New era begins for WVU, fans

Full story: NewsandSentinel.com

West Virginia and Marshall have been playing football against one another for more than a century - albeit the two instate programs have met on the field only 12 times - and rarely did the contest live up to its preseason hype.
Comments
21 - 26 of 26 Comments Last updated Sep 23, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nancy

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Baseball! What about baseball?
Gator

Mount Lookout, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Mr. Awesome has erectile disfunction. Can't get his herd on.
wvu

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

It seems all the WVU fans wanted to rid themselves of the "cream puff"..
Succeeded

East Carolina 1-0 2-2
L 27-6 UNC 2-2
L 48-10 #9 SC (4-0)

Marshall 1-0 2-2
L 69-34 #11 WVU (4-0)
L 27-24 Ohio (4-0)

O, and instead of getting an extra game every other year of ticket sales, they split with ECU.. Dumbasses.. Have fun seems you got your wish :) You dont have a "creampuff" like Marshall
Zac

Auburn, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Wow!!! That's quite a bit of activity for a couple of days. Let's see if I get this straight.

WVU fans think Marshall fans are cry-babies, and that WVU shouldn't play Marshall anymore, in football, at least.

Marshall fans are chiding WVU fans for such an attitude, because Marshall has kicked WVU's butt in other sports.

My wife & both attended WVU. She was born in Logan; I'm from NY and attended WVU 1972-1980; she,'74-'78. During that time, approximately 35% of the students were non-resident. The student population grew from approximately 23,000 to almost 30,000...just to help answer some questions I read.

As for the game, I wish it would continue. If I had my druthers, the 1st three games every year would be Marshall, VA Tech, and Pitt in that order. Either that, or Pitt would always be the last game of the year. Don't get me wrong; I like having Maryland on the schedule, but 12 games a year + a bowl (should it work out that way) is quite enough.

I would have liked to have seen WVU stay in the Big East. Geographically, it made more sense to me. I would have liked to have seen the Big East expand instead of getting raided all the time. But those running the Big East are out to fill their own pockets; they don't care for WVU...or Marshall for that matter.

I like the annual basketball game between Marshall & WVU on neutral ground. It kind of seems like it's WV's very own tournament. It would be better if Marshal invited a school & WVU invited a school making it a 4 game, mid-season tournament. That could be a lot of fun, especially if WVU & Marshall wound up in the final.

That's the kind of thinking I prefer: the "how we can do" as opposed to "why we can't or shouldn't do." Given how hospitable people were to me and my family when we 1st arrived, it's hard to believe West Virginians can't seem to tolerate other West Virginians. I know I root for Marshall...when they're playing teams other than WVU's. What's so hard about that?

(By the way, that Cato kid is something else. He's racked up some outrageous stats so far. Now, if Marshall could put together a defense...)

Anyway, the Hatfields & the McCoys have called a truce. Whats say we call for one? I just hate to see a good thing get lost, is all. Howza bout it?
fat man in the party van

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

pinrodno77 wrote:
i am a marshall fan and i glad this series is over,wvu does'nt want to play US and thats a fact, good im all for it. we will go our way, marshall can do better without them the state of west virginia only wants wvu to do good the hell with marshall,did you know that wvu gets 6 cents on every can of soda sold in the state.what does marshall get nothing but rude comments had bad they are, i say lets move on and show who the better university is GO HERD.
that's because wvu represents the whole state....Marshall only represents a city
whatever

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Wvu represents the whole state then they should have represented by playing the game not screaming we want a plane crash. I live in Huntington and I have been raised in WV. Even thou I know Marshall always gets their a22es handed to them by WVU, after them chanting that, Its embarrassed to say I'm a WVU fan.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Geno Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The stars have aligned for Oklahoma to win Big 12 Aug 11 KisteK 1
Terps-WVU to kick off at 3:30 (Sep '13) Sep '13 Payback 5
West Virginia Mountaineers are a team that will... (Jun '13) Sep '13 TUPU 3
Geno Smith Should Be Considered Front-Runner fo... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
No QBs stand out in this draft (Feb '13) May '13 PEE PEE PETE 28
Jets rookie QB Geno Smith denies he's a diva (May '13) May '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
With the first pick... (Apr '13) May '13 milwaukee69 27

Search the Geno Smith Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••