BuckeyeXtra - Texas coach believes in Pryor

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Coaches Mack Brown of Texas and Jim Tressel of Ohio State have stayed in touch since their spring trip to visit troops in the Middle East.
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Richard

Fostoria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

10

7

3

I would guess Vince Young had a real QB coach, not some VIDEO COORDINATOR from YSU who is part of JT's FRIENDS AND FAMILY COACHING STAFF. As Earle Bruce has said, if I had the best race horse, I'd hire the best trainer. JT hires an inexperience YSU buddy...And we wonder why TP is struggling. Throw in the vanilla play calling and the 9 years and running terrible line play coached by Jim Bollman, and you have a recipe for exactly what we are seeing out of the OSU offense....

Since: Oct 09

Cincinnati area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

It's nice to know Coach Brown has faith in Mr. Pryor. Many of us see the potential, too...yet are having trouble balancing that potential with fumbles, interceptions, near-interceptions, missed reads, mechanics, etc. even after 20 games under his belt.

However, in all fairness to Mr. Pryor, the offensive line and the coach in charge of that offensive line have let him and the rest of the team down on all too many occasions (even when the O-line was healthy!)...which has become a perennial problem at Ohio State.

I look forward to the day when Buckeye fans can fully appreciate the realized potential of Mr. Pryor...behind an offensive line that FINALLY delivers on THEIR potential...assuming that day ever arrives! As Coach Brown would gladly admit, it took more than the potential possessed by Vince Young to win a National Championship. ALOT of people on this team and coaching staff (not just Mr. Pryor) need to turn "the corner"!
ima idiott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 6, 2009
 
Dear Mr. Gable: Put your money where your mouth is! And for you young folks I am referring to Judy Garland singing to the photograph of Clark Gable. Viva la France
tsbben

Edison, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Charles David Spohn wrote:
It's nice to know Coach Brown has faith in Mr. Pryor. Many of us see the potential, too...yet are having trouble balancing that potential with fumbles, interceptions, near-interceptions, missed reads, mechanics, etc. even after 20 games under his belt.
However, in all fairness to Mr. Pryor, the offensive line and the coach in charge of that offensive line have let him and the rest of the team down on all too many occasions (even when the O-line was healthy!)...which has become a perennial problem at Ohio State.
I look forward to the day when Buckeye fans can fully appreciate the realized potential of Mr. Pryor...behind an offensive line that FINALLY delivers on THEIR potential...assuming that day ever arrives! As Coach Brown would gladly admit, it took more than the potential possessed by Vince Young to win a National Championship. ALOT of people on this team and coaching staff (not just Mr. Pryor) need to turn "the corner"!
Thank you for being able to see that it is not all Pryors faught. He is only one of 11 players and it takes all fo them to make this thing work plus coaches.
harris

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Only if we can recruit the kind of offensive lineman who is athletic and not just big...what would have to happen for us to recruit tight ends with quick feet and turn them into tackles...and small but quick tackles into guards? Woody used to recruit fullbacks and turn them into just about everything.
OSU - No Offense As Usual

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Nothing more to add to the choir of folks that are all saying the same thing - OSU's offense, with the exception of a couple slightly above average years (I guess you might expect slightly above average with a Heisman winning QB, a receiver that was faster than anyone in Pro football, and a host of other above average talent) has consistently been OSU's achilles heel for years, and there's nothing in the works that gives any reason to believe that will change this year, next year, or the year after.

With the exception of the folks who think OSU's already done something great by winning the Big 10 - a league that's usually about 0 and 4 or 1 and 5 in post season bowl games...it's a shame to think of what they could have accomplished with a balanced team instead of an excellent defense and an embarrasing offense and then watch the coaching staff verbally grope for the next excuse.

When you see OSU's offensive players screaming at each other during so many games and blaming each other like they did against Penn State last year, when some of their offensive players leave OSU early with complaints about how they're sick of losing to teams that should be their equal, you know something smells, and it's not the players, not when OSU's recruiting classes are at or near the top of the talent recruiting list year after year.

