BuckeyeXtra - Ohio State football: Tr...

BuckeyeXtra - Ohio State football: Tressel sells players on urg...

There are 127 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 28, 2009, titled BuckeyeXtra - Ohio State football: Tressel sells players on urg.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Nobody in their right mind could imagine Ohio State losing this week. But the Buckeyes could lose an opportunity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
cowboy

Sarasota, FL

#1 Oct 28, 2009
give the ball to martin 30 times
Reese

Atlanta, GA

#2 Oct 28, 2009
Too much concentration on points scored. Bottom line is the W, not style points. If a team wins all their games 3-0, through out the year, they are still undefeated....Boring to watch but...undefeated.
Tressels Greatness

Carrollton, OH

#3 Oct 28, 2009
"There is no scripted time for backups to come in, like in the opener against Navy, when Tressel planned for quarterback Joe Bauserman to direct the third series."

"No, this is game nine. We've got to progress," Tressel said. "Now that doesn't mean Joe won't play but I'm not sitting here today saying,'You know what, I think we'll put this guy in or that guy in.' No, we're going out all barrels blazing and do what the situation calls for."

He just realized they need to progress? I guess they didn't need to the week before USC. Yes coach, the real season started weeks ago. Look out! T-ball's comming with all barrels blazing!Beware Aggies, this loose-cannon's comming to molest you.
Tressels Greatness

Carrollton, OH

#4 Oct 28, 2009
Reese wrote:
Too much concentration on points scored. Bottom line is the W, not style points. If a team wins all their games 3-0, through out the year, they are still undefeated....Boring to watch but...undefeated.
Ohio State will probably interview you in 2012.
Unrepentant Cynic

Powell, OH

#5 Oct 28, 2009
Barrels blazing?
Someone needs to tell Tressel or maybe he needs to be shown,
pictures but...
squirt guns, pop-guns and nerf-dart guns
don't exactly have barrels which blaze.

Does this guy actually watch his team films?
Doug

Doylestown, PA

#6 Oct 28, 2009
The mere thought of this team looking past ANYONE is laughable.
OSUgrad

AOL

#7 Oct 28, 2009
Should have tried to progress the week before heading to West Lafayette, Indiana. This staff does not do enough "self-scouting," as they say in the coaching business. That is, the defensive coaches scout the offense and tell the offensive coaches, "You are predictable here and here and here. This is what Purdue will try to do to you, so change this or that or this. Try this." But alas, water under the Lane Avenue Bridge, I suppose.
gogeo

Kansas City, MO

#8 Oct 28, 2009
OSUgrad wrote:
Should have tried to progress the week before heading to West Lafayette, Indiana. This staff does not do enough "self-scouting," as they say in the coaching business. That is, the defensive coaches scout the offense and tell the offensive coaches, "You are predictable here and here and here. This is what Purdue will try to do to you, so change this or that or this. Try this." But alas, water under the Lane Avenue Bridge, I suppose.
Could more accurately have defensive coaches say "You are predictable. And, every team we play knows it."
UpNorthBuckeye

Toledo, OH

#9 Oct 28, 2009
rather than lose Berry's red shirt (although if it happens, it happens) I'd love to see K.C. Christian and Gantz get more carries.

This will be a tough game to coach. How hard do you go? Who gets to play?

But certainly is a good opportunity to practice some things - throwing to the tight ends, for example....

but yeah... probably you can mark this as a 'w' right now.
claw71

United States

#10 Oct 28, 2009
Improvement comes from realizing that Minnesota and New Mexico State are mere scrimmages. You can't really win. If you hang 75 points on New Mexico State people will think you were tryign to show off. Settle for a few field goals and let drives stall in Aggie territory and critics will think you're overrated.

You go in, play hard and analyze the game for mistakes. Then you gear up for a tough run in November.
Gator Gary

Marietta, GA

#11 Oct 28, 2009
Yes, the Buckeyes need to improve, just like all football teams need to improve. I see OSU winning the next four games. Iowa and PSU are both over rated, slow football teams. Michigan is yesterdays program and if they get put on probation, they will be OSU's doormat for years to come. But, again reality will set in when OSU probably goes against USC in the Rose Bowl. This will be a good imeasure on PEE WEE TRESSEL coaching ablities. Did OSU improve from their close loss to USC, playing USC again will answer that question. PEE WEE TRESSEL is the one that needs to improve his coaching abilities. He needs to join the 2000 era of coaching. He is good only because he has over whelming talent in the easy Big Ten. His coaching abilities will be exposed again in a BCS bowl game. FASHION TIP! Please do not wear those sweater vests to your Bowl Game. They are out of style (they never were in style) and people make fun of you behind your back. GO GATORS!!!

