BuckeyeXtra

Reaction to Jim Tressel's resignation: "I think that if it had been me, I would've made the decision at the press conference to say, 'I own this, I'm totally responsible and I deserve the opportunity to make this right and I will make it right.' I don't know why they didn't do that. Full Story
Yannibgood

United States

#1 May 31, 2011
Like the majority of Buckeye fans I hoped he could have weathered the storm however I suppose it had to go down this way for the health of the program.

I imagine that many atheletic departments around the nation are in code red mode covering tracks and the like. We are not unique.

Good luck Luke
larryp713

United States

#2 May 31, 2011
It is such a shame... I understand that he had to resign, but the real problem is the sanctimonious NCAA that levies these unflexible conditions on student athletes. All people should be allowed to sell their own stuff or signatures. It is a protected right, in my opinion.
Coach Tressell cared more for his players than probably any coach in America. This hurts all college football.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 May 31, 2011
It starts with the quality of your recruits. When you only go after 4 and 5 star athletes many feel bigger than the school. Pryor played Tressell and OSU with his dog and pony show before he signed on. Tressell let him act bigger than OSU. He should have withdrawn the scholarship saying we don't need people like you. And Tressell has no problem taking Chris Carter from Cleveland who was fondling 14 year old girls pretending he needed to fit them for uniforms. That shows that winning trumps character for Tressell. He ultimately created his own demise.
Tennessee Vols Fan

Charleston, TN

#4 May 31, 2011
Ohio State.. welcome to the "I-know-I-violated-the-ru les-but-if-I-don't-say-anythin g-maybe-the-problem-will-go-aw ay" club.

Bruce Pearl may be the V.P of that club, but Jim Tressell has just been elected president.

Unanimously.

What I find amusing, is the hogwash from all the former players: "Oh, it wasn't that bad", "Oh, he did so much for the program", "Oh, it wasn't like it was giving the players steroids or something."

It's not a question of how bad the infractions were. It's the fact that they were committed at all. Is it legal to drive 90 miles an hour down I-71 to Cincinnati, if the cops don't see you?

The former players defending OSU, Jim Tressell and the dudes who got caught, need to shut their mouths. Just be quiet and continue their post-OSU lives. If evidence surfaces that they could have known about stuff like that and didn't say anything when THEY were on campus, their credibility is shot, too.

In my opinion, their credibility is already tarnished.. by them defending the program and the coach who knows the rules were violated, and said nothing.
Optimistic Buck

Columbus, OH

#5 May 31, 2011
The whole culture surrounding college football is well beyond reclamation. When signing day (overblown event) was recapped, the lousy Columbus paper led with the "one who didn't sign' instead of the 22 who did. The news media continued to make huge print about Pryor long before he ever signed, and additionally at the expense of the classmates who did sign. How did the squad become so divided when Pryor wasn't starting?
Now we are 'discovering' that players have been receiving preferential treatment since...well 1957 under Woody Hayes will be on the list...how about before Tressel? under Cooper, under Bruce...?
The fan base (including businesses) have done way more to violate than Tressel but he has way more responsibility that the private sector, so he gets it.
I would like to know when players will start to be held accountable, and when their actions won't be transferred to some coach's watch list.
At what point will the car dealership be downgraded. What about the Doctors that provide care on the sidelines and afterward for a smaller fee, or donation, or within a time frame ...all of which are not available to the general public?? will this be construed as a benefit also?
I am not going to go on about the causes but I will say that it is too bad we lost the coach. it would have been better to lose the QB and it would be better to lose the newspaper.
RRogers

Bixby, OK

#6 May 31, 2011
Had this been a Big Twelve school..NCAA would have "spilt blood" back in December with Off-The-Charts Sanctions!
It took the tatoos. OK....
Illibuck

Chicago, IL

#7 May 31, 2011
Of all of these commentators, only Spielman is right on the money as far as I'm concerned. In that regard, I am reminded of a couple of quotes from Chapter 1 of Tressel’s “The Winner’s Manual (For the Game of Life):“In defining success at Youngstown State and Ohio State, we built on the thoughts of Coach Wooden and added one tiny but powerful idea. We expanded his definition like this: "Success is the inner satisfaction and peace of mind that come from knowing I did the best I was capable of doing for the group." “People tend to worry more about how something affects "me," as opposed to how it affects "us." But if we focus on what we ourselves can get rather than on what we can do for the team, we'll miss a great opportunity.”

Well, Tress missed a great opportunity in March to put his alleged love for the team, the university and the fans above his own needs or his love of self -- by resigning immediately. Instead, he (and the university) kept trying to take steps that were completely insignificant in light of the full year of dissembling that he had done both internally and publicly. The initial 2 game suspension was a ridiculous slap on the wrist, and the too little too late 5 game suspension after a total public uproar ignored the very obvious fact that Tressel's lying was much more serious than players trading their things for discounted tattoos. Thus, throughout, the while, the university sounded stupid or subservient(e.g. Gee's idiotic "I hope he doesn't dismiss me") and Tressel sounded completely insincere (e.g. "I don't think less of myself" comment, his easily debunked excuses, and his after the fact desire to go through the same punishment as the less culpable players). And now we know that it was ultimately the school that forced his resignation. In other words, Tress remained almost delusional throughout, thinking that he could dance his way through it. at end, the circus that ensued could have been largely avoided had Tressel followed his own supposed philosophies. Instead, we're now 3 months down the road and the very state of the program (what sanctions will be handed down) and the attractiveness of the vacancy hang in the balance.
detillionv

Glendale, AZ

#8 May 31, 2011
When Michigan is beating the pants off State again they will be sorry they let him go.
detillionv

Glendale, AZ

#9 May 31, 2011
Jim Tressel is a great man, great men are prone to make mistakes his mistake was covering for six or more players who did not deserve his devotion the players are the ones who should of been disposed of. Why do college teams recruit boys who are thugs. Just like Claret
Rick

Wadsworth, OH

#10 May 31, 2011
I am very disappointed that Coach Tressel was not given the opportunity to defend himself. Without doubt, the University forced his resignation. I am sure the Coach would not have let the bastards get him down otherwise. Heaps of scorn are being placed on Prior and his Coach now. But, when their talents were needed to line the pockets of the Sugar Bowl sponsors, the horrendous violations were put on hold. The NCAA can choose to enforce rules or not depending on who's OX is being gored. Perhaps, a mere Coach didn't have enough money to pay them off.
Curt from Boise

Aliquippa, PA

#11 May 31, 2011
Karma is a thron in Gee's saddle right about now. Ain't it GREAT!
Curt from Boise

Aliquippa, PA

#12 May 31, 2011
Karma is thorn in Gee's saddle right about now. Ain't it GREAT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dane Sanzenbacher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aurora assuming underdog role against powerful ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 R michael smith 1
Sanzenbacher catches passes, attention (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 11
47 Ohio State Players On Active NFL Rosters | W... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Matt from Columbus 16
Preseason countdown: No. 21 Ohio State (Aug '11) Aug '11 Edgar The Shopkeeper 1
Ex-Ohio State Players Sign NFL Free Agent Contr... (Jul '11) Aug '11 Matt from Columbus 12
QB Devlin to Miami (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pick 3
Former Buckeyes WR Dane Sanzenbacher Gets the "... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Truebuckeyefan 3
More from around the web