NFL draft analysts: After top two, Ch...

NFL draft analysts: After top two, Christian Ponder might be next-best QB option for Vikings

There are 42 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 25, 2011, titled NFL draft analysts: After top two, Christian Ponder might be next-best QB option for Vikings. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Christian Ponder #7 of the Florida State Seminoles throws for a first down during a game against the Florida Gators at Doak Campbell Stadium on November 27, 2010 in Tallahassee, Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Whatever

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Apr 25, 2011
Naaa... I'd go with Mallett.
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#2 Apr 26, 2011
Cam Newton will be a bomb. Remember JaMarcus Russell?
jhbart001

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 26, 2011
I would say try and get a free agent QB, draft an Olineman in the first round. or move back and get that third round pick back than take a QB in a later round. and use the second round pick to sure up the secondary
The Most Interesting Man

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 26, 2011
Three words for the Vikings draft committee: Locker, Locker, Locker! Billick can take a long walk off a short pier.
The Most Interesting Man

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Apr 26, 2011
Well I see we're all clueless spammers whom nobody agrees with. Well done everyone.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 26, 2011
Nostradumass wrote:
Cam Newton will be a bomb. Remember JaMarcus Russell?
Why didn't you compare him to Ryan Leaf or David Carr or Heath Shuler?
Joe

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Apr 26, 2011
I think Dalton or Ponder would work perfectly. Both are good with anticipation and timing. Maybe not the strongest arms in the draft but definitely could develop into multi-year starters.
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#8 Apr 26, 2011
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they black?
Nordician

Rock Island, IL

#9 Apr 26, 2011
For the Vikings faithful amongst us, do not despair. With Mr. Childress sitting on the sidelines, we can now move to the next phase where intellect and insight overrule arrogance and ignorance.

For the Vikings to pick well at QB, they really must peel back the mental mindset of these young men, and determine the character that'll sustain these guys through thick and thin.

It's important for the Vikings to differentiate between ego vs. bravado, confidence vs. cockiness, empathy vs. sympathy, and emotional maturity. People are motivated by the drive for success, or the fear of failure. When you look at the greatest QB's of all time, you will find that those who will fight through the tough times are more fearful of failing, which drives them to success. But...success isn't their goal, and money isn't their desire. It's to win, and to prove everyone else that you were good enough, strong enough, and smart enough to prevail....even when 'the experts' said you couldn't.

When you find a young man w/ the physical skills and they also posses a healthy ego that's balanced with empathy (I can walk a mile in your shoes), you then possess an athlete who can lead this franchise for the next 10-15 years. To do otherwise is a crime against the Viking community, and further proof that the powers to be @ Winter Park should be reading the bible more often; in particular Luke 23:34.
Purple Haze

Center City, MN

#10 Apr 26, 2011
It might be wise for the Vikes to focus on trading down in the 1st round and pick up an additional 2nd round pick. The team could then address O-line later in the 1st round and D-line and secondary with the two 2nd round picks.

It's time to face reality with the Vikes they are most likely in rebuilding mode. Sure with some savy draft picks and free agent spending (if there is free agency this year) they could squeeze a couple more wins out next year maybe get 7 or 8 wins total. But the ultimate goal is Superbowl, right? To get to that level they need some serious upgrades and to rejuvinate the roster with youth. The 3 picks they could recieve in the first 2 rounds would give them three solid building blocks for the future.

Here is another thought, why not tank the 2011 season. Andrew Luck is a franchise type QB and will surely go number 1 next year. The Vikes could pilage another teams stable of draft picks and a young player or two with the trade of Adrian Peterson, who still has some prime left in him, alah the Hershel Walker trade which essentially wrapped up 3 super rings for the Cowboys.