Since: Oct 09

Arlington, VA

#12 Oct 28, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
Yes, the Buckeyes need to improve, just like all football teams need to improve. I see OSU winning the next four games. Iowa and PSU are both over rated, slow football teams. Michigan is yesterdays program and if they get put on probation, they will be OSU's doormat for years to come. But, again reality will set in when OSU probably goes against USC in the Rose Bowl. This will be a good imeasure on PEE WEE TRESSEL coaching ablities. Did OSU improve from their close loss to USC, playing USC again will answer that question. PEE WEE TRESSEL is the one that needs to improve his coaching abilities. He needs to join the 2000 era of coaching. He is good only because he has over whelming talent in the easy Big Ten. His coaching abilities will be exposed again in a BCS bowl game. FASHION TIP! Please do not wear those sweater vests to your Bowl Game. They are out of style (they never were in style) and people make fun of you behind your back. GO GATORS!!!
Too bad USC will be unavailable for the Rose Bowl game. They'll have their hands full in the BCS Championship game against ALabama.:} Go Bucks!
Doug

Doylestown, PA

#13 Oct 28, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
It's always great to get a Gator fan's perspective in these threads, lol especially your backhanded compliments about the Buckeyes likely chances of running the table this year. Has anyone noticed that Gator fans, as a result of their team's good fortune during the Urban Meyer - Tim Tebow era, now believe they are the oracles of truth about all things football....and now for good measure, fashion as well! Thanks, Gary.....I am sure we'll take your advice to heart. I can't help but ask, though: When Tebow takes his game to the NFL and when Urban Meyer takes his Yankee,Ohio bred ingenuity somewhere else....and Gator football becomes as irrelevant as it was during the Zook days, will you still share your wisdom with us?
Al in Tampa

Schodack Landing, NY

#14 Oct 28, 2009
"Tressel Sells Players on Urgent Need to Improve"?? This is the end of October. Isn't that something you cover the first days of Spring and Summer camp???
Nashville Buckeye

United States

#15 Oct 28, 2009
What a load of crap. Improve? Now? Where was this sense of urgency before the season started. I can only hope Tress mis-spoke. In the end, Bollman needs to go, Tress needs to hire a up-to-date O.C. to replace him and let him do his job. The O-line all needs to drop about 20 pounds and learn how to move laterally while pass blocking. Let Justen Boren go back to Michigan. And, oh, run Jermil Martin a lot in this game. He's the first to resemble a punishing Ohio State RB since Eddie George.
fall

San Francisco, CA

#16 Oct 28, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
FASHION TIP! Please do not wear those sweater vests to your Bowl Game. They are out of style (they never were in style) and people make fun of you behind your back. GO GATORS!!!
a floridian giving fashion advice? i bet you wear jorts (jean shorts), socks with sandals or crocs.

Since: Oct 09

Akron, OH

#17 Oct 28, 2009
Nashville Buckeye wrote:
What a load of crap. Improve? Now? Where was this sense of urgency before the season started. I can only hope Tress mis-spoke. In the end, Bollman needs to go, Tress needs to hire a up-to-date O.C. to replace him and let him do his job. The O-line all needs to drop about 20 pounds and learn how to move laterally while pass blocking. Let Justen Boren go back to Michigan. And, oh, run Jermil Martin a lot in this game. He's the first to resemble a punishing Ohio State RB since Eddie George.
First punishing back since Eddie? Are you kidding me? Do they have TVs in Nashville? Where were you the last three years? Did you see Bennie Wells or were you just lisening to Elvis music (good stuff by the way)?

BTW... I hope Jermil Martin does becomes the next Keith or Eddie or Bennie. But it was just a couple of carries agains a second team defense of a bad team. Lets not get too nutty about this just yet. If the O-line blocks like they should, Saine is the man.
mark45833

Delphos, OH

#18 Oct 28, 2009
Hmmm...Let's not forget Pryor is still the quarterback....Maybe if he would win a game instead of depending on the defense to win it for him it would be alot better. He sucks...Has from the very beginning.
firetressel-com

Miami, FL

#19 Oct 28, 2009
Why even schedule a game like this? Big Ten teams should play all teams in the league and play 2 non-conference games,with real teams, much like the PAC 10.
Go Bucks

Athens, OH

#20 Oct 28, 2009
And...anything about the porous offensive line?? Must not be any good news about that subject. Of course not, let's not talk about the offensive line and maybe people won't notice...yeah, sure. They better get better in a hurry with the November opponents looming.
Let's Go Bucks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Bauserman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A mixed legacy for Pryor, for sure | BuckeyeXtra (Jun '11) Sep '13 Buckeye-Bashing B... 110
News Toledo eyes another big upset (Sep '11) Aug '12 PEE PEE PETE 105
News Ohio State's Luke Fickell Should Learn More in ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 fightfan 10
News Michigan Football: 5 Reasons Wolverines Will Fi... (Oct '11) Dec '11 Matt from Columbus 148
News Postgame thoughts (Nov '11) Nov '11 Bville Rob 1
News Buckeyes are in a rush to honor former Ohio Sta... (Oct '11) Oct '11 jocephus 1
News Buckeye Rewind: Buckeyes will build on this (Oct '11) Oct '11 Buckeye-Bashing B... 7
More from around the web