BuckeyeXtra - OSU football: Coach, pl...

BuckeyeXtra - OSU football: Coach, players support Pryor

There are 128 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 21, 2009, titled BuckeyeXtra - OSU football: Coach, players support Pryor. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

As the crescendo of criticism rises around Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State players are rallying behind their struggling quarterback.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“The Buckeyes Win Again!”

Since: Sep 09

Martins Ferry, Ohio

#1 Oct 21, 2009
a couple of PROFESSIONAL qbs, brady (barf) and warner took it upon themselves to offer their owners to take a payCUT in order to get their TEAMS a better wide receiver.
i wonder if tressel (who CANNOT coach an offense -in my opinion) would be willing to do that in order to get a QUALITY offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach - you know- for the TEAM?!

GO BUCKS....
Vinny

United States

#2 Oct 21, 2009
And Steve Bellisari and Stanley Jackson had the support of most of the team and Cooper when they were struggling. And it didn't keep those teams from underachieving.

More recently, lets not forget that Jimmy Tressel chose to start Bellisari over McMullen and Krenzel (future NFL player). He also started Zwick over Smith (future Heisman winner and NFL player). He also chose to start Pryor over Boeckman (on a NFL roster as a QB, while Pryor will never make a NFL roster at the position). Seems to me that Tressel's evaluations aren't always correct with regards to the quarterback position. And I'm sure the team supported the designated leader, nonetheless.

If winning takes precedent over personal loyalty, having one's coaching acumen questioned, etc., then there's no reason to not give the back-up several series against Minnesota and New Mexico State. At the least, might help the prima donna realize he needs to work harder.
akeller

AOL

#3 Oct 21, 2009
How many games are we going to lose before Pryor gets better? One more and that's it for the big 10 so Tressel's got the ball in his hands not Pryor.I voted to keep Pryor in but could he be a better wide receiver?
ODaized

Shawnee, KS

#4 Oct 21, 2009
I do believe that Bauserman should get some playing time and put Pryor in at receiver at the same time. Pryor is the key for the buckeyes to becoming unstopable he just needs to grow into the quarterback position. Blow out the Caddy Shack Gophers!!
Vinny

United States

#5 Oct 21, 2009
Pryor only has eligibility for 4 years, not 10. So, instead of seeing the team's potential realized, his teammates and the fans have to endure the underachieving all in the name of Pryor's getting to play quarterback for a couple more years until someone (the NFL) finally tells him "NO!".
ODaized wrote:
I do believe that Bauserman should get some playing time and put Pryor in at receiver at the same time. Pryor is the key for the buckeyes to becoming unstopable he just needs to grow into the quarterback position. Blow out the Caddy Shack Gophers!!
Buckeye Barrister

Whitehouse, OH

#6 Oct 21, 2009
Certain people are not cut out for rocket science. Quarterback is the rocket science position of the team what with the major decision-making and other quick-thinking details of the role.

Nothing against the young man but I think it's apparent that Terrelle has not been blessed with great mental attributes. I'm sure he can use his phenomenal physical abilities to their utmost advantage, however, perhaps as a wide receiver or tight end.

Also, I don't think Pryor is a leader and that role also is played out best at the qb position.

For Tressel to deny all this seems to me to be a form of, well, denial. Pryor has a great future as an athlete, but it sure as hell ain't at qb!!!!!!!

Since: Oct 09

Cincinnati area

#7 Oct 21, 2009
"He's going to get better; he really can't do much worse." (DeVier Posey)

DeVier...you're a fine young man and you're really becoming an excellent player, but I've got news for you.........Terrelle CAN do much worse and is moving in that direction. Of course, he's not getting ANY help from the offensive line in front of him nor the coaches in charge of that group or your quarterback...but your buddy TP CAN get worse.

What will it take for him, your teammates up front, and their coaches to start pulling their weight?
Billium1953

Loveland, OH

#8 Oct 21, 2009
I'm tired of hearing about how terrible Pryor is at QB. Let's change the subject - how bad must Bauserman be?
Sage

Westerville, OH

#9 Oct 21, 2009
what a bunch of maroons. almost 50% believes that OSU should replace Pryor at QB ... what a bunch of maroons ... at the end of the season, we're headed for a bowl game after a couple good wins they'll act like nothing happened ... they must listen to maroon bruce hooley on the radio ... running hot and cold ... what a bunch of maroons
Billium1953

Loveland, OH

#10 Oct 21, 2009
Vinny wrote:
And Steve Bellisari and Stanley Jackson had the support of most of the team and Cooper when they were struggling. And it didn't keep those teams from underachieving.
More recently, lets not forget that Jimmy Tressel chose to start Bellisari over McMullen and Krenzel (future NFL player). He also started Zwick over Smith (future Heisman winner and NFL player). He also chose to start Pryor over Boeckman (on a NFL roster as a QB, while Pryor will never make a NFL roster at the position). Seems to me that Tressel's evaluations aren't always correct with regards to the quarterback position. And I'm sure the team supported the designated leader, nonetheless.
If winning takes precedent over personal loyalty, having one's coaching acumen questioned, etc., then there's no reason to not give the back-up several series against Minnesota and New Mexico State. At the least, might help the prima donna realize he needs to work harder.
I agree completely. This current meltdown started with the never understood and indefensible removal of the top QB in the Big Ten (Boeckman) for a green and unproven freshman. The sad thing is Pryor came to OSU so he wouldn't play as a freshman. If he had a chance to succeed as QB the coaching idiots ruined it.
TressOfensiveWiz