Infuse the team with youth, maybe win 1 or 2 games in 2011, which could end up being a lock out shortened season anyways, and get the number one pick next season. This team could be solid for years to come with "Luck" at the helm and the right mix of youth and veterans.
Justice

Lakeville, MN

#11 Apr 26, 2011
What makes Billick a QB guru? The reason they fired him in Baltimore was his inability to identify and develop a respectable starting QB! Mallet is as good a guess as anyone. With the tools he has Musgrave should be able to develop him.
Todd

Bismarck, ND

#12 Apr 26, 2011
Whats wrong with Joe Webb?
Packers Fan

Rock Island, IL

#13 Apr 26, 2011
Except the Vikings would never, ever, ever get a new stadium with that approach. Owner has to meet the public at least 1/2 way. Even though last year was a bust, it didn't start out that way. Everyone who was an 'expert' thought that the right pieces were in place to repeat, except the NFL is far too dynamic a league to sit still from one season to the next w/out always keeping your foot on the pedal (if you're the GM or Player Personnel guy). Guys quit on Childress, which was inevitable since Favre quit on him a whole season earlier. Bevell was the poor sap who had to serve as marriage counselor. Don't disagree with your thoughts around rebuilding, but you can't tank in the NFL....on purpose. McKinney would be good trade bait, as would Ray Edwards, Henderson, Berriam, and a few other aging players. Don't disagree with your Peterson trade suggestion either, but you've got to give the fans something for their $75 tickets. Without AD, you quickly become a cold Omaha.
Purple Haze wrote:
It might be wise for the Vikes to focus on trading down in the 1st round and pick up an additional 2nd round pick. The team could then address O-line later in the 1st round and D-line and secondary with the two 2nd round picks.
It's time to face reality with the Vikes they are most likely in rebuilding mode. Sure with some savy draft picks and free agent spending (if there is free agency this year) they could squeeze a couple more wins out next year maybe get 7 or 8 wins total. But the ultimate goal is Superbowl, right? To get to that level they need some serious upgrades and to rejuvinate the roster with youth. The 3 picks they could recieve in the first 2 rounds would give them three solid building blocks for the future.
Here is another thought, why not tank the 2011 season. Andrew Luck is a franchise type QB and will surely go number 1 next year. The Vikes could pilage another teams stable of draft picks and a young player or two with the trade of Adrian Peterson, who still has some prime left in him, alah the Hershel Walker trade which essentially wrapped up 3 super rings for the Cowboys.
Infuse the team with youth, maybe win 1 or 2 games in 2011, which could end up being a lock out shortened season anyways, and get the number one pick next season. This team could be solid for years to come with "Luck" at the helm and the right mix of youth and veterans.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Apr 26, 2011
tjack deserves another year, he was showing a lot of progress
Advice

United States

#15 Apr 26, 2011
I like Mallett, but I am starting to think the Vikes should draft a top notch O lineman and start Webb.
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#16 Apr 26, 2011
Advice wrote:
I like Mallett, but I am starting to think the Vikes should draft a top notch O lineman and start Webb.
Did you see Mallet and Cam Newton on the ESPN2 show with John Gruden, I wouldn't hire either of them to mow my lawn.
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#17 Apr 26, 2011
Justice wrote:
What makes Billick a QB guru? The reason they fired him in Baltimore was his inability to identify and develop a respectable starting QB! Mallet is as good a guess as anyone. With the tools he has Musgrave should be able to develop him.
Why does everyone think Bill Musgrave is the Quarterback developer from heaven?

Childress came in with the same resume and look what he did.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#18 Apr 26, 2011
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Cam Newton isn't as bad as Jamarcus Russell. He has a lot more personality and a better work ethic. Russell needs to pull his head out of his Sorb.
Zack

Tallahassee, FL

#19 Apr 26, 2011
Nostradumass wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does everyone think Bill Musgrave is the Quarterback developer from heaven?
Childress came in with the same resume and look what he did.
Because Musgrave isnt our head coach and Bonehead Chilly was.
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#20 Apr 26, 2011
Zack wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Musgrave isnt our head coach and Bonehead Chilly was.
who cares, everyone thinks they are quarterback developers. No proof of that yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Ponder Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Tale Of Two Ponders (Sep '13) Sep '13 Laughing Bear Fan 22
News Vikings support Christian Ponder, but coach say... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Sodomites 3
News NFL Quarterbacks That Shouldn't Be Starting (May '13) May '13 flbadcatowner 16
News Souhan: It's time already: Bench McNabb and sta... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Purple Faithful 13
News College Football Preseason Top 25 (Jul '11) Aug '11 BigDan 3
News Quarterback uncertainty for Miami Hurricanes, F... (Jul '11) Jul '11 bakers dozen 2
News Anyone ready for Sooners-Seminoles? (May '11) May '11 FSU 1
More from around the web