BuckeyeXtra - Inside the Beat: How mu...

BuckeyeXtra - Inside the Beat: How much optimism is warranted?

There are 62 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 26, 2009, titled BuckeyeXtra - Inside the Beat: How much optimism is warranted?. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

As Ohio State dives into this off week -- that is, a week off from the Big Ten schedule with New Mexico State coming to town -- the Buckeyes do so coming off one of their more dominant wins of the season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nhz

Weehawken, NJ

#1 Oct 26, 2009
Maybe I missed it while sneaking a look here and there at work, but I have not come across any reaction to Herbie's comments on Gameday. Seems like a big meatball out there and the Dispatch team is ignoring it. Thoughts?
twcobra

Toledo, OH

#2 Oct 26, 2009
Ohio State's offense has to be more consistent to have a chance at the big ten title. With Iowa, Penn State and Michigan on the horizon, a very aggressive and tough offense is a must!
Redneck Buckeye

United States

#3 Oct 26, 2009
Why be optimistic when they haven't beaten any quality opponents? Beating MN is not any great accomplishment. They should have beaten them worse than they did!
Lefty9

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Oct 26, 2009
I heard the Gameday comments as well. If it worked to get the offense fired up I hope he blasts them every week. Nothing works better than proving the media wrong. We got a real tough November coming up. Let the motivation come from all directions to keep the team charged up.
Dog Lover

United States

#5 Oct 26, 2009
nhz wrote:
Maybe I missed it while sneaking a look here and there at work, but I have not come across any reaction to Herbie's comments on Gameday. Seems like a big meatball out there and the Dispatch team is ignoring it. Thoughts?
Herbie just spoke the truth. Let's not pound him for stating the facts.
Sorry but Mark May does the same thing, and he is mostly correct also.
Just because it's negative about the Buckeyes, doesn't mean it's wrong either.
ppablo8

Charleston, WV

#6 Oct 26, 2009
Ho-Hum, we defeated another weak Big TYen School from the "Big Easy"! Always great to win but I also beat my 8 year old son at everything too! Until you can beat the "big boys" better keep any positive comments back on the porch. If we defeat P.S., Iowa, and mi then we will be ready to take on a weak BCS team. Hopefully we do not have to play a top caliper team until tressel learns how to coach offense or we hire a "Real Offensive Coordinator"! No hope until we do and we will continue to be doomed against the Top 5 teams in the USA!!
Olentangy Iconoclast

New Albany, OH

#7 Oct 26, 2009
I agree with Ken, this game proves very little to nothing, Minnesota was ultra terrible, very nice phantom pass coverage by them. Next week they play a team that might be even worse, so it's the week after we'll begin to learn about how good or not good we are.

I have a reasonable amount of faith in the defense, not so much with our offense.
HappyNat

Columbus, OH

#8 Oct 26, 2009
nhz wrote:
Who cares what Herbie says? Why do buckeye fans love to get bent out of shape about his comments?
buckeye_36_1944

New York, NY

#9 Oct 26, 2009
Am I missing something? Ohio State beat a Big Ten opponent...on Homecoming...by nearly twice the spread...against a team that stomped Purdue two weeks ago? And you're complaining? Unless your twenty-five years old, you should be ashamed of your comments. We ALL want them to win big but let's be realistic. I'm not saying we don't need to improve because we have light years to go to be a great team but give notice to accomplishments as you quickly as you point out failures. Every Big Ten team hands out 85 scholarships a year.
Buckeye Bill

Commercial Point, OH

#10 Oct 26, 2009
HappyNat wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what Herbie says? Why do buckeye fans love to get bent out of shape about his comments?
I'm not getting all excited over this game. I know Pryor had good stats, he IS an excellent athlete but let's be honest, the Int was thrown late and behind the receiver and the 2 TD's weren't stellar throws. One ball was so short the receiver had to stop and wait and the other was thrown far enough away from the receiver that with any decent coverage, might have been picks. There were 2 others that hit defenders inthe hands.
I love the Buckeyes and want Pryor to excel but I'm worried. I'm sure we'll absolutely obliterate New Mexico State....everyone else has, But the last 3 will tell us if he's progressing. If not, we'll lose to PSU and Iowa. I'm hoping he's progressed.
It looks as though we're deep at TB....just maybe that'll take the pressure off of Terrell.
Buckeye Bill

Commercial Point, OH

#11 Oct 26, 2009
buckeye_36_1944 wrote:
Am I missing something? Ohio State beat a Big Ten opponent...on Homecoming...by nearly twice the spread...against a team that stomped Purdue two weeks ago? And you're complaining? Unless your twenty-five years old, you should be ashamed of your comments. We ALL want them to win big but let's be realistic. I'm not saying we don't need to improve because we have light years to go to be a great team but give notice to accomplishments as you quickly as you point out failures. Every Big Ten team hands out 85 scholarships a year.
Look at the game, not the stats...we didn't beat anyone respectable enough to think we've regained a good offense.
buckeye in Phoenix

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Oct 26, 2009
Dog Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark May hates OSU and the big ten, and he spews venom simply because the Big 10 has it's own network. Last yeare before the USC game, he was aksed which team had the better backs if Beanie was healthy. His response "USC and it's not even close." I liked USC depth at tailback, but there isn't one guy in that group who is going to carry the ball 25 times a game. How is Bush working out? I'm sorry, but that guy hates the big 10 and has lost all credibility. I refuse to watch ESPN because of him...
Buckeye Bill

