '08 rpm 1
News U-M's last shot at glory comes vs. OSU (Nov '08) Nov '08 The Old-N-Stangy 3
News No. 9 Wisconsin chokes in second half, falls to... (Oct '08) Oct '08 patrick 1
News Ole Miss Fires Orgeron After 4 Years (Nov '07) Nov '07 DrewC 4
News CFB: Coordinators carousel on steady spin (Jun '07) Jun '07 tin23 1
More from around the web