Too bad for Pryor; I think coach Brown has said the most supportive thing he can contribute for a situation that is going to show marginal progress at best. At least with Pryor, OSU's staff has has another excuse, they can use his ability to scramble to overcome an offensive line that consistently gives him only 2 or 3 seconds to throw before he has to start running. There isn't a QB in college football today that would look good with OSU's offensive line.
Reese

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Jim Mc wrote:
Mack Brown is one of the classiest coaches in football. He was unknown to most of us before tOSU and Texas played each other in consecutive years. He has maintained contact in Central Ohio and occasionally joins the local sports radio stations.
As long as he doesn't try to recruit here, I'll continue to root for him, unless it hurts us of course.
I remember Coach Brown when he coached at NC.
Reese

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 6, 2009
 
Keep it in perspective, Pryor is only a Sophmore. He is going to make mistakes. The whole team is fairly young. Ohio St will not be poised to take a run at the NC game until his junior/senior season. However, I do agree that he would be better suited with a real QB coach.
Jeff

London, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Richard wrote:
I would guess Vince Young had a real QB coach, not some VIDEO COORDINATOR from YSU who is part of JT's FRIENDS AND FAMILY COACHING STAFF. As Earle Bruce has said, if I had the best race horse, I'd hire the best trainer. JT hires an inexperience YSU buddy...And we wonder why TP is struggling. Throw in the vanilla play calling and the 9 years and running terrible line play coached by Jim Bollman, and you have a recipe for exactly what we are seeing out of the OSU offense....
You hit this right on the head in every way. I've been saying the same thing. Tressel better get rid of that "QB coach" of his after the season. Why they cannot go after someone like a Walt Harris is ridiculous.
mustang44

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Mack Brown had an offensive plan for Vince Young; Jim Tressel has no offensive vision at all for Pryor. The offensive line is "offensive", and the plays are about as imaginative as what a first grader could draw up.
Sports Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 6, 2009
 
Right on, Jeff!
Spartanland

Jeannette, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 6, 2009
 
There is more than just Pryor going to home state to play this week. See how the media only gives 1/2 a story.......typical.
waynealum

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I dont know if anybody listend to the radio show about a month ago when Craig Krenzel was on and he said that Coach Tressel would tell him "Wait to throw the ball untill the reciever is wide open." As a former QB thats crazy im sorry when u throw certain routes u cant wait until your reciever is open its timing and when u wait thats when u stare your reciever down and balls get picked. I love Tress as a head coach he is a great teacher, but him calling the plays is horrible there is no kind of diversity to the offense and no one can convince me that our O-LINE players is that bad, i honestly think that its the scheme on the O-LINE. I understand Tress being Loyal to his caoching staff i respect that but at the same time he need to get some young exciting coachs. When u look at USC coaching staff they are exciting to watch and it rubs off to the players. Just my opinion. GO BUCKS!!!!
Buckeye31

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

2

OSU - No Offense As Usual wrote:
Nothing more to add to the choir of folks that are all saying the same thing - OSU's offense, with the exception of a couple slightly above average years (I guess you might expect slightly above average with a Heisman winning QB, a receiver that was faster than anyone in Pro football, and a host of other above average talent) has consistently been OSU's achilles heel for years, and there's nothing in the works that gives any reason to believe that will change this year, next year, or the year after.
With the exception of the folks who think OSU's already done something great by winning the Big 10 - a league that's usually about 0 and 4 or 1 and 5 in post season bowl games...it's a shame to think of what they could have accomplished with a balanced team instead of an excellent defense and an embarrasing offense and then watch the coaching staff verbally grope for the next excuse.
When you see OSU's offensive players screaming at each other during so many games and blaming each other like they did against Penn State last year, when some of their offensive players leave OSU early with complaints about how they're sick of losing to teams that should be their equal, you know something smells, and it's not the players, not when OSU's recruiting classes are at or near the top of the talent recruiting list year after year.
Too bad for Pryor; I think coach Brown has said the most supportive thing he can contribute for a situation that is going to show marginal progress at best. At least with Pryor, OSU's staff has has another excuse, they can use his ability to scramble to overcome an offensive line that consistently gives him only 2 or 3 seconds to throw before he has to start running. There isn't a QB in college football today that would look good with OSU's offensive line.
I actually count the seconds Pryor has to throw. It's usually in the 4 to 5 range, which is plenty enough to find a receiver, scramble or chuck it in the cheap seats.
As for scrambling being a crutch or whatever you said, Vince Young scrambled Texas all the way to a national title.
Go Lions

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 6, 2009
 
I see a potential trade in the works ? The downside would be, then what would you crying ,bellyaching OSU fans have to complain about then ? Go Lions
Buckeye31