Commercial Point, OH

#13 Oct 26, 2009
Dog Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
Herbie did speak the truth....If all he did was look at OSU through rose colored glasses like most of us he wouldn't have a job. He is a sportscaster.....telling the truth. I heard him and thought his points were valid. I'm an avid fan, season ticket holder and hate it when we lose, but there are 160+ teams in D-1 and no one wins it all every year. There are plenty of teams that would love to be in our position. We,( and that includes me ) are all spoiled.
This years team has much room for improvement. Herbie said our "O" line is the biggest group of underachivers this year, do we really disagree? probably not, will they get better? yes!!
Tiny280

Westerville, OH

#14 Oct 26, 2009
Where and, for the love of God, WHY have the Buckey's been hiding #41 (Mr Martin)? Over 10 yards per carry!?! Almost 7 yards per carry if we toss out the 39 yard off-tackle blast for a TD!?! I realize he was working against an already-softened-up D, but he is the only one of the tail-backs to show any hint of a power running game for the Bucks this year.

Mr Martin may have some faults at TB which were no apparent in that limited action (fumbleitis?), but he has the kind of HARD running style which will have Terrell Pryor's play-action freezing defenders in their tracks. As a converted fullback, it also seems likely that he is the best blocker available at the TB position.

Let's hope the Buckeye's brain-trust sees the potential of TP under center with Mr Martin at tailback, trips stacked to the wide, and strong on the short side. Just ten or fifteen plays out of that base formation would drive any Defensive Coordinator NUTS - and quiet a liquored-up crowd at Happy Valley!
Infalli-Tressel

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Oct 26, 2009
Atta boy Tiny280...that is, and has been the problem. Everyone should backoff of Pryor and ask the head coach about talent assessment. History lesson - JT was the guy that decided to start someone ahead of Krenzel AND Troy Smith in years past. There is a great QB somewhere on the bench. I'll bet Weis, Carrol, or U. Meyer could find him in 10 seconds.
irv

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Oct 26, 2009
Redneck Buckeye wrote:
Why be optimistic when they haven't beaten any quality opponents? Beating MN is not any great accomplishment. They should have beaten them worse than they did!
wait a min i come from a very small town and the QB from nms i found out is from the town next to mine hehehehehehehehe lets see who does better pryor or the guy from here hehehehehehehehehehe. no seriously here is actually a chance for tressel to really turn the dogs loose and really put some thump theropy on another team . to try and instill some killer instincts and not kiss there opponets butts and try to be friends .ohio state should try to rack up 80 points ,,i mean never settle for a field goal in the red zone vs this team ...i mean i want to see nfl style smash mouth football hehehehehe .then the season can turn around .

“DEC 7 1941”

Since: Dec 06

AWAYS A BUCKEYE!!!

#17 Oct 26, 2009
nhz wrote:
I enjoyed his comments. If anyone could be angry and get away with this, is a former captain of the Buckeyes. His dad is a former captain as well. I am sure that Archie received thousands of emails, phone calls and letters. He called EVERYONE out!!! He said the entire team was not playing inspired football....he couldn't have been more correct....case in point....how in the %$#@^ do you not take a team (Purdue)seriously....haven't we learned by now that every team is out to play their best and kick the stuffing out of us? I hope he continues to call the Buckeyes out.....in a public forum, enough is enough, its time to step up and stop all this being uninspired crap and suck it up and coach and play! GO BUCKS!!!! Keep it up Kirk!

“DEC 7 1941”

Since: Dec 06

AWAYS A BUCKEYE!!!

#18 Oct 26, 2009
Buckeye Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the game, not the stats...we didn't beat anyone respectable enough to think we've regained a good offense.
Any given Saturday my friend, any given Saturday...we've lost twice in the past two seasons to two unranked Big 10 teams, heck USC loses every year to unranked teams....in my opinion for what its worth, Michigan, Penn St & Iowa aren't all that...take a look a their schedule....they have alot to prove, just my opinion.....GO BUCKS
Ron Hatch Ohio Native

Cornelius, NC

#19 Oct 26, 2009
Redneck Buckeye wrote:
Any win is an accomplishment, No matter who the opponent is. When you start the game you better be ready to play and Ohio State was ready. Against Purdue they were not. On any given day anything can happen. A win is a win. By the way you don't think USC was a good team. OSU lost but they showed up and should have won.
David H Mills

San Clemente, CA

#20 Oct 26, 2009
Buckeye Bill is absolutely correct. I will believe Pryor has improved when he shows it against a Penn State, Iowa or michigan, but more importantly will tressel ever coach a team to victory? His ultra conservative coaching style and inability to put a creative offensive strategy together makes teh Buckeyes the most predictive team in college football. I love the Buckeyes and don't expect to win all the big games just give me our share of big wins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Bauserman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A mixed legacy for Pryor, for sure | BuckeyeXtra (Jun '11) Sep '13 Buckeye-Bashing B... 110
News Toledo eyes another big upset (Sep '11) Aug '12 PEE PEE PETE 105
News Ohio State's Luke Fickell Should Learn More in ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 fightfan 10
News Michigan Football: 5 Reasons Wolverines Will Fi... (Oct '11) Dec '11 Matt from Columbus 148
News Postgame thoughts (Nov '11) Nov '11 Bville Rob 1
News Buckeyes are in a rush to honor former Ohio Sta... (Oct '11) Oct '11 jocephus 1
News Buckeye Rewind: Buckeyes will build on this (Oct '11) Oct '11 Buckeye-Bashing B... 7
More from around the web