A Minnesotan hopes his rugby academy will help inner-city youths and produce elite athletes

Full story: TwinCities.com

Connor McGill, center, tosses the ball to a teammate as James Aldridge, right, defends during a Spearhead Rugby Academy practice drill last week in St.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
MFB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Judged:

Is there really a need for more "elite athletes"? Have we learned nothing from the likes of the prima donnas on the Vikings?
HTR

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

MFB - I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Brett Favre and Randy Moss might be a little different from a guy playing amateur rugby and attending St. Paul College.
jpocali

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Judged:

This is great! I would love to see rugby take hold in the US.
Wally

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Judged:

I hope rugby takes off in the US. maybe when the NFL strikes next year, rugby will get a little more attention. It truly is a much better game. A true spectators sport. much more entertaining than football.
g-del

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

hey the trade unions are hurting-- lets build them a stadium---- we can just use grant money!!
Leah

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Judged:

This article made me smile. I love rugby, it is one of the best sports ever. I used to play in college, and I watch the local college team (UW-Stout) when I can.

I sure hope it takes off in this country, it seems to me, that on the international professional circuit, it does not reward negative behavior, quite unlike how many NFL and NBA stars are rewarded for acting like thugs, perverts, and assholes.

I'll be glued to the TV
joe dirt

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

Judged:

Rugby should be huge in MN. Similar mindset as hockey & a heck of a lot cheaper to play..
Ryan Backman

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

For more information on playing men's amateur rugby in St. Paul, please visit www.saintpaulrugby.com or email recruiting [at] saintpaulrugby.com . No experience required!

Cheers!
To much government

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2010

If this is being done without using tax payer money then great and good luck, however, if tax money is required to keep this program going, then drop it now. It seems as though the tax payers are going to be rung out on a whim to get youth involved, just like someone promoted the boondoggle of night basketball to keep youth off the street at night.
jpocali

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

Ryan, were I 20 years younger I would have signed up already!
Leavemeoutofit

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2010

The Holders -

Thanks to stepping up and developing a program such as this. You are providing a critical and important service to the youth in the academy and the community you live in. Many people, including some of those that have commented above, will stand on the sidelines and complain, point out percieved issues and just generally try to tear your program down. It takes real guts to take a "leap of faith" for what you feel is right and build something from the ground up. Most won't even have the courage to think like that let along do something like you've done.

So for the rest of you, Step up or shut up!

Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent James Aldridge Discussions

Search the James Aldridge Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Notre Dame Football: Floyd ahead of schedule bu... (Oct '09) Oct '09 jim in arizona 2
Weis: Michael Floyd may be back (Oct '09) Oct '09 BigDan 1
Hughes fills in superbly for Notre Dame (Oct '09) Oct '09 BigDan 1
Notre Dame turns to Plan B already (Sep '09) Sep '09 jim in arizona 3
Notre Dame's Weis spots defensive flaws (Sep '09) Sep '09 BigDan 3
The Fight Of The Irish Both on and off The Field (Sep '09) Sep '09 SEC fan for Life 5
What Charlie Weis needs to do (Dec '08) Dec '08 Irishfansince1970 16
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••