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

5

4

3

Just curious how everyone knows it's the QB coach's fault? You really think you know anything going on behind the scenes? Heck, this QB coach could be the next Josh McDaniel, but you guys are killing him based on the inconsistent play of a highly talented athlete whose been very shaky at times. Could it be that the coach is freaking brilliant and Pryor is just a basket-case at times? Vince Young won a national title at Texas, then reacted with thoughts of suicide when the fans booed him at Tennessee. I guess that was all coaching, right?
Zach in Marysville

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

"I actually count the seconds Pryor has to throw. It's usually in the 4 to 5 range, which is plenty enough to find a receiver, scramble or chuck it in the cheap seats. As for scrambling being a crutch or whatever you said, Vince Young scrambled Texas all the way to a national title."

So, you didn't watch the Purdue game then I assume? Honestly, what games are you watching? I am sure there are a couple times a game he has your electronically timed 4-5 seconds, but they are few and far in between. Only with consistent protection can he get rid of the happy feet/poor mechanics. He has to be able to know he can drop back and do his thing. That is not the case now, and hasn't been all year. 4-5 seconds? ppppfffft!
Buckeye31

Norcross, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Zach in Marysville wrote:
"I actually count the seconds Pryor has to throw. It's usually in the 4 to 5 range, which is plenty enough to find a receiver, scramble or chuck it in the cheap seats. As for scrambling being a crutch or whatever you said, Vince Young scrambled Texas all the way to a national title."
So, you didn't watch the Purdue game then I assume? Honestly, what games are you watching? I am sure there are a couple times a game he has your electronically timed 4-5 seconds, but they are few and far in between. Only with consistent protection can he get rid of the happy feet/poor mechanics. He has to be able to know he can drop back and do his thing. That is not the case now, and hasn't been all year. 4-5 seconds? ppppfffft!
Actually, I watched it live and counted, then went back and watched on tape and counted. He consistently had 4 to 5 seconds to throw. Were there times that he panicked and chucked it almost as soon as the ball was snapped because he read blitz? Absolutely. That happens at every level. Also, when Pryor scrambled in that game, he often did it before he really had to and nearly every time he stepped right into three defenders when he had plenty of room to run to either side.
Besides, show me a QB that sits and waits 4 to 5 seconds to throw on every down and you'll see lots of INTs and sacks on that stat sheet. Pryor has time to throw.
The question is, does the coaching staff have the patience to allow him to grow into a great QB. So far, the answer is yes. Fans, on the other hand, have zero patience.
Think back on Colt McCoy his freshman season when we whipped Texas in Texas. He did nothing.
XBUCKEYE2

Cambridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Richard wrote:
I would guess Vince Young had a real QB coach, not some VIDEO COORDINATOR from YSU who is part of JT's FRIENDS AND FAMILY COACHING STAFF. As Earle Bruce has said, if I had the best race horse, I'd hire the best trainer. JT hires an inexperience YSU buddy...And we wonder why TP is struggling. Throw in the vanilla play calling and the 9 years and running terrible line play coached by Jim Bollman, and you have a recipe for exactly what we are seeing out of the OSU offense....
You have summed this up perfectly. The ability is there for Pryor and if Tressel would swallow some pride, hire a QB coach and a new offensive cordinator to call the plays I think Mack Browns prediction could come true. Tressel tried what he calls opening up the offense last week but what is he going to do this week against a good team. If his play calling was more like Mack Browns then we would have a good chance of winning out but if he goes back to his "lets just try not to put the defense in a bad position" play calling than Im afraid its going to be another loss. At this point in the season what do you have to lose, go out there and give your offense every possible chance to win the game. if you lose, you lose, but dont lose because of poor play calling.
Al in Tampa

Jasper, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 6, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Unbelievable!
Thats great that Mack Brown has faith in Pryor. But what does that say about the coach of the Buckeyes that he needs the coach of another team to come to his aide.

JT, man up and fight your own battles. You are the coach and the play caller. You are responsible for the developement of TP. Instead of spending your time coming up with inane responses to obvious questions, and employing your coaching friends to cover your butt, why don't you find a quarterbacks coach and an O-line coach that can actually improve the offense.

I'll bet Mack Brown would have some ideas as Texas wins their bowl games!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••