Huntsville, OH

#11 Oct 21, 2009
There is no way benching Pryor is the answer. On most teams with a competent offensive gamee plan and offensive line it may be, but with Ohio State's line and the quality of coaching of that line any less mobile QB wouldn't stand a chance back there
Russ

United States

#12 Oct 21, 2009
Pryor should have benched himself, this guy is obviously living in a Highschool fantasy world still. I love the team comparing him to Smith and Young, both were way better than Pryor will ever be. The whole team just doesn't get it!! When something doesn't work you must change it, either let Pryor run like crazy or get him out. This team will lose again this year and if Pryor is better next year he will just go to the draft. How about we recruit a better QB for next year? Tress I know its hard to hear your coaching style is wrong, but it has to change. Who am I?? I'm a fan who buys tickets, but not anymore. I'd rather watch this ship sink from home.
OSU Overseas

Manila, Philippines

#13 Oct 21, 2009
Tressel Sucks.
TP is just an ordinary QB. As per Tressel logic, it may take TP 5 years to develop as a good QB. Why Michigan, ND, USC and many other schools are able to find a freshman functioning QB and Tressel can’t make a sophomore QB function. OSU deserves a much up to date coach.
Ed K

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 Oct 21, 2009
A great player in a year or two? That's wishful thinking. So, recruit the #1 player in the country and stick with him his Fr. and Soph. year hoping that he will develop and become a great player his Jr. or Sr. year. Accept two or three years of mediocrity and hope for the best? And this is the program that Tressel is selling to the players? Let me know how that works out. Anyone hear the phrase, "The beatings will continue until morale improves".
harris

Memphis, TN

#15 Oct 21, 2009
we need to look at a qb coach and/or offensive coordinator from the Big 12 or SEC...just not some with just the Youngstown State connection---it's become incestuous!!!...and obviously our offensive line needs to lose some weight, quicken up, get mean or hit the road.
Jim

Nassau, Bahamas

#16 Oct 21, 2009
Tressel needs to come to the reality that he is not an offensive genius and Gee needs to push him to hire an offensive coordinator. Pryor doesn't have a chance to get better with a coach with a limited offensive knowledge and an offensive line that cannot block. I hope Jim Cordle stays out of the lineup for the rest of the year and the young guys get some real coaching. Cordle has been move up and down the line for 4 years and he still hasn't figured out how to block someone.
AL IN DEFIANCE

Toledo, OH

#17 Oct 21, 2009
He is not Vince Young; he is not Steve Young. Heck, he's not even Neil Young.
Real Fan

Findlay, OH

#18 Oct 21, 2009
Sad that everybody agrees we only have one QB on the team and he isn't that good. He get better with time they say. Well, if he isn't that good and will get better with time...why didn't Boeckman get to finish last season while TP learned in practice? I honestly think this whole TP situation smells bad for Tressel...who I have always liked and supported until he trashed Boeckman last year for this young phenom that really isn't all that good...yet they tell me. Well if he isn't that good yet, why is he playing.
Buckeye Bill

Commercial Point, OH

#19 Oct 21, 2009
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD !! Is this where we've gone? PC ? Oh, We couldn't bench poor Terrell....It might offend him.....or send a shockwave through the whole team...WHAT??????? This is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard from a sports team and if this is what the coaching staff is selling, I'm not buying.
This is obviously Tressels company line.
WHERE THE HELL IS GENE SMITH???
Reese

Atlanta, GA

#20 Oct 21, 2009
I still think they should split time between Bauserman and Pryor. Pryor needs a chance to see the field from the sidelines once in a while to get a feel of what the opposing defense is doing....He should be standing right next to Tressel discussing the series and advising what he would have done in a particular situation. Tressel should be coaching him from that point...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Bauserman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A mixed legacy for Pryor, for sure | BuckeyeXtra (Jun '11) Sep '13 Buckeye-Bashing B... 110
News Toledo eyes another big upset (Sep '11) Aug '12 PEE PEE PETE 105
News Ohio State's Luke Fickell Should Learn More in ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 fightfan 10
News Michigan Football: 5 Reasons Wolverines Will Fi... (Oct '11) Dec '11 Matt from Columbus 148
News Postgame thoughts (Nov '11) Nov '11 Bville Rob 1
News Buckeyes are in a rush to honor former Ohio Sta... (Oct '11) Oct '11 jocephus 1
News Buckeye Rewind: Buckeyes will build on this (Oct '11) Oct '11 Buckeye-Bashing B... 7
More from around the web